|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 23, Tomas has a dream of a woman he'd never met before, who was...
3. What were Soviet films saturated with?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what did Tereza brood about?
5. What disease did Karenin have?
Short Essay Questions
1. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
2. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
4. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
5. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
6. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
7. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
8. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
9. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
10. All her life Sabina had proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, does Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite 3 incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 3
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)