|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 16 is told from the point of view of Jamie and ______.
2. When Lila goes to pay for her bill at the restaurant, she realizes that her wallet and her _____ have been stolen from her purse.
3. Where does Phaedrus believe the idea that the intellect reigns supreme over societal needs will lead the human race?
4. What is Phaedrus' destination in Chapter 17?
5. How does Jamie react to Lila's offer to bring him on board as a crew member?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Victorian mindset leave society unprepared to deal with the realities of World War I?
2. What sort of thoughts occur to Lila as she wanders the streets in Chapter 23 before she loses touch with reality?
3. Describe Jamie and Fatso.
4. What does Phaedrus deduce about Lila from his meeting with her friends?
5. How is Lila driven by her delusions in Chapter 23?
6. What ideas does Phaedrus develop about Victorian beliefs in Chapter 21?
7. How did intellect begin to replace societal concerns after World War I?
8. What does Lila offer to Jamie and how do both he and Phaedrus react?
9. What does Lila discover when she goes to pay for her bill at the restaurant?
10. How does Phaedrus connect the Zen concept of hell to celebrity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the many roles New York City plays in this book, in terms of setting, metaphors, and symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
When one cannot be the same person they were earlier and they find themselves being defined by the perceptions of others, what happens to that person's identity within their society? Discuss this question in relation to both Phaedrus and Lila.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss society versus intellect.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)