|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 7, Chapter 6, what animal does Tereza dream of?
(a) a horse
(b) a dog
(c) a mouse
(d) a rabbit
2. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
(a) Ministry of Culture
(b) Ministry of the Interior
(c) Ministry of Education
(d) Ministry of Health
3. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Electra
(b) Sophocles' Antigone
(c) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(d) Sophocles' Oedipus
4. Why was Tomas called to the editor's office?
(a) editor requested the removal of one of the sentences from the article
(b) editer wanted Tomas to cut the article to a third
(c) editor suggested Tomas change word order in one of the sentences
(d) editor wanted Tomas to sign a permission slip
5. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
(a) the manner in which their statesmen beamed from the height of their reviewing stand
(b) the maske of beauty if tried to wear
(c) the way they transformed ruined castles into cow sheds
(d) the way they showed affection to children when in front of cameras, in order to influence people
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
2. How did Tomas feel about his window washing job after a while?
3. What did Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 2, who does the author attribute the works of the Communist regime of Central Europe?
5. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
2. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
3. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
5. What is "kitsch?"
6. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
7. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
8. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
9. Does Tomas make a mistake by returning to Prague from Zurich?
10. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)