|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 6, looking in the mirror, why did Tereza feel disgusted by her body?
2. In chapter 1, where does Franza want to take Sabina?
3. Why did Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
4. What did Tereza propose to Sabina?
5. Sabina understood Franz's...
Short Essay Questions
1. Is reaching the lightness of being Sabina's goal?
2. How did Tereza react to her mother's phone call telling her she had cancer and only 5 months to live?
3. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
4. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
5. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
6. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
7. For Franz, what is music?
8. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
9. Describe Franz's weakness.
10. Describe Tereza's mother:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you have signed the petition to grant amnesty to all political prisoners? Why or why not? Do you agree with Tomas's reasons not to have signed the petition? What is your overall opinion about petitions?
Essay Topic 2
Sabina and Marie-Claude are two of the coolest characters in this novel.
1. Comapre and contrast the characters of Sabina and Marie-Claude. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. Has Franza chosen a mistress that has similar characteristics to that of his wife? Cite 5 examples of how Franz fails to read through the women he married and his lover.
3. Who has less compassion towards Franz, his wife or Sabina? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)