|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedrus believe to be the long-term effect of living with views such as the ones Rigel holds in Chapter 7?
2. Why does Lila leave her boyfriend?
3. In Chapter 12, how does Phaedrus define the purpose behind everything in life?
4. Why does Lila choose to not pursue a relationship with Phaedrus?
5. Where do Lila and Phaedrus dock at the end of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the static patterns of value?
2. Describe the life of the Zuni Indian discussed in Ruth Benedict's "Patterns of Culture."
3. In Chapter 8, what are some of the faults Phaedrus details with science?
4. Why does Phaedrus disagree with Sidis's belief that abstinence was necessary for an intellectual?
5. What leads up to Lila's psychotic breakdown in Chapter 10?
6. What problems does Rigel have with Phaedrus's first book?
7. What does Phaedrus mean when he discusses Rigel in relation to his "Victorian" virtue?
8. Why is Phaedrus the only one to consider anthropology in terms of "values"?
9. Describe Dusenberry's career.
10. What is the Metaphysics of Quality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use the Metaphysics of Quality to describe the mysterious bonds between Rigel and Lila.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the static patterns of evolution in order to explain how Lila ends up in Rigel's care at the end of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss sanity versus insanity in the Metaphysics of Quality.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)