|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tereza feel about Tomas's son?
2. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
3. What desire led to Tomas's pursuit of women?
4. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
5. What did making love with the engineer in the absence of love do to Tereza?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
4. What is "kitsch?"
5. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
6. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
7. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
8. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
9. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
10. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, does Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Had they not died, could they have had a happy relationship? Why or why not?
3. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite 3 examples.
Essay Topic 2
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
Essay Topic 3
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)