|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Franz do during sex that Sabina disliked?
2. Who did Sabina's bowler hat belong to?
3. In his lifetime, Franz has never...
4. What would have caused Tereza to do anything for her mother?
5. What did Tereza's mother forbid Tereza to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Franz's weakness.
2. Describe Tereza's mother:
3. Is reaching the lightness of being Sabina's goal?
4. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the immigrant's reaction to Sabina's behavior?
6. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
7. What type of daughter was Tereza? What was her lifestyle like?
8. "That pendant is ugly," Marie-Claude says to Sabina. Why does she make such a remark?
9. What were Tereza's dreams about?
10. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza are brought together by fortuitous events.
1. Kandera often brings up the fortuitous events that brought Tomas and Tereza together. How many times does Kandera bring this up> What is he trying to say? Were Tereza and Tomas brought together by chance or fate?
2. Tomas questions the fortuitous events that brought him and Tereza together. Why didn't Tomas go beyond the questioning and conclude whether or not they did belong together? Was Tomas too passive in the relationship, allowing for those fortuitous events to lead the meaning of the relationship? Cite 3 examples that prove your theory.
3. Tereza holds steady to the fortuitous events that brought her to Tomas. Why does that not bring her peace? Cite 3 examples where she fully recognizes she's in an unhappy relationship.
Essay Topic 2
If you were in Tereza's shoes, what would you have done to survive Tomas's infidelities, assuming you did not want to leave him? Had Tomas stopped having affairs, what kind of woman would Tereza have become? What kind of relationship would they have shared? Would Tomas been able to have Tereza as the only woman in his life, or would he have discovered they were incompatible? Would having children made a difference in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
When making decisions, Tereza and Tomas do not really look long term.
1. By retiring into the country, does Tomas and Tereza draw forth their death? Could they have subconsciously wanted to die? If so, what would each of their reasons have been?
2. Had they not died, could they have had a happy relationship? Why or why not?
3. Why didn't Tomas refuse to go to the country? Given the political situation of the country, did Tomas and Tereza have any other option? Overall, would you consider Tereza selfish in her actions? Cite 3 examples.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)