|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the hallucination of Lila's dog lead her at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) The bar.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The boat.
(d) The police station.
2. Which of the following is not one of the perceptions Phaedrus believes people such as Lila, Rigel, and the famous actor have of him?
(c) Moral degenerate.
(d) Romantic partner.
3. What is Lila's destination in the beginning of Chapter 23?
(a) The boat.
(b) Her apartment.
(c) Phaedrus's hotel room.
(d) Jamie's house.
4. To what does Lila physically compare herself in Chapter 23?
(a) An addict.
(b) A Halloween witch.
(c) A grandmother.
(d) A troll.
5. To what does Phaedrus compare the Giant of his city analogy in Chapter 17?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Phaedrus, the Victorians believe that the patterns of society will always dominate the patterns of _______.
2. According to Phaedrus's reckoning in Chapter 17, what will the city (which is his current location) eventually do to the people that live there?
3. Why does Phaedrus leave the bar in Chapter 16?
4. If Phaedrus allows his book to be made into a movie, what will be lost to the social pattern of values which will undoubtedly become the focus of the film?
5. What does Phaedrus believe to be the last static social pattern in history?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lila decide she needs to leave Phaedrus?
2. How did intellect begin to replace societal concerns after World War I?
3. Why does Lila stop at the restaurant in Chapter 18?
4. Describe Jamie and Fatso.
5. What does Lila discover when she goes to pay for her bill at the restaurant?
6. How did the Victorian mindset leave society unprepared to deal with the realities of World War I?
7. Why does Lila leave the name of the boat with the waiter and what does this imply about her plans?
8. What role does Robert Redford play in this book?
9. How does Phaedrus connect the Zen concept of hell to celebrity?
10. What does Phaedrus deduce about Lila from his meeting with her friends?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)