|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blue-eyed man tell the nurse when he calls the hospital?
2. What happened the night that Laura Shane was born?
3. What does Tammy do when it becomes obvious that Sheener no longer wants her, only Laura?
4. What does Dr. Carlson tell Bob is the reason that his wife died?
5. What does Laura find when she reaches the twins' room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the blond-haired man says to Dr. Markwell.
2. Describe Dr. Markwell and what he is doing when Chapter 1 begins.
3. What are some of the things the Ackerson twins tell Laura when she first meets them.
4. Describe what happens when Laura has to shoot the men that comes into her home in the beginning of Chapter 3.
5. Describe the scene where the cop approaches the car with the four SS men inside.
6. What happens right after Stefan first goes through the gate to the institute?
7. When Stefan wakes up a little more what does he tell them about his past?
8. Describe what steps Laura has taken to protect herself as seen in the beginning of Chapter 4.
9. Describe the belt that Laura has that was given to her by Stefan as it is described in Chapter 4.
10. What happens when Bob's store is robbed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Based on what is known about Laura and what her father recalled what would you say that Laura's mother had been like?
Part 2) What fictional character were you partial to that would be similar to Mr. Toad? Explain the similarities.
Part 3) Why are fictional characters important and often found in a child's life?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) It is explained that no one listens to children when they accuse Sheener of abuse. How would that have been different if it had occurred today if any?
Part 2) How has the orphanage system changed in the last fifty years?
Part 3) Would Tammy have been treated differently in today's time based on what was known of her past?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Describe Dr. Markwell. What was the significance of spending such a large portion of the front of the book focusing on Markwell and telling the story from his point of view?
Part 2) What is the reason that Markwell and his fate were not revisited in the story?
Part 3) Is there any indication that Markwell took Stefan's warning seriously and chose to change his life? Explain why or why not?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)