|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is entertained by Annie Surratt?
(a) Harold Davidson.
(b) William McKenzie.
(c) David Harris.
(d) David Herold.
2. Who does Chase want excluded from a position in Lincoln's cabinet?
(a) Anyone under the age of 60.
(b) Anyone from a slave-holding state.
(c) Anyone who did not go to West Point.
(d) Anyone who has not served on the Supreme Court.
3. How can Lincoln's inaugural parade best be characterized?
4. Why has Lincoln arrived in Washington in great secrecy?
(a) He wants to avoid the media.
(b) He wants to avoid big crowds.
(c) He wants to surprise his family.
(d) There is a plot against his life.
5. What do conspirators Annie Surrat and David Herold call Lincoln?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following bad news does Lincoln NOT receive in Chapter 13?
2. Why does David Herold regret that Lincoln must die?
3. Who supplies White House gossip to those at Thompson's Drug Store?
4. Who is Bettie Duval?
5. Who is the noted Union officer shot dead in the invasion of Alexandria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are David Herold's surprising views as he watches Lincoln walk to church?
2. Who is Salmon P. Chase and what is his role in Lincoln's White House?
3. How does the White House respond to Col. Ellsworth's death?
4. Explain the premise of Part 1, Chapters 1-7.
5. What is the Peace Conference and what is the nature of their visit with Lincoln?
6. What does Lincoln accidentally lose and who will take advantage of this?
7. How is David Herold shaken when he sees the result of a coded message he had carried but had not been able to deliver?
8. With whom does John Hay become infatuated the day after Lincoln's inauguration?
9. What are Chase's thoughts on financing a war in Chapter 17?
10. What is Lincoln's position on blacks at the beginning of the novel and how does that change as the story evolves?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)