|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
2. At the end of the novel, Tereza feels that if she really had loved Tomas with a great love, she would have...
3. When the engineer undressed Tereza, how did she respond?
4. What were Soviet films saturated with?
5. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
2. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
3. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
4. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
5. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
6. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
7. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
8. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
9. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
10. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza are brought together by fortuitous events.
1. Kandera often brings up the fortuitous events that brought Tomas and Tereza together. How many times does Kandera bring this up> What is he trying to say? Were Tereza and Tomas brought together by chance or fate?
2. Tomas questions the fortuitous events that brought him and Tereza together. Why didn't Tomas go beyond the questioning and conclude whether or not they did belong together? Was Tomas too passive in the relationship, allowing for those fortuitous events to lead the meaning of the relationship? Cite 3 examples that prove your theory.
3. Tereza holds steady to the fortuitous events that brought her to Tomas. Why does that not bring her peace? Cite 3 examples where she fully recognizes she's in an unhappy relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, does Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite 3 incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. The influence of women on the various characters: Tereza's mother on Tereza, Franz's mother on Franz, Tomas's wife on Tomas and Simon's mother on Simon.
2. The influence of communism on the various characters: Tomas, Sabina, Simon, Tereza.
3. The result of infidelity on Tereza, Tomas, Sabina, Franz and Marie-Claude.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)