|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
2. What did Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
(a) that it was a good thing not to have children
(b) that the world was a cruel place
(c) a reflection of her own fate
(d) that the world was a lonely place
3. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
(a) four hundred
(b) Two hundred
(d) a hundred
4. What did Tomas hint to the doctor after he informed him that he would not retract his statement?
(a) to stand up to those pressuring him to make a retraction
(b) that a threat by all his colleagues to resign would sufface
(c) to find him another way where he could clear up his name
(d) to find him a good job replacement
5. In Part 6, Chapter 11, who does Sabina claim is her enemy?
(c) Czech immigrants
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were many of Tomas's private customers?
2. In one of her dreams, what was it that Tereza saw floating downstream as she stared at the river?
3. What did the chief surgeon request of Tomas?
4. What did Tomas catch Tereza do that upset him?
5. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tomas's work at the clinic.
2. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
3. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
4. Is it Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
6. Why does Tomas resign from the clinic?
7. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
8. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
9. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
10. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)