|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lilith have this time as she awakens that she hasn't been given before?
2. Who is the first human Lilith meets on the Oankali ship?
3. What about Lilith's body allowed Nikanj to heal?
4. What does Lilith believe the other humans will do when she awakens them?
5. In Chapter 10 Lilith is changed so she can do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lilith and Joseph try to hold hands and what do they know about it?
2. What do Tate, Gabriel and Joseph decide to do in Chapter Three, The Training Floor and what are the humans saying about their situation?
3. About what is Akin warned and why does his family watch him closely?
4. In Chapter 4, where do Lilith and Joseph go and why are the others following them?
5. What is different about Akin's intelligence and his body from humans?
6. Who do Lilith and Akin meet in the forest and what is Lilith's reaction?
7. How are the humans reacting when many of them have been woken and what does Lilith do when attacked and what does she realize?
8. Who is Akin and what does he look like? Who is is father and why does Lilith worry?
9. Who does Lilith meet in Chapter One of Dawn and how does she feel about Jdahya?
10. In the Training Floor where are the humans put, why and what are they talking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lilith's Brood is written in the genre of science fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What sets science fiction apart from other genres? Discuss several characteristics of science fiction that are absent in other genres and vice versa.
2. Some people might say that science fiction is merely for entertainment? Do you agree? Explain.
3. Discuss why Lilith's Brood falls under the genre of science fiction.
4. Why do you think literary criticism breaks down fiction into genres? Do you think the labeling of genre to a work is useful to a reader? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that most likely Butler wanted the readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Butler's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lilith to Nikanj. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their gender differences?
2. Compare/contrast Aaor to Jodahs. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Who is the better leader/ruler? Under which one would you rather live?
3. Compare/contrast Joseph to Gabriel. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
4. Compare/contrast Tino to Tomas. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they more alike than they are different? Why or why not? Are either or both trustworthy? Are they likable?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)