|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Akin when the house is on fire?
2. What relationship do Tomas and Jesusa share?
3. Why does Jodahs look as he does?
4. Why does Akin spend a lot of time with Tate when he first arrives in Phoenix?
5. Why do the humans who don't want to leave Earth still decide to do it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Akins hopes when they reach Phoenix, with whom do he and his captors stay? What does the kind man tell Akin to do in Phoenix?
2. How is Tino healed and what must he do for the birth of his sibling?
3. What does Aaor say about Jodahs after he links with him and what does Nikanj say about Jodahs?
4. What does Aaor do with Jodahs when he is going to heal the man and what is the result of his behavior?
5. What do Tomas and Jesusa do when Jodahs begins his second metamorphosis and what do they not know about it?
6. How is Tino found and what do the Oankali wonder about concerning Akin?
7. Who comes to fight with Akin's captors and what happens to them?
8. Why is Akin worried the humans won't trust him and what does he ask of Tate?
9. What happens to Akin as he is going through change, how long will it take and what is happening in the village?
10. What does Akin argue about concerning humans when aboard a ship with Dichaan and what is Dichaan's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Lilith's Brood. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Lilith's Brood. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? Why do you think Godfrey sacrifices himself?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Lilith's Brood seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems to enjoy killing? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lilith to Nikanj. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their gender differences?
2. Compare/contrast Aaor to Jodahs. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Joseph to Gabriel. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
4. Compare/contrast Tino to Tomas. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they more alike than they are different? Why or why not? Are either or both trustworthy? Are they likable?
Essay Topic 3
The time this novel takes place in the future. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think technology in "real life" will have advanced as far as it has in Lilith's Brood? Do you think it will have advanced further? Explain thoroughly with examples.
2. What do you think are the difficulties of creating a setting far into the future? What are the advantages?
3. Many science fiction novels written in the early 20th century actually "predicts" some technology that is commonplace during the first decade of the 21st century. Research some early science fiction novels and discuss how much of the "pretend" technology is actually "real" now. How you think Napoleon Hill's belief that "what man can conceive and believe, man can achieve" can explain how technology in early science fiction is now a reality?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)