|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the final part?
2. What is a Gorgianism?
3. Which copy of the speech is most likely the authentic one?
4. During what war did Pericles make his speech?
5. In what year did Lincoln serve in the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is credited with making the most logical choice for the location of Lincoln's address? What is the main element of proof?
2. What advice did Pericles give to the living?
3. What does Everett believe caused the defeat of the South?
4. According to Everett, what happened to the wounded left on the field?
5. Which two major speeches of Lincoln's are mentioned and how are they compared?
6. What was Lincoln's opinion on violence versus non-violence?
7. The newspaper texts use what phrase that is not included in the other versions?
8. Why was Tilberg convinced his assessment of Lincoln's position was correct? Were there other options?
9. What does Tilberg use as his main point regarding the location?
10. In what part does Everett talk about the battle itself? How are the parts separated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Lincoln and Everett were both well known orators and statesmen, the reader gets the impression that Everett was more revered. Why? What experience did Everett have that Lincoln did not? What experience did Lincoln have that would have trumped Everett? After reading the speeches, which do you feel was a more talented orator?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the division of the nine parts for a traditional funereal oratory and the purpose of each. Also define the following terms: Logoslergion, Dirkaion, Progonoi, Autochthones, Progonoi, and Paideia.
Essay Topic 3
What was the original conflict is deciding where Lincoln stood to make his famous speech? Is it a valid argument? What other theories have been presented by journalists and experts? Which do you feel is correct? Which claimant showed the most substantial proof? Explain.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)