|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza purchase every morning for Karenin?
2. What feelings did Sabina portray towards the immigrants she sat with?
3. What did Tereza's mother forbid Tereza to do?
4. Where did Tomas and Tereza meet?
5. Why wouldn't the magazine editor publish Tereza's photographs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
3. What does the word "woman" represent for Franz?
4. How did Tereza react to her mother's phone call telling her she had cancer and only 5 months to live?
5. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
6. Describe Tereza's mother:
7. What did the dream about the naked women in the pool, who resembled each other and who were one by one executed by Tomas, represent?
8. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
9. Do you think that Tomas and Tereaz met by chance or by fate?
10. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. The influence of women on the various characters: Tereza's mother on Tereza, Franz's mother on Franz, Tomas's wife on Tomas and Simon's mother on Simon.
2. The influence of communism on the various characters: Tomas, Sabina, Simon, Tereza.
3. The result of infidelity on Tereza, Tomas, Sabina, Franz and Marie-Claude.
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, does Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite 3 incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 3
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)