|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Phaedrus, the Zen definition of ____ is to see life everywhere but to be unable to participate.
2. What flashback does Lila experience when she hallucinates seeing her childhood dog?
3. Who does Lila believe stole her wallet and other items from her purse?
4. What weapon is particularly mentioned in Chapter 22 as helping to have changed the world's outlook on war?
5. What does Phaedrus regard as being the term that encompasses the conflict between social and intellectual patterns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does war factor into the Victorian beliefs?
2. What sort of thoughts occur to Lila as she wanders the streets in Chapter 23 before she loses touch with reality?
3. How does Phaedrus connect the Zen concept of hell to celebrity?
4. Why does Lila leave the name of the boat with the waiter and what does this imply about her plans?
5. What does Lila offer to Jamie and how do both he and Phaedrus react?
6. Describe Jamie and Fatso.
7. How does Phaedrus's musings on the Victorians bring him back to his initial ideas on the American Indians?
8. What are the two different cultural evaluations of Phaedrus?
9. Describe Phaedrus's analogy of New York City to a giant.
10. What does Lila discover when she goes to pay for her bill at the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the culture of celebrity and explain, in detail, why this led Phaedrus to reject a possible film adaptation of his book.
Essay Topic 2
Create a detailed character analysis of Phaedrus in regards to his love for sailing.
Essay Topic 3
Use the Metaphysics of Quality to describe the mysterious bonds between Rigel and Lila.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)