|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where might one have this experience?
2. Wills says this about Lincoln, "He was a Transcendentalist without the ______."
3. Webster had successfully argued how many cases?
4. Who was William Herndon?
5. According to the author, slaves were often referred to as "the _______ of war."
Short Essay Questions
1. Wills states that although Lincoln moved toward a plainer style, it did not mean that his words would become stilted. Explain and also give an example.
2. Both the North and South confessed to making mistakes in their battle plans. What were the mistakes?
3. What political positions did Henry Clay hold?
4. What was the running joke between Lincoln and Stephen Douglas?
5. How did Lincoln's views on antislavery correspond to those of Theodore Parker?
6. What was Daniel Webster's famous quote regarding the succession of the Confederacy?
7. What was the game often played by John Hay and Lincoln after seeing a play?
8. Lincoln adopted a more powerful way of writing by pairing what two elements?
9. Why was the Battle of Gettysburg such an important event?
10. Why did Mrs. Lincoln engage in contact with the spirit world? How was this done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most common the signs of defiance is the Confederate flag. In modern times, the Confederate flag is often considered to be racist. Compare and contrast the United States flag with the Confederate flag. Where did the makers of each flag get the idea for its design? Do you feel that the Confederate flag should be banned due to its history?
Essay Topic 2
The author discusses the opinions of General U.S. Grant and James McPherson, both of whom had very strong ideas on how to confront the enemy. List those beliefs and their supporting reasons. How did Lincoln feel about these policies? What were Lincoln's personal beliefs about confrontation and conflict?
Essay Topic 3
What was the original conflict is deciding where Lincoln stood to make his famous speech? Is it a valid argument? What other theories have been presented by journalists and experts? Which do you feel is correct? Which claimant showed the most substantial proof? Explain.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)