|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lilith agree to go along with Tate and the others?
2. Why is Lilith looking at the information about the humans on the Oankali ship?
3. How old is Akin when he begins talking in complete sentences?
4. How does Lilith feel about Joseph's idea?
5. What does Nikanj tell Lilith the humans planned to do with her on Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about Akin's intelligence and his body from humans?
2. What happens to Tino and Akin when they are out alone?
3. In Chapter Nine, Nursery, why is Joseph angry at Lilith and what happens when they argue?
4. What does Lilith do when several men try to rape a woman?
5. What does Tate think about Lilith's story, what does Lilith show her and what does Tate say she is instead of a prisoner?
6. Who attacks Lilith's camp, what does he do, who finds Lilith and what happens to Joseph?
7. How are the humans reacting when many of them have been woken and what does Lilith do when attacked and what does she realize?
8. Why does Nikanj take Lilith back home in Chapter 3 and what does Nikanj refuse to do when it takes her back?
9. What does Jdahya tell Lilith the Oankali have discovered about the human species?
10. What happens when Lilith is out gathering supplies and why did it happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Living Dead in Dallas belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to science fiction.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre.
3. Discuss two reasons why it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
4. Discuss what your favorite genre is; give several examples and explain what you enjoy about books in that genre.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Lilith is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Lilith demonstrates her special abilities such as her superhuman strength or super memory. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Lilith's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Lilith's admirable traits makes her popular and able to help with many problems of her friends. Have her flaws impacted her life? Do any of her friends notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Lilith's Brood, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)