|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sabina feel about Franz having told his wife of their affair?
2. Tereza has a dream where she marches around a pool of naked women who are overjoyed by their sameness. What does this part of her dream represent?
(a) Her fear that one day Tomas will not recognize her from among his many women.
(b) Her desire to be as strong as other women.
(c) Her need to escape her mother's world, where all bodies are equal.
(d) Her fear that once she has an affair, she will resemble Tomas's other women.
3. Where does Tomas first meet Tereza?
(a) He meets her at the train station where she works.
(b) He meets her at the bar during his lunch break.
(c) He meets her at a hotel they're both staying at.
(d) He meets her at the hotel restaurant where she works.
4. What does Tereza suffer as a result of Tomas's affairs?
(a) Upset stomachs.
5. What did Marie-Claude threaten her husband with twenty years prior?
(a) She threatened to commit suicide.
(b) She threatened him with a divorce.
(c) She threatened to get revenge for an affair he'd had.
(d) She threatened to have an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tereza remember most about Dubcek's speech, the one he makes after his return from Moscow?
2. What affect does the first week of the Russian occupation have on Tereza?
3. What would cause Tereza to do anything for her mother?
4. What does Franz try to create for the woman he has fallen in love with?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 1, where does Franz want to take Sabina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tereza's relationship with her body?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. What does this dream mean?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what is Tereza's first thought when Tomas comes back to Prague because of her?
5. Describe Simon's relationship with his mother.
6. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
7. Do you think that Tomas and Tereza met by chance or by fate?
8. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
9. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
10. Describe Tomas's experience as a window washer.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)