|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting with the President when Fowler arrives?
2. How far away are the Japanese troops on Guadalcanal from Henderson Field?
3. What role does Galloway play in the Navy?
4. What is the name of the freighter mentioned in Chapter 1?
5. What hotel in the family chain do Stecker and Pick wish to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pickering learn from the President about his assignment?
2. What does Koffler do to warn others about the Japanese planes?
3. How does McCoy assist the war effort in Guadalcanal?
4. How does Fowler assist his wounded friend Pickering?
5. What does Zimmerman discover about Thomas McCoy's deployment?
6. What is the message that Feldt receives and why does Banning dislike Mitchell?
7. How does Koffler respond when he finds the camp is empty?
8. How does Rickabee assist Pickering?
9. How does Pick respond to news of his father's illness?
10. How does Fowler and Knox try to help Pickering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Griffin employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Line of Fire ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Line of Fire. What is the overall setting? How do the Solomon Islands change over time? How is San Francisco different from the depiction of San Diego? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in Line of Fire?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of family in Line of Fire. What does family mean for Pickering? What does family mean for McCoy? How are these definitions similar? Is family supportive and in what ways? How do these definitions compare to a traditional family in 20th century America on the west coast?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)