|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tomas's reaction when one of his mistresses reminded him of an intimate incident he couldn't recall?
2. What had Simon done since childhood?
3. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel's bar?
4. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
5. Who were many of Tomas's private customers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
2. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
3. What did Tereza worry would happen if Tomas found out about her affair with the engineer?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
5. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
6. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
7. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
8. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
9. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
10. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)