|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Donald describe Lincoln's political support for the Whig Presidential candidate?
2. What position was Lincoln offered when he left Washington, DC.?
3. What position did Stephen Douglas hold when Lincoln returned to politics?
4. Whom did Lincoln follow around through his home county?
5. What did Lincoln tell his friends after he was elected President in 1860?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the state of the Whig party in Illinois and elsewhere, during Lincoln's tenure?
2. Describe the beginnings of the Civil War.
3. When did Lincoln start his family?
4. What positions did Lincoln take in his career as a Whig legislator?
5. Describe Lincoln's arrival in Springfield and early law practice.
6. What was Lincoln's involvement in the 1848 Presidential election?
7. Describe Lincoln's retirement from politics.
8. How did Lincoln finally get married?
9. Describe the Lincolns' moves.
10. What was the outcome of the Lincoln-Douglas debates in 1858?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the effect of the Lincoln-Douglas debates on Lincoln's career? How did Lincoln change as a thinker and as a politician as a result of the debates?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of experiential learning in Lincoln's career, both as a young man and as President. How did he learn, and what made his judgment trustworthy? What errors did he make?
Essay Topic 3
Were England and France--both of which had outlawed slavery and slave trading--hypocritical in opposing Lincoln's blockade of the South during the Civil War? What interests were they speaking for when they complained about the war's impact? Did their arguments reconcile with their humanitarian stance with regard to slavery, and if so how?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)