|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pedro tell Tita he wants for their life together, which makes her cry?
2. If Tita does not start to behave, says Rosaura, Rosaura will ____________.
3. Chechna decides to tell Mama that she found Tita as a _________ and that has made Tita worry about her worth.
4. Tita worries that the accident didn't just affect Pedro's skin, but also his ___________.
5. In the end, Tita realizes she must ___________________ with John.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes within Like Water for Chocolate is the theme of duty and responsibility. Many characters feel they have certain obligations to others and they act accordingly.
Part 1: What are some of the obligations Tita has to others in this book? Cite specific examples of at least three obligations.
Part 2: Why does Mama believe others should be responsible for taking care of her?
Part 3: How do characters demonstrate their duty and their responsibility to others? How is this harmful?
Essay Topic 2
While at times, it seems some of the characters surrender to Mama, these are actually points at which the daughters are standing up to her.
Part 1: Why is Tita actually becoming saner when she has spent a night up in the dovecote?
Part 2: When Gertrudius takes off her clothes and runs, why is this not as crazy a thing as it seems? Or is it?
Part 3: In what ways does Rosaura also lose her 'sanity,' though it's actually a sign of her strength? And if this is not the case for her, what makes her different from the others?
Essay Topic 3
Magical realism is one of the literary decides the author uses in this story, often with beautiful results in the narrative.
Part 1: Define the idea of magical realism.
Part 2: Why do you think the author chooses magical realism over typical storytelling?
Part 3: How does magical realism strengthen the story? How does it weaken it?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)