|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Lincoln's relationship with his advisers.
(a) His advisers were all influential people whose ambitions often conflicted.
(b) His advisers were each experts but not always friendly with him.
(c) His advisers were loyal to him but often disliked each other.
(d) His advisers were known as a "cabinet of enemies".
2. How did Lincoln get involved with the Republican Party?
(a) He was nominated to be their candidate for U.S. President.
(b) He was nominated to be their candidate for U.S. legislature.
(c) He was nominated to be their candidate for state legislature.
(d) He was nominated to be their candidate for U.S. Senate.
3. How did Lincoln come to settle in New Salem, Illinois?
(a) By accident.
(b) He was nominated for mayor there.
(c) He married there.
(d) He lived there while he went to school.
4. What was the public sentiment about the Civil War at the beginning?
(a) They thought that it would be a protracted and bloody war.
(b) They thought the South would break away quickly.
(c) People thought the South would be beaten quickly.
(d) They thought that France or Spain would take advantage of the war to assert territorial claims in the Americas.
5. When was Lincoln born?
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Lincoln know Mary Owens?
2. What did Lincoln work on after the 1858 election?
3. What happened to complicate U.S. relations with Britain?
4. How did the first major engagement with Southern troops change the public view of the war?
5. Which states gave Lincoln a ready supply of troops?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)