|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the groom at the wedding celebration?
2. What does Pedro want to do in response to Tita's news to him?
3. Who is the bride at the wedding celebration?
4. Chechna decides to tell Mama that she found Tita as a _________ and that has made Tita worry about her worth.
5. How is Pedro feeling about the presence of John at the dinner table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magical realism is one of the literary decides the author uses in this story, often with beautiful results in the narrative.
Part 1: Define the idea of magical realism.
Part 2: Why do you think the author chooses magical realism over typical storytelling?
Part 3: How does magical realism strengthen the story? How does it weaken it?
Essay Topic 2
Pedro is one of the few male characters in this story and he doesn't seem to be a very strong one.
Part 1: Why doesn't Pedro fight to be with Tita when he asks to marry her in the beginning?
Part 2: Why does Pedro go ahead with his marriage to Rosaura?
Part 3: Do you think Pedro is a coward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Food is obviously a strong part of this book and of the lives of the characters within the book.
Part 1: Why is food so important to the main family in this book?
Part 2: Why can't the characters relate without having food around?
Part 3: What might the food represent to the book as a whole?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)