|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Franz worry about daily?
2. Why does Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
3. After the encounter with the immigrants, which stirred her up quite a bit, how does Sabina react when she sees Franz sitting on a couchette?
4. When they live in Zunich, what incident causes Tereza to pack her suitcase, take Karenin, and leave for Prague while Tomas is at work?
5. What novel is Tereza reading when she visits Tomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
2. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
3. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
4. Describe Franz's love for Sabina.
5. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
6. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
7. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
8. Why does Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's job offer in Switzerland?
9. All her life Sabina has proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her? How has Sabina been carrying kitsch with her?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what does Tomas struggle with after Tereza returns to her small Czech town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kundera has an entire section about misunderstood words between Franz and Sabina.
1. Was misunderstandings of words what led to Franz's and Sabina's break-up or were they simply not meant to be together? Cite three examples that support your theory.
2. had Sabina and Franz really been in love, would there have been a misunderstanding of words? Cite examples to prove your theory.
Essay Topic 2
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where, and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The Grand March is a disappoint for Franz.
1. Describe the Grand March and why it led to Franz's disappointment.
2. What were Franz's feelings about the Grand March before it took place and after it was all over?
3. Why does Franz have the need for demonstrations to begin with? Site three examples from the book that support your ideas.
This section contains 2,437 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)