|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Marie-Claud's reaction upon hearing of her husband's infidelity?
2. What happened at night that caused Tereza to fear that time of the day?
3. What may have attributed to the female puppy, Karenin, falling in love wtih Tereza rather than Tomas?
4. Why did Tereza visit Sabina's studio?
5. Why did Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
2. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
3. What were books for Tereza?
4. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
5. How did Tereza react to her mother's phone call telling her she had cancer and only 5 months to live?
6. What does the word "woman" represent for Franz?
7. For Franz, what is music?
8. Describe Franz's weakness.
9. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
10. Do you think that Tomas and Tereaz met by chance or by fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he would have kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
Essay Topic 2
Would you stay home for the sake of loved ones or travel overseas to help a country in need? Why or why not? What is more important, home and family or helping big causes? How would Franz's life ended up had he remained at home or returned safely home? What do you think happened to his mistress?
Essay Topic 3
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, does Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Had they not died, could they have had a happy relationship? Why or why not?
3. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite 3 examples.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)