Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Standing in the anteroom, what saves Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
2. How does Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what does Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
4. In Part 7, What does Tomas catch Tereza doing that upsets him?
5. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel bar?
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the question of weight and lightness is often used to describe the reason behind a character's actions. Discuss which characters are pursuing lightness, which characters are more pursuing weight: Tomas, Tereza, Franz, and Sabina.
2. Recurring dreams have a strong impact on Tereza. These dreams interpret her inner struggle with Tomas's affairs. Cite three dreams that were particularly frightening for Tereza.
3. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera expresses quite a few observations about the Communist regime and the people that oppose them. Cite three observations that address those views.
Milan Kundera writes that Franz and Simon are the dreamers of this novel.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Franz and Simon. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What purpose does Franza and Simon serve in the novel? Use three events from the book where Franz and Simon's characters have an influence on the theme, and the characters, of the book.
3. Who is the bigger dreamer, Franz or Simon? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Imagine the possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)