|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people in Phoenix talk to Akin about when he is changing?
2. Why does Akin remain quiet as they leave the second village in the middle of the night?
3. Why didn't Akin bond with Tiikuchahk?
4. What happens to Jodahs as he is traveling with Tomas and Jesusa?
5. In Chapter One of Exile, what does Jodahs begin to look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aaor say about Jodahs after he links with him and what does Nikanj say about Jodahs?
2. What does Akin argue about concerning humans when aboard a ship with Dichaan and what is Dichaan's response?
3. Why is Jodahs frightened about Nikanj's information and what does Nikanj say to him?
4. What does Akin see at the house when he wakes up in Chapter Eight, who helps him and what do the group from Phoenix do?
5. About what does Akin warn the two girl constructs, how do they respond and what does he ask them to do?
6. What does Aaor do with Jodahs when he is going to heal the man and what is the result of his behavior?
7. What is Akin told about his plan for the humans?
8. What does Akin think about Dehkiaht being with him?
9. What do the people who come to talk with Akin want to know? What do they have to say about his news?
10. How is Tino healed and what must he do for the birth of his sibling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lilith to Nikanj. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their gender differences?
2. Compare/contrast Aaor to Jodahs. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Joseph to Gabriel. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
4. Compare/contrast Tino to Tomas. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they more alike than they are different? Why or why not? Are either or both trustworthy? Are they likable?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Lilith's Brood is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
The time this novel takes place in the future. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think technology in "real life" will have advanced as far as it has in Lilith's Brood? Do you think it will have advanced further? Explain thoroughly with examples.
2. What do you think are the difficulties of creating a setting far into the future? What are the advantages?
3. Many science fiction novels written in the early 20th century actually "predicts" some technology that is commonplace during the first decade of the 21st century. Research some early science fiction novels and discuss how much of the "pretend" technology is actually "real" now. How you think Napoleon Hill's belief that "what man can conceive and believe, man can achieve" can explain how technology in early science fiction is now a reality?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)