Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Standing in the anteroom, what saves Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
2. How does Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what does Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
4. In Part 7, What does Tomas catch Tereza doing that upsets him?
5. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel bar?
Tomas and Tereza are brought together by fortuitous events.
1. Kandera often brings up the fortuitous events that brought Tomas and Tereza together. How many times does Kandera bring this up? What is he trying to say? Were Tereza and Tomas brought together by chance or fate?
2. Tereza holds steady to the fortuitous events that brought her to Tomas. Why does that not bring her peace? Cite three examples where she fully recognizes she's in an unhappy relationship.
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Kundera brings up God on a number of occasions. Using examples from the book, discuss his views on this particular subject.
2. Except for Simon and Marie-Claude, all the characters are involved in some type of infidelity. Does the political environment influence people to this type of lifestyle?
3. Describe "kitsch," especially how the author relates it to politics. Use two examples, not concerned with the book, of modern day situations that would be considered "kitsch."
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)