|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "_____ is the primary empirical reality of the world."
2. When discussing "Patterns of Culture," how was the outcast Zuni labeled by his people?
3. At what age did Lila have a child?
4. Although Phaedrus decides that Lila has biological quality, what does she seem to lack?
5. According to the Metaphysics of Quality, what theory is used in conjunction with the idea of life generally having a purpose in regards to Phaedrus' ideas on static versus dynamic Quality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boas have to do with Phaedrus's new project?
2. What are Phaedrus's thoughts on the current century in Chapter 13?
3. What leads up to Lila's psychotic breakdown in Chapter 10?
4. Describe the life of the Zuni Indian discussed in Ruth Benedict's "Patterns of Culture."
5. How did Lila end up on Phaedrus's boat?
6. What problems does Rigel have with Phaedrus's first book?
7. What is evolutionary morality?
8. What are Phaedrus's ideas on the American Indian as the basis of American culture?
9. In Chapter 8, what are some of the faults Phaedrus details with science?
10. What is the Metaphysics of Quality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss society versus intellect.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of a flawed "first division" and how Phaedrus's theories are to correct it.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the culture of celebrity and explain, in detail, why this led Phaedrus to reject a possible film adaptation of his book.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)