|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Akin spend a lot of time with Tate when he first arrives in Phoenix?
2. What can ooloi do that might make them powerful?
3. Why does Akin remain quiet as they leave the second village in the middle of the night?
4. What does the ooloi tell Akin about his bonding with Tiikuchahk?
5. Who comes to the house where Akin is and begins to fight with the men who brought Akin to Phoenix?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Akin warn the two girl constructs, how do they respond and what does he ask them to do?
2. What does Aaor say about Jodahs after he links with him and what does Nikanj say about Jodahs?
3. Who comes to fight with Akin's captors and what happens to them?
4. What does Akin see at the house when he wakes up in Chapter Eight, who helps him and what do the group from Phoenix do?
5. What does Akin argue about concerning humans when aboard a ship with Dichaan and what is Dichaan's response?
6. Why is Tino arguing about Akin with the Oankali and what does Dichaan decide to do about it?
7. What does Gabriel do when Akin is healing Tate and what does Akin realize?
8. What is Akin told about his plan for the humans?
9. What does Jodahs begin to resemble and why? Who do they find who needs healing, what is Nikanj's response and why is Jodahs wary of healing him?
10. How does Akin feel about Dichaan's plan for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Lilith's Brood and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Lilith's Brood is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Living Dead in Dallas belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to science fiction.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre.
3. Discuss two reasons why it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
4. Discuss what your favorite genre is; give several examples and explain what you enjoy about books in that genre.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Lilith's Brood, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)