|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hart returns to the Fowler suite is Washington, what does Patricia Pickering apologize for?
2. Whose baby is Daphne pregnant with?
3. Who arrives at the cottage to examine Moore?
4. If the Pelican is not spotted by the Japanese, what will it do every morning?
5. What does MacArthur want to have in the air that Godfrey tells Pluto about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the MAGIC program work?
2. How do Rickabee and Pickering differ on the rescue mission?
3. After Ernie leaves the suite, what do the naval men discuss?
4. What is Moore's relationship with Joanne?
5. Why do Rickabee and Pickering oppose Dillon at the Office of Management Analysis?
6. What does Ellen decide to do when she is forced to move out of the cottage?
7. What is happening as a result of MacArthur's orders?
8. What happens when the house detective comes to Hart's suite?
9. What is surprising about the Japanese attack on Guadalcanal?
10. What is the decoded MAGIC message received in the Dungeon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jake. What is his role in the story? What was Griffin trying to accomplish by creating Jake's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Griffin mean by calling the book Line of Fire? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of family in Line of Fire. What does family mean for Pickering? What does family mean for McCoy? How are these definitions similar? Is family supportive and in what ways? How do these definitions compare to a traditional family in 20th century America on the west coast?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)