|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Tomas realize the strange man was interrogating him?
(a) when he asked to meet him alone after work
(b) when he offered him a job with the government
(c) when he asked for the editor's name
(d) when he asked him very personal questions
2. What path did Simon take that he believed his father secretly agreed with?
(a) married with children
(b) a practicing Catholic
(c) an anti-communist
(d) working on a collective farm
3. What did Franz come to realize was his real life?
(a) his student-mistress
(d) his wife and daughter
4. Sabina liked America...
(a) only when she went there with Franz
(b) because she had no trouble selling her paintings
(c) only on the surface
(d) because it gave her complete freedom
5. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
(a) Ministry of Education
(b) Ministry of the Interior
(c) Ministry of Culture
(d) Ministry of Health
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
2. When the engineer undressed Tereza, how did she respond?
3. What was the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
4. In Part 7, Chapter 6, what animal does Tereza dream of?
5. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
2. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
3. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
4. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
5. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
6. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
7. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
8. In Part 5, Chapter 17, what episode both amuses and horrifies Tomas, proving that he is as tired mentally as he is physically?
9. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
10. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)