|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What office does Roger B. Taney hold?
(a) Chief of Staff.
(b) Chief Justice.
(c) Attorney General.
(d) Secretary of State.
2. What does Seward think will happen to Lincoln?
(a) He will have a heart attack.
(b) He will be impeached.
(c) He will be kidnapped.
(d) He will be assassinated.
3. Who supplies White House gossip to those at Thompson's Drug Store?
(a) The White House doorkeeper.
(b) Kate Chase.
(c) David Herold.
(d) Lincoln's bodyguard.
4. Which general does Lincoln order to take command after McDowell's retreat?
(a) General Grant.
(b) General Chamberlain.
(c) General McClellan.
(d) General Burnside.
5. Why is a secret Cabinet meeting held in the Naval Department?
(a) It has a room big enough to hold everyone.
(b) The Cabinet offices are being painted.
(c) To discuss naval strategy.
(d) To avoid spies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the whorehouse that John Hay visits after the inaugural ball?
2. Why does William Howard Russell, a London Times correspondent, think the South will win the war?
3. Which female abolition opponent is introduced in Chapter 2?
4. Where does David Herold take a job?
5. On what day does Lincoln arrive in Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vidal open the novel?
2. Why is Lincoln forced to hold Cabinet meetings in the Naval Department?
3. What is the purpose of Stephen Douglas' visit to the White House?
4. What is the Peace Conference and what is the nature of their visit with Lincoln?
5. How does Vidal describe Lincoln in the early part of the novel?
6. What does Lincoln accidentally lose and who will take advantage of this?
7. Who is Elizabeth Keckley and what is her role in the Lincoln White House?
8. What is David Herold's first mission as a rebel courier and what is he told to focus on going forward?
9. What type of role do Seward and Chase envision holding in Lincoln's Cabinet?
10. What is the Albany Plan and how does it set the stage for political machinations throughout the novel?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)