|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
(a) She wonders if she could leave Tomas for him
(b) She longs for him to come to the bar and invite her back
(c) She hopes she could find a way to forget about him
(d) She prays she will never see him again
2. What Czech text was written on the poster hanging on the editor's wall?
(a) Free Intellectuals from Going into Prison
(b) Help Politcal Prisoners
(c) End the Russian Occupation
(d) Have you signed the Two Thousand Words?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why was it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
(a) all its street signs were taken from Russian geography and history
(b) the town's sign posts had disappeared because during the invasion people pulled them down
(c) the hotel where they normally stayed resembled a miniature Russia
(d) the town was still very affected by the days of the Soviet invasion
4. How did Tereza feel about Tomas's son?
(a) she was upset Tomas had never mentioned him before
(b) she wanted to go visit him and his family
(c) she wanted Tomas to invite him over
(d) she prefered they let him alone
5. What distinguished the woman Tomas met in chapter 10 from other women?
(a) She had a masculine voice
(b) She had red hair
(c) She was taller than him
(d) She was very plump
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tomas feel about his window washing job after a while?
2. For Karenin, everything that came from Tereza was...
3. What were Soviet films saturated with?
4. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
5. What privilege did Tomas want to grant Karenin that was forbidden to humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
2. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
3. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
4. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
5. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
6. In Part 5, Chapter 17, what episode both amuses and horrifies Tomas, proving that he is as tired mentally as he is physically?
7. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
8. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
9. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
10. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)