|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William Seward harshly critique about Lincoln?
(a) His accent.
(b) His beard.
(c) His inaugural address.
(d) His wardrobe.
2. Sumner sees freeing the slaves to be _________________.
(a) a waste of time.
(b) the moral choice.
(c) a military necessity.
(d) a religious imperative.
3. Which word does Lincoln turn to the crowd and emphasize while taking the oath of office?
4. Who administers the oath of office to Abraham Lincoln?
(a) Salmon P. Chase.
(b) David P. Taney.
(c) Roger B. Taney.
(d) Roger K. Holmes.
5. Why is a secret Cabinet meeting held in the Naval Department?
(a) To avoid spies.
(b) It has a room big enough to hold everyone.
(c) The Cabinet offices are being painted.
(d) To discuss naval strategy.
6. Which general does Lincoln order to take command after McDowell's retreat?
(a) General McClellan.
(b) General Grant.
(c) General Burnside.
(d) General Chamberlain.
7. From what state do the first Union troops arrive in Washington?
(d) Rhode Island.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of Lincoln's sons?
9. With whom does John Hay frequently spend time?
10. Who believes that one must experience hell before dying, not after?
(a) Mrs. Lincoln.
(b) General McClellan.
(c) Secretary Steward.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
11. Which female abolition opponent is introduced in Chapter 2?
(a) Ellen Surratt.
(b) Mary Surratt.
(c) Mary Scirocco.
(d) Mary Stewart.
12. What office does Roger B. Taney hold?
(a) Chief Justice.
(b) Attorney General.
(c) Secretary of State.
(d) Chief of Staff.
13. What idea does Seward have for reuniting the North and the South?
(a) Legalizing slavery.
(b) Huge tax credits.
(c) Impeaching Lincoln.
(d) A joint foreign war.
14. What does Lincoln ask John Hay to research?
(a) Thomas Jefferson's speeches.
(b) The budget for White House renovations.
(c) The etiquette for entertaining visiting heads of state.
(d) The president's wartime powers.
15. Who arrives on the train with Lincoln's secretaries?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Mrs. Lincoln.
(c) Andrew Johnson.
(d) John Wilkes Booth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seward and _____________ emerge as the Cabinet's leading figures.
2. What office does Kate Chase expect her father to attain in 1864?
3. What is the date of Lincoln's inauguration?
4. How does Salmon P. Chase propose to pay for a war?
5. On what day does Lincoln arrive in Washington?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)