|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state did Henry Clay represent?
2. Some believe that Lincoln wanted to be compared to what great historical figure?
3. What word was never used by Lincoln in referring to those who committed illegal acts?
4. The issue of interracial marriage was considered to be what kind of issue?
5. What was the preferred type of plays?
(d) Greek tragedy
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln believed that owning a slave put the master in the position of _________________.
2. What part of the classic speech tells people to live up to the sacrifice of those who died?
3. What country's culture had recently come back into style?
4. According to Wills, Lincoln's speech is _______________.
5. Lincoln believed that if all men are created equal, they cannot be _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Many claim that Lincoln had a natural ability to speak plainly. Is this statement true or false? Explain.
2. Why did Mrs. Lincoln engage in contact with the spirit world? How was this done?
3. Wills states that although Lincoln moved toward a plainer style, it did not mean that his words would become stilted. Explain and also give an example.
4. The failure of what document could be considered to be the impetus for the Civil War?
5. What did Lincoln claim was the founding document of the United States? Why?
6. What was the running joke between Lincoln and Stephen Douglas?
7. Why was it important for Lincoln to avoid the issue of interracial marriage?
8. What were the two flowery and overstated things Lincoln wrote in a letter to James Conkling?
9. Explain the division of the parts for a traditional funereal oratory.
10. What was Daniel Webster's famous quote regarding the succession of the Confederacy?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)