|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the chief surgeon request of Tomas?
(a) not to make a public retraction of his past statement
(b) to make a public retraction of his past statement
(c) to consider his family when making a public retraction
(d) to consider his colleagues when deciding whether or not to make the retraction
2. How did the engineer respond to Tereza's resistance?
(a) He asked her if she wanted to stop
(b) He soothed her by stroking her face
(c) He became frustrated and hostile
(d) He pressed himself onto her even harder
3. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
(a) he was afraid of losing his job
(b) he wanted time to convince himself to sign
(c) he wanted to first talk it over with Tereza
(d) He feared they would print the statement with or without his consent
4. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
(a) Sophocles' Electra
(b) Sophocles' Antigone
(c) Sophocles' Oedipus
(d) Sophocles' Philoctetes
5. What type of work did Tomas do on the farm?
(a) drove a truck
(b) looked after the cows
(c) raised pigs
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tomas promised if he made the retraction?
2. How did Tomas feel after the petition was published?
3. What helped ease Tereza's anxiety when she entered the engineer's house?
4. Who were many of Tomas's private customers?
5. What did Tereza long to end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the article about the dogs being summarily shot in Russia signify for Tereza?
2. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
3. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
4. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
5. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
6. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
7. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
8. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
9. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
10. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)