|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jamie suspicious of Lila's offer in Chapter 16?
(a) He knows Lila is in love with him.
(b) He believes Phaedrus is actually smuggling drugs.
(c) He knows she is trying to pull a scam.
(d) He does not trust Phaedrus to not rob him.
2. What city does Phaedrus believe to be the most dynamic on earth?
(b) New York City.
3. What city does Phaedrus compare to a giant?
(c) New York City.
4. Why does Phaedrus consider himself to part of the hulking "Giant" from Chapter 17?
(a) His publisher lives in that city.
(b) His books are popular in that city.
(c) He supports that city politically.
(d) He vacations frequently in that city.
5. What is Lila's destination in the beginning of Chapter 23?
(a) Jamie's house.
(b) Her apartment.
(c) Phaedrus's hotel room.
(d) The boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lila's childhood dog?
2. Where does the hallucination of Lila's dog lead her at the end of Chapter 23?
3. What does Lila pull from the water at the end of Chapter 23?
4. For what reasons does Phaedrus initially grant the film rights to the actor in Chapter 19?
5. What Hollywood actor comes to see Phaedrus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phaedrus's musings on the Victorians bring him back to his initial ideas on the American Indians?
2. What are Phaedrus's thoughts on the static and dynamic patterns of New York City?
3. Why does Lila stop at the restaurant in Chapter 18?
4. Why does Lila leave the name of the boat with the waiter and what does this imply about her plans?
5. How does war factor into the Victorian beliefs?
6. How does Phaedrus connect the Zen concept of hell to celebrity?
7. How did the Victorian mindset leave society unprepared to deal with the realities of World War I?
8. How did intellect begin to replace societal concerns after World War I?
9. Why does Lila decide she needs to leave Phaedrus?
10. What does Phaedrus deduce about Lila from his meeting with her friends?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)