|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Soviet films saturated with?
2. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
3. What happened when the interpreter that headed the march requested permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
4. Who were many of Tomas's private customers?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 8, what did Tereza know had become of her and Tomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
2. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
3. Does Tomas make a mistake by returning to Prague from Zurich?
4. What is "kitsch?"
5. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
6. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
7. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
8. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
9. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
10. What does the article about the dogs being summarily shot in Russia signify for Tereza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milan Kundera writes that Franz and Simon are the dreamers of this novel.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Franz and Simon. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What purpose does Franza and Simon serve in the novel? Use 3 events from the book where Franz and Simon's characters have an influence on the theme, and the characters, of the book.
3. Who is the bigger dreamer, Franz or Simon? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Kandera compares the behavior of animals to that of humans. Cite 3 examples where Kandera compares animals to humans and discuss his views on this subject.
2. Kandera questions why humans don't have the selfless love that exists between people and animals. Tereza, for instance, has a better love for her dog than for Tomas. Cite 3 examples of how Tereza's love for her dog Karenin is better than her love for Tomas. What actions would have made her love unconditional?
3. Tereza treats the animals she comes across well. Would she have made a good mother? How do you think her childhood experience might have influenced her relationship with her children, had she had any? Would she have been a happier more fulfilled woman had she had children?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)