|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tate say she will leave Earth?
2. What does Akin think about humans and Earth?
3. Where does Akin go first when he returns to earth?
4. In Chapter 7, how did the woman Nikanj and Jodahs' head get hurt?
5. Why might any construct be frightened of becoming ooloi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to fight with Akin's captors and what happens to them?
2. How does Akin feel about Dichaan's plan for him?
3. What does Akin think about Dehkiaht being with him?
4. How is Tino healed and what must he do for the birth of his sibling?
5. Where does Akin go and what does he find when he returns to earth? What does he tell his friends there?
6. What is Akin told about his plan for the humans?
7. What does Aaor say about Jodahs after he links with him and what does Nikanj say about Jodahs?
8. Why is Akin worried the humans won't trust him and what does he ask of Tate?
9. What are Akins hopes when they reach Phoenix, with whom do he and his captors stay? What does the kind man tell Akin to do in Phoenix?
10. Why is Tino arguing about Akin with the Oankali and what does Dichaan decide to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Lilith's Brood. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Lilith's Brood. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? Why do you think Godfrey sacrifices himself?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Lilith's Brood seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems to enjoy killing? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 2
The time this novel takes place in the future. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think technology in "real life" will have advanced as far as it has in Lilith's Brood? Do you think it will have advanced further? Explain thoroughly with examples.
2. What do you think are the difficulties of creating a setting far into the future? What are the advantages?
3. Many science fiction novels written in the early 20th century actually "predicts" some technology that is commonplace during the first decade of the 21st century. Research some early science fiction novels and discuss how much of the "pretend" technology is actually "real" now. How you think Napoleon Hill's belief that "what man can conceive and believe, man can achieve" can explain how technology in early science fiction is now a reality?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that most likely Butler wanted the readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Butler's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)