|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Chapters 24-32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Phaedrus humorously note in Chapter 12 as the reason nobody before attempted to quantify everything in value?
(a) Value is too fickle for a scientific brain.
(b) The term "value" no longer has any meaning in today's world.
(c) Values are impossible to ponder objectively.
(d) Value as a concept confuses, rather than clarifies.
2. Which of the following is not at the forefront of Lila's mind at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Her headache.
(b) Her money.
(c) Her hunger.
(d) Her mother.
3. To what does Lila physically compare herself in Chapter 23?
(a) A Halloween witch.
(b) A troll.
(c) A grandmother.
(d) An addict.
4. What war ostensibly marked the end of Victorian values?
(a) Korean War.
(b) World War II.
(c) Vietnam War.
(d) World War I.
5. How does Phaedrus propose to accurately use values in his analysis of culture?
(a) He will apply values to actual experience.
(b) He will present the values as being worthy of scientific consideration.
(c) He will simply call his work "data" instead of "values."
(d) He will present his work under an assumed name to remove any pre-existing prejudices against his project.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Phaedrus's reckoning on the nature of Rigel's approach to morality, what was the natural effect of World War I?
2. What school did Phaedrus attend as a boy?
3. What does Lila pull from the water at the end of Chapter 23?
4. According to Phaedrus's reckoning in Chapter 17, what will the city (which is his current location) eventually do to the people that live there?
5. Why does Phaedrus leave the bar in Chapter 16?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)