|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza's mother when she found Tereza's diary
2. After Sabina settled in Paris, what were her thoughts about Franz?
3. What does Franz worry about daily?
4. What did Sabina unexpectedly meet in the village church?
5. In Tereza's eyes, what did books represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Tereza's dreams about?
2. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
3. What were books for Tereza?
4. What does the word "woman" represent for Franz?
5. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
7. Describe Franz's love for Sabina.
8. What did the dream about the naked women in the pool, who resembled each other and who were one by one executed by Tomas, represent?
9. Describe Franz's weakness.
10. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Kandera compares the behavior of animals to that of humans. Cite 3 examples where Kandera compares animals to humans and discuss his views on this subject.
2. Kandera questions why humans don't have the selfless love that exists between people and animals. Tereza, for instance, has a better love for her dog than for Tomas. Cite 3 examples of how Tereza's love for her dog Karenin is better than her love for Tomas. What actions would have made her love unconditional?
3. Tereza treats the animals she comes across well. Would she have made a good mother? How do you think her childhood experience might have influenced her relationship with her children, had she had any? Would she have been a happier more fulfilled woman had she had children?
Essay Topic 2
Would you stay home for the sake of loved ones or travel overseas to help a country in need? Why or why not? What is more important, home and family or helping big causes? How would Franz's life ended up had he remained at home or returned safely home? What do you think happened to his mistress?
Essay Topic 3
Milan Kundera writes that Franz and Simon are the dreamers of this novel.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Franz and Simon. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What purpose does Franza and Simon serve in the novel? Use 3 events from the book where Franz and Simon's characters have an influence on the theme, and the characters, of the book.
3. Who is the bigger dreamer, Franz or Simon? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)