|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Karenin hate?
2. How did Sabina feel about Franz having told his wife of their affair?
3. What did Tereza's mother when she found Tereza's diary
4. What did Tereza do six to seven months after she and Tomas moved to Switzerland?
5. What did Sabina unexpectedly meet in the village church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Franz's weakness.
2. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
3. How did Tereza react to her mother's phone call telling her she had cancer and only 5 months to live?
4. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
5. Describe Tereza's mother:
6. For Franz, what is music?
7. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
8. Do you think that Tomas and Tereaz met by chance or by fate?
9. Describe Franz's love for Sabina.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how does Sabina feel about her own unfairness towards the immigrants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he would have kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)