|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Tereza better understand photography?
(a) The engineer.
(c) Her mother.
2. Sabina understands Franz's...
(a) His desire to fight Communism.
(b) Distaste for America.
(c) His love for his wife and daughter.
(d) His need to be a part of her world.
3. What does Franz try to create for the woman he has fallen in love with?
(a) An independent space for her in his life.
(b) An adventerous lifestyle that would keep her from getting bored with him.
(c) The perfect relationship, in order that she would never have a reason to leave him.
(d) A warm and trusting atmosphere she could always turn to.
4. Why does Tereza's mother marry Tereza's father?
(a) She wants to leave her father's home as quickly as possible.
(b) She falls madly in love with him.
(c) She gets pregnant.
(d) He is the best option for her.
5. Where does Tomas first meet Tereza?
(a) He meets her at the hotel restaurant where she works.
(b) He meets her at a hotel they're both staying at.
(c) He meets her at the bar during his lunch break.
(d) He meets her at the train station where she works.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Franz when he starts living alone in a tiny flat?
2. Which is NOT one of the objects that gives Tereza the courage to leave home and change her fate?
3. What feelings does Sabina portray towards the immigrants she sat with?
4. What novel is Tereza reading when she visits Tomas?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what aroma does Tereza notice on Tomas's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Franz's weakness.
2. For Franz, what is music?
3. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
4. After making love to the engineer, what does Tereza desire to do?
5. What are books for Tereza?
6. Why does Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's job offer in Switzerland?
7. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
8. In the end, Tereza knows she has reached her goals. What are her goals?
9. How do people react as Tomas tries to decide whether or not to retract his article?
10. What is Sabina's views on conflict?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)