|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Czech text was written on the poster hanging on the editor's wall?
2. What desire led to Tomas's pursuit of women?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what did Tereza want to tell Tomas on their way back to Prague?
4. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
5. Why did Tomas's son write a letter to Tomas when they were living in the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
2. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
3. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
5. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
6. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
7. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
8. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
9. In Part 5, Chapter 17, what episode both amuses and horrifies Tomas, proving that he is as tired mentally as he is physically?
10. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you have signed the petition to grant amnesty to all political prisoners? Why or why not? Do you agree with Tomas's reasons not to have signed the petition? What is your overall opinion about petitions?
Essay Topic 2
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he would have kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
Essay Topic 3
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)