|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did Lincoln's response to Greeley have?
2. What was the new name of the Republican Party?
3. What is considered the most controversial action Lincoln took during the Civil War?
4. How did the Civil War progress after initial Union losses?
5. How did the war effort affect international relations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lincoln's plans to run for re-election.
2. What problems did Lincoln have with General McClellan?
3. Describe the genesis and delivery of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
4. How did Lincoln establish the terms for peace?
5. How did the Civil War create international difficulties for Lincoln?
6. Why did Lincoln not liberate all the slaves early in the war?
7. How did Lincoln bolster his support in the face of criticism over McClellan's inaction?
8. What was the public's initial reaction to the Civil War?
9. Describe Lincoln's relationship with his wife during the hard times of the war.
10. What problems did Lincoln have preserving the integrity of the free states?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lincoln declined to serve in a seat he had won, he ended up back in Springfield, where he was involved in local politics and he earned himself a name as a local lawyer. How was Lincoln's experience as a local figure related to his experience as a national figure?
Essay Topic 2
What was the effect of the Lincoln-Douglas debates on Lincoln's career? How did Lincoln change as a thinker and as a politician as a result of the debates?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Lincoln not emancipate the slaves early in the war? What practical factors led him to hold off on emancipation? Did he ultimately gain by waiting, or did he lose some authority or political capital by waiting for the right time?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)