|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war had the 1848 Whig party candidate served?
2. When did the Southern states secede?
3. When was Lincoln born?
4. When was Lincoln elected to Congress?
5. Who was William Herndon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were senators chosen in the 1850s?
2. Describe the Lincolns' moves.
3. What was the state of the Whig party in Illinois and elsewhere, during Lincoln's tenure?
4. What part did Lincoln's private life play in the years after he returned to Springfield?
5. What was Lincoln's relationship with the image his supporters presented of him?
6. Describe Lincoln's retirement from politics.
7. What was popular sovereignty and what role did it play in the politics of the 1850s.
8. How much is known about Lincoln's ancestry?
9. How did Lincoln finally get married?
10. Describe Abraham Lincoln's period of aimlessness in Illinois.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lincoln made extensive efforts to unify the splintered Republican Party, which was divided on slavery. In what ways did he try to accommodate the slave states' positions, to negotiate to bring them into a coalition? What factors prevented Lincoln from bargaining with the slave states and preventing the Civil War?
Essay Topic 2
Who were the power brokers behind Lincoln's Presidential nomination and his ultimate election? What coalitions and influences worked together to elect him? What were Lincoln's bases of support, and what did he and his advisers do to expand that base? Was Lincoln his own force in politics, or was he the face of a system that backed him.
Essay Topic 3
When Lincoln declined to serve in a seat he had won, he ended up back in Springfield, where he was involved in local politics and he earned himself a name as a local lawyer. How was Lincoln's experience as a local figure related to his experience as a national figure?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)