|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the woman in Phoenix want to do with the two female constructs?
2. What does the ooloi tell Akin about his bonding with Tiikuchahk?
3. Why is Tiikuchahk going to stay around Akin?
4. Why didn't Akin bond with Tiikuchahk?
5. What does Nikanj say about Jodahs change?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Nikanj, Jodahs and the others meet as they leave to hide from the Oankali?
2. How is Tino found and what do the Oankali wonder about concerning Akin?
3. How is Tino healed and what must he do for the birth of his sibling?
4. What does Gabriel do when Akin is healing Tate and what does Akin realize?
5. What does Tiikuchahk say about his choices in metamorphosis and how do the Oankali respond to his indecisiveness?
6. What happens to Akin as he is going through change, how long will it take and what is happening in the village?
7. Who comes to fight with Akin's captors and what happens to them?
8. Why is Jodahs frightened about Nikanj's information and what does Nikanj say to him?
9. About what does Akin warn the two girl constructs, how do they respond and what does he ask them to do?
10. What does Aaor do with Jodahs when he is going to heal the man and what is the result of his behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Lilith's Brood. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Lilith's Brood. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? Why do you think Godfrey sacrifices himself?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Lilith's Brood seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems to enjoy killing? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Lilith's Brood, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Lilith's Brood.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Lilith's Brood. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Lilith's Brood. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)