|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rosaura doesn't care who Pedro chooses to be with at night, but she will remain ____________ in the house.
2. Pedro senses Tita's _____________ to get back down to the kitchen.
3. What is different about the room in which Tita stores the pots?
4. Tita wants to break the tradition her Mama started as it will affect Rosaura's ____________ if it continues.
5. John is grateful to ____________ for healing Tita, as he has been unsuccessful.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's interesting to watch the story unfold as the reader sees a group of strong women dominating the narrative. This is much different from the typical stories most of us are told.
Part 1: Why do you think the women of the family in this story are so strong? What might the reason be?
Part 2: In what ways are the women of the story strong? How do each of the family members - Mama, Tita, Gertrudius, and Rosaura each demonstrate their strength?
Part 3: How might the story have been different had the characters not been as strong?
Essay Topic 2
The ending of the story seems to be confusing for those who read this book. After all, it seems like the characters die and nothing is left but ashes.
Part 1: How do you interpret the ending of the story?
Part 2: What are some other meanings the author might have had for the ending of the book?
Part 3: Does this ending seem suitable to Tita and Pedro? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Tears seem to play an important role in this story as well. They seem to creep up not only in sad times, but also in happy times as well.
Part 1: In what ways are tears healing in this story?
Part 2: in what ways are tears painful within this story?
Part 3: How can tears provide both functions? Why does Tita in particular need tears to provide both functions?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)