|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What expression did Tomas have, when concentrating, that he saw in his son?
2. How did Tomas feel after the petition was published?
3. What was Tomas promised if he made the retraction?
4. In Part 6, Chapter 11, who does Sabina claim is her enemy?
5. What did Tereza long to end?
Short Essay Questions
1. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
2. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
3. What is "kitsch?"
4. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
5. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
6. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
7. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
8. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
9. All her life Sabina had proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her?
10. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabina and Marie-Claude are two of the coolest characters in this novel.
1. Comapre and contrast the characters of Sabina and Marie-Claude. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. Has Franza chosen a mistress that has similar characteristics to that of his wife? Cite 5 examples of how Franz fails to read through the women he married and his lover.
3. Who has less compassion towards Franz, his wife or Sabina? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, does Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite 3 incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)