|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tereza's dream, what did Karenin give birth to?
2. What helped ease Tereza's anxiety when she entered the engineer's house?
3. Why was Tomas called to the editor's office?
4. When the engineer undressed Tereza, how did she respond?
5. The difference between Tereza and other women is that Tereza had come to Tomas...
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
2. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
3. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
4. Does Tomas make a mistake by returning to Prague from Zurich?
5. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
6. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
7. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
8. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
9. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
10. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
Essay Topic 2
If you were in Tereza's shoes, what would you have done to survive Tomas's infidelities, assuming you did not want to leave him? Had Tomas stopped having affairs, what kind of woman would Tereza have become? What kind of relationship would they have shared? Would Tomas been able to have Tereza as the only woman in his life, or would he have discovered they were incompatible? Would having children made a difference in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, does Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Had they not died, could they have had a happy relationship? Why or why not?
3. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite 3 examples.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)