|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dynamic quality causes an organism to grow, though without the _____, it will not be able to survive or last.
(a) Theories of evolution.
(b) Existentialist ideals.
(c) Static qualities.
(d) Spiritual reckoning.
2. Who believed that abstinence was necessary for intellectual pursuits?
(a) William James Sidis.
(b) Vernon Dusenberry.
(c) Richard Rigel.
(d) Franz Boas.
3. What is the name of the disgraced genius who Phaedrus discovers shared his ideas on the role of American Indians to the American lifestyle?
(a) James Holden.
(b) Franz Boas.
(c) Verne Dusenberry.
(d) William James Sidis.
4. By Phaedrus's reasoning in Chapter 15, in condemning ______, static biological antagonism is condemned to intellectual quality only.
(a) Physical fitness.
5. Which of the following is not one of the static patterns of value?
(a) Spiritual patterns.
(b) Intellectual patterns.
(c) Social patterns.
(d) Biological patterns.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, how does Phaedrus define the purpose behind everything in life?
2. Why are values not considered to be a proper platform for a scientific analysis?
3. Although "static good" is the opposite of "dynamic good," static must exist or else the dynamic would turn into ____.
4. Why does Phaedrus believe his book will be derided by the anthropology community?
5. According to the Metaphysics of Quality, what theory is used in conjunction with the idea of life generally having a purpose in regards to Phaedrus' ideas on static versus dynamic Quality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the static patterns of value?
2. Why does Phaedrus disagree with Sidis's belief that abstinence was necessary for an intellectual?
3. Describe the life of the Zuni Indian discussed in Ruth Benedict's "Patterns of Culture."
4. What are Phaedrus's ideas on the American Indian as the basis of American culture?
5. Describe Dusenberry's career.
6. Discuss the differences between static good and dynamic good.
7. What is Phaedrus's early analysis of Lila in Chapter 11?
8. What problems does Rigel have with Phaedrus's first book?
9. What does Boas have to do with Phaedrus's new project?
10. How did Lila end up on Phaedrus's boat?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)