• In Melbourne, the freighter John T. Rogers Jr. docks.
• The crates that are unloaded contain twenty thousand cavalry sabers. An Australian firm is hired to convert the sabers into machetes.
• One hundred of the machetes are requisitioned by First Lieutenant Joseph L. Howard for use in a parachute drop on Baku Island.
• Sub Lieutenant Jakob Reeves is at Buka, reporting on the Japanese. He is a Coastwatcher and his radio goes off before the invasion. Sergeant Steven M. Koffler and Howard are parachuted in with a replacement radio.
• Howard and Reeves build a tree house for an observation post.
• Captain Charley Galloway is aboard a R4D heading for Guadalcanal, where they land at Henderson Field.
• Galloway talks to the crew and stops to visit with the injured First Lieutenant David Schneider.
• As he is talking, a siren sounds indicating an attack and many of the planes...
This section contains 2,953 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)