|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What path did Simon take that he believed his father secretly agreed with?
2. What did Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
3. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why was it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
5. What did Tereza understand the benches floating downstream to mean in her dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
2. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
3. What does the article about the dogs being summarily shot in Russia signify for Tereza?
4. What did Tereza worry would happen if Tomas found out about her affair with the engineer?
5. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
6. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
7. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
8. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
9. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
10. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
Essay Topic 2
Sabina and Marie-Claude are two of the coolest characters in this novel.
1. Comapre and contrast the characters of Sabina and Marie-Claude. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. Has Franza chosen a mistress that has similar characteristics to that of his wife? Cite 5 examples of how Franz fails to read through the women he married and his lover.
3. Who has less compassion towards Franz, his wife or Sabina? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)