Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affect does the first week of the Russian occupation have on Tereza?
2. Who does Sabina's bowler hat belong to?
3. Where does Tomas first meet Tereza?
4. What is the first piece of furniture Franz ever buys for himself?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 6, looking in the mirror, why does Tereza feel disgusted by her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. All her life Sabina has proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her? How has Sabina been carrying kitsch with her?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
3. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
4. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
5. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 16, there's a general description of Tereza's dreams. In general, what are her dreams like and what do they represent?
7. Describe why Tomas's return to Prague from Zurich is a mistake?
8. What does Tereza worry would happen if Tomas finds out about her affair with the engineer?
9. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
10. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza are brought together by fortuitous events.
1. Kandera often brings up the fortuitous events that brought Tomas and Tereza together. How many times does Kandera bring this up? What is he trying to say? Were Tereza and Tomas brought together by chance or fate?
2. Tereza holds steady to the fortuitous events that brought her to Tomas. Why does that not bring her peace? Cite three examples where she fully recognizes she's in an unhappy relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where, and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)