|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing "Patterns of Culture," how was the outcast Zuni labeled by his people?
(a) A priest.
(b) A witch.
(c) A psychopath.
(d) A philosopher.
2. In Chapter 12, how does Phaedrus define the purpose behind everything in life?
(a) A search for spirituality.
(b) A constant competition between elements.
(c) Ethical activities.
3. Although Phaedrus decides that Lila has biological quality, what does she seem to lack?
(a) Spiritual quality.
(b) Ethical quality.
(c) Intellectual quality.
(d) Social quality.
4. What is the importance of "dynamic good"?
(a) A culture cannot be allowed to denigrate another culture.
(b) A culture must adopt new ideals in order to continue evolving.
(c) A culture must actively fight for their traditions.
(d) A culture must be able to judge a person's values based on the traditions of their society.
5. Phaedrus refers to his ongoing project as a "Metaphysics of ______."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the greatest frustrations in Lila's life, according to her musings in Chapter 10?
2. Although "static good" is the opposite of "dynamic good," static must exist or else the dynamic would turn into ____.
3. What animal does Phaedrus use as an example of the limitations of the long-held standards of science in Chapter 8?
4. What is the name of the disgraced genius who Phaedrus discovers shared his ideas on the role of American Indians to the American lifestyle?
5. When Phaedrus first wakes up in the beginning of "Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals," what had he been doing the previous evening?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)