|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Franz Boas?
(a) Dusenberry's best friend.
(b) Anthropology professor.
(d) Lila's former lover.
2. What is one of the greatest frustrations in Lila's life, according to her musings in Chapter 10?
(a) She falls in love too easily.
(b) She has no empathy.
(c) She has given all of her money away to people who did not deserve it.
(d) She knows she has a problem, though no one will help her with it.
3. Which of the following is not one of the static patterns of value?
(a) Intellectual patterns.
(b) Spiritual patterns.
(c) Biological patterns.
(d) Social patterns.
4. What does Phaedrus believe to be the long-term effect of living with views such as the ones Rigel holds in Chapter 7?
(a) A decay in the moral fiber of society.
(b) Loss of one's identity.
(c) Living in a vacuum of morality.
5. What established law does Phaedrus cite as being an example of an evolving static pattern?
(a) Law of Logic.
(b) Law of Attraction.
(c) Law of Gravity.
(d) Law of Life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Phaedrus give to the concept that science exists merely to prove the truth?
2. When discussing "Patterns of Culture," how was the outcast Zuni labeled by his people?
3. What is interesting to note about the syntax of the phrase "Metaphysics of Quality"?
4. By Phaedrus's reasoning of dynamic morality in Chapter 13, what is more moral than society killing an idea?
5. Why does Lila leave her boyfriend?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)