|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the woman think Vane has shamed her?
2. What is the name of Mr. Vane's household ghost?
3. Who is Astarte?
4. What is Mr. Vane doing at the opening of the book?
5. What does Vane see when he creeps back into Bulika that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Raven say about prayers to Vane?
2. What does Raven call the place where Mr. Vane is and what odd things are there?
3. What does Raven say every human being has within?
4. How are the sleepers described?
5. What does Cat-Woman say about the Giant Queen myth?
6. How does Raven explain the sleepers?
7. Why isn't Raven very accommodating to Vane?
8. Describe Vane's encounter with a frightened woman in Bulika.
9. Briefly describe the legend that Mr. Vane learns from his butler.
10. What does Vane do at Cat-Woman's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of "universal salvation" as it occurs in LILITH. What does this term mean in context of Christianity? How is it expressed in Lilith? Is this concept part of the fundamental precepts of most Christian sects? Why or why not?
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of greed as it occurs in LILITH. What characters are greedy? Why? Is Vane greedy when he reaches out to grasp the beautiful creature he sees (Chapter 7, p. 47). Who is able to let go of greed? How do they do so? Does anyone refuse to transform his/her greed? Who? Why?
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze the juxtaposing of beauty with evil. How are the two concepts related? What characters are beautiful? Is beauty only physical? What characters are beautiful on the outside but evil on the inside? Is the internal evil transformed to match the external beauty? With whom? How?
Essay Topic 2
The Shadow is two-dimensional, opaque , absorbing its own shadow, and invariably accompanied by an enormous white female leopard. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the appearance of the character "The Shadow." Is he/she/it "real"? Why do you think is is usually accompanied by the white female leopard? Do you think this implies that the Shadow is male energy?
2. There is a concept that everyone has a "shadow" side. Trace and analyze this concept as it occurs in LILITH. Does every in the book seem to have a shadow side? If their shadow side seems predominant (such as Lilith or the Giants) do they have a "light" side? Do the Little Ones have a shadow side? What about Adam? Eve? Are the Giants the shadow side of something/someone else? Who?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 1, "The Library," establishes that young Mr. Vane, an orphan and recent Oxford graduate, has an interest in the metaphysical. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term "metaphysical."
2. Discuss what elements of the metaphysical appear in Lilith, e. g.: What elements of Lilith seem outside the five senses? Give examples. What things that happen cannot be proved by normal scientific methods?
3. What challenges are there in reading a novel that is based in metaphysics?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)