|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whose point-of-view is Chapter 23 told?
(c) Omniscient narrator.
2. Why is Jamie suspicious of Lila's offer in Chapter 16?
(a) He knows she is trying to pull a scam.
(b) He knows Lila is in love with him.
(c) He does not trust Phaedrus to not rob him.
(d) He believes Phaedrus is actually smuggling drugs.
3. What Hollywood actor comes to see Phaedrus?
(a) Paul Newman.
(b) Robert Redford.
(c) Clint Eastwood.
(d) Peter O'Toole.
4. Of what were the Victorians apparently ignorant during the onset of World War I?
(a) Their armies were poorly equipped.
(b) Their government would not protect them.
(c) Their sons were being sent off to die.
(d) They were the invading army.
5. To what does Phaedrus compare the Giant of his city analogy in Chapter 17?
6. Who does Lila believe stole her wallet and other items from her purse?
(a) She thinks she must have lost them herself.
7. If Phaedrus allows his book to be made into a movie, what will be lost to the social pattern of values which will undoubtedly become the focus of the film?
(a) Anthropological connections.
(b) Intellectual patterns.
(c) Dynamic quality.
(d) Static quality.
8. How does Lila feel about Phaedrus after meeting with Jamie and Fatso?
(a) She is worried about him.
(b) She is angry at him.
(c) She feels guilty that she angered him.
(d) She feels sorry for him.
9. What replaced social snobbery after World War I?
10. Through the study of what group of people does Phaedrus hope to understand the scientific concerns and patterns that will help society sustain itself while still evolving?
(b) American Indians.
(c) The Germans.
11. Where is Lila in Chapter 23?
(a) The hotel room.
(b) The bar.
(c) The streets.
(d) Phaedrus's publisher's office.
12. What is Lila's nickname for Phaedrus?
(a) The Sailor.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The Librarian.
(d) The Scholar.
13. What are the different cultural evaluations of Phaedrus that he ponders after his meeting with the actor?
(a) Sexual and intellectual.
(b) Celebrity and ground-level.
(c) Spiritual and physical.
(d) Mental and physical.
14. When Lila panics over the missing items in her purse, what information is revealed about her past in Chapter 18?
(a) She had once been arrested.
(b) Jamie is her ex-husband.
(c) She never had a daughter, as she told Phaedrus.
(d) She was once in a hospital, presumably a mental one.
15. What does Lila pull from the water at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) A length of chain.
(b) A photograph.
(c) A bottle with a message.
(d) A doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fault does Phaedrus find with the Victorian concept of morals?
2. Chapter 16 is told from the point of view of Jamie and ______.
3. What weapon is particularly mentioned in Chapter 22 as helping to have changed the world's outlook on war?
4. Which of the following relationships did not appear to be the most pertinent to Lila from her childhood?
5. What city does Phaedrus compare to a giant?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)