|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Milan Kundera describes Sabina as having a longing for...
2. What does Karenin hate?
3. Which one of the suitors does Tereza's mother choose as a young woman?
4. What does Tereza remember most about Dubcek's speech, the one he makes after his return from Moscow?
5. Kundera writes that Sabina is stirred by her own...
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
2. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
3. What does the article about the dogs being summarily shot in Russia signify for Tereza?
4. All her life Sabina has proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her? How has Sabina been carrying kitsch with her?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. What does this dream mean?
6. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
7. Is reaching the lightness of being Sabina's goal?
8. Describe Tereza's mother:
9. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
10. What does Tereza write in the letter that she leaves behind for Tomas in Zurich?
Essay Topic 1
The Grand March is a disappoint for Franz.
1. Describe the Grand March and why it led to Franz's disappointment.
2. What were Franz's feelings about the Grand March before it took place and after it was all over?
3. Why does Franz have the need for demonstrations to begin with? Site three examples from the book that support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Milan Kundera writes that Franz and Simon are the dreamers of this novel.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Franz and Simon. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What purpose does Franza and Simon serve in the novel? Use three events from the book where Franz and Simon's characters have an influence on the theme, and the characters, of the book.
3. Who is the bigger dreamer, Franz or Simon? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he had kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long-term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
This section contains 2,390 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)