|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Quality does Phaedrus believe is beyond Lila in Chapter 17?
2. What city does Phaedrus believe to be the most dynamic on earth?
(d) New York City.
3. Through the study of what group of people does Phaedrus hope to understand the scientific concerns and patterns that will help society sustain itself while still evolving?
(a) The Germans.
(d) American Indians.
4. When considering the surviving veterans of World War I, what about their attitude altered the social landscape after the war?
(a) Their heroism.
(b) Their scarcity.
(c) Their isolation.
(d) Their bitterness.
5. What does Lila pull from the water at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) A doll.
(b) A length of chain.
(c) A bottle with a message.
(d) A photograph.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedrus believe to be the last static social pattern in history?
2. To what does Phaedrus compare the Giant of his city analogy in Chapter 17?
3. From whose point-of-view is Chapter 18 told?
4. What fault does Phaedrus find with the Victorian concept of morals?
5. What is the name of Lila's childhood dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lila driven by her delusions in Chapter 23?
2. What role does Robert Redford play in this book?
3. What are Phaedrus's thoughts on the static and dynamic patterns of New York City?
4. Why does Lila leave the name of the boat with the waiter and what does this imply about her plans?
5. Describe Phaedrus's analogy of New York City to a giant.
6. What ideas does Phaedrus develop about Victorian beliefs in Chapter 21?
7. How does Phaedrus connect the Zen concept of hell to celebrity?
8. How does war factor into the Victorian beliefs?
9. What is Lila's motivation in asking Jamie to join her and Phaedrus?
10. What does Phaedrus deduce about Lila from his meeting with her friends?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)