|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everett's speech is an example of an oratory for what occasion?
2. Which family's vault rests near the correct location?
3. Which part describes Lee's defeat?
4. It was originally believed that Lincoln stood facing what item(s)?
5. Who currently runs the Gettysburg cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which two major speeches of Lincoln's are mentioned and how are they compared?
2. What does Tilberg use as his main point regarding the location?
3. Who is currently in charge of the Gettysburg battlefield and cemetery? Why is this the logical choice?
4. The newspaper texts use what phrase that is not included in the other versions?
5. Lincoln believed that it would not be of much consequence what was said in Gettysburg. What would be most remembered?
6. Which version of the speech is the most popular? Why?
7. What is the purpose of Wills marking out the parts of Pericles' speech?
8. Wills makes it a point to compare what theme in both speeches by Lincoln and Pericles?
9. What was the proposition made by the Founding Fathers?
10. Why was it important to state that the living should be devoted to the dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many opinions regarding Lincoln's speech at the Young Men's Lyceum. Name the various theories, who proposed them, and which historical figures Lincoln is tied to because of the speech.
Essay Topic 2
One of the most common the signs of defiance is the Confederate flag. In modern times, the Confederate flag is often considered to be racist. Compare and contrast the United States flag with the Confederate flag. Where did the makers of each flag get the idea for its design? Do you feel that the Confederate flag should be banned due to its history?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal to be said about Everett's classic style as well as Lincoln's economical use of words. While both were effective styles, there were occasions when one was more appropriate than the other. Compare the styles of speech used by the two men. Also list differences and how they affected the overall presentation.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)