|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 19-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lincoln suspect about Greeley's proposal?
(a) That the real purpose was to enslave the South to Northern economic interests.
(b) That the real purpose was to work against Lincoln's reelection.
(c) That the real purpose was to reduce the effectiveness of the federal government.
(d) That the real purpose was to foster Greeley's ambitions.
2. How did Lincoln get involved with the Republican Party?
(a) He was nominated to be their candidate for U.S. legislature.
(b) He was nominated to be their candidate for state legislature.
(c) He was nominated to be their candidate for U.S. President.
(d) He was nominated to be their candidate for U.S. Senate.
3. How did the war effort affect international relations?
(a) While the Civil War raged, Mexico was threatening to retake territories it lost in the Mexican War.
(b) France was sending support to the Confederacy.
(c) With so much attention on the war, the US was losing its trade advantages in Asia.
(d) France and Britain complained because they could not get Southern cotton.
4. Why did Lincoln not free all slaves early in the Civil War?
(a) He did not have the authority to enforce such a proclamation.
(b) He thought it would let the South play the role of victim.
(c) He thought it would give the South more support from abroad.
(d) He did not want the war to be a referendum on slavery.
5. How did Lincoln bolster his support in the North?
(a) By offering to pay for any war damages.
(b) By encouraging the border states to liberate their slaves.
(c) By promising them funds for reconstruction.
(d) By offering them freedom from federal taxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Lincoln's two children.
2. What position did Lincoln hold after winning the 1852 election?
3. What position did Douglas take in the Lincoln-Douglas debates?
4. What was the 10% plan?
5. How were U.S. Senators elected in the 1850s?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)