|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Galloway play in the Navy?
2. How do Stecker and Pick reach Long Island?
3. Where was Zimmerman stationed with McCoy?
4. What arrangements does Pick make for Hart for his stay?
5. Why does Banning not like Mitchell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zimmerman discover about Thomas McCoy's deployment?
2. How is Buka Island described in Chapter 1?
3. What is the significance of the crates in the freighter that docks in Melbourne?
4. What is the formality that Fowler experiences when he travels to the White House?
5. What happens when the radio goes off before the invasion?
6. How does Koffler avoid detection by the Betty Bombers?
7. What is the importance of the Coastwatchers?
8. How do Pickering and Stecker end up in Pensacola?
9. What does Koffler do to warn others about the Japanese planes?
10. How do the Americans keep their troops fresh for the attack on Henderson Field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and sexuality between different characters is a recurring theme in Line of Fire. How does Jake's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Jake? How does his feelings develop for Veronica and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
Essay Topic 2
Griffin espouses a radical approach to work and employment that would alter the structure of society. He describes the worker in Line of Fire as a proletariat like Marxian philosophy who is rebelling against the party in power. Describe the worker in Line of Fire. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that Griffin discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Griffin mean by calling the book Line of Fire? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)