|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the public sentiment about the Civil War at the beginning?
(a) They thought that France or Spain would take advantage of the war to assert territorial claims in the Americas.
(b) They thought that it would be a protracted and bloody war.
(c) They thought the South would break away quickly.
(d) People thought the South would be beaten quickly.
2. What was McClellan's feeling about the President and Congress?
(a) He was cowed by them.
(b) He distrusted them.
(c) He was disgusted by civilian leadership.
(d) He was afraid of them.
3. What danger did the Confederate troops pose in summer 1864?
(a) They were reduced to roving bands.
(b) They were on the outskirts of New York.
(c) Washington, DC was in danger.
(d) They were at the edge of defeat.
4. What did Lincoln suspect about Greeley's proposal?
(a) That the real purpose was to enslave the South to Northern economic interests.
(b) That the real purpose was to work against Lincoln's reelection.
(c) That the real purpose was to foster Greeley's ambitions.
(d) That the real purpose was to reduce the effectiveness of the federal government.
5. Why were the western states unhappy with the Civil War?
(a) Their trade with the South was disrupted.
(b) Their resources were consumed by the war.
(c) Their territorial expansion was halted.
(d) They were not protected from Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lincoln participate in the 1862 elections?
2. How did Lincoln view the Battle of Antietam?
3. What was Lincoln waiting for before making the Emancipation Proclamation?
4. What prospect was beginning to open for Lincoln as he entered the third year of the war?
5. What did Horace Greeley do during the international crisis facing Lincoln?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Civil War create international difficulties for Lincoln?
2. What problems did Lincoln have with General McClellan?
3. How does Donald account for Grant's success in the West, such that Lincoln wanted to appoint him to run the Union army?
4. Describe Lincoln's relationship with his wife during the hard times of the war.
5. How did Lincoln handle the decision of when to liberate the slaves?
6. How did Lincoln change the command structure of the army in order to get better results out of General McClellan?
7. Describe Lincoln's approach to the question of slavery relative to his conduct of the war.
8. Why did Lincoln not liberate all the slaves early in the war?
9. How did Lincoln bolster his support in the face of criticism over McClellan's inaction?
10. What problems did Lincoln face from Minnesota?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)