|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many slips does Phaedrus have on the tray in his boat in Chapter 2?
2. What is the name of the disgraced genius who Phaedrus discovers shared his ideas on the role of American Indians to the American lifestyle?
3. Although Phaedrus decides that Lila has biological quality, what does she seem to lack?
4. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Phaedrus return to as the basis of his anthropological beliefs?
5. To what does Phaedrus compare creating a "metaphysics" in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boas have to do with Phaedrus's new project?
2. What does Phaedrus mean when he discusses Rigel in relation to his "Victorian" virtue?
3. What are the static patterns of value?
4. What do Lila and Phaedrus talk about during dinner in Chapter 14 and what do the readers learn about them?
5. What are Phaedrus's thoughts on the current century in Chapter 13?
6. Discuss the differences between static good and dynamic good.
7. What is the Metaphysics of Quality?
8. Describe the life of the Zuni Indian discussed in Ruth Benedict's "Patterns of Culture."
9. What problems does Rigel have with Phaedrus's first book?
10. What are the "slips" on Phaedrus's boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Phaedrus's theories, discuss the rebellions against the static patterns of society in the twentieth century.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the culture of celebrity and explain, in detail, why this led Phaedrus to reject a possible film adaptation of his book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the influence of Victorian values versus the influence of the American Indians in society.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)