|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his lifetime, Franz has never...
2. What did Tereza suffer as a result of Tomas's affairs?
3. For Sabina, what did the bowler hat NOT represent?
4. Where did Tomas and Tereza meet?
5. What did Franz try to create for the woman he had fallen in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
2. Describe Franz's weakness.
3. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
4. What were books for Tereza?
5. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how does Sabina feel about her own unfairness towards the immigrants?
7. What did Tereza feel when she stood naked in front of Sabina as Sabina photographed her?
8. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what did Tomas struggle with after Tereza returned to her small Czech town?
10. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On a number of occasions, Tomas questions his relationship with Tereza.
1. How many times does Tomas question his relationship with Tereza? Use specific examples that include the when, where and why?
2. Had Tomas not followed Tereza back to Prague, what type of lifestyle would he have pursued?
3. Tomas dreams of a woman he has not yet met. She is the one for Tomas. What kind of woman would have been more compatible with Tomas? What prevents Tomas from letting go of Tereza to find a happier relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Tomas and Tereza's love is based on her fidelity.
1. Did Tereza's infidelity help her achieve her goal of having Tomas all to herself? What would have happened had Tereza not had an affair? Did her infidelity cure her from jealousy?
2. Tereza does not believe that Tomas would throw her out if he learns of her affair. What then would Tomas have done? How would him knowing have changed the nature of their relationship?
3. Had Tereza not given up her life to Tomas, making him certain of her fidelity, would he have fallen in love with her and married her? What does your answer say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the question of weight and lightness is often used to describe the reason behind a character's actions. Discuss which characters are pursuing lightness, which characters are more pursuing weight. Tomas, Tereza, Franz and Sabina.
2. Recurring dreams have a strong impact on Tereza. These dreams interpret her inner struggle with Tomas's affairs. Cite 3 dreams that were particularly frightening for Tereza.
3. Throughout The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera expresses quite a few observations about the Communist Regime and the people that oppose them. Cite 3 views that adrress those views.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)