|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pedro's reaction to the news Gertrudis forces him to hear from Tita?
2. What are the guests filled with as they eat the food served at this wedding?
3. What signals the presence of Mama Elena's ghost in the room with Tita?
4. Who advises Tita to follow the love in her heart?
5. In the end, Tita realizes she must ___________________ with John.
Essay Topic 1
Mama seems to have a different way of dealing with problems than others do. She seems to be a bit of a controlling woman.
Part 1: Why does Mama not want to have anything to do with Gertrudius anymore?
Part 2: Why does Mama make Tita sit up top in the empty dovecote?
Part 3: Why might Mama feel the need to be so controlling of her own daughters?
Essay Topic 2
It seems to be the ritual of the food preparation that reaches the core of Tita.
Part 1: In what ways is Tita a better person when she cooks rather than when she is not cooking?
Part 2: Describe some of the rituals that Tita employs when she cooks for the others.
Part 3: Why does Tita need to have the ritual of cooking in her life? What does it provide for her?
Essay Topic 3
John's position as a doctor seems to not only be his title in the story, but also his role in Tita's life.
Part 1: Why does John decide that he wants to be with Tita?
Part 2: Why does John stand back when Tita decides she wants to be with Pedro?
Part 3: Do you think Tita should have married John? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)