|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The epainesis section of an ancient funeral oratory has how many parts?
2. Which of these was not the basis for forming the American ideal?
(a) The government should protect those rights
(b) All men are created equal
(c) No man should be owned by another
(d) Every man has rights
3. With whom did Lincoln often attend plays?
(a) Daniel Webster
(b) John Hay
(c) William Henderson
(d) John Philip Sousa
4. Daniel Webster was born in what state?
(a) New Hampshire
(b) Rhode Island
5. To which political party did Clay and Webster belong?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the commander of the Northern army?
2. Who was William Herndon?
3. What was Theodore Parker's profession?
4. What state did Henry Clay represent?
5. Lincoln's depression was considered to be a sign of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The failure of what document could be considered to be the impetus for the Civil War?
2. How did Lincoln's views on antislavery correspond to those of Theodore Parker?
3. What was the running joke between Lincoln and Stephen Douglas?
4. Garry Wills makes a specific comment about the changes in speech after Edward Everett made his speech at Gettysburg. What was the comment?
5. What were the repercussions of the mistakes made by both generals?
6. Why was it important for Lincoln to avoid the issue of interracial marriage?
7. Explain the division of the parts for a traditional funereal oratory.
8. In addition to writing and oratory, what other art form was being revived at the time?
9. Lincoln believed that the tone of his address would have to reflect what emotions and beliefs?
10. What habit of Lincoln's was worrisome to his family? Why were they worried?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)