|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tereza refuse the job offer as photographer?
2. Why did Tomas oppose Tereza visiting her mother when she heard she had cancer?
3. What did Franz's words about love and strength do to Sabina?
4. After she returned home to her small Czech town, how did Tereza re-enter Tomas's life?
5. What term did Tereza use to express how she felt about life with her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
2. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
3. Describe Marie-Claude's personality.
4. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what did Tomas struggle with after Tereza returned to her small Czech town?
6. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
7. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
8. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
9. Is reaching the lightness of being Sabina's goal?
10. Do you think that Tomas and Tereaz met by chance or by fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1. The influence of women on the various characters: Tereza's mother on Tereza, Franz's mother on Franz, Tomas's wife on Tomas and Simon's mother on Simon.
2. The influence of communism on the various characters: Tomas, Sabina, Simon, Tereza.
3. The result of infidelity on Tereza, Tomas, Sabina, Franz and Marie-Claude.
Essay Topic 2
If you were living in Prague during the invasion, would you have fled the country? Where would you have gone? Would you have stayed for the love of your country and fellowmen knowing you may lose your job?
Essay Topic 3
If you were in Tereza's shoes, what would you have done to survive Tomas's infidelities, assuming you did not want to leave him? Had Tomas stopped having affairs, what kind of woman would Tereza have become? What kind of relationship would they have shared? Would Tomas been able to have Tereza as the only woman in his life, or would he have discovered they were incompatible? Would having children made a difference in their relationship?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)