|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What privilege did Tomas want to grant Karenin that was forbidden to humans?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why was it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
3. What expression did Tomas have, when concentrating, that he saw in his son?
4. What were Soviet films saturated with?
5. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
2. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
3. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
4. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
5. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
6. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
7. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
8. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
9. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
10. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabina and Marie-Claude are two of the coolest characters in this novel.
1. Comapre and contrast the characters of Sabina and Marie-Claude. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. Has Franza chosen a mistress that has similar characteristics to that of his wife? Cite 5 examples of how Franz fails to read through the women he married and his lover.
3. Who has less compassion towards Franz, his wife or Sabina? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
Kundera has an entire section about misunderstood words between Franz and Sabina.
1. Was misunderstandings of words what led to Franz's and Sabina's break-up or were they simply not meant to be together? Cite 3 examples that support your theory.
2. had Sabina and Franz really been in love, would there have been a misunderstanding of words? Cite examples to prove your theory.
3. In Franz's case, was there a misunderstanding of words or a misunderstanding of women? How did Franz's upbringing affect his personality? Cite 3 examples of how his upbringing influenced the relationships he ended up having with women.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Kandera compares the behavior of animals to that of humans. Cite 3 examples where Kandera compares animals to humans and discuss his views on this subject.
2. Kandera questions why humans don't have the selfless love that exists between people and animals. Tereza, for instance, has a better love for her dog than for Tomas. Cite 3 examples of how Tereza's love for her dog Karenin is better than her love for Tomas. What actions would have made her love unconditional?
3. Tereza treats the animals she comes across well. Would she have made a good mother? How do you think her childhood experience might have influenced her relationship with her children, had she had any? Would she have been a happier more fulfilled woman had she had children?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)