|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Antigone
(b) Sophocles' Oedipus
(c) Sophocles' Electra
(d) Sophocles' Philoctetes
2. What did Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
(a) a leash
(b) a roll
(d) a camera
3. In one of her dreams, what was it that Tereza saw floating downstream as she stared at the river?
(a) Prague's castles and churches
(b) Prague's street signs
(c) Prague's park benches
(d) Prague's secret police
4. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
(a) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(b) Sophocles' Oedipus
(c) Sophocles' Antigone
(d) Sophocles' Electra
5. In Part 7, Chapter 6, what animal does Tereza dream of?
(a) a horse
(b) a mouse
(c) a rabbit
(d) a dog
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work did Tomas do on the farm?
2. What did the bald headed man at the bar accuse Tereza of that caused the engineer to step in?
3. What did Tereza fear it meant by the engineer never showing up again?
4. In what condition did Tereza and Karenin find the black crow under?
5. Who does Franz end up belonging to in death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
2. What is "kitsch?"
3. All her life Sabina had proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
5. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
6. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
7. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
8. What did Tereza worry would happen if Tomas found out about her affair with the engineer?
9. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
10. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)