|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, chapter 2, why were Sabina and Tomas touched by the sight of the bowler hat?
2. Where did Tomas and Tereza meet?
3. What was Sabina's views of modern music?
4. What did Tomas initially feel when he discovered Tereza had left for Prague?
5. What did Tereza's mother forbid Tereza to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
2. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
3. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
4. What did Tereza feel when she stood naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographed her?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
6. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
7. What were Tereza's dreams about?
8. For Franz, what is music?
9. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
10. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza are brought together by fortuitous events.
1. Kandera often brings up the fortuitous events that brought Tomas and Tereza together. How many times does Kandera bring this up> What is he trying to say? Were Tereza and Tomas brought together by chance or fate?
2. Tomas questions the fortuitous events that brought him and Tereza together. Why didn't Tomas go beyond the questioning and conclude whether or not they did belong together? Was Tomas too passive in the relationship, allowing for those fortuitous events to lead the meaning of the relationship? Cite 3 examples that prove your theory.
3. Tereza holds steady to the fortuitous events that brought her to Tomas. Why does that not bring her peace? Cite 3 examples where she fully recognizes she's in an unhappy relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the question of weight and lightness is often used to describe the reason behind a character's actions. Discuss which characters are pursuing lightness, which characters are more pursuing weight. Tomas, Tereza, Franz and Sabina.
2. Recurring dreams have a strong impact on Tereza. These dreams interpret her inner struggle with Tomas's affairs. Cite 3 dreams that were particularly frightening for Tereza.
3. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera expresses quite a few observations about the Communist Regime and the people that oppose them. Cite 3 views that adrress those views.
Essay Topic 3
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, does Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite 3 incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)