|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Tita does not start to behave, says Rosaura, Rosaura will ____________.
2. What happens to Mama when the rebels attack her house?
3. Pedro senses Tita's _____________ to get back down to the kitchen.
4. What happens to Chechna as she goes to talk to Mama?
5. Who arrives with a pot of ox tail soup that comforts and nourishes Tita as she recovers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mother and daughter relationship in this story is one that seems to be quite complicated.
Part 1: Why do the daughters continue to bend to Mama's needs, even if they don't agree with her?
Part 2: Why wouldn't the daughters tell Mama 'no'?
Part 3: Why didn't Mama seemingly want a healthy relationship with her daughters?
Essay Topic 2
Pedro is one of the few male characters in this story and he doesn't seem to be a very strong one.
Part 1: Why doesn't Pedro fight to be with Tita when he asks to marry her in the beginning?
Part 2: Why does Pedro go ahead with his marriage to Rosaura?
Part 3: Do you think Pedro is a coward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Food is obviously a strong part of this book and of the lives of the characters within the book.
Part 1: Why is food so important to the main family in this book?
Part 2: Why can't the characters relate without having food around?
Part 3: What might the food represent to the book as a whole?
This section contains 1,630 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)