Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Standing in the anteroom, what saves Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
2. How does Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what does Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
4. In Part 7, What does Tomas catch Tereza doing that upsets him?
5. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel bar?
Essay Topic 1
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, do Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Sabina and Marie-Claude are two of the coldest characters in this novel.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Sabina and Marie-Claude. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. Has Franz chosen a mistress that has similar characteristics to that of his wife? Cite five examples of how Franz fails to understand the women he married and his lover.
3. Who has less compassion towards Franz, his wife or Sabina? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)