|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what aroma did Tereza notice on Tomas's hair?
2. What is the meaning of Tereza's secret vice, her long looks and frequent glances in the mirror?
3. Where did Tomas and Tereza meet?
4. What did Tereza's mother when she found Tereza's diary
5. What did Marie-Claude's say about the serious car accident she once had?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is reaching the lightness of being Sabina's goal?
2. What were books for Tereza?
3. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
4. What did Tereza feel when she stood naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographed her?
5. For Franz, what is music?
6. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
7. What type of daughter was Tereza? What was her lifestyle like?
8. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
9. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were in Tereza's shoes, what would you have done to survive Tomas's infidelities, assuming you did not want to leave him? Had Tomas stopped having affairs, what kind of woman would Tereza have become? What kind of relationship would they have shared? Would Tomas been able to have Tereza as the only woman in his life, or would he have discovered they were incompatible? Would having children made a difference in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Kundera has an entire section about misunderstood words between Franz and Sabina.
1. Was misunderstandings of words what led to Franz's and Sabina's break-up or were they simply not meant to be together? Cite 3 examples that support your theory.
2. had Sabina and Franz really been in love, would there have been a misunderstanding of words? Cite examples to prove your theory.
3. In Franz's case, was there a misunderstanding of words or a misunderstanding of women? How did Franz's upbringing affect his personality? Cite 3 examples of how his upbringing influenced the relationships he ended up having with women.
Essay Topic 3
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)