|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tomas attracted to Tereza?
(a) She is submissive.
(b) He opens up to her like he does with no one else.
(c) Her beauty is unlike any other.
(d) She seems like a child to him.
2. What makes Tomas jealous at the bar, where he and Tereza meet with friends to celebrate Tereza's promotion?
(a) Tereza talking to a complete stranger.
(b) Tereza flirting with a colleague.
(c) Tereza whispering something into his colleague's ear.
(d) Tereza dancing with a colleague.
3. What is Sabina's view of modern music?
(a) It lacks the rhythm and beat that American music has.
(b) She dislikes it because it remindes her of the occupation.
(c) It is loud noise masked as music.
(d) She dislikes it because it is difficult to dance to.
4. What does Tereza do six to seven months after she and Tomas move to Switzerland?
(a) She returns to live with her mother.
(b) She returns to Prague.
(c) She gets a job as a photographer.
(d) She pays Sabina a visit.
5. What does Franz like to take part in?
(a) Giving political lectures.
(c) Writing political articles
(d) Getting involved with peace organizations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing that Tereza's mother does not allow to exist in her home?
2. What does Tereza try to see herself through?
3. Milan Kundera describes Sabina as having a longing for...
4. What is the meaning of Tereza's long looks and frequent glances in the mirror?
5. What is Franz's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a dream where she admits to the executioner that it wasn't her choice to come to the hill to die. What does this dream mean?
2. How could it be interpreted as Tereza's fault that Tomas had to leave his profession and ended up a truck driver in the country?
3. What is at stake if Tomas does not retract the article he wrote?
4. Kundera writes, whenever a single political movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of totalitarian kitsch. What does he mean by the word "totalitarian?"
5. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
6. How does Tereza react to her mother's phone call telling her she has cancer and only five months to live?
7. Why does Franz change his mind and decide to go to Cambodia?
8. In Part 5, Chapter 17, what episode both amuses and horrifies Tomas, proving that he is as tired mentally as he is physically?
9. Why does Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's job offer in Switzerland?
10. What causes Tereza to suspect the engineer was sent by the secret police?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)