|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feelings did Sabina portray towards the immigrants she sat with?
2. Which was NOT one of the fortuities that gave Tereza the courage to leave home and change her fate?
3. Why did Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
4. What is Franz's profession?
5. Tereza has a dream where she marches around a pool of naked women who are overjoyed by their sameness. What does this part of her dream represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how does Sabina feel about her own unfairness towards the immigrants?
2. What did Tereza feel when she stood naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographed her?
3. What were books for Tereza?
4. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
6. Do you think that Tomas and Tereaz met by chance or by fate?
7. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
8. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
9. Describe Franz's weakness.
10. How did Tereza react to her mother's phone call telling her she had cancer and only 5 months to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kundera has an entire section about misunderstood words between Franz and Sabina.
1. Was misunderstandings of words what led to Franz's and Sabina's break-up or were they simply not meant to be together? Cite 3 examples that support your theory.
2. had Sabina and Franz really been in love, would there have been a misunderstanding of words? Cite examples to prove your theory.
3. In Franz's case, was there a misunderstanding of words or a misunderstanding of women? How did Franz's upbringing affect his personality? Cite 3 examples of how his upbringing influenced the relationships he ended up having with women.
Essay Topic 2
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he would have kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the question of weight and lightness is often used to describe the reason behind a character's actions. Discuss which characters are pursuing lightness, which characters are more pursuing weight. Tomas, Tereza, Franz and Sabina.
2. Recurring dreams have a strong impact on Tereza. These dreams interpret her inner struggle with Tomas's affairs. Cite 3 dreams that were particularly frightening for Tereza.
3. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera expresses quite a few observations about the Communist Regime and the people that oppose them. Cite 3 views that adrress those views.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)