|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did slavery have on politics in the 1850s?
2. When did Lincoln's family move to Illinois?
3. Who was John Todd Stuart?
4. What was Lincoln's policy between the election in 1860 and his inauguration in 1861?
5. When did Lincoln begin to cultivate his intellect?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lincoln finally get married?
2. What positions did Lincoln take in his career as a Whig legislator?
3. What was the effect of Lincoln's election on national politics?
4. How did Lincoln end up back in Springfield?
5. How were senators chosen in the 1850s?
6. What was Lincoln's involvement in the 1848 Presidential election?
7. How was Lincoln's Presidential campaign conducted?
8. What was the outcome of the Lincoln-Douglas debates in 1858?
9. What was Lincoln's early relationship with his father like?
10. What was popular sovereignty and what role did it play in the politics of the 1850s.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lincoln's relationship with the military. What was military culture like, and how did it differ from other political bodies Lincoln had worked with? How did the military require a management style that was different from the management style Lincoln had learned in the Republican Party, in Congress, and then in the White House.
Essay Topic 2
Even before Lincoln arrived in Washington DC, he was threatened with assassination in Baltimore. What role did the threat of assassination play in Lincoln's presidency? How did Lincoln change or refuse to change his policies or activities because of the threats?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lincoln's temperament in relation to his career as a politician and leader. What role did his depressions play in his career? What role did his circumspection and rationality?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)