|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hart attend boot camp?
2. What does Hart do before he enters the Marine Corps?
3. On what island do Steve Koffler and Ian Bruce spot a squadron of Japanese Betty Bombers?
4. While Fowler calls room service, what does Pickering do?
5. What does Fowler help Pickering do before going to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thomas McCoy pose a problem for the Marines?
2. Why do Pick and Stecker find that they have to explain their actions often to superiors?
3. What does Pickering argue about with Fowler in order to get out of the Navy?
4. How does Pickering respond to his promotion?
5. What happens when the radio goes off before the invasion?
6. What does Koffler do to warn others about the Japanese planes?
7. How do McCoy and Sage make their plans together?
8. What is the significance of the crates in the freighter that docks in Melbourne?
9. Why is Hart summoned by McCoy?
10. How do the Americans keep their troops fresh for the attack on Henderson Field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and sexuality between different characters is a recurring theme in Line of Fire. How does Jake's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Jake? How does his feelings develop for Veronica and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
Essay Topic 2
Pickering and McCoy are two of the most active characters in discussing their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Pickering had a direct influence upon? What are some events that McCoy had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to people that attempt to rebel against rules? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
In Line of Fire, Griffin's German society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of the technology that McCoy uses? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? How is technology associated with power and rebellion?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)