|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sabina's bowler hat belong to?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why are Sabina and Tomas touched by the sight of the bowler hat?
3. What country did Franz greatly admire?
4. What does Franz worry about daily?
5. What is the command Tomas uses on both Sabina and Tereza?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
2. How could it be interpreted as Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
3. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
4. Describe Franz's weakness.
5. What does Tereza feel when she stands naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographs her?
6. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
7. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
8. Why does Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's job offer in Switzerland?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what is Tereza's first thought when Tomas comes back to Prague because of her?
10. In Part 5, Chapter 14, when talking to the editor and his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
Essay Topic 1
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, do Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1.Tomas does not sign the petition to grant amnesty to all political prisoners because he does not believe it will do any good. List three examples from the book that support Tomas's views.
2. Tomas and his son have different views about the power of words and of the article Tomas wrote. List two examples from the book that support Tomas's views and two examples that support his son's views.
3. After the petition is published, Tomas is not sure whether he had made the right decision. List three three reasons why Tomas should or should not have signed the petition.
Essay Topic 3
Tomas is a surgeon out of a deep passion and desire.
1. How many times does Tomas jeopardize his career? Cite the incidences where Tomas chooses a route that takes him further and further away from his career.
2. Tomas descends from one job to another, but he claims to Tereza at the end that he is happy. Is Tomas truly happy or pretending to be so? Cite three incidences that support your theory.
3. Had Tomas remained in Zurich, where his career as a surgeon flourished, would he have been better off? Or was he destined to be with Tereza and didn't really have a choice? Cite three incidences from the book that support your theory.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)