Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Standing in the anteroom, what saves Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
2. How does Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what does Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
4. In Part 7, What does Tomas catch Tereza doing that upsets him?
5. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel bar?
Essay Topic 1
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, do Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Milan Kundera writes that Franz and Simon are the dreamers of this novel.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Franz and Simon. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What purpose does Franza and Simon serve in the novel? Use three events from the book where Franz and Simon's characters have an influence on the theme, and the characters, of the book.
3. Who is the bigger dreamer, Franz or Simon? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he had kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long-term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
This section contains 1,852 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)