|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Tomas and Tereza have children?
2. At the end of the novel, Tereza feels that if she really had loved Tomas with a great love, she would have...
3. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
4. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
5. In what condition did Tereza and Karenin find the black crow under?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
2. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
4. Does Tomas make a mistake by returning to Prague from Zurich?
5. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
6. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
7. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
8. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
9. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
10. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, does Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite 3 incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 2
Tomas is a surgeon out of a deep passion and desire.
1. How many times does Tomas jeopardize his career? Cite the incidences where TOmas chooses a route that takes him further and further away from his career.
2. Tomas descends from one job to another, but he claims to Tereza at the end that he is happy. Is Tomas truly happy or pretending to be so? Cite 3 incidences that support your theory.
3. Had Tomas remained in Zurich, where his career as a surgeon flourished, would he have been better off? Or was he destined to be with Tereza and didn't really have a choice? Cite 3 incidences from the book that support your theory.
Essay Topic 3
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)