|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was President Polk succeeded by?
2. Who claims to have owned a pickle factory in Chapter 65?
3. Where was the Union victory that was posted publicly the day that Willie Lincoln died?
4. For how long did Mrs. Lincoln stay in bed following her son's funeral?
5. What sensation does Hans Vollman describe when sitting inside of Lincoln in Chapter 49?
Short Essay Questions
1. What regrets are presented in Chapter 48?
2. What are the prides of Professor Edmund Bloomer and Lawrence T. Decroix?
3. What does the lock and key in Lincoln's pocket represent?
4. How does Mrs. Francis Hodge describe Litzie's life?
5. How are the Crutcher brothers and Mr. and Mrs. Reedy described?
6. Who is Benjamin ("Benjy") and why is he mentioned by Mr. and Mrs. Baron in Chapter 65?
7. How did Bevins and Vollman once cause a wedding?
8. What does Willie's suit symbolize in the novel?
9. How have the spirits of the bardo changed in apperance after occupying Lincoln in Chapter 77?
10. What does the Reverend Thomas describe of his transformation in Chapter 80?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the lives and deaths of Eddie and Betsy Baron in Lincoln in the Bardo. Where did Eddie and Betsy live when they were alive? What did they think of their circumstances? Why do they remain in the bardo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of Lincoln in the Bardo. Who are the principle narrators? Is their narrator related in first, second, or third-person perspective? What is the impact of having so many different narrators in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of loss and grief in Lincoln in the Bardo. How are these themes illustrated through character? What are symbols in the novel that reflect the themes of loss and grief?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)