|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Tomas attracted to Tereza?
(a) He opened up to her like he did with no one else
(b) She was submissive
(c) Her beauty was unlike any other
(d) She seemed a child to him
2. What may have attributed to the female puppy, Karenin, falling in love wtih Tereza rather than Tomas?
(a) Tomas's long absence from home
(b) Being given a boy's name
(c) Tereza's familiarity with pets
(d) Tereza's attachment to the dog
3. Franz had given up scores of women because of what misunderstanding?
(a) He had been affraid of wounding his wife
(b) He thought being a virtuous and faithful man would help improve his marriage
(c) He thought his wife had been faithful to him
(d) He was afraid he could not keep a secret
4. Which one of the suitors did Tereza's mother choose when she was a young woman?
(a) The most manly
(b) The wittiest
(c) The most athletic
(d) The one who recited verses
5. Tereza has a dream where she marches around a pool of naked women who are overjoyed by their sameness. What does this part of her dream represent?
(a) The desire to be as strong as other women
(b) Her need to escape her mother's world, where all bodies are equal
(c) The fear that once she has an affair, she will resemble Tomas's other women
(d) Her fear that one day Tomas will not recognize her from among his many women
Short Answer Questions
1. Sabina is stirred by her own...
2. What was the first piece of furniture Franz ever bought for himself?
3. What was Tereza training for since childhood?
4. Sabina understood Franz's...
5. In general, what did Sabina have a longing for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Franz take part in every possible demonstration in Paris?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what did Tomas struggle with after Tereza returned to her small Czech town?
3. Describe Franz's love for Sabina.
4. In Part 4, Chapter 3, describe the meeting of the the crowd of umbrellas in the street which Tereza encounters.
5. How did Tomas ensure that erotic friendship never grew into the aggression of love?
6. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
7. For Franz, what is music?
8. What did the bowler hat represent for Sabina?
9. What did the dream about the naked women in the pool, who resembled each other and who were one by one executed by Tomas, represent?
10. Do you think that Tomas and Tereaz met by chance or by fate?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)