* Chapter 1 opens with Mr. Vane, an orphan and recent Oxford graduate, reading in the library.
* Vane sees a figure select a book and then vanish.
* Vane learns from his butler about the legend of Sir Upward and a ghost librarian, Mr. Raven.
* Chapter 2: Vane follows the vanishing figure to the garret and through a mirror.
* Chapter 3: Vane asks the raven for help in understanding his situation but is told much he doesn't understand.
* Vane thinks he may have died and starts walking to a pine wood where he reaches for something shiny.
* Vane is shocked and wakes up in the garret, determined to sell the house.
* Raven appears and gives Vane some esoteric information about things occupying the same place and time.
* If Vane wants to go home, he must find his own way.
* Vane commits himself to an adventure, sure he will be taken care...
This section contains 1,787 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)