|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the man put in charge of cemetery operation?
2. How many people lived in Gettysburg at that time?
3. Some believe that all American novels came out of what popular book?
(a) The Good Earth
(b) Uncle Tom's Cabin
(c) Huckleberry Finn
(d) Little House on the Prairie
4. According to the author, slaves were often referred to as "the _______ of war."
5. Lincoln's depression was considered to be a sign of _________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln believed that owning a slave put the master in the position of _________________.
2. The South instituted laws against what activity?
3. Henry Clay was not a member of which political group?
4. Which of the following words were not used by Herndon to describe Lincoln?
5. How many days did the Battle of Gettysburg last?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lincoln's views on antislavery correspond to those of Theodore Parker?
2. What was Daniel Webster's famous quote regarding the succession of the Confederacy?
3. From what ailment did Lincoln suffer? What would it be called today?
4. What was the game often played by John Hay and Lincoln after seeing a play?
5. What did Lincoln claim was the founding document of the United States? Why?
6. Both the North and South confessed to making mistakes in their battle plans. What were the mistakes?
7. What was Henry Clay's main objective in the political arena?
8. What was the running joke between Lincoln and Stephen Douglas?
9. The failure of what document could be considered to be the impetus for the Civil War?
10. How did Joseph Story fit into the anti-slavery movement?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)