|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The conspirators want Herold to __________________.
(a) infiltrate the White House.
(b) shoot Lincoln on the street.
(c) bribe the White House groundskeeper.
(d) poison Lincoln's medications.
2. Which Civil War battle costs the Union 15,000 casualties?
3. What is the exemption fee for a man to stay out of the war?
4. As what does Mrs. Lincoln justify her overspending?
(a) She has the right as First Lady.
(b) A benefit to future generations.
(c) No self control.
5. In what city was the Republican Party National Convention held in 1864?
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Lincoln's favorite general?
2. On what day does Part 2, Chapter 1 take place?
3. Which of the following does Herndon NOT tell John Hay about Lincoln's days as a young man?
4. What document does Lincoln plan to issue?
5. The Confederacy has half the troops as the Union does and ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lincoln's stance on abolition as the election of 1864 looms?
2. Why do the conspirators want to ramp up efforts to kill Lincoln prior to the election of 1864?
3. What information does Herold learn about the misinformation being fed to Union sources regarding the rebel strength?
4. What is the source of Lincoln's resolve in the 100 days prior to the election?
5. Who is William Herndon and what is the reason for his visit to see Lincoln?
7. What are two reasons that David Herold is disgruntled in Chapter 7?
8. What is the response from various groups to the Emancipation Proclamation and why is Lincoln concerned about the appearance of his signature on the document?
9. Why does Lincoln find humor in the rumor that McClellan may wage a military coup against him?
10. What honor does Grant receive in the midst of talk about his presidential aspirations?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)