|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affect does the first week of the Russian occupation have on Tereza?
2. Who does Sabina's bowler hat belong to?
3. Where does Tomas first meet Tereza?
4. What is the first piece of furniture Franz ever buys for himself?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 6, looking in the mirror, why does Tereza feel disgusted by her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. All her life Sabina has proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her? How has Sabina been carrying kitsch with her?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
3. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
4. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
5. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 16, there's a general description of Tereza's dreams. In general, what are her dreams like and what do they represent?
7. Describe why Tomas's return to Prague from Zurich is a mistake?
8. What does Tereza worry would happen if Tomas finds out about her affair with the engineer?
9. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
10. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, do Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite three incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Kandera compares the behavior of animals to that of humans. Cite three examples where Kandera compares animals to humans and discuss his views on this subject.
2. Kandera questions why humans don't have the selfless love that exists between people and animals. Tereza, for instance, has a better love for her dog than for Tomas. Cite three examples of how Tereza's love for her dog Karenin is better than her love for Tomas. What actions would have made her love unconditional?
Essay Topic 3
Tomas is a surgeon out of a deep passion and desire.
1. How many times does Tomas jeopardize his career? Cite the incidences where Tomas chooses a route that takes him further and further away from his career.
2. Tomas descends from one job to another, but he claims to Tereza at the end that he is happy. Is Tomas truly happy or pretending to be so? Cite three incidences that support your theory.
3. Had Tomas remained in Zurich, where his career as a surgeon flourished, would he have been better off? Or was he destined to be with Tereza and didn't really have a choice? Cite three incidences from the book that support your theory.
This section contains 2,431 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)