|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technique did Lincoln use to kill the 50% plan Congress gave him?
(a) Signing statement.
(b) Pocket veto.
2. How were things going for the Union in 1862?
(a) Things were proceeding well.
(b) Successes were mixed with setbacks.
(c) The situation was chaotic, and it was hard to say how things were.
(d) Things were not going well.
3. Whom did the Democrats get to run against Lincoln?
(a) Horace Greeley.
(b) Salmon Chase.
(d) Ulysses Grant.
4. What is considered the most controversial action Lincoln took during the Civil War?
(a) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) The burning of Atlanta.
(c) Replacing McClellan with Burnside.
(d) The suspension of habeas corpus.
5. Who was the general in charge of Union troops at the beginning of the Civil War?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lincoln ultimately appoint Halleck as General-in-Chief?
2. What was the public sentiment about the Civil War at the beginning?
3. How did Lincoln handle the question of emancipating the slaves?
4. What did Horace Greeley do during the international crisis facing Lincoln?
5. How did Lincoln participate in the 1862 elections?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Civil War progressing for the Union troops in 1864?
2. What major diplomatic problem confronted Lincoln at the end of the Civil War?
3. Describe Lincoln's relationship with General Hooker.
4. How did Lincoln change the command structure of the army in order to get better results out of General McClellan?
5. What problems did Lincoln face from Minnesota?
6. What international crisis did Lincoln leave Seward to avert?
7. What was the public's initial reaction to the Civil War?
8. Describe Lincoln's relationship with his wife during the hard times of the war.
9. Why did Lincoln not liberate all the slaves early in the war?
10. Describe Lincoln's final falling out with General McClellan.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)