Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does the woman think she has been?
2. What happens to the worms that the Raven tosses in the air?
3. Where is Vane's grandfather?
4. What is the man in the mirror doing?
5. How will Vane learn to recognize the flower?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vane meet Cat-Woman and how does he feel about her?
2. What happens when Vane catches up to the woman?
3. What happens after Vane eats a tiny apple?
4. Why isn't Raven very accommodating to Vane?
5. What does Mr. Vane ask of the raven and how does the raven respond?
6. Describe the Fugitive Mother, who is the one who pushes for an attack on the city.
7. What does Vane do that is an "awful duty"?
8. What happens to the baby that the "fugitive mother" was carrying?
9. How are the sleepers described?
10. What does Raven say every human being has within?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of major woman characters in LILITH. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Lilith to Eve. How are they alike? How are they different? Who seems more authentic? Who seems wiser? Stronger? More likable?
2. Compare/contrast the two personalities of the woman first called "Cat-Woman" and then later she calls herself Mara.
3. Discuss how you think MacDonald views women from how he portrays them in LILITH. Does he see them as one-dimensional? Complex? Either good or evil (nothing in between). As equal to men? Superior or inferior to men?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of places where Mr. Vane expresses his loneliness and even suggests that being close to an animal would be better than nothing. It is human companionship that he seems to yearn for above all else. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the concept of loneliness throughout Lilith. Who seems lonely? Why are they lonely? Do they recognize the situation? What do they do to remedy their loneliness?
2. Is loneliness always a negative thing? What can be learned from loneliness? When does loneliness go from being a positive learning experience to an unhealthy situation? Discuss these question with both examples from the text and in your own experience.
3. Medical and scientific studies have suggested that people who live alone with no family, few friends and no pets tend to die sooner than those with some connections. Even people who are isolated but have a pet(s) seem to live longer than the completely alone. Research the topic, write a synopsis of your research and relate it to Lilith.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Vane. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? How do you think his time in the other world influences who he is in the "real" world? Or does it?
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Mr. Raven/Adam. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise?
3. Why do you think there are more well-developed female characters than male characters? Discuss fully with examples.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)