|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the chief surgeon request of Tomas?
(a) to consider his colleagues when deciding whether or not to make the retraction
(b) to consider his family when making a public retraction
(c) to make a public retraction of his past statement
(d) not to make a public retraction of his past statement
2. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
(a) She prays she will never see him again
(b) She hopes she could find a way to forget about him
(c) She longs for him to come to the bar and invite her back
(d) She wonders if she could leave Tomas for him
3. Why didn't Tomas and Tereza have children?
(a) Tereza could not have children
(b) Tomas could not have children
(c) Tereza did not want them
(d) Tomas did not want them
4. What did Tereza long to end?
(a) her weakness
(b) her insecurities
(c) her jealousy
(d) her dependence on Tomas
5. What was the only reason Simon became involved with the editor?
(a) the editor's fate reminded him of his father
(b) he knew the could help his father regain his job
(c) he really believed in the idea of helping political prisoners
(d) he knew he would be able to convince his father to sign the petition
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
2. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
3. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what did Tereza want to tell Tomas on their way back to Prague?
4. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
5. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "kitsch?"
2. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
3. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
4. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
5. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
6. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
7. Was Tomas right in not having signed the petition?
8. All her life Sabina had proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her?
9. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
10. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)