|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lincoln's former law partner?
(a) William Henderson.
(b) Wade Harrison.
(c) William Herndon.
(d) Walter Herndon.
2. What disease does David Herold pretend to have in Part 3, Chapter 1?
3. Which of the following does NOT apply to General Grant?
(a) He becomes the first lieutenant general since George Washington.
(b) He is tried for treason.
(c) He insists he has no political interests.
(d) He refuses to make his headquarters in Washington.
4. Who does Sickles think is Wikoff's source of information?
(a) Mrs. Lincoln.
(b) Bettie Duvall.
(c) David Herold.
(d) Annie Surratt.
5. What is the name of the Union warship that goes to battle with the Confederate Merrimack?
(a) The Republic.
(b) The Union.
(c) The Monitor.
(d) The Icon.
6. Who sets out on a week-long debauch after Kate's party?
(a) John Hay.
(b) Secretary Steward.
(c) George McClellan.
(d) David Herold.
7. As what does Mrs. Lincoln justify her overspending?
(a) A benefit to future generations.
(b) She has the right as First Lady.
(c) No self control.
8. Which of the following is NOT a topic of conversation at Kate Chase's party?
(a) McClellan's new strategy.
(b) Mrs. Lincoln's runaway spending.
(c) The price of coffee.
(d) White House leaks.
9. Who do the Republicans want Lincoln to nominate as a candidate for president instead of himself?
10. Which notable poet seeks a Federal job?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) David Thoreau.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
11. Whose marriage proposal does Kate Chase accept?
12. What happens when Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln are riding to a seance one day?
(a) The carriage wheel falls off.
(b) An assassin fires a shot at the carriage.
(c) The carriage overturns in a ditch.
(d) A crowd throws rocks at the carriage.
13. What happens to Lincoln while riding to the Soldiers Home in Chapter 6?
(a) His horse throws him into a ditch.
(b) He falls and breaks his hip.
(c) His hat is shot off his head.
(d) He is thrown from his carriage.
14. Which Amendment is suspended as many newspaper publishers are arrested?
(a) Third Amendment.
(b) Fifth Amendment.
(c) First Amendment.
(d) Second Amendment.
15. Lincoln is fatalistic about being shot but worries even more about __________________.
(a) Being captured and held for ransom.
(b) The side business of the groundskeeper.
(c) Losing the next election.
(d) The kidnapping of his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the general with whom Lincoln is frustrated in Part 2, Chapter 7?
2. What name replaces the term "Republican Party" at the 1864 convention?
3. Who was Abraham Lincoln's Democratic opponent in 1864?
4. The Confederacy has half the troops as the Union does and ______________.
5. Why is Mrs. Lincoln so upset in Part 2, Chapter 2?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)