|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lincoln's campaign motto for his re-election campaign?
(a) Better not to Switch Horses.
(b) No Union with Slavery.
(c) Bringing it Back Together.
(d) Let the Union be Reunited.
2. When did Lincoln present the Emancipation Proclamation to his cabinet?
(a) October 1863.
(b) July 1863.
(c) September 1862.
(d) April 1863.
3. How did Lincoln handle the question of emancipating the slaves?
(a) He made no question of his opposition to slavery.
(b) He waffled on it.
(c) He told each party what they wanted to hear.
(d) He kept his feelings to himself.
4. When did Lincoln deliver the Gettysburg Address?
(a) Fall 1863.
(b) Spring 1864.
(c) Winter 1862.
(d) Spring 1863.
5. What did Hooker fail to do at Chancellorsville, in Lincoln's estimation?
(a) Keep enough soldiers in reserve.
(b) Retreat in time.
(c) Press with his entire army.
(d) Wage a cautious battle.
6. What did Lincoln suspect about Greeley's proposal?
(a) That the real purpose was to enslave the South to Northern economic interests.
(b) That the real purpose was to reduce the effectiveness of the federal government.
(c) That the real purpose was to work against Lincoln's reelection.
(d) That the real purpose was to foster Greeley's ambitions.
7. Who was the general in charge of Union troops at the beginning of the Civil War?
8. What was McClellan's feeling about the President and Congress?
(a) He was afraid of them.
(b) He distrusted them.
(c) He was disgusted by civilian leadership.
(d) He was cowed by them.
9. What technique did Lincoln use to kill the 50% plan Congress gave him?
(a) Pocket veto.
(b) Signing statement.
10. Which was the first state to return to the Union?
(a) South Carolina.
11. Whom did the Democrats get to run against Lincoln?
(a) Horace Greeley.
(b) Salmon Chase.
(c) Ulysses Grant.
12. What impressed Lincoln enough that he appointed Grant to control Union forces against the South?
(a) Grant's success in minor engagements.
(b) Grant's reputation as an aggressive and merciless general.
(c) Grant's powerful supporters in Congress.
(d) Grant's success in the west.
13. Who was Philip Sheridan?
(a) Lincoln's Secretary of State.
(b) The General who replaced General Grant.
(c) The Democratic nomination for president in 1864.
(d) The General Grant appointed to command in the Shenandoah Valley.
14. What did Horace Greeley do during the international crisis facing Lincoln?
(a) Advocated for international mediation.
(b) Organized a conference on trade.
(c) Ran Northern blockades.
(d) Wrote articles critical of Lincoln.
15. What tragedy did Lincoln suffer early in the Civil War?
(a) His son died.
(b) His mother died.
(c) His father died.
(d) His wife died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed when Lincoln replaced General Hooker with General Meade?
2. What shift did Lincoln's letter to Greeley indicate in Lincoln's thinking?
3. What difficulty did Lincoln encounter at the start of the Civil War?
4. What was Lincoln waiting for before making the Emancipation Proclamation?
5. What happened to complicate U.S. relations with Britain?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)