|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nikanj?
2. Why is Lilith given to Kahguyaht?
3. What are the humans given when put into an Earth environment on the ship?
4. What are the humans speaking out about in Chapter 1?
5. How many different sexes of Jdahya's species are there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lilith and Joseph try to hold hands and what do they know about it?
2. What happens to Tino and Akin when they are out alone?
3. What does Tate think about Lilith's story, what does Lilith show her and what does Tate say she is instead of a prisoner?
4. What does Jdahya tell Lilith about her group and earth and the Oankali and earth?
5. What does Lilith watch Jdahya do when they leave the room and what is his explanation of his action?
6. What does Jdahya tell Lilith about the sexes of the Oankali?
7. Who do Lilith and Akin meet in the forest and what is Lilith's reaction?
8. In Chapter 2, Dawn, where does Kahguyaht take Lilith and what does he do with Lilith after that?
9. What does Lilith do when several men try to rape a woman?
10. Who is Akin and what does he look like? Who is is father and why does Lilith worry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Lilith's Brood, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Lilith's Brood.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
Essay Topic 2
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of Lilith's Brood, much of the setting is familiar to the reader, though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of Lilith's world that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in Lilith's world. Define the words as used in in Lilith's world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of Lilith's Brood. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in Living Dead in Dallas? What word(s)?
3. Were there any words you never really understood from Lilith's Brood? Which ones?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Lilith's Brood.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Lilith's Brood. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Lilith's Brood. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)