|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Donald describe Lincoln's political support for the Whig Presidential candidate?
2. Who was Stephen Logan?
(a) Lincoln's colleague.
(b) Lincoln's father-in-law.
(c) Lincoln's law partner.
(d) Lincoln's roommate.
3. How does Donald describe the effect of Lincoln's loss of his mother?
(a) It made Lincoln staunch in his views.
(b) It made Lincoln territorial and angry.
(c) It made Lincoln depressed and moody.
(d) It made Lincoln protective of his family.
4. What did Lincoln tell his friends after he was elected President in 1860?
(a) He was ready to take things in hand.
(b) He was anxious to start the Civil War.
(c) He was determined to stamp out slavery.
(d) He was afraid that he might not be up to the job.
5. How did Lincoln come to settle in New Salem, Illinois?
(a) He married there.
(b) He was nominated for mayor there.
(c) By accident.
(d) He lived there while he went to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Joshua Speed?
2. What was Lincoln's feeling about the image his advisers associated him with?
3. Where did Lincoln's law clients come from?
4. What was Lincoln's party?
5. Whose seat was Lincoln gunning for in 1858?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lincoln's entrance into politics.
2. What was the state of the Whig party in Illinois and elsewhere, during Lincoln's tenure?
3. What was Lincoln's relationship with his stepmother like?
4. What was popular sovereignty and what role did it play in the politics of the 1850s.
5. Describe Lincoln's retirement from politics.
6. Compare and contrast Lincoln's relationship with his wife and his relationship with his partner, William Herndon.
7. What was Lincoln's relationship with the image his supporters presented of him?
8. What was the effect of Lincoln's election on national politics?
9. When did Lincoln start his family?
10. Describe Lincoln's temperament as a politician.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)