|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Lila have a child?
2. Although "static good" is the opposite of "dynamic good," static must exist or else the dynamic would turn into ____.
3. What animal does Phaedrus use as an example of the limitations of the long-held standards of science in Chapter 8?
(a) The horse.
(b) The kangaroo.
(c) The dinosaur.
(d) The platypus.
4. Why does Phaedrus believe his "Metaphysics of Quality" is a more accurate viewpoint of the world?
(a) It is more understandable to the average person.
(b) It is less decisive.
(c) It allows for everyone to bring in their own ideas.
(d) It is more inclusive.
5. What reason does Phaedrus cite as the reason nobody uses "value" as a quantifiable scientific concept?
(a) Values are impossible to count.
(b) Society does not allow for anything less than an absolute.
(c) Accuracy is completely impossible when considering how important the values would be in the scientific analysis of a population.
(d) The foundations of science would be challenged.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phaedrus refers to his ongoing project as a "Metaphysics of ______."
2. What is interesting to note about the syntax of the phrase "Metaphysics of Quality"?
3. In Chapter 11, why does Phaedrus find it impossible to argue with Lila?
4. Who does Phaedrus believe to be the originator of the American lifestyle?
5. Why is Lila angry with Phaedrus in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Rigel have with Phaedrus's first book?
2. In Chapter 8, what are some of the faults Phaedrus details with science?
3. What are Phaedrus's ideas on the American Indian as the basis of American culture?
4. Discuss the differences between static good and dynamic good.
5. What are the "slips" on Phaedrus's boat?
6. What leads up to Lila's psychotic breakdown in Chapter 10?
7. What does Boas have to do with Phaedrus's new project?
8. What are the static patterns of value?
9. How did Lila end up on Phaedrus's boat?
10. What is Phaedrus's early analysis of Lila in Chapter 11?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)