|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does one of the women attack Lilith?
2. What is the name of Jdahya's species?
3. What do the men in the forest do to Akin?
4. What is wrong with Joseph when Lilith finds him?
5. What does Curt do to Nikanj?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jdahya tell Lilith the Oankali have discovered about the human species?
2. About what is Akin warned and why does his family watch him closely?
3. What does Tate think about Lilith's story, what does Lilith show her and what does Tate say she is instead of a prisoner?
4. Who attacks Lilith's camp, what does he do, who finds Lilith and what happens to Joseph?
5. In Chapter 4, where do Lilith and Joseph go and why are the others following them?
6. What is different about Akin's intelligence and his body from humans?
7. What does Jdahya tell Lilith about the sexes of the Oankali?
8. How are the humans reacting when many of them have been woken and what does Lilith do when attacked and what does she realize?
9. In Chapter Nine, Nursery, why is Joseph angry at Lilith and what happens when they argue?
10. What does Lilith find out about her memory when she allows Nikanj to work on her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Lilith's Brood, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Lilith's Brood interesting. Discuss the following "good" characters:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Nikanj. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Akin. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Lilith. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The time this novel takes place in the future. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think technology in "real life" will have advanced as far as it has in Lilith's Brood? Do you think it will have advanced further? Explain thoroughly with examples.
2. What do you think are the difficulties of creating a setting far into the future? What are the advantages?
3. Many science fiction novels written in the early 20th century actually "predicts" some technology that is commonplace during the first decade of the 21st century. Research some early science fiction novels and discuss how much of the "pretend" technology is actually "real" now. How you think Napoleon Hill's belief that "what man can conceive and believe, man can achieve" can explain how technology in early science fiction is now a reality?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)