|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's name in Chapter 1?
2. Who is cited as the author of With Lincoln in the White House?
3. What did Mrs. Tessenbaum do for many years after she was convinced she was manifesting in lingerie?
4. Who wrote to President Lincoln regarding his first reception, asking if the President were aware there was a Civil War going on?
5. Who is cited as the author of Our Capital in Time of War?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Willie refuse to pass on from the bardo for much of the novel?
2. Who is Flanders Quinn and how is he described?
3. What is notable about the dialogues of Eddie and Betsy Baron?
4. How is Mrs. Delaney's plight described in Chapter 31?
5. How are Mr. Randall and Mr. Twood described?
6. How does Hans Vollman describe his death in Chapter 1?
7. How does Roger Bevins III describe his suicide attempt in Chapter 9?
8. How does Roger Bevins III describe Mrs. Abigail Blass in Chapter 26?
9. What does Lieutenant Cecil Stone describe of his life in Chapter 26?
10. How is the appearance of Roger Bevins III described in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Reverend Everly Thomas in Lincoln in the Bardo. When did the Reverend come to the bardo? Why did he refuse to pass through the gates? What makes the Reverend stand out amongst the inhabitants of the bardo?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Elise Traynor? What is her role in the plot of Lincoln in the Bardo? How is this character described in the narrative? What does she represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of Lincoln in the Bardo. What elements of the novel reflect the circumstances of the 1860s? How does the historical context inform the action of the characters?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)