|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Tomas promised if he made the retraction?
(a) he could keep his job at the hospital
(b) the letter will be filed away and never leaked out
(c) he would get a promotion
(d) he would be able to ransfer to another hospital
2. When the engineer undressed Tereza, how did she respond?
(a) She assisted him
(b) She resisted him
(d) She asked him to stop
3. What did Tomas feel the first day he reported to the window washer job?
4. For Karenin, everything that came from Tereza was...
(a) the truth
5. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
(a) a poetic scene
(b) a surrender
(c) happy memories
6. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what did Tereza brood about?
(a) If she should pay the engineer a visit
(b) Naked pictures of her and the engineer
(c) Why the engineer never returned to the bar
(d) Tomas's continuous fidelity
7. What did the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
(a) to tell the truth about who the editor was
(b) to sign a letter
(c) to transfer to another clinic
(d) to make a public apology
8. What did Tereza fear it meant by the engineer never showing up again?
(a) He was sent by one of Tomas's women
(b) He was sent by the secret police
(c) He was sent by the drunk bald headed man
(d) He was sick minded and had lured her there to take pictures
9. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
(a) He was fat
(b) He was tall
(c) He was short
(d) He was skinny
10. What did Tereza's suggestion about moving to the country do to Tomas?
11. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what did Tereza want to tell Tomas on their way back to Prague?
(a) she wanted them to move to the country
(b) she wanted to quit her job at the bar
(c) to do something that would help stop her jealousy
(d) about her affair with the engineer
12. What Czech text was written on the poster hanging on the editor's wall?
(a) Help Politcal Prisoners
(b) Have you signed the Two Thousand Words?
(c) Free Intellectuals from Going into Prison
(d) End the Russian Occupation
13. In one of her dreams, what was it that Tereza saw floating downstream as she stared at the river?
(a) Prague's castles and churches
(b) Prague's park benches
(c) Prague's street signs
(d) Prague's secret police
14. How did Tomas's hospital colleagues react when he saw Tomas at the window shop?
15. Who does Franz end up belonging to in death?
(c) his wife
(d) his student-mistress
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza long to end?
2. What did Tereza feel she was doing by going to the engineer's house?
3. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
4. In Tereza's dream, what did Karenin give birth to?
5. What had Simon done since childhood?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)