|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Akin decide to stay close to one particular captor?
2. What does the ooloi tell Akin about his bonding with Tiikuchahk?
3. What do the men who have Akin discuss when they stop for a rest?
4. What does Akin realize after he wakes up from Gabriel hitting him?
5. Who rescues Akin when the house is on fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aaor say about Jodahs after he links with him and what does Nikanj say about Jodahs?
2. How is Tino found and what do the Oankali wonder about concerning Akin?
3. What does Akin think about Dehkiaht being with him?
4. Who do Nikanj, Jodahs and the others meet as they leave to hide from the Oankali?
5. What does Tiikuchahk say about his choices in metamorphosis and how do the Oankali respond to his indecisiveness?
6. What does Akin see at the house when he wakes up in Chapter Eight, who helps him and what do the group from Phoenix do?
7. What does Gabriel do when Akin is healing Tate and what does Akin realize?
8. Why does Nikanj say Jodahs and Aaor have to return to the ship and how does Jodahs respond to that assertion by Nikanj?
9. Why is Jodahs frightened about Nikanj's information and what does Nikanj say to him?
10. How does Akin feel about Dichaan's plan for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are non-human sentient beings in Lilith's Brood.. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the Oankali. Who are they? What are their powers? What is their purpose? Are they "good" or "evil"? What do they look like physically? What role do they play in forwarding the plot? Are they believable? Why or why not?
2. Thoroughly discuss an ooloi. What are they? What are their powers? What is their purpose? Are they "good" or "evil"? What do they look like physically? What role does he play in forwarding the plot? Is he believable? Why or why not?
3. Thoroughly discuss a construct. What are they? What are their powers? What is their purpose? Are they "good" or "evil"? What do they look like physically? What role do they play in forwarding the plot? Are they believable? Why or why not?
4. Do you think sentient, non-human beings adds to the enjoyment of Lilith's Brood? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Lilith's Brood, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
Essay Topic 3
Living Dead in Dallas belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to science fiction.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre.
3. Discuss two reasons why it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
4. Discuss what your favorite genre is; give several examples and explain what you enjoy about books in that genre.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)