|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tita wants to break the tradition her Mama started as it will affect Rosaura's ____________ if it continues.
2. What happens to Mama when the rebels attack her house?
3. What does Rosaura ask Tita for help with when she enters the kitchen?
4. Who takes advantage of Tita in the storage room, even though she surrenders to him?
5. Where does the child like to sleep when Tita is cooking?
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes within Like Water for Chocolate is the theme of duty and responsibility. Many characters feel they have certain obligations to others and they act accordingly.
Part 1: What are some of the obligations Tita has to others in this book? Cite specific examples of at least three obligations.
Part 2: Why does Mama believe others should be responsible for taking care of her?
Part 3: How do characters demonstrate their duty and their responsibility to others? How is this harmful?
Essay Topic 2
Mama seems to put Pedro and Tita into a position where they will always experience sexual and emotional tension.
Part 1: Why do you think Mama doesn't want Tita to be with Pedro, aside from her given excuse?
Part 2: Why do you think Mama puts Tita and Pedro together so often anyway, even though she knows how they feel about each other?
Part 3: Do you think mama perhaps wants the two to be together? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The moods of Tita can be followed easily as one looks at the way she cooks and then doesn't cook for a period when she is sad.
Part 1: Why doesn't Tita cook in order to make herself happy?
Part 2: Why is cooking the one thing Tita enjoys doing the most in the world?
Part 3: Why doesn't Tita want to cook once Pedro is gone?
This section contains 1,634 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)