|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lincoln's law clients come from?
(a) His hometown.
(c) Local towns in Illinois.
2. How did Lincoln come to settle in New Salem, Illinois?
(a) He lived there while he went to school.
(b) He was nominated for mayor there.
(c) By accident.
(d) He married there.
3. Describe Lincoln's two children.
4. When was Lincoln born?
5. What happened to Lincoln's career after the 1858 election?
(a) He declined to enter into national politics until the Illinois state Republican Party was unified.
(b) He began to enjoy a reputation outside of Illinois.
(c) He was invited to serve as a diplomat to France.
(d) He was abandoned by the Republican Party.
6. Describe Lincoln's activities during his 'retirement' from politics.
(a) He focused solely on building his law firm.
(b) He advocated for Whig candidates.
(c) He ran for local office but never won.
(d) He was absent from politics entirely.
7. Why was the Whig party divided against itself?
(a) Because of international policies.
(b) Because of the gold standard.
(c) Because of state's rights.
(d) Because of slavery.
8. Describe Lincoln's schooling.
(a) He was the first child sent away to school.
(b) He was schooled at home by his parents.
(c) He studied a little but never distinguished himself.
(d) He was not schooled much because he had to work with the family.
9. What was Lincoln's feeling about the image his advisers associated him with?
(a) He loved it having enjoyed splitting rails.
(b) He accepted it but had disliked manual labor.
(c) He let it pass in silence, neither embracing it nor refusing it.
(d) He forced them to choose another image.
10. When did Lincoln's family move to Illinois?
11. Where did Lincoln's father start out before he moved to Illinois?
(a) North Carolina.
12. What position did Stephen Douglas hold when Lincoln returned to politics?
(a) Illinois Governor.
(c) U.S. Senator.
(d) U.S. Representative.
13. When was Lincoln married?
14. From where did Lincoln know Mary Owens?
(a) A family he had worked for in Indiana.
(b) A family he met in Illinois.
(c) A family he knew in Virginia.
(d) A family he knew in New Salem.
15. In what war had the 1848 Whig party candidate served?
(a) The Indian Wars.
(b) The War of 1812.
(c) The Mexican War.
(d) The Revolutionary War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lincoln's policy between the election in 1860 and his inauguration in 1861?
2. What position did Lincoln hold after winning the 1852 election?
3. What was Lincoln's feeling about slavery?
4. Who was the initial favorite for the nomination for President in the 1860 race?
5. What does Donald say Lincoln was ruled by in his early career?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)