|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
2. What did Tomas feel the first day he reported to the window washer job?
3. What did the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
4. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
5. In Tereza's dream, what did Karenin give birth to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
2. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
3. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
4. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
5. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
6. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
7. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
8. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
9. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
10. Does Tomas make a mistake by returning to Prague from Zurich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were in Tereza's shoes, what would you have done to survive Tomas's infidelities, assuming you did not want to leave him? Had Tomas stopped having affairs, what kind of woman would Tereza have become? What kind of relationship would they have shared? Would Tomas been able to have Tereza as the only woman in his life, or would he have discovered they were incompatible? Would having children made a difference in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Would you have signed the petition to grant amnesty to all political prisoners? Why or why not? Do you agree with Tomas's reasons not to have signed the petition? What is your overall opinion about petitions?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)