|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tita advise Rosaura to chew on before she goes to bed at night?
2. When Gertrudis and her family arrive for the wedding, who is driving the car?
3. What do Esperanza and Alex find under of foot of ashes when they return from their trip?
4. Tita worries that the accident didn't just affect Pedro's skin, but also his ___________.
5. In the end, Tita realizes she must ___________________ with John.
Essay Topic 1
When Tita has cried into the wedding cake, her tears seem to have a magical effect on the guests, causing them to feel their lost loves and to become violently ill.
Part 1: Do you think the sickness described in this particular scene could have actually happened? Why or why not?
Part 2: If the author is simply using magical realism to tell the story, why would they have done so?
Part 3: Does the fact that this scene does not seem possible affect its importance to the story or to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Tears seem to play an important role in this story as well. They seem to creep up not only in sad times, but also in happy times as well.
Part 1: In what ways are tears healing in this story?
Part 2: in what ways are tears painful within this story?
Part 3: How can tears provide both functions? Why does Tita in particular need tears to provide both functions?
Essay Topic 3
Mama seems to put Pedro and Tita into a position where they will always experience sexual and emotional tension.
Part 1: Why do you think Mama doesn't want Tita to be with Pedro, aside from her given excuse?
Part 2: Why do you think Mama puts Tita and Pedro together so often anyway, even though she knows how they feel about each other?
Part 3: Do you think mama perhaps wants the two to be together? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,625 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)