|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lincoln respond when a Democratic Representative opposed him as "King Lincoln"?
2. What was Lincoln waiting for before making the Emancipation Proclamation?
3. Who was Simon Cameron?
4. What action did Congress take on slavery at the end of 1864?
5. What was McClellan's feeling about the President and Congress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major diplomatic problem confronted Lincoln at the end of the Civil War?
2. How did Lincoln bolster his support in the face of criticism over McClellan's inaction?
3. Describe the genesis and delivery of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
4. What difficulties did Salmon Chase create for Lincoln?
5. How does Donald account for Grant's success in the West, such that Lincoln wanted to appoint him to run the Union army?
6. Describe Lincoln's falling out with Salmon Chase.
7. How did Lincoln handle the decision of when to liberate the slaves?
8. How did Lincoln establish the terms for peace?
9. What was the public's initial reaction to the Civil War?
10. Describe Lincoln's final falling out with General McClellan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Lincoln naïve to think that the Southern states could be brought back into the Union after seceding? Did he underestimate the passions associated with slavery, and the benefits associated with the Union? Was he misled by advisers?
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln was elected to the Presidency as an honest rail-splitting, hard-working man, but he himself was aloof from the image. In what ways did Lincoln retain his childhood self, and his father's personality, and in what ways did Lincoln diverge from the manual labor of his father's pioneer life? Did Lincoln change cultures, or did he bring pioneer virtues to the White House when they were needed there?
Essay Topic 3
Lincoln made extensive efforts to unify the splintered Republican Party, which was divided on slavery. In what ways did he try to accommodate the slave states' positions, to negotiate to bring them into a coalition? What factors prevented Lincoln from bargaining with the slave states and preventing the Civil War?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)