|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the different cultural evaluations of Phaedrus that he ponders after his meeting with the actor?
(a) Sexual and intellectual.
(b) Celebrity and ground-level.
(c) Mental and physical.
(d) Spiritual and physical.
2. To what does Phaedrus compare the underground manholes of his current location in Chapter 17?
3. What is Phaedrus' destination in Chapter 17?
(a) Another bar.
(b) His hotel room.
(c) His publisher's office.
(d) His boat.
4. When Lila goes to pay for her bill at the restaurant, she realizes that her wallet and her _____ have been stolen from her purse.
5. Where is Lila in Chapter 23?
(a) The bar.
(b) Phaedrus's publisher's office.
(c) The streets.
(d) The hotel room.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lila panics over the missing items in her purse, what information is revealed about her past in Chapter 18?
2. For what reasons did Phaedrus believe that the Victorians were directly responsible for the roaring 20s?
3. According to Phaedrus's reckoning in Chapter 17, what will the city (which is his current location) eventually do to the people that live there?
4. What appears to be behind Lila's offer to Jamie?
5. What is Lila's nickname for Phaedrus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Robert Redford play in this book?
2. Why does Lila leave the name of the boat with the waiter and what does this imply about her plans?
3. What are Phaedrus's thoughts on the static and dynamic patterns of New York City?
4. How does war factor into the Victorian beliefs?
5. Describe Phaedrus's analogy of New York City to a giant.
6. Why does Lila decide she needs to leave Phaedrus?
7. What does Phaedrus deduce about Lila from his meeting with her friends?
8. What are the two different cultural evaluations of Phaedrus?
9. Why does Lila stop at the restaurant in Chapter 18?
10. What ideas does Phaedrus develop about Victorian beliefs in Chapter 21?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)