|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
2. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
3. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel's bar?
4. What did Tomas hint to the doctor after he informed him that he would not retract his statement?
5. Why did Tomas's son write a letter to Tomas when they were living in the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
2. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
3. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
4. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
5. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
6. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
7. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
8. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
9. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
10. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, does Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite 3 incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. The influence of women on the various characters: Tereza's mother on Tereza, Franz's mother on Franz, Tomas's wife on Tomas and Simon's mother on Simon.
2. The influence of communism on the various characters: Tomas, Sabina, Simon, Tereza.
3. The result of infidelity on Tereza, Tomas, Sabina, Franz and Marie-Claude.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)