|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what aroma did Tereza notice on Tomas's hair?
2. At the party, what did Marie-Claude call Sabina's ceramic pendant?
3. What did Tereza's mother forbid Tereza to do?
4. In Part 3, chapter 2, why were Sabina and Tomas touched by the sight of the bowler hat?
5. What did Franz like to take part in?
Short Essay Questions
1. For Franz, what is music?
2. What type of daughter was Tereza? What was her lifestyle like?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how does Sabina feel about her own unfairness towards the immigrants?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what did Tomas struggle with after Tereza returned to her small Czech town?
5. What were books for Tereza?
6. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
8. Describe Franz's love for Sabina.
9. What does the word "woman" represent for Franz?
10. What did Tereza feel when she stood naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographed her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were in Tereza's shoes, what would you have done to survive Tomas's infidelities, assuming you did not want to leave him? Had Tomas stopped having affairs, what kind of woman would Tereza have become? What kind of relationship would they have shared? Would Tomas been able to have Tereza as the only woman in his life, or would he have discovered they were incompatible? Would having children made a difference in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. The influence of women on the various characters: Tereza's mother on Tereza, Franz's mother on Franz, Tomas's wife on Tomas and Simon's mother on Simon.
2. The influence of communism on the various characters: Tomas, Sabina, Simon, Tereza.
3. The result of infidelity on Tereza, Tomas, Sabina, Franz and Marie-Claude.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)