|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hotel in the family chain do Stecker and Pick wish to visit?
2. Where in Long Island is the plant that Pickering is going to visit?
3. What do Hart and Pick take the plane out even though Pick has never flown it before?
4. Who is aboard a R4D heading for Guadalcanal?
5. What organization will Pickering be head of as a result of his promotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fowler and Knox try to help Pickering?
2. Why do Pick and Stecker find that they have to explain their actions often to superiors?
3. How does Thomas McCoy pose a problem for the Marines?
4. How do the Americans keep their troops fresh for the attack on Henderson Field?
5. What does Koffler do to warn others about the Japanese planes?
6. What happens when the radio goes off before the invasion?
7. What does Pickering learn from the President about his assignment?
8. What is the message that Feldt receives and why does Banning dislike Mitchell?
9. How does Pickering respond to his ill health?
10. How does McCoy assist the war effort in Guadalcanal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Griffin uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Line of Fire. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Line of Fire is a classic military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Griffin espouses a radical approach to work and employment that would alter the structure of society. He describes the worker in Line of Fire as a proletariat like Marxian philosophy who is rebelling against the party in power. Describe the worker in Line of Fire. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that Griffin discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)