|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last name of the famous orator scheduled to speak at Gettysburg?
2. Who was a devoted colleague of Webster's?
3. How many words are contained in the last sentence of the Gettysburg Address?
4. Which of the following was not mentioned as one of Parker's political concerns?
5. Who was the president of the Southern states?
Short Essay Questions
1. What famous writers often used themes of the ancient Greeks in their works?
2. How did Edward Everett tie into the revival?
3. What was Daniel Webster's famous quote regarding the succession of the Confederacy?
4. What was Henry Clay's main objective in the political arena?
5. What were Wills' duties in addition to burying the bodies of the fallen soldiers?
6. What habit of Lincoln's was worrisome to his family? Why were they worried?
7. What did Lincoln claim was the founding document of the United States? Why?
8. Why was the Battle of Gettysburg such an important event?
9. From what ailment did Lincoln suffer? What would it be called today?
10. Many claim that Lincoln had a natural ability to speak plainly. Is this statement true or false? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lincoln was often compared to the transcendentalist preacher Theodore Parker. Why were the two men compared? How did Lincoln feel about Parker's beliefs and policies? How did Lincoln incorporate his beliefs of transcendentalism into his political campaign? How do you think Lincoln's constituents viewed his beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities, strengths and careers of Robert E. Lee and George Meade. Who had the biggest impact on the Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
Lincoln was not the main speaker at Gettysburg. Who was the main speaker? Why was s/he chosen over Lincoln? Whose speech was more successful? How many people attended the speeches? What else was going on that day? Who else was in attendance?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)