|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Phaedrus compare the Giant of his city analogy in Chapter 17?
2. Chapter 16 is told from the point of view of Jamie and ______.
3. What are the different cultural evaluations of Phaedrus that he ponders after his meeting with the actor?
(a) Spiritual and physical.
(b) Celebrity and ground-level.
(c) Sexual and intellectual.
(d) Mental and physical.
4. Why does Phaedrus consider himself to part of the hulking "Giant" from Chapter 17?
(a) His publisher lives in that city.
(b) His books are popular in that city.
(c) He vacations frequently in that city.
(d) He supports that city politically.
5. According to Phaedrus, the Victorians believe that the patterns of society will always dominate the patterns of _______.
6. According to Phaedrus, the Zen definition of ____ is to see life everywhere but to be unable to participate.
7. In Chapter 22, what does Phaedrus believe was the view of battle before World War I?
8. Through the study of what group of people does Phaedrus hope to understand the scientific concerns and patterns that will help society sustain itself while still evolving?
(a) The Germans.
(b) American Indians.
9. What area of science will likely be the one that helps scientifically govern society, according to Phaedrus's theory in Chapter 22?
10. What does Phaedrus believe to be the last static social pattern in history?
(a) The Sixties.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Fifties.
(d) The Victorian era.
11. What replaced social snobbery after World War I?
12. What is Lila's nickname for Phaedrus?
(a) The Sailor.
(b) The Scholar.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The Librarian.
13. To what does Lila physically compare herself in Chapter 23?
(a) An addict.
(b) A grandmother.
(c) A troll.
(d) A Halloween witch.
14. Where does Phaedrus believe the idea that the intellect reigns supreme over societal needs will lead the human race?
(a) Moral corruption.
15. What city does Phaedrus compare to a giant?
(b) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. When considering the surviving veterans of World War I, what about their attitude altered the social landscape after the war?
2. For what reasons does Phaedrus initially grant the film rights to the actor in Chapter 19?
3. What city does Phaedrus believe to be the most dynamic on earth?
4. What does Lila plan to be her final destination after getting a drink at the restaurant in Chapter 18?
5. From whose point-of-view is Chapter 18 told?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)