|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who supplies White House gossip to those at Thompson's Drug Store?
(a) The White House doorkeeper.
(b) Kate Chase.
(c) David Herold.
(d) Lincoln's bodyguard.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Kate Chase's relationship with her father?
(b) Soul mate.
3. What does Lincoln ask John Hay to research?
(a) Thomas Jefferson's speeches.
(b) The budget for White House renovations.
(c) The president's wartime powers.
(d) The etiquette for entertaining visiting heads of state.
4. Where is the body of Col. Ellsworth taken after he is killed?
(a) The White House.
(b) His home in Alexandria.
(c) The Capitol building.
(d) A mortuary.
5. What is the mood in Washington as Chapter 14 begins?
(b) At war.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Lincoln arrive in Washington?
2. Where does David Herold take a job?
3. With what does Mrs. Lincoln spend much of her time?
4. Who is entertained by Annie Surratt?
5. What does Chevalier Wikoff offer to give the U.S. government if his son receives a naval commission?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the White House respond to Col. Ellsworth's death?
2. How are the beginnings of a conspiracy against Lincoln introduced in Chapter 2?
3. Why is Lincoln forced to hold Cabinet meetings in the Naval Department?
4. What are Chase's thoughts on financing a war in Chapter 17?
5. Who is Salmon P. Chase and what is his role in Lincoln's White House?
6. What type of role do Seward and Chase envision holding in Lincoln's Cabinet?
7. What is the mood in Washington as Chapter 15 begins and what is on Seward's mind regarding Lincoln's presidency?
8. What is Lincoln's plan to attack the Confederacy as discussed in Chapter 18?
9. What is the purpose of Stephen Douglas' visit to the White House?
10. What perspectives do Chase and Seward hold as the war talk ramps up?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)