|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what were the Victorians apparently ignorant during the onset of World War I?
2. What does Phaedrus believe to be the last static social pattern in history?
3. What Quality does Phaedrus believe is beyond Lila in Chapter 17?
4. What school did Phaedrus attend as a boy?
5. Where is Lila in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lila driven by her delusions in Chapter 23?
2. What is Lila's motivation in asking Jamie to join her and Phaedrus?
3. What role does Robert Redford play in this book?
4. What ideas does Phaedrus develop about Victorian beliefs in Chapter 21?
5. How did intellect begin to replace societal concerns after World War I?
6. How does war factor into the Victorian beliefs?
7. How does Phaedrus connect the Zen concept of hell to celebrity?
8. What does Lila discover when she goes to pay for her bill at the restaurant?
9. What are Phaedrus's thoughts on the static and dynamic patterns of New York City?
10. Describe Phaedrus's analogy of New York City to a giant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When one cannot be the same person they were earlier and they find themselves being defined by the perceptions of others, what happens to that person's identity within their society? Discuss this question in relation to both Phaedrus and Lila.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss sanity versus insanity in the Metaphysics of Quality.
Essay Topic 3
Using Phaedrus's theories, discuss the rebellions against the static patterns of society in the twentieth century.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)