|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end, Rosaura says that Tita cannot ______________ anymore, which causes Tita much grief.
2. How is Pedro feeling about the presence of John at the dinner table?
3. Pedro senses Tita's _____________ to get back down to the kitchen.
4. What happens to Chechna as she goes to talk to Mama?
5. Who does Gertrudis come home with when she arrives back at the ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The mother and daughter relationship in this story is one that seems to be quite complicated. Part 1: Why do the daughters continue to bend to Mama's needs, even if they don't agree with her? Part 2: Why wouldn't the daughters tell Mama 'no'? Part 3: Why didn't Mama seemingly want a healthy relationship with her daughters?
Essay Topic 2The metaphor of the matches is one that seems to fit Tita perfectly, as told to her by John. Part 1: Describe the metaphor of the matches as John explains it to Tita. Part 2: Why are matches a good way to describe the innermost feelings and emotions of a person? Part 3: What other item might make a good metaphor for internal happiness. Why did you choose this item?
Essay Topic 3Communication happens in a variety of ways in this story - sometimes through cooking, other times through words, etc. Part 1: What is the importance of communication in this story? What does it do for the characters? Part 2: Which type of communication do you think is the strongest form? Why? Part 3: With all of the different forms of communication, what kinds of problems could result for the characters?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)