|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Tomas called to the editor's office?
(a) editor suggested Tomas change word order in one of the sentences
(b) editor wanted Tomas to sign a permission slip
(c) editer wanted Tomas to cut the article to a third
(d) editor requested the removal of one of the sentences from the article
2. Standing in the anteroom, what saved Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
(a) his arrogance
(b) his crude manners
(c) his harsh voice
(d) his unpleasant voice
3. In Part 6, Chapter 11, who does Sabina claim is her enemy?
(b) Czech immigrants
4. What did Tomas hint to the doctor after he informed him that he would not retract his statement?
(a) that a threat by all his colleagues to resign would sufface
(b) to find him another way where he could clear up his name
(c) to stand up to those pressuring him to make a retraction
(d) to find him a good job replacement
5. What did the chief surgeon request of Tomas?
(a) to consider his family when making a public retraction
(b) not to make a public retraction of his past statement
(c) to make a public retraction of his past statement
(d) to consider his colleagues when deciding whether or not to make the retraction
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
2. What path did Simon take that he believed his father secretly agreed with?
3. What did Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
5. How did Tomas end up being a window washer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
3. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
4. What is "kitsch?"
5. What did Tereza worry would happen if Tomas found out about her affair with the engineer?
6. All her life Sabina had proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her?
7. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
8. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
9. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
10. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)