|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 8, what did Tereza know had become of her and Tomas?
(a) She had become a burdon on him
(b) Their love had died
(c) They had become a burdon on each other
(d) He grew more and more distant as time went on
2. How did Tomas's hospital colleagues react when he saw Tomas at the window shop?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why was it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
(a) the town's sign posts had disappeared because during the invasion people pulled them down
(b) the town was still very affected by the days of the Soviet invasion
(c) the hotel where they normally stayed resembled a miniature Russia
(d) all its street signs were taken from Russian geography and history
4. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
5. What type of work did Tomas do on the farm?
(a) raised pigs
(b) drove a truck
(c) looked after the cows
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Tomas's son as a result of the petition campaign?
2. What helped ease Tereza's anxiety when she entered the engineer's house?
3. What did Tereza fear it meant by the engineer never showing up again?
4. What did Tomas feel the first day he reported to the window washer job?
5. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what did Tereza brood about?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
2. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
3. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
4. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
5. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
6. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
7. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
8. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
9. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
10. Does Tomas make a mistake by returning to Prague from Zurich?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)