|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tita wants to break the tradition her Mama started as it will affect Rosaura's ____________ if it continues.
2. What happens to Mama when the rebels attack her house?
3. What does Rosaura ask Tita for help with when she enters the kitchen?
4. Who takes advantage of Tita in the storage room, even though she surrenders to him?
5. Where does the child like to sleep when Tita is cooking?
Essay Topic 1
Pedro is one of the few male characters in this story and he doesn't seem to be a very strong one.
Part 1: Why doesn't Pedro fight to be with Tita when he asks to marry her in the beginning?
Part 2: Why does Pedro go ahead with his marriage to Rosaura?
Part 3: Do you think Pedro is a coward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Tears seem to play an important role in this story as well. They seem to creep up not only in sad times, but also in happy times as well.
Part 1: In what ways are tears healing in this story?
Part 2: in what ways are tears painful within this story?
Part 3: How can tears provide both functions? Why does Tita in particular need tears to provide both functions?
Essay Topic 3
It seems to be the ritual of the food preparation that reaches the core of Tita.
Part 1: In what ways is Tita a better person when she cooks rather than when she is not cooking?
Part 2: Describe some of the rituals that Tita employs when she cooks for the others.
Part 3: Why does Tita need to have the ritual of cooking in her life? What does it provide for her?
This section contains 1,634 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)