|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Sabina, what did the bowler hat NOT represent?
2. What is Franz's profession?
3. In Tereza's eyes, what did books represent?
4. Sabina did not share Franz's passion for...
5. What did Tereza propose to Sabina?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
2. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
4. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
5. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
6. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
7. Describe Tereza's mother:
8. What did Tereza feel when she stood naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographed her?
9. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
10. Is reaching the lightness of being Sabina's goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Kandera compares the behavior of animals to that of humans. Cite 3 examples where Kandera compares animals to humans and discuss his views on this subject.
2. Kandera questions why humans don't have the selfless love that exists between people and animals. Tereza, for instance, has a better love for her dog than for Tomas. Cite 3 examples of how Tereza's love for her dog Karenin is better than her love for Tomas. What actions would have made her love unconditional?
3. Tereza treats the animals she comes across well. Would she have made a good mother? How do you think her childhood experience might have influenced her relationship with her children, had she had any? Would she have been a happier more fulfilled woman had she had children?
Essay Topic 2
Tomas is a surgeon out of a deep passion and desire.
1. How many times does Tomas jeopardize his career? Cite the incidences where TOmas chooses a route that takes him further and further away from his career.
2. Tomas descends from one job to another, but he claims to Tereza at the end that he is happy. Is Tomas truly happy or pretending to be so? Cite 3 incidences that support your theory.
3. Had Tomas remained in Zurich, where his career as a surgeon flourished, would he have been better off? Or was he destined to be with Tereza and didn't really have a choice? Cite 3 incidences from the book that support your theory.
Essay Topic 3
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)