|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By Phaedrus's reasoning in Chapter 15, in condemning ______, static biological antagonism is condemned to intellectual quality only.
(b) Physical fitness.
2. Upon what river does Phaedrus plan to travel by boat?
3. At what age did Lila have a child?
4. How does Phaedrus propose to accurately use values in his analysis of culture?
(a) He will present the values as being worthy of scientific consideration.
(b) He will present his work under an assumed name to remove any pre-existing prejudices against his project.
(c) He will apply values to actual experience.
(d) He will simply call his work "data" instead of "values."
5. What is the name of the disgraced genius who Phaedrus discovers shared his ideas on the role of American Indians to the American lifestyle?
(a) James Holden.
(b) Franz Boas.
(c) William James Sidis.
(d) Verne Dusenberry.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Phaedrus compare creating a "metaphysics" in Chapter 9?
2. Why does Lila leave her boyfriend?
3. Why must the "first division" be completely correct?
4. What is one of the greatest frustrations in Lila's life, according to her musings in Chapter 10?
5. What established law does Phaedrus cite as being an example of an evolving static pattern?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)