|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sabina's views of modern music?
2. Who did Sabina's bowler hat belong to?
3. What type of teenager was Tereza?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what aroma did Tereza notice on Tomas's hair?
5. What did Tereza propose to Sabina?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tereza's mother:
2. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
3. Is reaching the lightness of being Sabina's goal?
4. Describe Franz's weakness.
5. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
7. What type of daughter was Tereza? What was her lifestyle like?
8. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
9. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
10. Do you think that Tomas and Tereaz met by chance or by fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, does Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite 3 incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 2
Would you have signed the petition to grant amnesty to all political prisoners? Why or why not? Do you agree with Tomas's reasons not to have signed the petition? What is your overall opinion about petitions?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. The influence of women on the various characters: Tereza's mother on Tereza, Franz's mother on Franz, Tomas's wife on Tomas and Simon's mother on Simon.
2. The influence of communism on the various characters: Tomas, Sabina, Simon, Tereza.
3. The result of infidelity on Tereza, Tomas, Sabina, Franz and Marie-Claude.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)