|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln is fatalistic about being shot but worries even more about __________________.
2. What does Lincoln say that Southerners are in Chapter 5?
3. With whom does David Herold spend New Year's Eve 1861?
4. Why does Mrs. Lincoln visit a wounded corporal from Lexington, Kentucky?
5. Whose death plunges Mrs. Lincoln to the brink of madness in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Seward attempt to prevent Mrs. Lincoln being involved in a scandal?
2. What is Lincoln's final stance regarding the Wikoff incident?
3. Why does Booth say Lincoln must be poisoned soon?
4. Why do the rebel spies think that Herold has succeeded in poisoning Lincoln at the time he delivers the Gettysburg Address?
5. What is the source of Lincoln's resolve in the 100 days prior to the election?
6. How does Lincoln view Mrs. Lincoln's impact on his presidency at this point regarding the article scandal and her overspending?
7. Why does Sprague get involved in getting cotton past blockades and into New England?
8. What are the circumstances of David Herold meeting John Wilkes Booth?
9. How do the Lincolns respond when their young son, Willie, dies?
10. What role does the paranormal play in the lives of the Lincolns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of David Herold. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Abraham Lincoln's during the time period covered in LINCOLN: A NOVEL. What were his plans upon arriving in Washington, D.C.? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 3
Even before he was a player on the national and international stages, Abraham Lincoln was known to be a man of high integrity. Cite some examples in Lincoln's life that prove this statement. What is Vidal's overall perception of Lincoln's integrity? Explain.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)