Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affect does the first week of the Russian occupation have on Tereza?
2. Who does Sabina's bowler hat belong to?
3. Where does Tomas first meet Tereza?
4. What is the first piece of furniture Franz ever buys for himself?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 6, looking in the mirror, why does Tereza feel disgusted by her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. All her life Sabina has proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her? How has Sabina been carrying kitsch with her?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
3. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
4. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
5. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 16, there's a general description of Tereza's dreams. In general, what are her dreams like and what do they represent?
7. Describe why Tomas's return to Prague from Zurich is a mistake?
8. What does Tereza worry would happen if Tomas finds out about her affair with the engineer?
9. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
10. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
Essay Topic 1
Tomas questions the fortuitous events that brought him and Tereza together.
1. Why doesn't Tomas go beyond the questioning and conclude whether or not they did belong together?
2. Is Tomas too passive in the relationship, allowing for those fortuitous events to lead the meaning of the relationship? Cite three examples that support your theory.
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza are brought together by fortuitous events.
1. Kandera often brings up the fortuitous events that brought Tomas and Tereza together. How many times does Kandera bring this up? What is he trying to say? Were Tereza and Tomas brought together by chance or fate?
2. Tereza holds steady to the fortuitous events that brought her to Tomas. Why does that not bring her peace? Cite three examples where she fully recognizes she's in an unhappy relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Kundera has an entire section about misunderstood words between Franz and Sabina.
1. Was misunderstandings of words what led to Franz's and Sabina's break-up or were they simply not meant to be together? Cite three examples that support your theory.
2. had Sabina and Franz really been in love, would there have been a misunderstanding of words? Cite examples to prove your theory.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)