|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Esperanza and Alex find under of foot of ashes when they return from their trip?
2. If Tita does not start to behave, says Rosaura, Rosaura will ____________.
3. Where has Pedro been waiting for Tita every night since their passionate encounter?
4. What is Pedro's reaction to the news Gertrudis forces him to hear from Tita?
5. Where does the child like to sleep when Tita is cooking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's interesting to watch the story unfold as the reader sees a group of strong women dominating the narrative. This is much different from the typical stories most of us are told.
Part 1: Why do you think the women of the family in this story are so strong? What might the reason be?
Part 2: In what ways are the women of the story strong? How do each of the family members - Mama, Tita, Gertrudius, and Rosaura each demonstrate their strength?
Part 3: How might the story have been different had the characters not been as strong?
Essay Topic 2
Magical realism is one of the literary decides the author uses in this story, often with beautiful results in the narrative.
Part 1: Define the idea of magical realism.
Part 2: Why do you think the author chooses magical realism over typical storytelling?
Part 3: How does magical realism strengthen the story? How does it weaken it?
Essay Topic 3
Tears seem to play an important role in this story as well. They seem to creep up not only in sad times, but also in happy times as well.
Part 1: In what ways are tears healing in this story?
Part 2: in what ways are tears painful within this story?
Part 3: How can tears provide both functions? Why does Tita in particular need tears to provide both functions?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)