|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship does Osgood have with McCoy?
2. Where does Zimmerman go with McCoy's seabag?
3. What organization does Pickering want to leave?
4. For how long are the crates unloaded without being opened?
5. Where does Rickabee have orders for Hart to travel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pickering respond to his ill health?
2. How do the Americans keep their troops fresh for the attack on Henderson Field?
3. How does Rickabee assist Pickering?
4. What is the importance of the Coastwatchers?
5. How does McCoy assist the war effort in Guadalcanal?
6. Why do Pick and Stecker find that they have to explain their actions often to superiors?
7. What does Zimmerman discover about Thomas McCoy's deployment?
8. How does Fowler and Knox try to help Pickering?
9. How does Pickering respond to his promotion?
10. How do McCoy and Sage make their plans together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and sexuality between different characters is a recurring theme in Line of Fire. How does Jake's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Jake? How does his feelings develop for Veronica and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
Essay Topic 2
Motive is a powerful driving force behind action. Why is motive important in determining the actions and behavior of the soldiers? What are the motives of McCoy? How do they contrast with that of Pickering or Jake? Where do they coincide?
Essay Topic 3
In Line of Fire, Griffin's German society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of the technology that McCoy uses? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? How is technology associated with power and rebellion?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)