|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Franz had given up scores of women because of what misunderstanding?
2. What did Tereza's mother forbid Tereza to do?
3. Why did Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
4. What term did Tereza use to express how she felt about life with her family?
5. In general, what did Sabina have a longing for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
2. What type of daughter was Tereza? What was her lifestyle like?
3. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
5. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
6. What does the word "woman" represent for Franz?
7. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
8. What were books for Tereza?
9. What were Tereza's dreams about?
10. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the question of weight and lightness is often used to describe the reason behind a character's actions. Discuss which characters are pursuing lightness, which characters are more pursuing weight. Tomas, Tereza, Franz and Sabina.
2. Recurring dreams have a strong impact on Tereza. These dreams interpret her inner struggle with Tomas's affairs. Cite 3 dreams that were particularly frightening for Tereza.
3. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera expresses quite a few observations about the Communist Regime and the people that oppose them. Cite 3 views that adrress those views.
Essay Topic 2
Kundera has an entire section about misunderstood words between Franz and Sabina.
1. Was misunderstandings of words what led to Franz's and Sabina's break-up or were they simply not meant to be together? Cite 3 examples that support your theory.
2. had Sabina and Franz really been in love, would there have been a misunderstanding of words? Cite examples to prove your theory.
3. In Franz's case, was there a misunderstanding of words or a misunderstanding of women? How did Franz's upbringing affect his personality? Cite 3 examples of how his upbringing influenced the relationships he ended up having with women.
Essay Topic 3
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)