|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 9, what does Sabina do after she and Franz return from Rome?
2. What did Franz feel with regards to his love for Sabina?
3. What did Tereza suffer as a result of Tomas's affairs?
4. What was Sabina's views of modern music?
5. In Part 3, chapter 2, why were Sabina and Tomas touched by the sight of the bowler hat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
2. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
3. Describe Franz's love for Sabina.
4. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
6. What did the dream about the naked women in the pool, who resembled each other and who were one by one executed by Tomas, represent?
7. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
8. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
9. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
10. How did Tereza react to her mother's phone call telling her she had cancer and only 5 months to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, does Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite 3 incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 2
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
Essay Topic 3
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)