|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did Tereza use to express how she felt about life with her family?
2. What happened at night that caused Tereza to fear that time of the day?
3. What happened once Tomas followed Tereza to Prague?
4. What did Tereza remember most of Dubeck's speech, the one he made after his return from Moscow?
5. Who did Franz respect and worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
2. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
3. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
4. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
5. What were books for Tereza?
6. Describe Franz's weakness.
7. Describe Tereza's mother:
8. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how does Sabina feel about her own unfairness towards the immigrants?
10. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabina and Marie-Claude are two of the coolest characters in this novel.
1. Comapre and contrast the characters of Sabina and Marie-Claude. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. Has Franza chosen a mistress that has similar characteristics to that of his wife? Cite 5 examples of how Franz fails to read through the women he married and his lover.
3. Who has less compassion towards Franz, his wife or Sabina? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the question of weight and lightness is often used to describe the reason behind a character's actions. Discuss which characters are pursuing lightness, which characters are more pursuing weight. Tomas, Tereza, Franz and Sabina.
2. Recurring dreams have a strong impact on Tereza. These dreams interpret her inner struggle with Tomas's affairs. Cite 3 dreams that were particularly frightening for Tereza.
3. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera expresses quite a few observations about the Communist Regime and the people that oppose them. Cite 3 views that adrress those views.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)