|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some believe that all American novels came out of what popular book?
(a) Uncle Tom's Cabin
(b) Little House on the Prairie
(c) Huckleberry Finn
(d) The Good Earth
2. What state did Henry Clay represent?
3. Who was the commander of the Northern army?
4. One of the most popular gathering spots was located in what city?
5. What is the proper name for a student of words?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Webster present his arguments?
2. Webster and Clay both supported what cause?
3. In classical oration, there are two parts: Epainesis and _______________.
4. Who was a devoted colleague of Webster's?
5. Webster and his legal counsel believed that the secession of the Confederacy was _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Garry Wills makes a specific comment about the changes in speech after Edward Everett made his speech at Gettysburg. What was the comment?
2. What political positions did Henry Clay hold?
3. How did Edward Everett tie into the revival?
4. What did Lincoln claim was the founding document of the United States? Why?
5. Lincoln adopted a more powerful way of writing by pairing what two elements?
6. How did Lincoln's views on antislavery correspond to those of Theodore Parker?
7. Complete this quote from Lincoln: "I do not perceive," he said, "that because the white man is to have the superior position that the Negro should be denied everything."
8. Why was Everett a desirable speaker at war memorials and cemeteries?
9. What does the author say about the myth that Lincoln wrote his Gettysburg Address on the train from Washington to Gettysburg?
10. What was the game often played by John Hay and Lincoln after seeing a play?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)