|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the editor of the New York Tribune in 1864?
(a) Chevalier Wikoff.
(b) Edgar Harrison.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Horace Greeley.
2. How much debt has Mrs. Lincoln incurred for the White House at this time?
3. Who meets with smugglers to discuss how easy it would be to kill Lincoln?
4. How is Mrs. Lincoln harmed when she is victim of an assassination plot aimed for her husband?
(a) She is shot.
(b) She is poisoned.
(c) She is mobbed on the street.
(d) She is thrown from a carriage.
5. Who was Abraham Lincoln's Democratic opponent in 1864?
6. Which notable poet seeks a Federal job?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) David Thoreau.
7. Which Civil War battle costs the Union 15,000 casualties?
8. In what city was the Republican Party National Convention held in 1864?
(a) New York.
9. Why do the conspirators want Lincoln shot prior to the election?
(a) To nominate Chase.
(b) To ensure McClellan's victory.
(c) To end abolition.
(d) To end the war.
10. Who is Lincoln's former law partner?
(a) Wade Harrison.
(b) William Herndon.
(c) Walter Herndon.
(d) William Henderson.
11. What name replaces the term "Republican Party" at the 1864 convention?
(a) National Union Party.
(b) National Republic Party.
(c) National Republican Party.
(d) Northern Republic Party.
12. Which Amendment is suspended as many newspaper publishers are arrested?
(a) Second Amendment.
(b) Third Amendment.
(c) First Amendment.
(d) Fifth Amendment.
13. What disease does David Herold pretend to have in Part 3, Chapter 1?
14. Where does John Wilkes Booth invite David Herold to work with him?
(a) Thompson's Pharmacy.
(b) Surratt's Boardinghouse.
(c) Ford's Theater.
(d) Chevalier's Opera House.
15. What is the controversy surrounding Robert Lincoln during this time?
(a) Why he is not married.
(b) Why he indulges his mother's hysterics.
(c) Why he is not in the war.
(d) Why he undermines his father's political strategies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lincoln spent a vast amount of time following the Battle of Gettysburg?
2. What famous document is written in Chapter 10?
3. What is the organization of peace Democrats opposed to the Emancipation Proclamation and the draft?
4. Which of the following does NOT apply to General Grant?
5. Who is the general with whom Lincoln is frustrated in Part 2, Chapter 7?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)