Chapter 1, "The Library," establishes that young Mr. Vane, an orphan and recent Oxford graduate, has an interest in the metaphysical. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term "metaphysical."
2. Discuss what elements of the metaphysical appear in Lilith, e. g.: What elements of Lilith seem outside the five senses? Give examples. What things that happen cannot be proved by normal scientific methods?
3. What challenges are there in reading a novel that is based in metaphysics?
Obviously, much of Lilith is grounded in Judeo-Christian traditions and writings. Discuss one the following:
1. Discuss five images that arise out of the Torah/Old Testament. What does each image mean in the Torah/Old Testament? How is the meaning of the image similar in Lilith as in the Torah/Old Testament? How is the meaning different?
2. Discuss five images that arise out of the Christian text called The New Testament. What does each image...
This section contains 2,550 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)