|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with...
2. The difference between Tereza and other women is that Tereza came to Tomas...
3. In Tereza's dream, what does Karenin give birth to?
4. What desire leads to Tomas's pursuit of women?
5. What happens when the interpreter that heads the march requests permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas questions the fortuitous events that brought him and Tereza together.
1. Why doesn't Tomas go beyond the questioning and conclude whether or not they did belong together?
2. Is Tomas too passive in the relationship, allowing for those fortuitous events to lead the meaning of the relationship? Cite three examples that support your theory.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine the possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where, and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
This section contains 1,817 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)