|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Phaedrus leave the bar in Chapter 16?
2. What school did Phaedrus attend as a boy?
3. How does Lila feel about Phaedrus after meeting with Jamie and Fatso?
4. What does Phaedrus regard as being the term that encompasses the conflict between social and intellectual patterns?
5. For what reasons does this actor come to see Phaedrus in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phaedrus connect the Zen concept of hell to celebrity?
2. Describe Jamie and Fatso.
3. Describe Phaedrus's analogy of New York City to a giant.
4. How did the Victorian mindset leave society unprepared to deal with the realities of World War I?
5. How does Phaedrus's musings on the Victorians bring him back to his initial ideas on the American Indians?
6. What sort of thoughts occur to Lila as she wanders the streets in Chapter 23 before she loses touch with reality?
7. How does war factor into the Victorian beliefs?
8. What are the two different cultural evaluations of Phaedrus?
9. What role does Robert Redford play in this book?
10. What does Phaedrus deduce about Lila from his meeting with her friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the concepts of both isolation and escape (as well as their connections to each other) in "Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals."
Essay Topic 2
When one cannot be the same person they were earlier and they find themselves being defined by the perceptions of others, what happens to that person's identity within their society? Discuss this question in relation to both Phaedrus and Lila.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the implications of Phaedrus being a thinly-veiled Pirgis, as well as the book's status as being fictional.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)