|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who advises Tita to follow the love in her heart?
2. Tita is cooking in the kitchen because John is coming over that night to ask her what?
3. Who does Mama Elena's ghost blame for all of the pain that has been caused in the house?
4. Who tells Tita he/she does not approve of her marrying John?
5. Who does Gertrudis come home with when she arrives back at the ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The moods of Tita can be followed easily as one looks at the way she cooks and then doesn't cook for a period when she is sad.
Part 1: Why doesn't Tita cook in order to make herself happy?
Part 2: Why is cooking the one thing Tita enjoys doing the most in the world?
Part 3: Why doesn't Tita want to cook once Pedro is gone?
Essay Topic 2
Communication happens in a variety of ways in this story - sometimes through cooking, other times through words, etc.
Part 1: What is the importance of communication in this story? What does it do for the characters?
Part 2: Which type of communication do you think is the strongest form? Why?
Part 3: With all of the different forms of communication, what kinds of problems could result for the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The metaphor of the matches is one that seems to fit Tita perfectly, as told to her by John.
Part 1: Describe the metaphor of the matches as John explains it to Tita.
Part 2: Why are matches a good way to describe the innermost feelings and emotions of a person?
Part 3: What other item might make a good metaphor for internal happiness. Why did you choose this item?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)