|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work did Tomas do on the farm?
2. For Karenin, everything that came from Tereza was...
3. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
4. What did Tereza understand the benches floating downstream to mean in her dream?
5. What did Sabina rebel agains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Tomas make a mistake by returning to Prague from Zurich?
2. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
3. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
4. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
5. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
6. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
7. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
8. What does the article about the dogs being summarily shot in Russia signify for Tereza?
9. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
10. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
Essay Topic 3
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)