Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Standing in the anteroom, what saves Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
(a) His unpleasant voice.
(b) His arrogance.
(c) His crude manners.
(d) His harsh voice.
2. How does Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
(a) He is tall.
(b) He is skinny.
(c) He is short.
(d) He is fat.
3. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what does Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
(a) Someone very tired.
(b) Someone broken.
(c) Someone kind.
(d) Someone wise.
4. In Part 7, What does Tomas catch Tereza doing that upsets him?
(a) Her reading his letters.
(b) Her making a grave for Karenin.
(c) Her giving Karenin chocolate.
(d) Her searching his desk.
5. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel bar?
(a) From the start of their relationship, she had tried to get him away from Sabina.
(b) She is very happy they are finally together alone.
(c) It is her fault he ended up in the country.
(d) She regrets having been so jealous all those years.
6. How does Tomas end up being a window washer?
(a) He has conversation about Communists which is wired and publicized.
(b) He does not sign a letter the secret police requests of him.
(c) He says terrible things about the secret police in front of the man from the Ministry.
(d) He signs a petition.
7. What is Tereza's and Tomas's love supported on?
(a) Her fidelity.
(b) Her innocent ways.
(c) Her honesty.
(d) Her sense of justice.
8. The man who visits Tomas at the clinic where Tomas is a general practitioner introduces himself as from...
(a) The Ministry of Culture.
(b) The Ministry of Health.
(c) The Ministry of the Interior.
(d) The Ministry of Education.
9. What path does Simon take that he believes his father secretly agrees with?
(a) He marries with children.
(b) He works on a collective farm.
(c) He becomes a practicing Catholic.
(d) He becomes anti-communist.
10. The image of the abandoned child Tomas has of Tereza reflects on which ancient myth?
(a) Sophocles' Electra.
(b) Sophocles' Oedipus.
(c) Sophocles' Philoctetes.
(d) Sophocles' Antigone.
11. When asked to sign the letter, why doesn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
(a) He fears they will print the statement with or without his consent.
(b) He wants time to convince himself to sign.
(c) He wants to first talk it over with Tereza.
(d) He is afraid of losing his job.
12. Why does Tomas's son write a letter to Tomas during the time they are living in the country?
(a) He wants his father to focus his eyes on his life.
(b) He wants to visit him.
(c) He misses him terribly.
(d) He wants his father to know his wife and children.
13. What does Tereza understand the objects floating downstream to mean in her dream?
(a) She is no longer going to be a burden to Tomas.
(b) Something bad is about to happen.
(c) A death.
(d) A farewell.
14. What does the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
(a) He wants him to transfer to another clinic.
(b) He wants him to sign a letter.
(c) He wants him to make a public apology.
(d) He wants him to tell the truth about who the editor was.
15. In Part 5, Chapter 23, Tomas has a dream of a woman he'd never met before. Who is she?
(a) She is the woman who will rescue him from Tereza.
(b) She is the woman of his dreams.
(c) She is the woman who will get him his job back.
(d) She is the woman who he will be forever faithful to.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the novel, Tereza feels that if she really had loved Tomas with a great love...
2. Who does Franz end up belonging to in death?
3. What does Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why is it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
5. Why does Franzy reject the invitation to march in Cambodia?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)