|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Japanese Betty Bombers does Koffer see?
2. What is Osgood's position in the Navy?
3. What is the fighter squadron that Pick will be joining?
4. What did Pickering leave behind at the hospital before he came to the suite?
5. Where is Pick dining with his grandfather, Andrew Foster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the Coastwatchers?
2. How does McCoy assist the war effort in Guadalcanal?
3. How does Fowler assist his wounded friend Pickering?
4. Why is Hart summoned by McCoy?
5. How does Koffler respond when he finds the camp is empty?
6. What is the significance of the crates in the freighter that docks in Melbourne?
7. What is the formality that Fowler experiences when he travels to the White House?
8. How do Pickering and Stecker end up in Pensacola?
9. What does Zimmerman discover about Thomas McCoy's deployment?
10. What two actions taken by Pick can result in a court martial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and sexuality between different characters is a recurring theme in Line of Fire. How does Jake's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Jake? How does his feelings develop for Veronica and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and honor are themes that occur throughout the book. Who is courageous? Who is honorable? What events call upon courage or honor in individual characters? Who responds and in what ways? Who emerges in a powerful way as a result of courageous action?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism occurs throughout Line of Fire. Identify 2-3 examples. What is the significance to the main characters of Pickering and McCoy and to the story line?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)