|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the President when Lincoln served in the Senate?
2. Describe Lincoln's relationship with Joshua Speed.
(a) Casual acquaintance.
(b) Formal dignity.
(c) Close friendship.
(d) Antagonistic enmity.
3. When did the Southern states secede?
(a) Before Lincoln's inauguration.
(b) Immediately after the 1860 election.
(c) As soon as Lincoln was inaugurated.
(d) The day of Lincoln's inauguration.
4. What does Donald say Lincoln was ruled by in his early career?
5. What did Lincoln mean by the phrase "cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason"?
(a) How men should enter marriage.
(b) How leaders should make decisions.
(c) How the benefits of taking land from Indians should be weighed.
(d) How money should be allocated to different causes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Lincoln's relationship with his stepmother.
2. What image did Lincoln's advisers associate him with in his 1860 campaign?
3. How did Lincoln come to settle in New Salem, Illinois?
4. What did Lincoln do in order to escape the hard work his father had done?
5. Describe Lincoln's schooling.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lincoln's retirement from politics.
2. What issue was returned Lincoln to politics?
3. When did Lincoln start his family?
4. How did Lincoln's legal practice bring him into questions of statewide or national importance?
5. How did Lincoln finally get married?
6. What was Lincoln's early relationship with his father like?
7. Compare and contrast Lincoln's relationship with his wife and his relationship with his partner, William Herndon.
8. How much is known about Lincoln's ancestry?
9. Describe Lincoln's entrance into politics.
10. Describe Lincoln's temperament as a politician.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)