|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tomas feel about his window washing job after a while?
2. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel's bar?
3. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what did Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
5. What was the only reason Simon became involved with the editor?
Short Essay Questions
1. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
2. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
3. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
4. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
5. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
6. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
7. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
8. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
9. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
10. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
Essay Topic 2
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he would have kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
Essay Topic 3
Would you have signed the petition to grant amnesty to all political prisoners? Why or why not? Do you agree with Tomas's reasons not to have signed the petition? What is your overall opinion about petitions?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)