|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a characteristic of objects in this place?
2. Why does Vane think his father may have followed him to the heather?
3. What does Mr. Vane decide to do after waking?
4. For what does Raven use Vane's house?
5. What does the woman in white injure one of the Princess of Bulika's leopards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vane do that is an "awful duty"?
2. Describe what happens at the Sexton's Cottage before they go through the inner door.
3. What does Mr. Vane ask of the raven and how does the raven respond?
4. What does Raven give Vane to follow and what happens to the guide?
5. To where does Mr. Vane follow the figure who appears and disappears?
6. How does Vane interact with the white Leopardess?
7. What does Raven call the place where Mr. Vane is and what odd things are there?
8. What does Lona tell Vane about Little Ones and what is his response?
9. What does Vane's father describe in some papers Vane finds?
10. How does Vane meet Cat-Woman and how does he feel about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Shadow is two-dimensional, opaque , absorbing its own shadow, and invariably accompanied by an enormous white female leopard. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the appearance of the character "The Shadow." Is he/she/it "real"? Why do you think is is usually accompanied by the white female leopard? Do you think this implies that the Shadow is male energy?
2. There is a concept that everyone has a "shadow" side. Trace and analyze this concept as it occurs in LILITH. Does every in the book seem to have a shadow side? If their shadow side seems predominant (such as Lilith or the Giants) do they have a "light" side? Do the Little Ones have a shadow side? What about Adam? Eve? Are the Giants the shadow side of something/someone else? Who?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Vane. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? How do you think his time in the other world influences who he is in the "real" world? Or does it?
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Raven/Adam. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise?
3. Why do you think there are more well-developed female characters than male characters? Discuss fully with examples.
Essay Topic 3
She calls the Little Ones "careless little Lovers" who do not know their own names. When Vane wonders about his own true name, she declares that this is unimportant. In many cultures, names are considered sacred and one who knows someone else's "true" name has power over that person. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the concept of names in Lilith. Does a person have more than one name? Why or why not? How is a true name given? Why use more than one name?
2. How does Vane's relationship change to others as he learns their names? (For example, when he figures out that Raven is actually Adam from the creation story in Genesis.)
3. Do you think Lilith's name changes as she finally agrees to sleep (true death)? Why or why not.
4. Why do you think the Little Ones do not know their own names? Why does Lona know her name? What do you think will change about the Little Ones as they (if they) learn their names?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)