|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date of Lincoln's inauguration?
(a) April 15, 1865.
(b) March 4, 1861.
(c) May 12, 1862.
(d) January 21, 1861.
2. What does William Seward harshly critique about Lincoln?
(a) His wardrobe.
(b) His accent.
(c) His beard.
(d) His inaugural address.
3. What order does Lincoln issue about Fort Sumter in Chapter 11?
(a) Surrender it.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Attack it.
(d) Re-supply it.
4. What idea does Seward have for reuniting the North and the South?
(a) A joint foreign war.
(b) Impeaching Lincoln.
(c) Legalizing slavery.
(d) Huge tax credits.
5. What topic does Sprague talk about when he takes Kate riding?
(a) The fashions coming out of Paris.
(b) His military strategy.
(c) The shortage of cotton for New England mills.
(d) His new stable of horses.
6. With whom does John Hay frequently spend time?
7. Who is Bettie Duval?
(a) A Civil War nurse.
(b) A famous prostitute.
(c) A Southern night rider.
(d) A Civil War photographer.
8. Who administers the oath of office to Abraham Lincoln?
(a) Roger K. Holmes.
(b) Salmon P. Chase.
(c) Roger B. Taney.
(d) David P. Taney.
9. Part 1, Chapters 1-7 focus on the days between Abraham Lincoln's arrival in Washington, D.C. and ________.
(a) His assassination.
(b) The Gettysburg Address.
(c) His inauguration.
(d) The Emancipation Proclamation.
10. From whose perspective is Part 1, Chapter 8 NOT viewed?
(a) The presidential secretaries.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) The conspirators.
(d) Salmon P. Chase.
11. Which of Mrs. Lincoln's projects ultimately brings scandal to the White House?
(a) Funding the Underground Railroad.
(b) Redecorating the White House.
(c) Entertaining slaves.
(d) Hiring Russian servants.
12. Who is overwhelmed by Kate Chase's beauty?
(a) John Hay.
(b) William Sprague.
(c) David Herold.
(d) John Surratt.
13. Why does William Howard Russell, a London Times correspondent, think the South will win the war?
(a) It is more highly motivated.
(b) It has more troops.
(c) It has better weapons.
(d) It has West Point generals.
14. Why does David Herold regret that Lincoln must die?
(a) He believes his wife will go mad.
(b) He thinks he is a good man at heart.
(c) He finds him pleasant-looking.
(d) He knows he has young sons.
15. Who believes that one must experience hell before dying, not after?
(a) Mrs. Lincoln.
(b) Secretary Steward.
(c) General McClellan.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 4 sees the arrival of Lincoln's secretaries, John Hay and ________________.
2. Which general does Lincoln order to take command after McDowell's retreat?
3. What does Chevalier Wikoff offer to give the U.S. government if his son receives a naval commission?
4. Who is the scandalous reporter for the New York Herald?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about the new Congress?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)