|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tomas avoid falling in love with the women he became intimate with?
2. What novel was Tereza reading when she went to visit Tomas?
3. What happened to Tereza's father after her mother left him?
4. What did Marie-Claude do to spend her time while in the hospital?
5. What is the command Tomas uses on both Sabina and Tereza?
Short Essay Questions
1. For Franz, what is music?
2. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
3. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
4. Describe Franz's weakness.
5. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
6. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
7. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how does Sabina feel about her own unfairness towards the immigrants?
8. What were books for Tereza?
9. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
10. How did Tomas ensure that erotic friendship never grew into the aggression of love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were asked to retract a letter for the sake of saving your career, what would you do? Would you save your career or your pride? Write how Tomas's and Tereza's life would have had a different outcome if Tomas had retracted the letter.
Essay Topic 2
Sabina and Marie-Claude are two of the coolest characters in this novel.
1. Comapre and contrast the characters of Sabina and Marie-Claude. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. Has Franza chosen a mistress that has similar characteristics to that of his wife? Cite 5 examples of how Franz fails to read through the women he married and his lover.
3. Who has less compassion towards Franz, his wife or Sabina? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)