|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sets out on a week-long debauch after Kate's party?
(a) David Herold.
(b) John Hay.
(c) Secretary Steward.
(d) George McClellan.
2. Who is the general with whom Lincoln is frustrated in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) General Grant.
(b) General Buford.
(c) General Rutherford.
(d) General Halleck.
3. Why do the conspirators want Lincoln shot prior to the election?
(a) To end abolition.
(b) To ensure McClellan's victory.
(c) To end the war.
(d) To nominate Chase.
4. Which of the following does NOT apply to General Grant?
(a) He is tried for treason.
(b) He refuses to make his headquarters in Washington.
(c) He insists he has no political interests.
(d) He becomes the first lieutenant general since George Washington.
5. What does Lincoln say that Southerners are in Chapter 5?
(a) Fellow Americans.
(c) Morally corrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which general replaces General Hooker prior to the battle at Gettysburg?
2. What nationality of people riot against the Conscription Act In New York City?
3. Who is Lincoln's running mate in 1864?
4. Who does David Herold kiss on New Year's Eve 1861?
5. How many men is Lincoln forced to call up in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Lincolns respond when their young son, Willie, dies?
2. What role does the paranormal play in the lives of the Lincolns?
3. What name is the Republican party known as at the Baltimore convention and what are Lincoln's views of the convention?
4. How is Mrs. Lincoln hurt in an assassination attempt in Chapter 12?
5. What is the speculation of Mrs. Lincoln's involvement in President Lincoln's speech to Congress being printed in the New York Herald?
6. Why does Lincoln find humor in the rumor that McClellan may wage a military coup against him?
7. What precipitates Lincoln's discussions with black leaders and his issuing the Emancipation Proclamation?
8. Why do the conspirators want to ramp up efforts to kill Lincoln prior to the election of 1864?
9. Why does Booth say Lincoln must be poisoned soon?
10. Why do the rebel spies think that Herold has succeeded in poisoning Lincoln at the time he delivers the Gettysburg Address?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)