|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinguishes the woman Tomas meets in Part 5, Chapter 10 from other women?
2. What does Tomas hint to the doctor after he informs him that he will not retract his statement?
3. Sabina likes America...
4. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what does Tereza want to tell Tomas on their way back to Prague?
5. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what does Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
Essay Topic 1
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he had kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long-term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
Essay Topic 2
Franz's upbringing affects his personality a great deal.
1. How does Franz's relationship with his mother affect his relationships with women? Cite three examples.
2. Does Franz's interest in demonstrations have anything to do with the fact that his father left his mother when he was a child?
Essay Topic 3
Tomas questions the fortuitous events that brought him and Tereza together.
1. Why doesn't Tomas go beyond the questioning and conclude whether or not they did belong together?
2. Is Tomas too passive in the relationship, allowing for those fortuitous events to lead the meaning of the relationship? Cite three examples that support your theory.
This section contains 1,879 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)