|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raven call the interrupter?
2. What does the interrupter become after abandoning Raven?
3. What happens to the hole Vane digs?
4. Why does Vane think the Little Ones are in danger?
5. What does the Old Man who Vane meets claim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 4, when Vane objects to not being treated as a free agent, Raven claims that once he chooses to be free, he will be free, and adds that Vane is just beginning to become an individual. Likewise, one can only make a fool of oneself. Such riddles become the bane of Vane's existence. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze two riddles that occurs in Lilith. What do you think each riddle means? Why do you think Raven talks in riddles (at least in Vane's opinion) at times?
2. Many spiritual teachers are known to speak in parables, or something akin to riddles, to their followers. Why do you think parables and riddles are used so often as teaching tools for esoteric ideas?
3. Offer a reader-response to the use of riddles in Lilith. Do they frustrate you or intrigue you? Or a little of both? Give examples and explain your response to them.
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow is two-dimensional, opaque , absorbing its own shadow, and invariably accompanied by an enormous white female leopard. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the appearance of the character "The Shadow." Is he/she/it "real"? Why do you think is is usually accompanied by the white female leopard? Do you think this implies that the Shadow is male energy?
2. There is a concept that everyone has a "shadow" side. Trace and analyze this concept as it occurs in LILITH. Does every in the book seem to have a shadow side? If their shadow side seems predominant (such as Lilith or the Giants) do they have a "light" side? Do the Little Ones have a shadow side? What about Adam? Eve? Are the Giants the shadow side of something/someone else? Who?
Essay Topic 3
Lilith is replete with symbols. Discuss the following:
1. Describe the garret and mirror and what each may symbolize. Do you think they are successful in what they may symbolize? Why or why not.
2. Describe the different leopards and discuss the symbolism of them.
3. Discuss Raven and why you think MacDonald may have chosen to name Adam as Raven. It will probably be helpful to research the various symbolic meanings often ascribed to the Raven.
This section contains 2,791 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)