|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 5, chapter 19, what did the editor say to Tomas when he approached him?
(a) Don't try the old-pals act on us!
(b) Watch out! We're being filmed!
(c) Careful! Don't come any closer!
(d) If you talk to us, you'll face interrogation!
2. Tomas had come to medicine by...
(c) a deep desire
(d) need for prestige
3. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what did Tereza want to tell Tomas on their way back to Prague?
(a) she wanted to quit her job at the bar
(b) she wanted them to move to the country
(c) about her affair with the engineer
(d) to do something that would help stop her jealousy
4. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what did Tereza brood about?
(a) Tomas's continuous fidelity
(b) Naked pictures of her and the engineer
(c) If she should pay the engineer a visit
(d) Why the engineer never returned to the bar
5. What Czech text was written on the poster hanging on the editor's wall?
(a) Free Intellectuals from Going into Prison
(b) Have you signed the Two Thousand Words?
(c) Help Politcal Prisoners
(d) End the Russian Occupation
6. What happened to Tomas's son as a result of the petition campaign?
(a) he decided to leave Prague
(b) he decided to move to the country
(c) he was expelled from university
(d) he lost his job
7. In Part 4, Chapter 8, what did Tereza know had become of her and Tomas?
(a) She had become a burdon on him
(b) He grew more and more distant as time went on
(c) Their love had died
(d) They had become a burdon on each other
8. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
(a) Ministry of Education
(b) Ministry of Health
(c) Ministry of the Interior
(d) Ministry of Culture
9. Who does Franz end up belonging to in death?
(a) his student-mistress
(d) his wife
10. How did Tereza feel about Tomas's son?
(a) she was upset Tomas had never mentioned him before
(b) she prefered they let him alone
(c) she wanted to go visit him and his family
(d) she wanted Tomas to invite him over
11. In Part 7, Chapter 6, what animal does Tereza dream of?
(a) a horse
(b) a dog
(c) a mouse
(d) a rabbit
12. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
(a) leading demonstrations
(b) performing surgery on people
(c) writing articles
(d) digging a half-buried crow out of the ground
13. What was Tomas's reaction when one of his mistresses reminded him of an intimate incident he couldn't recall?
(b) he thought it funny
14. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
(a) the way they transformed ruined castles into cow sheds
(b) the way they showed affection to children when in front of cameras, in order to influence people
(c) the manner in which their statesmen beamed from the height of their reviewing stand
(d) the maske of beauty if tried to wear
15. What did making love with the engineer in the absence of love do to Tereza?
(a) it liberated her
(b) it confined her soul
(c) it darkened her soul's sight
(d) it restored her soul's sight
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza feel she was doing by going to the engineer's house?
2. Who were many of Tomas's private customers?
3. What did Tereza's suggestion about moving to the country do to Tomas?
4. Why did Franzy initially reject the invitation to march in Cambodia?
5. What had Simon done since childhood?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)