|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sobbing over Lona's body?
2. What does Vane contemplate?
3. Towards what do Vane and Lona climb?
4. What does Vane wish?
5. What does the Princess do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam explain about sleep?
2. Describe Vane's trek to buy Lililth's hand.
3. When Vane sees the Princess, what does she tell him when she first sees him and what does he think?
4. What does the Princess tell Vane after Vane bathes and eats?
5. Describe the garret and mirror.
6. Why does Vane say he is unworthy to sleep in the chamber and what does he have to first do before sleeping?
7. What does Lona tell Vane has happened since he was last there?
8. What does Vane think about after he has been "pushed" back into his own world?
9. Who pushes for an attack on the city and what is Vane's response?
10. What saves Vane from wolves and how do they influence Vane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Vane examines some old papers. One thing written there is the sentence: "I know the outspread splendour a passing show ... it may... be lifted to reveal more wonderful things." Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the implication of the above quote as to the nature of reality.
2. The reality of the world into which Vane enters through the mirror is quite different from the "real" world which is composed of only three dimensions. Compare/contrast the properties of the "real" world (that which we live in) to the properties of the world Vane visits.
3. At the end of the book, Vane, Lona and the Little Ones are walking towards a City on top of a mountain. The suggestion is that this city is "heaven." Discuss how you think the world of this city may differ from both our earth and the world in which Bulika is set.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Vane. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? How do you think his time in the other world influences who he is in the "real" world? Or does it?
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Raven/Adam. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise?
3. Why do you think there are more well-developed female characters than male characters? Discuss fully with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Lilith, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Do you think it is harder to identify the plot in a fantasy novel than some others? Why or why not?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
4. The sub-title of the book Lilth is "A Romance." What is the plot that deals with a romance? Discuss the story as a "romance" and how it is structured.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)