|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?
(a) Free all slaves in North America.
(b) Free all literate slaves.
(c) Freed slaves in the north and in states in rebellion.
(d) Free slaves and give them reparations.
2. When did Lincoln deliver the Gettysburg Address?
(a) Winter 1862.
(b) Spring 1864.
(c) Fall 1863.
(d) Spring 1863.
3. What issue does Donald say consumed a great deal of Lincoln's time and drove his politics?
(a) Keeping border states loyal.
(b) Supplying Fort Sumter.
(c) Preventing in-fighting in his cabinet.
(d) Preparing the public for a long war.
4. What happened to increase Lincoln's chances of reelection?
(a) The Democrats were splintered.
(b) The Democratic candidates annihilated each other.
(c) The Democratic candidate was embroiled in a scandal.
(d) The Democratic nominee withdrew.
5. How did Lincoln respond to the controversies surrounding him?
(a) He entrenched himself with loyal supporters.
(b) He second-guessed himself constantly.
(c) He became physically haggard.
(d) He surrounded himself with people who would only give him good news.
Short Answer Questions
1. What technique did Lincoln use to kill the 50% plan Congress gave him?
2. What criticism was made of the Emancipation Proclamation?
3. What was Lincoln's relationship with McClellan through 1862?
4. What were the border states afraid of?
5. Where did the Union troops suffer a major defeat under General Burnside?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lincoln bolster his support in the face of criticism over McClellan's inaction?
2. How did Lincoln establish the terms for peace?
3. Describe Lincoln's approach to the question of slavery relative to his conduct of the war.
4. What risk did Lincoln run by suspending habeas corpus?
5. What problems did Lincoln have with General McClellan?
6. How does Donald account for Grant's success in the West, such that Lincoln wanted to appoint him to run the Union army?
7. What was the state of the Union after Lincoln was re-elected?
8. What international crisis did Lincoln leave Seward to avert?
9. How did Lincoln handle the decision of when to liberate the slaves?
10. Describe Lincoln's relationship with General Hooker.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)