|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gertrudis now with? This is the same man that swept her off her feet a long time ago.
2. What does Pedro want to do in response to Tita's news to him?
3. How long did it take for Rosaura to lose the baby weight she had gained?
4. What happens to Chechna as she goes to talk to Mama?
5. Where has Pedro been waiting for Tita every night since their passionate encounter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of taking care of others seems to come up quite often in this story, with many characters relying on other characters, as well as characters being the nurturers.
Part 1: How does this story define the idea of nurturing? Does this definition seem to be realistic?
Part 2: Why does Tita feel so strongly about Rosaura's son? Why is she so attentive to him?
Part 3: Do you think nurturing can ever go too far? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Food is obviously a strong part of this book and of the lives of the characters within the book.
Part 1: Why is food so important to the main family in this book?
Part 2: Why can't the characters relate without having food around?
Part 3: What might the food represent to the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
The mother and daughter relationship in this story is one that seems to be quite complicated.
Part 1: Why do the daughters continue to bend to Mama's needs, even if they don't agree with her?
Part 2: Why wouldn't the daughters tell Mama 'no'?
Part 3: Why didn't Mama seemingly want a healthy relationship with her daughters?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)