Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affect does the first week of the Russian occupation have on Tereza?
2. Who does Sabina's bowler hat belong to?
3. Where does Tomas first meet Tereza?
4. What is the first piece of furniture Franz ever buys for himself?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 6, looking in the mirror, why does Tereza feel disgusted by her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. All her life Sabina has proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her? How has Sabina been carrying kitsch with her?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
3. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
4. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
5. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 16, there's a general description of Tereza's dreams. In general, what are her dreams like and what do they represent?
7. Describe why Tomas's return to Prague from Zurich is a mistake?
8. What does Tereza worry would happen if Tomas finds out about her affair with the engineer?
9. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
10. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
Imagine the possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, do Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite three examples.
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. The influence of women on the various characters: Tereza's mother on Tereza, Franz's mother on Franz, Tomas's wife on Tomas, and Simon's mother on Simon.
2. The influence of communism on the various characters: Tomas, Sabina, Simon, and Tereza.
3. The result of infidelity on Tereza, Tomas, Sabina, Franz, and Marie-Claude.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)