|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
2. The author describes kitsch as the absolute denial of
3. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what did Tereza brood about?
4. What was the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
5. What did the bald headed man at the bar accuse Tereza of that caused the engineer to step in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
2. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
3. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
4. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
5. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
6. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
7. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
8. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
9. What did Tereza worry would happen if Tomas found out about her affair with the engineer?
10. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)