|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Phaedrus cite as the reason nobody uses "value" as a quantifiable scientific concept?
2. To what ceremony does Phaedrus accompany Dusenberry in Chapter 3?
3. At what college is Verne Dusenberry an associate professor?
4. In Chapter 11, why does Phaedrus find it impossible to argue with Lila?
5. Upon what basis must morals be analyzed in order to glean the greatest precision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the differences between static good and dynamic good.
2. What is the Metaphysics of Quality?
3. What are Phaedrus's ideas on the American Indian as the basis of American culture?
4. In Chapter 8, what are some of the faults Phaedrus details with science?
5. What is evolutionary morality?
6. What does Phaedrus mean when he discusses Rigel in relation to his "Victorian" virtue?
7. Describe the life of the Zuni Indian discussed in Ruth Benedict's "Patterns of Culture."
8. What are the static patterns of value?
9. Why is Phaedrus the only one to consider anthropology in terms of "values"?
10. What problems does Rigel have with Phaedrus's first book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Phaedrus's theories, discuss Lila's mental breakdown in-depth.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss society versus intellect.
Essay Topic 3
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)