|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 2, who does the author attribute the works of the Communist regime of Central Europe?
3. What did the U.S. Senator Sabina was riding with consider happiness?
4. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
5. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
2. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
3. What is "kitsch?"
4. What did Tereza worry would happen if Tomas found out about her affair with the engineer?
5. In Part 5, Chapter 17, what episode both amuses and horrifies Tomas, proving that he is as tired mentally as he is physically?
6. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
7. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
8. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
9. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
10. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kundera has an entire section about misunderstood words between Franz and Sabina.
1. Was misunderstandings of words what led to Franz's and Sabina's break-up or were they simply not meant to be together? Cite 3 examples that support your theory.
2. had Sabina and Franz really been in love, would there have been a misunderstanding of words? Cite examples to prove your theory.
3. In Franz's case, was there a misunderstanding of words or a misunderstanding of women? How did Franz's upbringing affect his personality? Cite 3 examples of how his upbringing influenced the relationships he ended up having with women.
Essay Topic 2
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he would have kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
Essay Topic 3
Sabina and Marie-Claude are two of the coolest characters in this novel.
1. Comapre and contrast the characters of Sabina and Marie-Claude. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. Has Franza chosen a mistress that has similar characteristics to that of his wife? Cite 5 examples of how Franz fails to read through the women he married and his lover.
3. Who has less compassion towards Franz, his wife or Sabina? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)