|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do other Oankali tell Lilith is her role for the humans going to earth?
2. What does Tino remember from the ship when he was younger?
3. Why does Lilith lead the group?
4. What is the resister in the forest holding?
5. In Chapter 3 what are Tate and others building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in the room when Lilith wakes in Chapter 2 and what does she learn?
2. What does Jdahya tell Lilith the Oankali have discovered about the human species?
3. What does Tate think about Lilith's story, what does Lilith show her and what does Tate say she is instead of a prisoner?
4. In Chapter Nine, Nursery, why is Joseph angry at Lilith and what happens when they argue?
5. What happens when Lilith and Joseph try to hold hands and what do they know about it?
6. Who do Lilith and Akin meet in the forest and what is Lilith's reaction?
7. Why does Lilith have to stay with an ooloi and what does Nikanj ask Lilith to let it do?
8. What do Tate, Gabriel and Joseph decide to do in Chapter Three, The Training Floor and what are the humans saying about their situation?
9. What does Nikanj say about Lilith's worries?
10. Why does Nikanj take Lilith back home in Chapter 3 and what does Nikanj refuse to do when it takes her back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Lilith's Brood. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Lilith's Brood. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? Why do you think Godfrey sacrifices himself?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Lilith's Brood seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems to enjoy killing? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 2
In Lilith's Brood, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
Essay Topic 3
There are non-human sentient beings in Lilith's Brood.. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the Oankali. Who are they? What are their powers? What is their purpose? Are they "good" or "evil"? What do they look like physically? What role do they play in forwarding the plot? Are they believable? Why or why not?
2. Thoroughly discuss an ooloi. What are they? What are their powers? What is their purpose? Are they "good" or "evil"? What do they look like physically? What role does he play in forwarding the plot? Is he believable? Why or why not?
3. Thoroughly discuss a construct. What are they? What are their powers? What is their purpose? Are they "good" or "evil"? What do they look like physically? What role do they play in forwarding the plot? Are they believable? Why or why not?
4. Do you think sentient, non-human beings adds to the enjoyment of Lilith's Brood? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)