|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As what does Mrs. Lincoln justify her overspending?
(a) She has the right as First Lady.
(c) No self control.
(d) A benefit to future generations.
2. Which of the following does Herndon NOT tell John Hay about Lincoln's days as a young man?
(a) He had mental breakdowns.
(b) He did not believe in Christianity.
(c) He contracted syphilis.
(d) He studied in Europe.
3. How does Mrs. Lincoln attempt to talk to Willie after his death?
(a) She attends seances.
(b) She prays.
(c) She writes on glass.
(d) She puts notes on his grave.
4. Why do the conspirators want Lincoln shot prior to the election?
(a) To end abolition.
(b) To nominate Chase.
(c) To end the war.
(d) To ensure McClellan's victory.
5. Which Union general proves incapable of overall command in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Amendment is suspended as many newspaper publishers are arrested?
2. On what day does Part 2, Chapter 1 take place?
3. What famous document is written in Chapter 10?
4. Who do the Republicans want Lincoln to nominate as a candidate for president instead of himself?
5. What is the name of the Union warship that goes to battle with the Confederate Merrimack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What precipitates Lincoln's discussions with black leaders and his issuing the Emancipation Proclamation?
2. What name is the Republican party known as at the Baltimore convention and what are Lincoln's views of the convention?
3. What is Lincoln's final stance regarding the Wikoff incident?
4. What is Lincoln's stance on abolition as the election of 1864 looms?
5. How does Seward attempt to prevent Mrs. Lincoln being involved in a scandal?
6. What honor does Grant receive in the midst of talk about his presidential aspirations?
7. Why does Lincoln find humor in the rumor that McClellan may wage a military coup against him?
8. What is the speculation of Mrs. Lincoln's involvement in President Lincoln's speech to Congress being printed in the New York Herald?
9. Why does Booth say Lincoln must be poisoned soon?
10. How do the Lincolns respond when their young son, Willie, dies?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)