|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distinguished the woman Tomas met in chapter 10 from other women?
(a) She was very plump
(b) She had red hair
(c) She had a masculine voice
(d) She was taller than him
2. What did Tomas hint to the doctor after he informed him that he would not retract his statement?
(a) to find him a good job replacement
(b) to find him another way where he could clear up his name
(c) that a threat by all his colleagues to resign would sufface
(d) to stand up to those pressuring him to make a retraction
3. How did Tomas feel about his window washing job after a while?
(b) he enjoyed hit
(c) he hated it
(d) pity for himself
4. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Antigone
(b) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(c) Sophocles' Oedipus
(d) Sophocles' Electra
5. What was the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
(a) making love on a rug while there was a storm outside
(b) making love in a bathtub while there was a storm outside
(c) making love on the kitchen floor
(d) making love on a special quilt she'd made
Short Answer Questions
1. For Karenin, everything that came from Tereza was...
2. How did Tomas end up being a window washer?
3. What did the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
4. What was Franz's initial reaction when he was invited to go to Cambodia?
5. What happened to Tomas's son as a result of the petition campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 17, what episode both amuses and horrifies Tomas, proving that he is as tired mentally as he is physically?
2. Once she's in his home, how does Tereza behave that announces she does not condone what is happening (the lovemaking) between her and the engineer?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 10, what distinguishes the women who looks like a giraffe and a stork from others?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. Has she subconsciously renounced responsibility for her actions in order to proceed with what she wants to do?
5. When talking to his son, Simon, what is Tomas's attitude about the article he had written?
6. What does the ambassador tell Tereza is the three functions of the secret police?
7. Why does Tereza yearn to make love to other men?
8. In Part 7, Chapter 4, why does Tereza think that her love for Karenin is better than the love between her and Tomas?
9. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
10. Prior to suggesting they move there, what experience has Tereza had with country life?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)