|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What issue returned Lincoln to politics?
(a) The Missouri Compromise.
(b) The Fugitive Slave Law.
(c) The Statehood of Illinois.
(d) The Kansas-Nebraska Act.
2. From where did Lincoln know Mary Owens?
(a) A family he knew in New Salem.
(b) A family he knew in Virginia.
(c) A family he had worked for in Indiana.
(d) A family he met in Illinois.
3. When did Lincoln's family move to Illinois?
4. What position did Lincoln hold after winning the 1852 election?
(a) No position.
(b) State Senator.
(c) U.S. Representative.
(d) U.S. Senator.
5. In what war had the 1848 Whig party candidate served?
(a) The Indian Wars.
(b) The War of 1812.
(c) The Mexican War.
(d) The Revolutionary War.
6. How did Lincoln get involved with the Republican Party?
(a) He was nominated to be their candidate for U.S. legislature.
(b) He was nominated to be their candidate for U.S. Senate.
(c) He was nominated to be their candidate for U.S. President.
(d) He was nominated to be their candidate for state legislature.
7. What was Lincoln's stance on blacks' equality?
(a) He refused to deny it.
(b) He did not accept it.
(c) He saw it as an inalienable right.
(d) He refused to take a stance on it.
8. Describe Lincoln's relationship with his ancestry.
(a) He was closely attentive to his parentage.
(b) His siblings were intent on knowing their relatives, but he was not.
(c) His mother kept in touch with her relatives, but his father did not with his.
(d) He was not interested in it.
9. For whose nomination for President did Lincoln campaign?
10. For what causes did Lincoln campaign?
(a) Relocating the state capital.
(b) Lowering taxes.
(c) Ending the displacement of Indians.
(d) Increasing federal oversight of land speculation.
11. Why was Lincoln called the 'Lone Star'?
(a) Because he was originally from Texas.
(b) Because he was known for keeping to himself.
(c) Because he was the only Whig in the Illinois delegation.
(d) Because of his obvious talent and his aloofness.
12. Whom did Lincoln begin to fight with as he reached adolescence?
(a) His step-mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His brothers.
(d) His mother.
13. Where was Lincoln's law firm based?
(a) Hampton County.
(b) Menard County.
(c) Logan County.
(d) Sangamon County.
14. What position did Douglas take in the Lincoln-Douglas debates?
(a) He attacked popular sovereignty.
(b) He attacked the federal government.
(c) He defended popular sovereignty.
(d) He attacked slavery.
15. Why did Lincoln move back to Illinois after his first term in Washington, DC?
(a) He retired from the House.
(b) He was not chosen as the candidate who would run for his own seat.
(c) He wanted to spend more time with his family.
(d) He lost the election for his own seat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lincoln work on after the 1852 election?
2. What did Lincoln do after his election to President in 1860?
3. Who was John Todd Stuart?
4. What phrase did Lincoln introduce into the debate over slavery?
5. What did Lincoln do when he returned to Illinois?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)