|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lilith agree to go along with Tate and the others?
2. What do the men in the forest do to Akin?
3. Why does Lilith like Jdahya?
4. What does the person from question #38 tell Lilith when Lilith says she is a prisoner?
5. What human does Lilith wake first?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Training Floor where are the humans put, why and what are they talking about?
2. About what is Akin warned and why does his family watch him closely?
3. What happens when Lilith is out gathering supplies and why did it happen?
4. What does Lilith do when several men try to rape a woman?
5. Who do Lilith and Akin meet in the forest and what is Lilith's reaction?
6. What happens to Tino and Akin when they are out alone?
7. Who does Lilith meet in Chapter One of Dawn and how does she feel about Jdahya?
8. What does Nikanj say about Lilith's worries?
9. What does Jdahya tell Lilith about the sexes of the Oankali?
10. Why does Lilith have to stay with an ooloi and what does Nikanj ask Lilith to let it do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Lilith's Brood.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Lilith's Brood. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Lilith's Brood. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
The time this novel takes place in the future. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think technology in "real life" will have advanced as far as it has in Lilith's Brood? Do you think it will have advanced further? Explain thoroughly with examples.
2. What do you think are the difficulties of creating a setting far into the future? What are the advantages?
3. Many science fiction novels written in the early 20th century actually "predicts" some technology that is commonplace during the first decade of the 21st century. Research some early science fiction novels and discuss how much of the "pretend" technology is actually "real" now. How you think Napoleon Hill's belief that "what man can conceive and believe, man can achieve" can explain how technology in early science fiction is now a reality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lilith's world to that of "real" life. What are the advantages to each world? The disadvantages?
2. In which world would you rather live in if you were human? What about if you were Oankali? Explain your response.
3. If you had an ooloi's abilities how would you use them? Use examples from Lilith's Brood and your own life to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)