|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the sick and deformed taxed?
2. Why does the Princess of Bulika kill every baby of which she hears?
3. What is one person the papers mention?
4. By what do Vane and the Ravens walk?
5. What library does Cat-Woman tell Vane to visit to learn about the Little Ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Raven very accommodating to Vane?
2. What does Raven give Vane to follow and what happens to the guide?
3. How does Vane interact with the white Leopardess?
4. What comforts Vane about his father and what does Vane postulate about his father's death?
5. How does the woman act when she first stands alive?
6. To where does Mr. Vane follow the figure who appears and disappears?
7. Why do the Little Ones weep and why does Vane worry about his interaction with them?
8. Describe what happens at the Sexton's Cottage before they go through the inner door.
9. What does Raven call the place where Mr. Vane is and what odd things are there?
10. How are the sleepers described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of major woman characters in LILITH. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lilith to Eve. How are they alike? How are they different? Who seems more authentic? Who seems wiser? Stronger? More likable?
2. Compare/contrast the two personalities of the woman first called "Cat-Woman" and then later she calls herself Mara.
3. Discuss how you think MacDonald views women from how he portrays them in LILITH. Does he see them as one-dimensional? Complex? Either good or evil (nothing in between). As equal to men? Superior or inferior to men?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Vane. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? How do you think his time in the other world influences who he is in the "real" world? Or does it?
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Raven/Adam. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise?
3. Why do you think there are more well-developed female characters than male characters? Discuss fully with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Lilith, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Do you think it is harder to identify the plot in a fantasy novel than some others? Why or why not?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
4. The sub-title of the book Lilth is "A Romance." What is the plot that deals with a romance? Discuss the story as a "romance" and how it is structured.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)