|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the resister in the forest holding?
2. How does Lilith feel about Joseph's idea?
3. What does the person from question #38 tell Lilith when Lilith says she is a prisoner?
4. What happens among the humans as Lilith has more of them awake?
5. What do Lilith and Joseph find when they arrive at the meeting place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in the room when Lilith wakes in Chapter 2 and what does she learn?
2. What two men are the first to be awaken by Lilith, what do they think of Lilith's story and what does one of them say about their return to earth?
3. Who does Lilith meet in Chapter One of Dawn and how does she feel about Jdahya?
4. In Chapter 2, Dawn, where does Kahguyaht take Lilith and what does he do with Lilith after that?
5. Who attacks Lilith's camp, what does he do, who finds Lilith and what happens to Joseph?
6. In the Training Floor where are the humans put, why and what are they talking about?
7. What does Jdahya tell Lilith about the sexes of the Oankali?
8. What happens when Lilith and Joseph try to hold hands and what do they know about it?
9. Why does Lilith have to stay with an ooloi and what does Nikanj ask Lilith to let it do?
10. What does Tate think about Lilith's story, what does Lilith show her and what does Tate say she is instead of a prisoner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The time this novel takes place in the future. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think technology in "real life" will have advanced as far as it has in Lilith's Brood? Do you think it will have advanced further? Explain thoroughly with examples.
2. What do you think are the difficulties of creating a setting far into the future? What are the advantages?
3. Many science fiction novels written in the early 20th century actually "predicts" some technology that is commonplace during the first decade of the 21st century. Research some early science fiction novels and discuss how much of the "pretend" technology is actually "real" now. How you think Napoleon Hill's belief that "what man can conceive and believe, man can achieve" can explain how technology in early science fiction is now a reality?
Essay Topic 2
There are non-human sentient beings in Lilith's Brood.. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the Oankali. Who are they? What are their powers? What is their purpose? Are they "good" or "evil"? What do they look like physically? What role do they play in forwarding the plot? Are they believable? Why or why not?
2. Thoroughly discuss an ooloi. What are they? What are their powers? What is their purpose? Are they "good" or "evil"? What do they look like physically? What role does he play in forwarding the plot? Is he believable? Why or why not?
3. Thoroughly discuss a construct. What are they? What are their powers? What is their purpose? Are they "good" or "evil"? What do they look like physically? What role do they play in forwarding the plot? Are they believable? Why or why not?
4. Do you think sentient, non-human beings adds to the enjoyment of Lilith's Brood? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Lilith's Brood is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)