|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Sabina, what did the bowler hat NOT represent?
2. Whose quartet is based on the following two motifs: "Must it be?" "It must be."
3. Where did Tomas and Tereza meet?
4. In Tereza's eyes, what did books represent?
5. What did Marie-Claude threaten her husband with twenty years prior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Tereza's dreams about?
2. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
3. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
4. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
5. What type of daughter was Tereza? What was her lifestyle like?
6. Describe Franz's weakness.
7. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
8. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
9. What were books for Tereza?
10. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kundera has an entire section about misunderstood words between Franz and Sabina.
1. Was misunderstandings of words what led to Franz's and Sabina's break-up or were they simply not meant to be together? Cite 3 examples that support your theory.
2. had Sabina and Franz really been in love, would there have been a misunderstanding of words? Cite examples to prove your theory.
3. In Franz's case, was there a misunderstanding of words or a misunderstanding of women? How did Franz's upbringing affect his personality? Cite 3 examples of how his upbringing influenced the relationships he ended up having with women.
Essay Topic 2
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, does Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Had they not died, could they have had a happy relationship? Why or why not?
3. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite 3 examples.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Kundera brings up God on a number of occasions. Using examples from the book, discuss his views on this particular subject.
2. Except for Simon and Marie-Claude, all the characters are involved in some type of infidelity. Does the political environment influence people to this type of lifestyle?
3. Describe "kitsch," especially how the author relates it to politics. Use 2 examples, not concerned with the book, of modern day situations that would be considered "kitsch."
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)