|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everett's speech is an example of an oratory for what occasion?
2. What would Lincoln commonly do to his speeches as a reminder?
3. In what city was a signed lithograph of the Gettysburg Address sold?
4. In what year was Pericles born?
5. What currently stands in the spot where Lincoln supposedly stood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change did the translation of Gorgias' undergo?
2. Why was it not possible to consecrate the ground?
3. What does Tilberg use as his main point regarding the location?
4. The newspaper texts use what phrase that is not included in the other versions?
5. Which two major speeches of Lincoln's are mentioned and how are they compared?
6. How was Lincoln known for handling disputes in court?
7. What was Lincoln's opinion on violence versus non-violence?
8. Why did it take so long for the Hay text to be discovered?
9. What is the purpose of Wills marking out the parts of Pericles' speech?
10. Who is credited with making the most logical choice for the location of Lincoln's address? What is the main element of proof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Lincoln and Everett were both well known orators and statesmen, the reader gets the impression that Everett was more revered. Why? What experience did Everett have that Lincoln did not? What experience did Lincoln have that would have trumped Everett? After reading the speeches, which do you feel was a more talented orator?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the division of the nine parts for a traditional funereal oratory and the purpose of each. Also define the following terms: Logoslergion, Dirkaion, Progonoi, Autochthones, Progonoi, and Paideia.
Essay Topic 3
What was the original conflict is deciding where Lincoln stood to make his famous speech? Is it a valid argument? What other theories have been presented by journalists and experts? Which do you feel is correct? Which claimant showed the most substantial proof? Explain.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)