|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What terms did Lincoln offer to the parties Greeley claimed to represent?
(a) Free passage if they averred the integrity of the Union and the abandonment of slavery.
(b) Free passage if they made an oath of loyalty to the Union.
(c) Exemption from reparations for those who gave 10% of their income to ex-slaves.
(d) Return of habeas corpus for those who had been dispossessed.
2. Why were the western states unhappy with the Civil War?
(a) Their resources were consumed by the war.
(b) They were not protected from Indians.
(c) Their territorial expansion was halted.
(d) Their trade with the South was disrupted.
3. Why did Lincoln ultimately appoint Halleck as General-in-Chief?
(a) He was willing to punish the Southern slaveholders.
(b) He was not afraid to use freed slaves in his army.
(c) He was more aggressive than McClellan was.
(d) He was not afraid to use freed slaves in his army.
4. How did the war effort affect international relations?
(a) France was sending support to the Confederacy.
(b) While the Civil War raged, Mexico was threatening to retake territories it lost in the Mexican War.
(c) With so much attention on the war, the US was losing its trade advantages in Asia.
(d) France and Britain complained because they could not get Southern cotton.
5. What danger did the Confederate troops pose in summer 1864?
(a) They were at the edge of defeat.
(b) They were on the outskirts of New York.
(c) They were reduced to roving bands.
(d) Washington, DC was in danger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the border states afraid of?
2. What does Donald say Lincoln returned to with the Gettysburg Address?
3. What effect did Lincoln's response to Greeley have?
4. What was Lincoln's view of his role in the Civil War?
5. What issue does Donald say consumed a great deal of Lincoln's time and drove his politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lincoln establish the terms for peace?
2. How did Lincoln bolster his support in the face of criticism over McClellan's inaction?
3. Describe General McClellan's campaign against Lincoln.
4. How was the Civil War progressing for the Union troops in 1864?
5. Why did Lincoln not liberate all the slaves early in the war?
6. How did Lincoln change the command structure of the army in order to get better results out of General McClellan?
7. Describe the genesis and delivery of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
8. Describe Lincoln's falling out with Salmon Chase.
9. Describe Lincoln's relationship with his wife during the hard times of the war.
10. What problems did Lincoln have with General McClellan?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)