|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tomas and Tereza meet?
2. What world evoked in Sabina a sweet, nostalgic memory of her homeland?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what aroma did Tereza notice on Tomas's hair?
4. What feelings did Sabina portray towards the immigrants she sat with?
5. After she returned home to her small Czech town, how did Tereza re-enter Tomas's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were books for Tereza?
2. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
3. Describe Franz's weakness.
4. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
5. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
6. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
8. Do you think that Tomas and Tereaz met by chance or by fate?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what did Tomas struggle with after Tereza returned to her small Czech town?
10. What were Tereza's dreams about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
Essay Topic 2
Tereza and Sabina are the closest women in Tomas's life.
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Tereza and Sabina. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What would have happened if Tomas and Tereza had not married and he would have kept both her and Sabina lovers? Use passages in the book to portray the relevance Sabina had in Tomas's and Tereza's life and whether it would have been beneficial for the couple for Sabina to remain in Tomas's life.
3. Should Tomas have pursued a long term relationship with Sabina rather than with Tereza? Cite passages from the book to show why Tomas may have found a more compatible person in Sabina.
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)