|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tomas catch Tereza do that upset him?
(a) make a grave for Karenin
(b) give Karenin chocolate
(c) search his desk
(d) read his letters
2. Why did Tereza respond as she did to the engineer's advances?
(a) She refused to take any responsibility for what was happening
(b) She hoped to quickly get through the experience
(c) She wanted to stop herself from making a mistake
(d) She didn't want the engineer to fall in love with her
3. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
(a) a poetic scene
(b) a surrender
(c) happy memories
4. For Karenin, everything that came from Tereza was...
(d) the truth
5. What path did Simon take that he believed his father secretly agreed with?
(a) married with children
(b) an anti-communist
(c) working on a collective farm
(d) a practicing Catholic
6. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
(a) Ministry of the Interior
(b) Ministry of Education
(c) Ministry of Culture
(d) Ministry of Health
7. How did Tereza feel in the country?
8. The difference between Tereza and other women is that Tereza had come to Tomas...
(c) with confidence
9. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
(a) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(b) Sophocles' Antigone
(c) Sophocles' Electra
(d) Sophocles' Oedipus
10. How did Tomas end up being a window washer?
(a) by saying terrible things about the secret police in front of the man from the Ministry
(b) by having his conversation about Communists wired and publicized
(c) by not signing a letter the secret police requested of him
(d) by signing a petition
11. Why did Tomas's son write a letter to Tomas when they were living in the country?
(a) he wanted to visit him
(b) he wanted his father to know his wife and children
(c) he wanted his father to focus his eyes on his life
(d) he missed him terribly
12. What was Tereza's and Tomas's love supported on?
(a) Her sense of justice
(b) Her honesty
(c) Her innocent ways
(d) Her fidelity
13. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what did Tereza want to tell Tomas on their way back to Prague?
(a) to do something that would help stop her jealousy
(b) about her affair with the engineer
(c) she wanted to quit her job at the bar
(d) she wanted them to move to the country
14. What helped ease Tereza's anxiety when she entered the engineer's house?
(a) Seeing he had book shelves
(b) Listening to Beethoven
(c) Drinking a glass of wine
(d) Having a cup of soup
15. What episode proved that Tomas was as tired mentally as physically - from having too many erotic engagements?
(a) forgetting about an engagement he had made that same day
(b) running into one of his recent lovers and not recognizing who she was
(c) Get sick at one of the woman's homes
(d) scheduling an engagement on a Sunday, Tereza's and his only day off
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sabina rebel agains?
2. The author describes kitsch as the absolute denial of
3. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
4. What distinguished the woman Tomas met in chapter 10 from other women?
5. What did Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)