|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lincoln believed that owning a slave put the master in the position of _________________.
2. The epainesis section of an ancient funeral oratory has how many parts?
3. Lincoln said that one should hold firm as a ____ of steel.
4. How many words are contained in the last sentence of the Gettysburg Address?
5. Who was the commander of the Southern army?
6. Everett taught what famous writer?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson
(b) Robert Frost
(c) Henry David Thoreau
(d) Mark Twain
7. Who was a devoted colleague of Webster's?
(a) Andrew Jackson
(b) Joseph Story
(c) Theodore Parker
(d) Robert E. Lee
8. What was a favorite place for these followers to gather?
(c) Someone's home
(d) Pool hall
9. Lincoln said that the soldiers "gave their lives that the _____ may live."
(a) Memories of Heroes
(b) Founding Fathers
10. What metaphor may be used to describe this experience?
11. To whom was Everett often compared?
12. The Culture of Death was considered to be ____________________.
(a) Prudent and necessary
(b) Required and revered
(c) Foolish and a waste of time
(d) Stylish and romantic
13. Wills states that Lincoln used what type of imagery in the Gettysburg Address?
14. In what state did Lincoln grow up?
(b) West Virginia
(c) Rhode Island
15. Who was the president of the Southern states?
(a) Robert E. Lee
(b) George Meade
(c) Jefferson Davis
(d) Stonewall Jackson
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month was the Gettysburg Address held?
2. Lincoln believed that if all men are created equal, they cannot be _____________.
3. To whom did Webster present his arguments?
4. Lincoln believed that what action would help to deter slavery?
5. What was the preferred type of plays?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)