|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lincoln assured of political victory in Chapter 6?
(a) He has the support of Union sympathisizers.
(b) He had the best campagin manager.
(c) He knows that no one likes McClellan.
(d) Atlanta has been occupied by Union troops.
2. Where does Lincoln spent a vast amount of time following the Battle of Gettysburg?
(a) The War Department Telegraph Room.
(b) The White House chapel.
(c) The Willard Hotel.
(d) The White House gardens.
3. Why does Mary Lincoln not attend Kate Chase's wedding?
(a) She does not like Kate.
(b) She has a migraine.
(c) She stays with Tad who is ill and delirious.
(d) She does not like her groom.
4. Why is Mrs. Lincoln so upset in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Mrs. Lincoln has been shunned from all the holiday parties on the social scene.
(b) Robert Lincoln is dating a woman of ill repute.
(c) The Joint Committee has obtained a copy of Wikoff's telegram.
(d) Mr. Lincoln has threatened to divorce her if she does not curtail her spending.
5. Which of the following does Herndon NOT tell John Hay about Lincoln's days as a young man?
(a) He contracted syphilis.
(b) He studied in Europe.
(c) He did not believe in Christianity.
(d) He had mental breakdowns.
6. The conspirators want Herold to __________________.
(a) poison Lincoln's medications.
(b) infiltrate the White House.
(c) shoot Lincoln on the street.
(d) bribe the White House groundskeeper.
7. Who is Lincoln's running mate in 1864?
8. Which of the following does NOT apply to General Grant?
(a) He refuses to make his headquarters in Washington.
(b) He becomes the first lieutenant general since George Washington.
(c) He insists he has no political interests.
(d) He is tried for treason.
9. Who is the editor of the New York Tribune in 1864?
(a) Edgar Harrison.
(b) Chevalier Wikoff.
(c) Horace Greeley.
(d) Walt Whitman.
10. Which of the following does NOT describe Lincoln's physical presence at this point in the war?
(a) Half-shut left eye.
(c) Hand tremor.
11. Lincoln is fatalistic about being shot but worries even more about __________________.
(a) The kidnapping of his children.
(b) Losing the next election.
(c) The side business of the groundskeeper.
(d) Being captured and held for ransom.
12. What is the South fighting for in the Civil War?
13. Which Union general proves incapable of overall command in Chapter 6?
14. Which Amendment is suspended as many newspaper publishers are arrested?
(a) Second Amendment.
(b) Third Amendment.
(c) Fifth Amendment.
(d) First Amendment.
15. What disease does it look like Lincoln has as he leaves Gettysburg?
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous document is written in Chapter 10?
2. What nationality of people riot against the Conscription Act In New York City?
3. Who does Sickles think is Wikoff's source of information?
4. David Herold is told to watch for Lincoln's movements and _____________________.
5. Who does David Herold kiss on New Year's Eve 1861?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)