|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phaedrus regard as being the term that encompasses the conflict between social and intellectual patterns?
2. What are the different cultural evaluations of Phaedrus that he ponders after his meeting with the actor?
(a) Mental and physical.
(b) Spiritual and physical.
(c) Sexual and intellectual.
(d) Celebrity and ground-level.
3. What is Phaedrus' destination in Chapter 17?
(a) His publisher's office.
(b) His boat.
(c) Another bar.
(d) His hotel room.
4. What appears to be behind Lila's offer to Jamie?
(a) Lila wants to betray Phaedrus.
(b) Lila thinks Jamie will help Phaedrus with his book.
(c) Lila is afraid of Phaedrus and wants Jamie around for protection.
(d) Lila wants to marry Jamie.
5. Why is subject-object science unable to deal with morals?
(a) They are not scientifically possible.
(b) They are a man-made construct.
(c) They are not factual.
(d) They are too easily faked.
6. From whose point-of-view is Chapter 18 told?
7. What is Lila's nickname for Phaedrus?
(a) The Captain.
(b) The Scholar.
(c) The Librarian.
(d) The Sailor.
8. Why is Jamie suspicious of Lila's offer in Chapter 16?
(a) He knows she is trying to pull a scam.
(b) He believes Phaedrus is actually smuggling drugs.
(c) He knows Lila is in love with him.
(d) He does not trust Phaedrus to not rob him.
9. What weapon is particularly mentioned in Chapter 22 as helping to have changed the world's outlook on war?
(b) Nuclear weapons.
(c) Gatling gun.
(d) Atom bomb.
10. Of what were the Victorians apparently ignorant during the onset of World War I?
(a) Their government would not protect them.
(b) Their sons were being sent off to die.
(c) They were the invading army.
(d) Their armies were poorly equipped.
11. What city does Phaedrus compare to a giant?
(a) New York City.
12. When Lila goes to pay for her bill at the restaurant, she realizes that her wallet and her _____ have been stolen from her purse.
13. What war ostensibly marked the end of Victorian values?
(a) Korean War.
(b) Vietnam War.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
14. What city does Phaedrus believe to be the most dynamic on earth?
(d) New York City.
15. What does Lila pull from the water at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) A doll.
(b) A bottle with a message.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A length of chain.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reasons does Phaedrus initially grant the film rights to the actor in Chapter 19?
2. Where is Lila in Chapter 23?
3. What were Phaedrus's headmaster's thoughts on the concepts of grace and morals?
4. For what reasons does this actor come to see Phaedrus in Chapter 19?
5. In the pursuit of discovering what is right and wrong, what could no longer be blindly trusted in the early days after World War II?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)