|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pedro accuses Tita of having second thoughts about him because he is now a _____________.
2. In the end, Tita realizes she must ___________________ with John.
3. What was the room in #130 originally used for before Tita used it for storage?
4. Tita asks Chechna to tell her Mama that she is not going to _____________.
5. What does Tita advise Rosaura to chew on before she goes to bed at night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Communication happens in a variety of ways in this story - sometimes through cooking, other times through words, etc.
Part 1: What is the importance of communication in this story? What does it do for the characters?
Part 2: Which type of communication do you think is the strongest form? Why?
Part 3: With all of the different forms of communication, what kinds of problems could result for the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Magical realism is one of the literary decides the author uses in this story, often with beautiful results in the narrative.
Part 1: Define the idea of magical realism.
Part 2: Why do you think the author chooses magical realism over typical storytelling?
Part 3: How does magical realism strengthen the story? How does it weaken it?
Essay Topic 3
Pedro is one of the few male characters in this story and he doesn't seem to be a very strong one.
Part 1: Why doesn't Pedro fight to be with Tita when he asks to marry her in the beginning?
Part 2: Why does Pedro go ahead with his marriage to Rosaura?
Part 3: Do you think Pedro is a coward? Why or why not?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)