|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry did Lincoln begin to represent in court after he returned to Illinois?
2. Who was the initial favorite for the nomination for President in the 1860 race?
3. Who was Hannibal Hamlin?
4. What was the first election Lincoln won?
5. Where did Lincoln's law clients come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Lincoln start his family?
2. What part did Lincoln's private life play in the years after he returned to Springfield?
3. Describe Lincoln's strategy for choosing his advisers.
4. How did Lincoln's legal practice bring him into questions of statewide or national importance?
5. Compare and contrast Lincoln's relationship with his wife and his relationship with his partner, William Herndon.
6. Describe Lincoln's entrance into politics.
7. What was Lincoln's relationship with the image his supporters presented of him?
8. What was the effect of Lincoln's election on national politics?
9. Describe the Lincoln-Douglas debates.
10. What was Lincoln's early relationship with his father like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were the power brokers behind Lincoln's Presidential nomination and his ultimate election? What coalitions and influences worked together to elect him? What were Lincoln's bases of support, and what did he and his advisers do to expand that base? Was Lincoln his own force in politics, or was he the face of a system that backed him.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of experiential learning in Lincoln's career, both as a young man and as President. How did he learn, and what made his judgment trustworthy? What errors did he make?
Essay Topic 3
What was the effect of the Lincoln-Douglas debates on Lincoln's career? How did Lincoln change as a thinker and as a politician as a result of the debates?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)