|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phaedrus begins to regret his decision to give the film rights over to the actor when he remembers what his attorney told him: "If you love your book, don't sell it to _________."
2. What is Lila's destination in the beginning of Chapter 23?
3. Where does Phaedrus believe the idea that the intellect reigns supreme over societal needs will lead the human race?
4. For what reasons does this actor come to see Phaedrus in Chapter 19?
5. What area of science will likely be the one that helps scientifically govern society, according to Phaedrus's theory in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Victorian mindset leave society unprepared to deal with the realities of World War I?
2. What are the two different cultural evaluations of Phaedrus?
3. How is Lila driven by her delusions in Chapter 23?
4. How does Phaedrus's musings on the Victorians bring him back to his initial ideas on the American Indians?
5. What is Lila's motivation in asking Jamie to join her and Phaedrus?
6. How did intellect begin to replace societal concerns after World War I?
7. How does Phaedrus connect the Zen concept of hell to celebrity?
8. What ideas does Phaedrus develop about Victorian beliefs in Chapter 21?
9. Why does Lila decide she needs to leave Phaedrus?
10. What are Phaedrus's thoughts on the static and dynamic patterns of New York City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Phaedrus and Lila using his ideas on static versus dynamic patterns.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea that "good" is actually a noun and how it is the root of the Metaphysics of Quality.
Essay Topic 3
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)