|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the groom at the wedding celebration?
2. How is Pedro feeling about the presence of John at the dinner table?
3. Who besides Tita can see Mama's ghost in the corner of the room?
4. Pedro accuses Tita of having second thoughts about him because he is now a _____________.
5. How long did it take for Rosaura to lose the baby weight she had gained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama seems to have a different way of dealing with problems than others do. She seems to be a bit of a controlling woman.
Part 1: Why does Mama not want to have anything to do with Gertrudius anymore?
Part 2: Why does Mama make Tita sit up top in the empty dovecote?
Part 3: Why might Mama feel the need to be so controlling of her own daughters?
Essay Topic 2
Magical realism is one of the literary decides the author uses in this story, often with beautiful results in the narrative.
Part 1: Define the idea of magical realism.
Part 2: Why do you think the author chooses magical realism over typical storytelling?
Part 3: How does magical realism strengthen the story? How does it weaken it?
Essay Topic 3
The mother and daughter relationship in this story is one that seems to be quite complicated.
Part 1: Why do the daughters continue to bend to Mama's needs, even if they don't agree with her?
Part 2: Why wouldn't the daughters tell Mama 'no'?
Part 3: Why didn't Mama seemingly want a healthy relationship with her daughters?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)