|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Franz's words about love and strength do to Sabina?
2. In chapter 1, where does Franza want to take Sabina?
3. What would have caused Tereza to do anything for her mother?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what did Sabina say to the distinguished immigrant that upset him?
5. What does Marie-Anne and her mother do when they have a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of daughter was Tereza? What was her lifestyle like?
2. How did Tomas ensure that erotic friendship never grew into the aggression of love?
3. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
5. What did Tereza feel when she stood naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographed her?
6. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
7. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
8. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
9. For Franz, what is music?
10. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, does Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Had they not died, could they have had a happy relationship? Why or why not?
3. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite 3 examples.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the question of weight and lightness is often used to describe the reason behind a character's actions. Discuss which characters are pursuing lightness, which characters are more pursuing weight. Tomas, Tereza, Franz and Sabina.
2. Recurring dreams have a strong impact on Tereza. These dreams interpret her inner struggle with Tomas's affairs. Cite 3 dreams that were particularly frightening for Tereza.
3. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera expresses quite a few observations about the Communist Regime and the people that oppose them. Cite 3 views that adrress those views.
Essay Topic 3
Would you have signed the petition to grant amnesty to all political prisoners? Why or why not? Do you agree with Tomas's reasons not to have signed the petition? What is your overall opinion about petitions?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)