|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What document justified the controversial step Lincoln took during the Civil War?
2. Why did Lincoln not free all slaves early in the Civil War?
3. Where did Union troops suffer an early defeat?
4. Who was Lincoln's chief opponent for the nomination for President in 1864?
5. How did the war effort affect international relations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lincoln change the command structure of the army in order to get better results out of General McClellan?
2. Describe the genesis and delivery of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
3. What problems did Lincoln have with General McClellan?
4. Describe Lincoln's approach to the question of slavery relative to his conduct of the war.
5. What was the state of the Union after Lincoln was re-elected?
6. What major diplomatic problem confronted Lincoln at the end of the Civil War?
7. What was the public's initial reaction to the Civil War?
8. Describe Lincoln's relationship with General Hooker.
9. How did Lincoln establish the terms for peace?
10. How did Lincoln handle the decision of when to liberate the slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Lincoln's role in the South's secession? Was it Lincoln's personal political stance, or were there other, larger issues behind the Southern states' timing in announcing their secession?
Essay Topic 2
What were the benefits and what were the risks of Lincoln's cabinet of enemies? Did this arrangement ultimately benefit Lincoln? Did it hurt him? Discuss instances in which it was helpful or harmful.
Essay Topic 3
Was Lincoln naïve to think that the Southern states could be brought back into the Union after seceding? Did he underestimate the passions associated with slavery, and the benefits associated with the Union? Was he misled by advisers?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)