|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Lincoln's favorite general?
2. What is the controversy surrounding Robert Lincoln during this time?
3. Of which of the following do the Southern conspirators NOT convince the Union Army?
4. Who does Sickles think is Wikoff's source of information?
5. Where does Lincoln spent a vast amount of time following the Battle of Gettysburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What precipitates Lincoln's discussions with black leaders and his issuing the Emancipation Proclamation?
3. What honor does Grant receive in the midst of talk about his presidential aspirations?
4. What information does Herold learn about the misinformation being fed to Union sources regarding the rebel strength?
5. What is the source of Lincoln's resolve in the 100 days prior to the election?
6. What is Lincoln's stance on abolition as the election of 1864 looms?
7. Why does Booth say Lincoln must be poisoned soon?
8. Who is William Herndon and what is the reason for his visit to see Lincoln?
9. Why does Lincoln find humor in the rumor that McClellan may wage a military coup against him?
10. How is Mrs. Lincoln hurt in an assassination attempt in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Todd Lincoln was a fragile woman who loved her husband and family but had a questionable reputation as a First Lady. What was her influence on her husband? What was her position on slavery? How did she alienate people during her time in the White House? How did she avoid some scandal? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mary Todd Lincoln. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Assassination plots take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)