|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what are the Little Ones plagued?
2. From what book does Raven read?
3. What happens when Odu looks upon Mara's face?
4. How does the Army enter the city?
5. Who has a baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam explain about sleep?
2. How does Lilith get her hand unclenched and what happens to her?
3. What does Raven tell Vane back at Vane's house?
4. What does Lona tell Vane has happened since he was last there?
5. Describe Vane's trek to buy Lililth's hand.
6. What does Mara do with Lilith?
7. When Vane sees the Princess, what does she tell him when she first sees him and what does he think?
8. Describe Vane.
9. What does Lilith do in the desert and what does she demand?
10. What happens to the white cat that interrupts Raven's reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of LILITH and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Lilith is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Discuss two ideas from Lilith that you find intriguing and why.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of major woman characters in LILITH. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lilith to Eve. How are they alike? How are they different? Who seems more authentic? Who seems wiser? Stronger? More likable?
2. Compare/contrast the two personalities of the woman first called "Cat-Woman" and then later she calls herself Mara.
3. Discuss how you think MacDonald views women from how he portrays them in LILITH. Does he see them as one-dimensional? Complex? Either good or evil (nothing in between). As equal to men? Superior or inferior to men?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of places where Mr. Vane expresses his loneliness and even suggests that being close to an animal would be better than nothing. It is human companionship that he seems to yearn for above all else. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the concept of loneliness throughout Lilith. Who seems lonely? Why are they lonely? Do they recognize the situation? What do they do to remedy their loneliness?
2. Is loneliness always a negative thing? What can be learned from loneliness? When does loneliness go from being a positive learning experience to an unhealthy situation? Discuss these question with both examples from the text and in your own experience.
3. Medical and scientific studies have suggested that people who live alone with no family, few friends and no pets tend to die sooner than those with some connections. Even people who are isolated but have a pet(s) seem to live longer than the completely alone. Research the topic, write a synopsis of your research and relate it to Lilith.
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)