|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are new Little Ones found?
2. What kind of flower does Raven show Vane?
3. What does Vane see when he creeps back into Bulika that night?
4. What is Mr. Vane doing at the opening of the book?
5. What does the woman catch biting Vane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vane continue to try to resurrect the fresh corpse of the woman?
2. Why does the Princess of Bulika kill babies?
3. What does Raven give Vane to follow and what happens to the guide?
4. What happens after Vane eats a tiny apple?
5. Who is the "Fugitive Mother" and what is her connection to Vane?
6. Why does Vane follow the woman?
7. Why do the Little Ones weep and why does Vane worry about his interaction with them?
8. What does Raven say about prayers to Vane?
9. Briefly describe the legend that Mr. Vane learns from his butler.
10. What comforts Vane about his father and what does Vane postulate about his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of major woman characters in LILITH. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lilith to Eve. How are they alike? How are they different? Who seems more authentic? Who seems wiser? Stronger? More likable?
2. Compare/contrast the two personalities of the woman first called "Cat-Woman" and then later she calls herself Mara.
3. Discuss how you think MacDonald views women from how he portrays them in LILITH. Does he see them as one-dimensional? Complex? Either good or evil (nothing in between). As equal to men? Superior or inferior to men?
Essay Topic 2
She calls the Little Ones "careless little Lovers" who do not know their own names. When Vane wonders about his own true name, she declares that this is unimportant. In many cultures, names are considered sacred and one who knows someone else's "true" name has power over that person. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the concept of names in Lilith. Does a person have more than one name? Why or why not? How is a true name given? Why use more than one name?
2. How does Vane's relationship change to others as he learns their names? (For example, when he figures out that Raven is actually Adam from the creation story in Genesis.)
3. Do you think Lilith's name changes as she finally agrees to sleep (true death)? Why or why not.
4. Why do you think the Little Ones do not know their own names? Why does Lona know her name? What do you think will change about the Little Ones as they (if they) learn their names?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss LILITH based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Lilith is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that LILITH is written in the 19th century changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)