|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sabina rebel agains?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 23, Tomas has a dream of a woman he'd never met before, who was...
3. What did Tomas catch Tereza do that upset him?
4. What privilege did Tomas want to grant Karenin that was forbidden to humans?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 8, what did Tereza know had become of her and Tomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
2. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
3. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
4. Does Tomas make a mistake by returning to Prague from Zurich?
5. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
6. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
7. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
8. In Part 5, Chapter 17, what episode both amuses and horrifies Tomas, proving that he is as tired mentally as he is physically?
9. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
10. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milan Kundera writes that Franz and Simon are the dreamers of this novel.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Franz and Simon. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What purpose does Franza and Simon serve in the novel? Use 3 events from the book where Franz and Simon's characters have an influence on the theme, and the characters, of the book.
3. Who is the bigger dreamer, Franz or Simon? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Kandera compares the behavior of animals to that of humans. Cite 3 examples where Kandera compares animals to humans and discuss his views on this subject.
2. Kandera questions why humans don't have the selfless love that exists between people and animals. Tereza, for instance, has a better love for her dog than for Tomas. Cite 3 examples of how Tereza's love for her dog Karenin is better than her love for Tomas. What actions would have made her love unconditional?
3. Tereza treats the animals she comes across well. Would she have made a good mother? How do you think her childhood experience might have influenced her relationship with her children, had she had any? Would she have been a happier more fulfilled woman had she had children?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)