|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what does Phaedrus believe was the view of battle before World War I?
2. What does Lila leave with the waiter when she is unable to pay her bill?
(a) The hotel in which Phaedrus is staying.
(b) Phaedrus's name.
(c) Phaedrus's publisher's address and phone number.
(d) The location and name of the boat.
3. How does Jamie react to Lila's offer to bring him on board as a crew member?
(b) He finds it humorous.
4. Why is Jamie suspicious of Lila's offer in Chapter 16?
(a) He knows Lila is in love with him.
(b) He does not trust Phaedrus to not rob him.
(c) He believes Phaedrus is actually smuggling drugs.
(d) He knows she is trying to pull a scam.
5. Where does Phaedrus believe the idea that the intellect reigns supreme over societal needs will lead the human race?
(c) Moral corruption.
6. From whose point-of-view is Chapter 18 told?
7. What city does Phaedrus compare to a giant?
(c) New York City.
8. What appears to be behind Lila's offer to Jamie?
(a) Lila wants to betray Phaedrus.
(b) Lila wants to marry Jamie.
(c) Lila thinks Jamie will help Phaedrus with his book.
(d) Lila is afraid of Phaedrus and wants Jamie around for protection.
9. Which of the following relationships did not appear to be the most pertinent to Lila from her childhood?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandfather.
10. When Lila panics over the missing items in her purse, what information is revealed about her past in Chapter 18?
(a) She never had a daughter, as she told Phaedrus.
(b) She had once been arrested.
(c) She was once in a hospital, presumably a mental one.
(d) Jamie is her ex-husband.
11. What fault does Phaedrus find with the Victorian concept of morals?
(a) Victorian morality was too deeply entrenched in spiritualism.
(b) It no longer fits the needs of modern society.
(c) The Victorians were highly corrupt.
(d) There is no deep intellectualism.
12. What are the different cultural evaluations of Phaedrus that he ponders after his meeting with the actor?
(a) Sexual and intellectual.
(b) Celebrity and ground-level.
(c) Spiritual and physical.
(d) Mental and physical.
13. What flashback does Lila experience when she hallucinates seeing her childhood dog?
(a) A house fire that resulted in her mother's death.
(b) Her sister going into labor.
(c) A car crash that killed someone close to her.
(d) Her grandfather's heart attack.
14. What weapon is particularly mentioned in Chapter 22 as helping to have changed the world's outlook on war?
(b) Gatling gun.
(c) Nuclear weapons.
(d) Atom bomb.
15. Through the study of what group of people does Phaedrus hope to understand the scientific concerns and patterns that will help society sustain itself while still evolving?
(c) American Indians.
(d) The Germans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the hallucination of Lila's dog lead her at the end of Chapter 23?
2. When considering the surviving veterans of World War I, what about their attitude altered the social landscape after the war?
3. What does Lila contemplate swearing off forever as she makes her way back to Phaedrus?
4. What is Lila's nickname for Phaedrus?
5. What is Lila's destination in the beginning of Chapter 23?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)