|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose seat was Lincoln gunning for in 1858?
(a) Stephen Douglas's.
(b) James Buchanan's.
(c) Jefferson Davis's.
(d) Millard Fillmore's.
2. Describe Lincoln's relationship with Joshua Speed.
(a) Close friendship.
(b) Casual acquaintance.
(c) Formal dignity.
(d) Antagonistic enmity.
3. What was the public sentiment about the Civil War at the beginning?
(a) They thought the South would break away quickly.
(b) They thought that it would be a protracted and bloody war.
(c) People thought the South would be beaten quickly.
(d) They thought that France or Spain would take advantage of the war to assert territorial claims in the Americas.
4. What difficulty did Lincoln encounter at the start of the Civil War?
(a) Raising money.
(b) Dealing with European states.
(c) Mobilizing the free states.
(d) Raising an army.
5. What was the occasion for the Gettysburg Address?
(a) Lincoln's passage through Gettysburg.
(b) The dedication of a cemetery.
(c) The loss at Chancellorsville.
(d) The victory at Gettysburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lincoln do when he returned to Illinois?
2. Who was Simon Cameron?
3. Why were Democrats critical of Lincoln?
4. Who replaced General Burnside?
5. What image did Lincoln's advisers associate him with in his 1860 campaign?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)