|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Raven lead Vane?
2. Where does Raven say the skeletons are?
3. Where does Vane move while watching the battle?
4. What does Vane want the woman to know?
5. Why is Vane being watched?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vane meet Cat-Woman and how does he feel about her?
2. Why does Vane decide to go on his own to Raven's world and what sort of reception does he get from Raven?
3. Why does Vane follow the woman?
4. Why isn't Raven very accommodating to Vane?
5. To where does Mr. Vane follow the figure who appears and disappears?
6. What does Raven give Vane to follow and what happens to the guide?
7. Describe the skeleton couple Vane meets.
8. What does Mr. Vane ask of the raven and how does the raven respond?
9. How does Vane interact with the white Leopardess?
10. Describe the battle Vane witness when he wakes after falling asleep in the forest.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of "universal salvation" as it occurs in LILITH. What does this term mean in context of Christianity? How is it expressed in Lilith? Is this concept part of the fundamental precepts of most Christian sects? Why or why not?
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of greed as it occurs in LILITH. What characters are greedy? Why? Is Vane greedy when he reaches out to grasp the beautiful creature he sees (Chapter 7, p. 47). Who is able to let go of greed? How do they do so? Does anyone refuse to transform his/her greed? Who? Why?
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze the juxtaposing of beauty with evil. How are the two concepts related? What characters are beautiful? Is beauty only physical? What characters are beautiful on the outside but evil on the inside? Is the internal evil transformed to match the external beauty? With whom? How?
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow is two-dimensional, opaque , absorbing its own shadow, and invariably accompanied by an enormous white female leopard. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the appearance of the character "The Shadow." Is he/she/it "real"? Why do you think is is usually accompanied by the white female leopard? Do you think this implies that the Shadow is male energy?
2. There is a concept that everyone has a "shadow" side. Trace and analyze this concept as it occurs in LILITH. Does every in the book seem to have a shadow side? If their shadow side seems predominant (such as Lilith or the Giants) do they have a "light" side? Do the Little Ones have a shadow side? What about Adam? Eve? Are the Giants the shadow side of something/someone else? Who?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Lilith, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Do you think it is harder to identify the plot in a fantasy novel than some others? Why or why not?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
4. The sub-title of the book Lilth is "A Romance." What is the plot that deals with a romance? Discuss the story as a "romance" and how it is structured.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)