|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main event in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) Lincoln's inauguration.
(b) Lincoln's visit to Antietam.
(c) Lincoln's delivery of the Gettysburg Address.
(d) Lincoln's funeral.
2. Salmon P. Chase is visited by Henry D. and _________ Cooke to discuss Lincoln and cabinet posts.
3. What do conspirators Annie Surrat and David Herold call Lincoln?
4. Who is known for drifting off during important discussions?
(a) Samuel P. Chesterson.
(b) Samuel P. Chase.
(c) Saul P. Chase.
(d) Salmon P. Chase.
5. Who administers the oath of office to Abraham Lincoln?
(a) Roger B. Taney.
(b) Roger K. Holmes.
(c) Salmon P. Chase.
(d) David P. Taney.
6. Which of the following characteristics is NOT used to describe Lincoln?
(c) Droll humor.
7. On what grounds does Seward think Lincoln can be impeached?
(a) Military aggression.
(b) Sexual impropriety.
8. What office does Roger B. Taney hold?
(a) Chief Justice.
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Attorney General.
(d) Chief of Staff.
9. Chase and Seward agree between themselves that Lincoln must let them run the government as a ____________.
(b) city state.
(c) socialist state.
10. How can Mrs. Lincoln's personality best be described?
11. Sumner sees freeing the slaves to be _________________.
(a) a military necessity.
(b) a waste of time.
(c) the moral choice.
(d) a religious imperative.
12. Which general does Lincoln order to take command after McDowell's retreat?
(a) General McClellan.
(b) General Grant.
(c) General Chamberlain.
(d) General Burnside.
13. Who supplies White House gossip to those at Thompson's Drug Store?
(a) Lincoln's bodyguard.
(b) Kate Chase.
(c) The White House doorkeeper.
(d) David Herold.
14. Who is the defeated rival who visits Lincoln and calls for militiamen to defend Washington?
(a) John Hay.
(b) Salmon P. Chase.
(c) Andrew Johnson.
(d) Stephen Douglas.
15. What is the river that David Herold crosses on his first mission as a rebel courier?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chevalier Wikoff offer to give the U.S. government if his son receives a naval commission?
2. With whom does John Hay frequently spend time?
3. Who do the rebels think is the real boss in the U.S. government?
4. Who is the scandalous reporter for the New York Herald?
5. What does Lincoln order the U.S. marshals to do?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)