|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What document justified the controversial step Lincoln took during the Civil War?
(a) The Constitution.
(b) The Declaration of Independence.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) The Articles of Confederation.
2. When did Lincoln deliver the Gettysburg Address?
(a) Spring 1863.
(b) Fall 1863.
(c) Spring 1864.
(d) Winter 1862.
3. What happened to complicate U.S. relations with Britain?
(a) British merchants wanted to help the Confederacy.
(b) British aid was intercepted by the South.
(c) Two Confederate officers were seized from a British ship.
(d) Some northerners wanted to help the South through the British.
4. Where did the Union troops suffer a major defeat under General Burnside?
(d) Bull Run.
5. What was Lincoln's view of his role in the Civil War?
(a) He was messianic.
(b) He was megalomaniacal.
(c) He was indifferent.
(d) He was fatalistic.
6. How were things going for the Union in 1862?
(a) Things were not going well.
(b) Things were proceeding well.
(c) Successes were mixed with setbacks.
(d) The situation was chaotic, and it was hard to say how things were.
7. Who was Edward Stanton?
(a) A military strategist who advised Lincoln.
(b) The official whom Lincoln appointed as Secretary of State.
(c) The official who replaced Simon Cameron.
(d) The official whom Lincoln appointed as Secretary of Defense.
8. What happened to increase Lincoln's chances of reelection?
(a) The Democratic nominee withdrew.
(b) The Democrats were splintered.
(c) The Democratic candidates annihilated each other.
(d) The Democratic candidate was embroiled in a scandal.
9. Who was Lincoln's chief opponent for the nomination for President in 1864?
(a) Salmon Chase.
(b) Jefferson Davies.
(c) General Meade.
(d) General Burnside.
10. Which was the first state to return to the Union?
(c) South Carolina.
11. What message did Horace Greeley convey to Lincoln?
(a) That New York entrepreneurs wanted to talk about financing reconstruction efforts.
(b) That English merchants wanted to talk about resuming trade with the South.
(c) That French shipping agents wanted to talk about resuming trade with the South.
(d) That a group of Confederate representatives wanted to discuss peace
12. What action did Congress take on slavery at the end of 1864?
(a) They passed the 14th Amendment giving blacks the right to vote.
(b) They passed the 13th amendment ending slavery.
(c) They issued the Emancipation Proclamation.
(d) They passed the Emancipation Proclamation into law.
13. Who replaced General Burnside?
(a) General Grant.
(b) General Brown.
(c) General Hooker.
(d) General Halleck.
14. What were the border states afraid of?
(a) That Lincoln would make them pay for the actions of any Southern sympathizers.
(b) Lincoln would liberate the slaves.
(c) Lincoln would tax them to pay for the Union army.
(d) Lincoln would demand enormous numbers of troops and materials from them.
15. What did Horace Greeley do during the international crisis facing Lincoln?
(a) Organized a conference on trade.
(b) Ran Northern blockades.
(c) Wrote articles critical of Lincoln.
(d) Advocated for international mediation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lincoln view the Battle of Antietam?
2. What was the new name of the Republican Party?
3. How did Lincoln handle the question of emancipating the slaves?
4. Who was the general in charge of Union troops at the beginning of the Civil War?
5. How did Lincoln appease abolitionist forces in the North during the Civil War?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)