|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln has evolved into a(n) ___________ in Chapter 5.
2. What is the controversy surrounding Robert Lincoln during this time?
3. Why is Mrs. Lincoln so upset in Part 2, Chapter 2?
4. What is the organization of peace Democrats opposed to the Emancipation Proclamation and the draft?
5. In what city was the Republican Party National Convention held in 1864?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lincoln's stance on abolition as the election of 1864 looms?
2. What is the response from various groups to the Emancipation Proclamation and why is Lincoln concerned about the appearance of his signature on the document?
3. How is Mrs. Lincoln hurt in an assassination attempt in Chapter 12?
4. What role does the paranormal play in the lives of the Lincolns?
5. Why does Booth say Lincoln must be poisoned soon?
6. Why do the conspirators want to ramp up efforts to kill Lincoln prior to the election of 1864?
7. What is Lincoln's final stance regarding the Wikoff incident?
8. Why do the rebel spies think that Herold has succeeded in poisoning Lincoln at the time he delivers the Gettysburg Address?
9. What is the speculation of Mrs. Lincoln's involvement in President Lincoln's speech to Congress being printed in the New York Herald?
10. How does Lincoln view Mrs. Lincoln's impact on his presidency at this point regarding the article scandal and her overspending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Todd Lincoln was a fragile woman who loved her husband and family but had a questionable reputation as a First Lady. What was her influence on her husband? What was her position on slavery? How did she alienate people during her time in the White House? How did she avoid some scandal? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion in Lincoln's life. Was he public with his faith? How did he deal with those who did not hold his same beliefs? How did his religious beliefs guide him as he guided the country?
Essay Topic 3
Assassination plots take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)