|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a topic of conversation at Kate Chase's party?
(a) The price of coffee.
(b) McClellan's new strategy.
(c) Mrs. Lincoln's runaway spending.
(d) White House leaks.
2. What name replaces the term "Republican Party" at the 1864 convention?
(a) National Union Party.
(b) National Republic Party.
(c) Northern Republic Party.
(d) National Republican Party.
3. Which famous Civil War battle takes place in Chapter 12?
4. Who meets with smugglers to discuss how easy it would be to kill Lincoln?
5. Who is the general with whom Lincoln is frustrated in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) General Rutherford.
(b) General Buford.
(c) General Grant.
(d) General Halleck.
6. What is the name of the Union warship that goes to battle with the Confederate Merrimack?
(a) The Monitor.
(b) The Union.
(c) The Icon.
(d) The Republic.
7. How much debt has Mrs. Lincoln incurred for the White House at this time?
8. Which notable poet seeks a Federal job?
(a) David Thoreau.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Walt Whitman.
9. Lincoln has evolved into a(n) ___________ in Chapter 5.
10. Who is Lincoln's former law partner?
(a) William Henderson.
(b) Wade Harrison.
(c) Walter Herndon.
(d) William Herndon.
11. With whom does David Herold spend New Year's Eve 1861?
(a) The Lincolns.
(b) The Chases.
(c) The Surratts.
(d) The McClellans.
12. What are Lincoln's thoughts in the 100 days prior to the election of 1864?
(a) He knows he will be killed before the election.
(b) He thinks only of his boys.
(c) He must finish what he was placed here to do.
(d) He has a real lust for more power.
13. What premonitions does Lincoln have?
(a) His premature death.
(b) Jefferson Davis sitting in the White House.
(c) Mrs. Lincoln's death.
(d) Rocking his grandchildren.
14. Who is Mrs. Laury?
(a) Mrs. Lincoln's dressmaker.
(b) Mrs. Lincoln's spiritual medium.
(c) Mrs. Lincoln's social secretary.
(d) Mrs. Lincoln's hair stylist.
15. Even though he is a drunk, ___________ is deemed a better general than McClellan.
(a) John Chamberlain.
(b) John Buford.
(c) Robert Burnside.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does it look like Lincoln has as he leaves Gettysburg?
2. Which general replaces General Hooker prior to the battle at Gettysburg?
3. On what day does Part 2, Chapter 1 take place?
4. What disease is McClellan purported to have?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Lincoln's physical presence at this point in the war?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)