|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why wouldn't the magazine editor publish Tereza's photographs?
2. Whose quartet is based on the following two motifs: "Must it be?" "It must be."
3. Why did Tomas oppose Tereza visiting her mother when she heard she had cancer?
4. Sabina is stirred by her own...
5. What incident led Franz to tell his wife about his affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Franz's love for Sabina.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what did Tomas struggle with after Tereza returned to her small Czech town?
3. What did Tereza feel when she stood naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographed her?
4. For Franz, what is music?
5. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
6. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
7. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
9. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
10. What does the word "woman" represent for Franz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Kandera compares the behavior of animals to that of humans. Cite 3 examples where Kandera compares animals to humans and discuss his views on this subject.
2. Kandera questions why humans don't have the selfless love that exists between people and animals. Tereza, for instance, has a better love for her dog than for Tomas. Cite 3 examples of how Tereza's love for her dog Karenin is better than her love for Tomas. What actions would have made her love unconditional?
3. Tereza treats the animals she comes across well. Would she have made a good mother? How do you think her childhood experience might have influenced her relationship with her children, had she had any? Would she have been a happier more fulfilled woman had she had children?
Essay Topic 2
Would you have signed the petition to grant amnesty to all political prisoners? Why or why not? Do you agree with Tomas's reasons not to have signed the petition? What is your overall opinion about petitions?
Essay Topic 3
Tomas and Tereza are brought together by fortuitous events.
1. Kandera often brings up the fortuitous events that brought Tomas and Tereza together. How many times does Kandera bring this up> What is he trying to say? Were Tereza and Tomas brought together by chance or fate?
2. Tomas questions the fortuitous events that brought him and Tereza together. Why didn't Tomas go beyond the questioning and conclude whether or not they did belong together? Was Tomas too passive in the relationship, allowing for those fortuitous events to lead the meaning of the relationship? Cite 3 examples that prove your theory.
3. Tereza holds steady to the fortuitous events that brought her to Tomas. Why does that not bring her peace? Cite 3 examples where she fully recognizes she's in an unhappy relationship.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)