|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Standing in the anteroom, what saved Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
(a) his harsh voice
(b) his crude manners
(c) his unpleasant voice
(d) his arrogance
2. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
(a) Two hundred
(c) a hundred
(d) four hundred
3. What privilege did Tomas want to grant Karenin that was forbidden to humans?
(a) death in the guise of his loved ones
(b) unconditional love
(c) a peaceful death
4. What did Tereza's suggestion about moving to the country do to Tomas?
5. How did Tomas feel after the petition was published?
(a) he considered writing an article about the petition
(b) he questioned whether or not he should have signed
(c) he was glad he had not signed
(d) he wished he had signed
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what did Tereza brood about?
2. What helped ease Tereza's anxiety when she entered the engineer's house?
3. For Karenin, everything that came from Tereza was...
4. What was the only reason Simon became involved with the editor?
5. What type of work did Tomas do on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
2. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
3. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
4. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
5. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
6. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
7. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
8. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
9. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what incident with one of his lovers, who he always took to his friend's house, causes Tomas to be appalled?
10. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)