|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie-Anne and her mother do when they have a party?
2. What happens to Tereza's father after her mother leaves him?
3. What makes Tomas jealous at the bar, where he and Tereza meet with friends to celebrate Tereza's promotion?
4. Why does Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
5. How does Sabina feel about Franz having told his wife of their affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tereza react to her mother's phone call telling her she has cancer and only five months to live?
2. What does Tereza worry would happen if Tomas finds out about her affair with the engineer?
3. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
4. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
5. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
6. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what is Tereza's first thought when Tomas comes back to Prague because of her?
8. In Part 5, Chapter 17, what episode both amuses and horrifies Tomas, proving that he is as tired mentally as he is physically?
9. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
10. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomas and Tereza are crushed in a car accident.
1. Did Tomas and Tereza live under a lot of weight throughout their relationship? Cite examples.
2. Kundera claims that weight represents a more realistic life. Do you agree? Is Tomas and Tereza's life more realistic than other characters in the novel, such as Sabina and Franz?
3. Throughout the novel, do Tomas and Tereza make decisions with the intent of approaching lightness or weight? What is the results? Cite three incidences where their decisions lead to lightness or weight.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1.Tomas does not sign the petition to grant amnesty to all political prisoners because he does not believe it will do any good. List three examples from the book that support Tomas's views.
2. Tomas and his son have different views about the power of words and of the article Tomas wrote. List two examples from the book that support Tomas's views and two examples that support his son's views.
3. After the petition is published, Tomas is not sure whether he had made the right decision. List three three reasons why Tomas should or should not have signed the petition.
Essay Topic 3
The Grand March is a disappoint for Franz.
1. Describe the Grand March and why it led to Franz's disappointment.
2. What were Franz's feelings about the Grand March before it took place and after it was all over?
3. Why does Franz have the need for demonstrations to begin with? Site three examples from the book that support your ideas.
This section contains 2,408 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)