|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Galt not said to the other captors about Akin?
2. What does Jodahs' family decide to do about him?
3. How do Akin's captors find a note left at the first village?
4. In Chapter 6, what has changed in Aaor's and Jodahs' relationship?
5. In Chapter 7, how did the woman Nikanj and Jodahs' head get hurt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Akin realizes he needs to learn more and that he is Oankali enough to be heard when he explains about the resisters being mistreated.
2. Why is Akin worried the humans won't trust him and what does he ask of Tate?
3. What is Akin told about his plan for the humans?
4. What does Gabriel do when Akin is healing Tate and what does Akin realize?
5. What does Aaor do with Jodahs when he is going to heal the man and what is the result of his behavior?
6. How is Tino found and what do the Oankali wonder about concerning Akin?
7. Why does Nikanj say Jodahs and Aaor have to return to the ship and how does Jodahs respond to that assertion by Nikanj?
8. What do the people who come to talk with Akin want to know? What do they have to say about his news?
9. What does Jodahs say about his metamorphosis, how old is he and what does he believe he will be following his metamorphosis?
10. What does Akin see at the house when he wakes up in Chapter Eight, who helps him and what do the group from Phoenix do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Lilith's Brood interesting. Discuss the following "good" characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Nikanj. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Akin. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Lilith. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In Lilith's Brood, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
Essay Topic 3
Living Dead in Dallas belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to science fiction.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre.
3. Discuss two reasons why it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
4. Discuss what your favorite genre is; give several examples and explain what you enjoy about books in that genre.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)