|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image did Lincoln's advisers associate him with in his 1860 campaign?
(a) A stone wall.
(b) An old warhorse.
(c) A fence rail.
(d) A cherry tree.
2. Describe Lincoln's activities during his 'retirement' from politics.
(a) He focused solely on building his law firm.
(b) He ran for local office but never won.
(c) He advocated for Whig candidates.
(d) He was absent from politics entirely.
3. Why did Lincoln ultimately appoint Halleck as General-in-Chief?
(a) He was willing to punish the Southern slaveholders.
(b) He was more aggressive than McClellan was.
(c) He was not afraid to use freed slaves in his army.
(d) He was not afraid to use freed slaves in his army.
4. When did the Southern states secede?
(a) The day of Lincoln's inauguration.
(b) Immediately after the 1860 election.
(c) Before Lincoln's inauguration.
(d) As soon as Lincoln was inaugurated.
5. What did Lincoln mean by the phrase "cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason"?
(a) How the benefits of taking land from Indians should be weighed.
(b) How leaders should make decisions.
(c) How men should enter marriage.
(d) How money should be allocated to different causes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Lincoln follow around through his home county?
2. How did Lincoln handle the question of emancipating the slaves?
3. How were things going for the Union in 1862?
4. How did Lincoln view the Battle of Antietam?
5. Why did Lincoln decline to serve in the seat he was elected to in 1852?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)