|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza's mother when she found Tereza's diary
2. When they were living in Zunich, what incident caused Tereza to pack her suitcase, take Karenin and leave for Prague while Tomas was at work?
3. In chapter 1, where does Franza want to take Sabina?
4. After Sabina settled in Paris, what were her thoughts about Franz?
5. Why did Tereza refuse the job offer as photographer?
Short Essay Questions
1. For Franz, what is music?
2. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
3. Is reaching the lightness of being Sabina's goal?
4. Describe Tereza's mother:
5. Describe Franz's weakness.
6. What does the word "woman" represent for Franz?
7. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
8. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
10. Do you think that Tomas and Tereaz met by chance or by fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Kundera brings up God on a number of occasions. Using examples from the book, discuss his views on this particular subject.
2. Except for Simon and Marie-Claude, all the characters are involved in some type of infidelity. Does the political environment influence people to this type of lifestyle?
3. Describe "kitsch," especially how the author relates it to politics. Use 2 examples, not concerned with the book, of modern day situations that would be considered "kitsch."
Essay Topic 3
If you were in Tereza's shoes, what would you have done to survive Tomas's infidelities, assuming you did not want to leave him? Had Tomas stopped having affairs, what kind of woman would Tereza have become? What kind of relationship would they have shared? Would Tomas been able to have Tereza as the only woman in his life, or would he have discovered they were incompatible? Would having children made a difference in their relationship?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)