|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Marie-Claude so rude to Sabina?
(a) Because that's the type of person she is
(b) To get revenge on her husband, who she knew loves Sabina
(c) To take revenge on Sabina, who she knew was having an affair with her husband, by embarrassing her
(d) To make clear to Sabina (and others) what the real balance of power was between the two of them
2. Why did Tereza's mother marryTereza's father
(a) She wanted to leave her father's home
(b) She got pregnant
(c) She was the best option of her suitors
(d) She loved him
3. What happened once Tomas followed Tereza to Prague?
(a) He fell deeper in love with her
(b) He questioned their love
(c) He apologized for his affairs
(d) He was happy to be back in Prague
4. Why did Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
(a) She caem down with the flu
(b) She sprained her ankle
(c) She asked to stay, dreading returning to her mother's home
(d) He invited her to stay
5. What did Tereza's mother forbid Tereza to do?
(a) Live with Tomas
(b) Go out with friends
(c) Lock the bathroom door
(d) Spend time alone in her room
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of Tereza's secret vice, her long looks and frequent glances in the mirror?
2. What did Tereza propose to Sabina?
3. What type of teenager was Tereza?
4. What was Marie-Claud's reaction upon hearing of her husband's infidelity?
5. Why did Tereza refuse the job offer as photographer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how does Sabina feel about her own unfairness towards the immigrants?
2. What did the dream about the naked women in the pool, who resembled each other and who were one by one executed by Tomas, represent?
3. What does the word "woman" represent for Franz?
4. How did Tomas ensure that erotic friendship never grew into the aggression of love?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what did Tomas struggle with after Tereza returned to her small Czech town?
6. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
7. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
9. Describe Franz's love for Sabina.
10. How did Tereza react to her mother's phone call telling her she had cancer and only 5 months to live?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)