|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sabina liked America...
(a) only on the surface
(b) because it gave her complete freedom
(c) only when she went there with Franz
(d) because she had no trouble selling her paintings
2. What were Soviet films saturated with?
(a) political themes
(b) family sagas
(c) incredible innocense and chastity
(d) conflict and resolution
3. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
(a) Ministry of Health
(b) Ministry of Culture
(c) Ministry of Education
(d) Ministry of the Interior
4. What had Simon done since childhood?
(a) be angry with his father
(b) forgave his father's wrongdoings
(c) believe that his mother was the victim in the relationship
(d) searched for his father
5. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
(a) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(b) Sophocles' Antigone
(c) Sophocles' Oedipus
(d) Sophocles' Electra
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza understand the benches floating downstream to mean in her dream?
2. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
3. What type of work did Tomas do on the farm?
4. What happened when the interpreter that headed the march requested permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
5. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
2. What does the article about the dogs being summarily shot in Russia signify for Tereza?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
4. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
5. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
6. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
7. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
8. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
9. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
10. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)