|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one consequence of Lincoln's letter to Greeley?
2. With whom did Lincoln ultimately replace McClellan?
3. What were the border states afraid of?
4. What was McClellan's feeling about the President and Congress?
5. What effect did Lincoln's response to Greeley have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lincoln's approach to the question of slavery relative to his conduct of the war.
2. How did Lincoln establish the terms for peace?
3. What problems did Lincoln face from Minnesota?
4. What problems did Lincoln have preserving the integrity of the free states?
5. What major diplomatic problem confronted Lincoln at the end of the Civil War?
6. How does Donald account for Grant's success in the West, such that Lincoln wanted to appoint him to run the Union army?
7. Why did Lincoln not liberate all the slaves early in the war?
8. Describe Lincoln's final falling out with General McClellan.
9. What was the public's initial reaction to the Civil War?
10. Describe Lincoln's relationship with General Hooker.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lincoln's temperament in relation to his career as a politician and leader. What role did his depressions play in his career? What role did his circumspection and rationality?
Essay Topic 2
What was Lincoln's role in the South's secession? Was it Lincoln's personal political stance, or were there other, larger issues behind the Southern states' timing in announcing their secession?
Essay Topic 3
How did Lincoln withhold or divulge information over time, and how did his thinking about what to divulge and when to divulge it change? What did he learn about managing information? What did he have to suffer in order to learn this lesson?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)