Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vane welcome the cold?
2. Into what does the spotted leopard turn?
3. What have the Little Ones learned to do?
4. Who has adapted to life in the trees?
5. Who interrupts Raven's reading?
Essay Topic 1
Lilith is replete with symbols. Discuss the following:
1. Describe the garret and mirror and what each may symbolize. Do you think they are successful in what they may symbolize? Why or why not.
2. Describe the different leopards and discuss the symbolism of them.
3. Discuss Raven and why you think MacDonald may have chosen to name Adam as Raven. It will probably be helpful to research the various symbolic meanings often ascribed to the Raven.
Essay Topic 2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of LILITH and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Lilith is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Discuss two ideas from Lilith that you find intriguing and why.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of places where Mr. Vane expresses his loneliness and even suggests that being close to an animal would be better than nothing. It is human companionship that he seems to yearn for above all else. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the concept of loneliness throughout Lilith. Who seems lonely? Why are they lonely? Do they recognize the situation? What do they do to remedy their loneliness?
2. Is loneliness always a negative thing? What can be learned from loneliness? When does loneliness go from being a positive learning experience to an unhealthy situation? Discuss these question with both examples from the text and in your own experience.
3. Medical and scientific studies have suggested that people who live alone with no family, few friends and no pets tend to die sooner than those with some connections. Even people who are isolated but have a pet(s) seem to live longer than the completely alone. Research the topic, write a synopsis of your research and relate it to Lilith.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)