|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of teenager was Tereza?
2. In chapter 1, where does Franza want to take Sabina?
3. What is the meaning of Tereza's secret vice, her long looks and frequent glances in the mirror?
4. What was Sabina's views of modern music?
5. What does Marie-Anne and her mother do when they have a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
2. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
3. What did Tereza feel when she stood naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographed her?
4. What does the word "woman" represent for Franz?
5. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
6. What were books for Tereza?
7. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
8. What type of daughter was Tereza? What was her lifestyle like?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what did Tomas struggle with after Tereza returned to her small Czech town?
10. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The possibility of a different outcome between Tomas and Tereza.
What could Tomas have done to help change the course of his relationship with Tereza? What could she have done differently? Why did neither one of them try to take a stronger stand with the other in an attempt to rescue the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Kandera compares the behavior of animals to that of humans. Cite 3 examples where Kandera compares animals to humans and discuss his views on this subject.
2. Kandera questions why humans don't have the selfless love that exists between people and animals. Tereza, for instance, has a better love for her dog than for Tomas. Cite 3 examples of how Tereza's love for her dog Karenin is better than her love for Tomas. What actions would have made her love unconditional?
3. Tereza treats the animals she comes across well. Would she have made a good mother? How do you think her childhood experience might have influenced her relationship with her children, had she had any? Would she have been a happier more fulfilled woman had she had children?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)