|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Edward Stanton?
(a) A military strategist who advised Lincoln.
(b) The official who replaced Simon Cameron.
(c) The official whom Lincoln appointed as Secretary of Defense.
(d) The official whom Lincoln appointed as Secretary of State.
2. What difficulty did Lincoln encounter at the start of the Civil War?
(a) Mobilizing the free states.
(b) Raising an army.
(c) Dealing with European states.
(d) Raising money.
3. Who helped Lincoln gain Britain's support for the Civil War?
(a) Stephen Douglas.
(b) Laurence Keitt.
(c) Charles Sumner.
(d) Preston Brooks.
4. What did Horace Greeley do during the international crisis facing Lincoln?
(a) Ran Northern blockades.
(b) Advocated for international mediation.
(c) Wrote articles critical of Lincoln.
(d) Organized a conference on trade.
5. How did Lincoln announce his desire for the Presidential nomination?
(a) He undermined the prospects of his opponents.
(b) He staged a scene in which his advisors gestured to crown him.
(c) He made a public address.
(d) He let his advisors know that he would welcome the nomination.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lincoln respond to the controversies surrounding him?
2. What does Donald say Lincoln returned to with the Gettysburg Address?
3. When did Lincoln present the Emancipation Proclamation to his cabinet?
4. Who was Lincoln's chief opponent for the nomination for President in 1864?
5. How were things going for the Union in 1862?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems did Lincoln have with General McClellan?
2. What problems did Lincoln face from Minnesota?
3. What problems did Lincoln have preserving the integrity of the free states?
4. What risk did Lincoln run by suspending habeas corpus?
5. How was the Civil War progressing for the Union troops in 1864?
6. What was the public's initial reaction to the Civil War?
7. How did Lincoln establish the terms for peace?
8. Describe Lincoln's relationship with General Hooker.
9. How did Lincoln handle the decision of when to liberate the slaves?
10. Describe Lincoln's final falling out with General McClellan.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)