|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Franz end up belonging to in death?
(a) his student-mistress
(c) his wife
2. What did the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
(a) to tell the truth about who the editor was
(b) to transfer to another clinic
(c) to make a public apology
(d) to sign a letter
3. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what did Tereza want to tell Tomas on their way back to Prague?
(a) she wanted them to move to the country
(b) she wanted to quit her job at the bar
(c) to do something that would help stop her jealousy
(d) about her affair with the engineer
5. Why didn't Tomas and Tereza have children?
(a) Tomas did not want them
(b) Tereza could not have children
(c) Tereza did not want them
(d) Tomas could not have children
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
2. What did the U.S. Senator Sabina was riding with consider happiness?
3. What had Simon done since childhood?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what did Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 8, what did Tereza know had become of her and Tomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
2. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
3. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
4. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
5. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
6. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
7. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
8. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
9. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
10. What does the article about the dogs being summarily shot in Russia signify for Tereza?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)