|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Curt do to Nikanj?
2. What does Nikanj say the other humans are saying about Joseph and Lilith?
3. In Chapter 10 Lilith is changed so she can do what?
4. What does Nikanj tell Lilith Kahguyaht wants to do to her?
5. When will Jdahya show Lilith around where she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Training Floor where are the humans put, why and what are they talking about?
2. What does Jdahya tell Lilith about the sexes of the Oankali?
3. In Chapter 2, Dawn, where does Kahguyaht take Lilith and what does he do with Lilith after that?
4. What happens when Lilith and Joseph try to hold hands and what do they know about it?
5. Who does Lilith meet in Chapter One of Dawn and how does she feel about Jdahya?
6. What does Jdahya tell Lilith about her group and earth and the Oankali and earth?
7. Who is the first human Lilith is allowed to meet, how does the meeting go and what is the result of the meeting? What does Lilith tell the Oankali about the human?
8. What two men are the first to be awaken by Lilith, what do they think of Lilith's story and what does one of them say about their return to earth?
9. Who is Akin and what does he look like? Who is is father and why does Lilith worry?
10. Where is Lilith Iyapo when she wakes up in Chapter 1 and what is different this time then other times she's awakened? What does Lilith know about her situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Lilith's Brood help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Lilith's Brood? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Lilith's Brood to discuss and compare Lilith's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Living Dead in Dallas belongs to the science fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to science fiction.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre.
3. Discuss two reasons why it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
4. Discuss what your favorite genre is; give several examples and explain what you enjoy about books in that genre.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Lilith's Brood based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Lilith's Brood is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that Lilith's Brood is a trilogy changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)