|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the scandalous reporter for the New York Herald?
(a) Jacques Wyatt.
(b) Chevalier Wikoff.
(c) Chace Adams.
(d) John Hay.
2. Who does Chase want excluded from a position in Lincoln's cabinet?
(a) Anyone who has not served on the Supreme Court.
(b) Anyone who did not go to West Point.
(c) Anyone under the age of 60.
(d) Anyone from a slave-holding state.
3. What does Lincoln order the U.S. marshals to do?
(a) Shoot rioters.
(b) Arrest any conspirators.
(c) Raid telegraph offices to determine spies.
(d) Set up roadblocks around Washington.
4. How can Lincoln's inaugural parade best be characterized?
5. With whom does Lincoln side when believing that black men are not inferior to white men?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Andrew Johnson.
6. What is the name of the plan which called for Seward to run the government with Lincoln as a figurehead?
(a) Shadow Plan.
(b) Transition Plan.
(c) Schnectady Plan.
(d) Albany Plany.
7. Where is Lincoln taken upon his arrival in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Willard's Hotel.
(b) The White House.
(c) The Captiol Building.
(d) Ford's Theater.
8. Who stalks Lincoln as he walks to church with Seward?
(a) Mary Surratt.
(b) Thomas Paterson.
(c) David Herold.
(d) John Wilkes Booth.
9. Who do the rebels think is the real boss in the U.S. government?
10. What do the people of Virginia do on the first day of the battle in Virginia?
(a) Hide in their basements.
(b) Escape to Philadelphia.
(c) Take picnic lunches to watch the battle.
(d) Hold war parades.
11. Why does David Herold regret that Lincoln must die?
(a) He knows he has young sons.
(b) He believes his wife will go mad.
(c) He thinks he is a good man at heart.
(d) He finds him pleasant-looking.
12. Who is entertained by Annie Surratt?
(a) David Harris.
(b) David Herold.
(c) Harold Davidson.
(d) William McKenzie.
13. Who believes that one must experience hell before dying, not after?
(a) Secretary Steward.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Mrs. Lincoln.
(d) General McClellan.
14. What is the river that David Herold crosses on his first mission as a rebel courier?
15. How can Mrs. Lincoln's personality best be described?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood in Washington as Chapter 14 begins?
2. With what does Mrs. Lincoln spend much of her time?
3. What does Lincoln ask John Hay to research?
4. Who owns the whorehouse that John Hay visits after the inaugural ball?
5. Why does William Howard Russell, a London Times correspondent, think the South will win the war?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)