|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tereza feel about Tomas's son?
(a) she prefered they let him alone
(b) she wanted Tomas to invite him over
(c) she was upset Tomas had never mentioned him before
(d) she wanted to go visit him and his family
2. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
(a) a poetic scene
(b) happy memories
(c) a surrender
3. What type of work did Tomas do on the farm?
(a) raised pigs
(c) drove a truck
(d) looked after the cows
4. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what did Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
(a) someone wise
(b) someone very tired
(c) someone kind
(d) someone broken
5. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Electra
(b) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(c) Sophocles' Antigone
(d) Sophocles' Oedipus
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tomas's hospital colleagues react when he saw Tomas at the window shop?
2. What did the bald headed man at the bar accuse Tereza of that caused the engineer to step in?
3. What episode proved that Tomas was as tired mentally as physically - from having too many erotic engagements?
4. What was the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
5. What happened when the interpreter that headed the march requested permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Franz realize at the end of his trip to Cambodia?
2. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
3. All her life Sabina had proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But, Kundera asks, hasn't she in fact been carrying it with her?
4. What does the article about the dogs being summarily shot in Russia signify for Tereza?
5. Does Tomas make a mistake by returning to Prague from Zurich?
6. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
7. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
8. Kundera claims that the way Tomas rushes into the decision to leave the clinic seems rather odd. He asks, could it perhaps conceal something else, something deeper that escapes Toma s's reasoning? What is the answer to his question?
9. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
10. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)