|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Franz say about New York?
(a) The height of its buildings is disturbing
(b) It is very youthful
(c) Its beauty is unintentional
(d) Its beauty is not original
2. Whose quartet is based on the following two motifs: "Must it be?" "It must be."
3. Why did Tomas oppose Tereza visiting her mother when she heard she had cancer?
(a) He discovered her mother was lying.
(b) He knew Tereza was lying.
(c) He disliked her mother and worried she'd cause trouble between him and Tereza
(d) He feared Tereza was using this as an excuse to leave him
4. What is Franz's attitude when it comes to love and strength
(a) Using one's strength on a loved one is considered violence
(b) Being in love makes one strong
(c) Love means renouncing strength
(d) Strong people don't know how to love
5. What would have caused Tereza to do anything for her mother?
(a) Her mother showing any kind of approval for a change
(b) Her mother asking for forgiveness
(c) Her mother having asked in a loving voice
(d) Her mother having admitted her wrongdoing
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza propose to Sabina?
2. What is the command Tomas uses on both Sabina and Tereza?
3. With regards to love, what was Sabina's nature?
4. When was the only time Tereza and Tomas could talk to each other when they worked opposite shifts?
5. What does Marie-Anne and her mother do when they have a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. For Franz, what is music?
2. What argument does Tereza use when she rejects the offer to take photos of a cactus?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what did Tomas struggle with after Tereza returned to her small Czech town?
4. What happens to Franz after Sabina leaves him for good?
5. Describe Tereza's mother:
6. In Part 3, Chapter 4, how does Sabina feel about her own unfairness towards the immigrants?
7. What did Tereza write in the letter that she'd left for Tomas in Zurich?
8. Why did Tomas initially reject the Swiss doctor's office to in Switzerland?
9. How does Franz expect Marie-Claude to react to his confession about his affairs and how does she actually respond?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 29, what were Tereza's first thought when Tomas had come back to Prague because of her?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)