|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Pericles born?
(a) 100 A.D.
(b) 495 B.C.
(c) 231 B.C.
(d) 94 B.C.
2. In the speech given by Pericles, he speaks of the virtues of his ____________.
3. What would Lincoln commonly do to his speeches as a reminder?
(a) Underline words
(b) Carry an extra copy
(c) Require an assistant to memorize it
(d) Use cue cards
4. According to Pericles, the soldiers died __________.
5. Everett lists the number of Union soldiers killed as ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln believed that war was objectionable on what terms?
2. Which text was surely not the correct one?
3. How many times did Lincoln copy the Gettysburg Address by long hand?
4. The speech claims that we have been met where?
5. Which was not a factor in determining the real site?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which version of the speech is the most popular? Why?
2. Why did it take so long for the Hay text to be discovered?
3. What was Lincoln's opinion on violence versus non-violence?
4. In what part does Everett talk about the battle itself? How are the parts separated?
5. According to Everett, what happened to the wounded left on the field?
6. Lincoln believed that it would not be of much consequence what was said in Gettysburg. What would be most remembered?
7. What advice did Pericles give to the living?
8. What was the proposition made by the Founding Fathers?
9. Wills makes it a point to compare what theme in both speeches by Lincoln and Pericles?
10. How many parts are contained in Everett's speech and what is the significance of the number?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)