|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sabina rebel agains?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what did Tereza brood about?
3. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
4. What did Franz come to realize was his real life?
5. What was the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
2. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
3. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
4. All her life Sabina had proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her?
5. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
6. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
7. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
8. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
9. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
10. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milan Kundera writes that Franz and Simon are the dreamers of this novel.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Franz and Simon. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What purpose does Franza and Simon serve in the novel? Use 3 events from the book where Franz and Simon's characters have an influence on the theme, and the characters, of the book.
3. Who is the bigger dreamer, Franz or Simon? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
Essay Topic 3
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)