|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nikanj have to go in Chapter 11?
2. Why did the resister leave his village?
3. Why can't Lilith leave the house where she is with Nikanj?
4. Why does Lilith agree to go along with Tate and the others?
5. Why does Lilith only wake women at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in the room when Lilith wakes in Chapter 2 and what does she learn?
2. What does Lilith watch Jdahya do when they leave the room and what is his explanation of his action?
3. What does Jdahya tell Lilith the Oankali have discovered about the human species?
4. What does Lilith do when several men try to rape a woman?
5. In Chapter 4, where do Lilith and Joseph go and why are the others following them?
6. What happens when Lilith is out gathering supplies and why did it happen?
7. What does Lilith do before she wakes any humans and who does she decide to wake first?
8. Who is Akin and what does he look like? Who is is father and why does Lilith worry?
9. What does Nikanj say about Lilith's worries?
10. Who does Lilith meet in Chapter One of Dawn and how does she feel about Jdahya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Lilith's Brood, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lilith's world to that of "real" life. What are the advantages to each world? The disadvantages?
2. In which world would you rather live in if you were human? What about if you were Oankali? Explain your response.
3. If you had an ooloi's abilities how would you use them? Use examples from Lilith's Brood and your own life to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The time this novel takes place in the future. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think technology in "real life" will have advanced as far as it has in Lilith's Brood? Do you think it will have advanced further? Explain thoroughly with examples.
2. What do you think are the difficulties of creating a setting far into the future? What are the advantages?
3. Many science fiction novels written in the early 20th century actually "predicts" some technology that is commonplace during the first decade of the 21st century. Research some early science fiction novels and discuss how much of the "pretend" technology is actually "real" now. How you think Napoleon Hill's belief that "what man can conceive and believe, man can achieve" can explain how technology in early science fiction is now a reality?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)