|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
2. Sabina liked America...
(a) only when she went there with Franz
(b) because she had no trouble selling her paintings
(c) because it gave her complete freedom
(d) only on the surface
3. What concerned Tomas about moving to the country?
(a) he would never be able to escape Tereza
(b) he could no longer practice medicine
(c) he would have difficulty finding a new woman every week
(d) he would be bored by the slow lifestyle
4. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what did Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
(a) someone wise
(b) someone very tired
(c) someone kind
(d) someone broken
5. In Tereza's dream, what did Karenin give birth to?
(a) rolls, milk and butter
(b) a cow and a pig
(c) bees and honey
(d) two rolls and a bee
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tomas's reaction when one of his mistresses reminded him of an intimate incident he couldn't recall?
2. At the end of the novel, Tereza feels that if she really had loved Tomas with a great love, she would have...
3. What happened when the interpreter that headed the march requested permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
4. What did Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
5. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
2. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
3. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
4. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
5. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
6. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
7. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
8. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
9. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
10. In Part 5, Chapter 17, what episode both amuses and horrifies Tomas, proving that he is as tired mentally as he is physically?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)