|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
(a) writing articles
(b) leading demonstrations
(c) performing surgery on people
(d) digging a half-buried crow out of the ground
2. In Part 6, Chapter 11, who does Sabina claim is her enemy?
(d) Czech immigrants
3. What did Tereza understand the benches floating downstream to mean in her dream?
(a) she was no longer going to be a burdon
(c) a farewell
(d) something bad was about to happen
4. Why did Tomas's son write a letter to Tomas when they were living in the country?
(a) he wanted his father to focus his eyes on his life
(b) he wanted to visit him
(c) he missed him terribly
(d) he wanted his father to know his wife and children
5. What did Tereza long to end?
(a) her weakness
(b) her jealousy
(c) her dependence on Tomas
(d) her insecurities
6. What did Sabina rebel agains?
(a) Soviet films with political themes
(b) the reality of the Communist regime
(c) current conventional interpretation of Soviet films
(d) the Soviet films with happy endings
7. What was the only reason Simon became involved with the editor?
(a) he knew he would be able to convince his father to sign the petition
(b) the editor's fate reminded him of his father
(c) he really believed in the idea of helping political prisoners
(d) he knew the could help his father regain his job
8. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
9. In Part 7, Chapter 6, what animal does Tereza dream of?
(a) a dog
(b) a rabbit
(c) a mouse
(d) a horse
10. How did the engineer respond to Tereza's resistance?
(a) He pressed himself onto her even harder
(b) He became frustrated and hostile
(c) He soothed her by stroking her face
(d) He asked her if she wanted to stop
11. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
(a) had been led to Tereza by a chain of laughable coincidences
(b) did not really love Tereza
(c) he should have run away from his cage, not return to it
(d) was destined to always remain with Tereza
12. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
(a) a surrender
(b) happy memories
(d) a poetic scene
13. What did Tomas catch Tereza do that upset him?
(a) give Karenin chocolate
(b) search his desk
(c) read his letters
(d) make a grave for Karenin
14. What concerned Tomas about moving to the country?
(a) he would never be able to escape Tereza
(b) he would have difficulty finding a new woman every week
(c) he could no longer practice medicine
(d) he would be bored by the slow lifestyle
15. Why did Tereza respond as she did to the engineer's advances?
(a) She wanted to stop herself from making a mistake
(b) She hoped to quickly get through the experience
(c) She refused to take any responsibility for what was happening
(d) She didn't want the engineer to fall in love with her
Short Answer Questions
1. When the engineer undressed Tereza, how did she respond?
2. What episode proved that Tomas was as tired mentally as physically - from having too many erotic engagements?
3. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
4. What expression did Tomas have, when concentrating, that he saw in his son?
5. What did Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)