Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vane welcome the cold?
2. Into what does the spotted leopard turn?
3. What have the Little Ones learned to do?
4. Who has adapted to life in the trees?
5. Who interrupts Raven's reading?
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Vane. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? How do you think his time in the other world influences who he is in the "real" world? Or does it?
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Raven/Adam. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise?
3. Why do you think there are more well-developed female characters than male characters? Discuss fully with examples.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of "universal salvation" as it occurs in LILITH. What does this term mean in context of Christianity? How is it expressed in Lilith? Is this concept part of the fundamental precepts of most Christian sects? Why or why not?
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of greed as it occurs in LILITH. What characters are greedy? Why? Is Vane greedy when he reaches out to grasp the beautiful creature he sees (Chapter 7, p. 47). Who is able to let go of greed? How do they do so? Does anyone refuse to transform his/her greed? Who? Why?
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze the juxtaposing of beauty with evil. How are the two concepts related? What characters are beautiful? Is beauty only physical? What characters are beautiful on the outside but evil on the inside? Is the internal evil transformed to match the external beauty? With whom? How?
Lilith is replete with symbols. Discuss the following:
1. Describe the garret and mirror and what each may symbolize. Do you think they are successful in what they may symbolize? Why or why not.
2. Describe the different leopards and discuss the symbolism of them.
3. Discuss Raven and why you think MacDonald may have chosen to name Adam as Raven. It will probably be helpful to research the various symbolic meanings often ascribed to the Raven.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)