|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nikanj say about Jodahs change?
2. What will happen to Earth when the Oankali ship leaves it?
3. In Chapter 7, how did the woman Nikanj and Jodahs' head get hurt?
4. About what do the people of Phoenix fight while Akin is there?
5. Why does Akin decide to stay close to one particular captor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aaor do with Jodahs when he is going to heal the man and what is the result of his behavior?
2. Who do Nikanj, Jodahs and the others meet as they leave to hide from the Oankali?
3. Why is Akin worried the humans won't trust him and what does he ask of Tate?
4. What does Tiikuchahk say about his choices in metamorphosis and how do the Oankali respond to his indecisiveness?
5. What do the people who come to talk with Akin want to know? What do they have to say about his news?
6. What does Akin think about Dehkiaht being with him?
7. What does Akin see at the house when he wakes up in Chapter Eight, who helps him and what do the group from Phoenix do?
8. Why is Jodahs frightened about Nikanj's information and what does Nikanj say to him?
9. How is Tino healed and what must he do for the birth of his sibling?
10. What does Jodahs begin to resemble and why? Who do they find who needs healing, what is Nikanj's response and why is Jodahs wary of healing him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Lilith's Brood.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Lilith's Brood. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Lilith's Brood. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Lilith's Brood, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that most likely Butler wanted the readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Butler's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)