|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feelings did Sabina portray towards the immigrants she sat with?
2. What did Tereza propose to Sabina?
3. Franz had given up scores of women because of what misunderstanding?
4. What did Franz feel with regards to his love for Sabina?
5. How did Sabina feel about Franz having told his wife of their affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Tereza's dreams about?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
3. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
4. What were books for Tereza?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how does Sabina feel about her own unfairness towards the immigrants?
6. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
7. Describe Franz's love for Sabina.
8. For Franz, what is music?
9. How did Tomas ensure that erotic friendship never grew into the aggression of love?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
Essay Topic 2
Milan Kundera writes that Franz and Simon are the dreamers of this novel.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Franz and Simon. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What purpose does Franza and Simon serve in the novel? Use 3 events from the book where Franz and Simon's characters have an influence on the theme, and the characters, of the book.
3. Who is the bigger dreamer, Franz or Simon? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he would have kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)