|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
2. What did Tomas catch Tereza do that upset him?
3. What distinguished the woman Tomas met in chapter 10 from other women?
4. What did Sabina rebel agains?
5. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
2. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
3. What does the article about the dogs being summarily shot in Russia signify for Tereza?
4. All her life Sabina had proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her?
5. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
6. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
7. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
8. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
9. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
10. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the question of weight and lightness is often used to describe the reason behind a character's actions. Discuss which characters are pursuing lightness, which characters are more pursuing weight. Tomas, Tereza, Franz and Sabina.
2. Recurring dreams have a strong impact on Tereza. These dreams interpret her inner struggle with Tomas's affairs. Cite 3 dreams that were particularly frightening for Tereza.
3. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera expresses quite a few observations about the Communist Regime and the people that oppose them. Cite 3 views that adrress those views.
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Kundera has an entire section about misunderstood words between Franz and Sabina.
1. Was misunderstandings of words what led to Franz's and Sabina's break-up or were they simply not meant to be together? Cite 3 examples that support your theory.
2. had Sabina and Franz really been in love, would there have been a misunderstanding of words? Cite examples to prove your theory.
3. In Franz's case, was there a misunderstanding of words or a misunderstanding of women? How did Franz's upbringing affect his personality? Cite 3 examples of how his upbringing influenced the relationships he ended up having with women.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)