|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in New Jersey is the Naval Air Station?
2. Where does McCoy arrive with Moore to recruit men?
3. What is Osgood's position in the Navy?
4. Who is injured and waits at Henderson Field?
5. With what family member of Sage does Ken make plans to have dinner with before he leaves on assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the formality that Fowler experiences when he travels to the White House?
2. How is Buka Island described in Chapter 1?
3. What is the message that Feldt receives and why does Banning dislike Mitchell?
4. How do Pickering and Stecker end up in Pensacola?
5. How does Pickering respond to his promotion?
6. How do McCoy and Sage make their plans together?
7. How does Rickabee assist Pickering?
8. What does Pickering learn from the President about his assignment?
9. How do the Americans keep their troops fresh for the attack on Henderson Field?
10. How does Koffler respond when he finds the camp is empty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Line of Fire with another of Griffin's other books in his combat series. Which is, in your opinion, better? Explain. What future scenarios might you want to see in upcoming books? Which characters would you like to see portrayed? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Love and sexuality between different characters is a recurring theme in Line of Fire. How does Jake's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Jake? How does his feelings develop for Veronica and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Line of Fire. What is the overall setting? How do the Solomon Islands change over time? How is San Francisco different from the depiction of San Diego? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in Line of Fire?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)