|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many courses will be served at the wedding for which Tita and Chechna are cooking?
2. Where does the child like to sleep when Tita is cooking?
3. Tita worries that the accident didn't just affect Pedro's skin, but also his ___________.
4. What do Esperanza and Alex find under of foot of ashes when they return from their trip?
5. Rosaura doesn't care who Pedro chooses to be with at night, but she will remain ____________ in the house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tita has cried into the wedding cake, her tears seem to have a magical effect on the guests, causing them to feel their lost loves and to become violently ill.
Part 1: Do you think the sickness described in this particular scene could have actually happened? Why or why not?
Part 2: If the author is simply using magical realism to tell the story, why would they have done so?
Part 3: Does the fact that this scene does not seem possible affect its importance to the story or to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of taking care of others seems to come up quite often in this story, with many characters relying on other characters, as well as characters being the nurturers.
Part 1: How does this story define the idea of nurturing? Does this definition seem to be realistic?
Part 2: Why does Tita feel so strongly about Rosaura's son? Why is she so attentive to him?
Part 3: Do you think nurturing can ever go too far? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It seems to be the ritual of the food preparation that reaches the core of Tita.
Part 1: In what ways is Tita a better person when she cooks rather than when she is not cooking?
Part 2: Describe some of the rituals that Tita employs when she cooks for the others.
Part 3: Why does Tita need to have the ritual of cooking in her life? What does it provide for her?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)