|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lincoln's feeling about slavery?
(a) He did not want to end it, but did not want to allow it into new territories either.
(b) He campaigned strongly to end it.
(c) He was against it, but disliked abolitionists' methods.
(d) He tried to avoid taking a stance on it, but put economic issues first.
2. What was the result of Lincoln's campaign against Douglas?
(a) He lost the election.
(b) He won but was appointed district judge.
(c) He won but refused to serve.
(d) He lost but was appointed to the seat when Douglas did not take it.
3. What was Lincoln's stance on blacks' equality?
(a) He refused to deny it.
(b) He saw it as an inalienable right.
(c) He did not accept it.
(d) He refused to take a stance on it.
4. What did Lincoln believe he inherited from his grandmother?
5. What was Lincoln beginning to be known for after years of traveling the court circuit?
6. When did Lincoln's family move to Illinois?
7. Describe Lincoln's two children.
8. Who was John Todd Stuart?
(a) Lincoln's first client.
(b) Lincoln's business partner.
(c) Lincoln's father-in-law.
(d) Lincoln's roommate.
9. Where did Lincoln deliver an address in front of prominent Republican Party members?
(a) The National Mall.
(b) The Illinois Statehouse.
(d) Cooper Union.
10. How does Donald describe the effect of Lincoln's loss of his mother?
(a) It made Lincoln depressed and moody.
(b) It made Lincoln territorial and angry.
(c) It made Lincoln protective of his family.
(d) It made Lincoln staunch in his views.
11. How did Lincoln come to settle in New Salem, Illinois?
(a) By accident.
(b) He was nominated for mayor there.
(c) He lived there while he went to school.
(d) He married there.
12. How did Lincoln complete his journey from Springfield to Washington, DC?
(a) With great fanfare.
(b) Amid Republican Party infighting.
(c) With unprecedented security.
(d) At night in disguise.
13. What did Lincoln do in order to escape the hard work his father had done?
(a) He returned to Virginia to his family's starting point.
(b) He ran off and joined a steamboat crew, trying to escape from the U.S.
(c) He took courses at the state university.
(d) He took work transporting things to market by river.
14. What position did Lincoln give to William Seward?
(a) Secretary of State.
(b) Secretary of Interior.
(c) Secretary of Treasury.
(d) Secretary of Defense.
15. From where did Lincoln know Mary Owens?
(a) A family he knew in New Salem.
(b) A family he knew in Virginia.
(c) A family he met in Illinois.
(d) A family he had worked for in Indiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase did Lincoln introduce into the debate over slavery?
2. Describe Lincoln's relationship with his ancestry.
3. What important event took place after Lincoln returned to Illinois?
4. Where did Lincoln's father start out before he moved to Illinois?
5. What did Lincoln do after his election to President in 1860?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)