|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What desire led to Tomas's pursuit of women?
(a) possession of the world
(b) accumulation of different experiences
2. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what did Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
(a) someone wise
(b) someone kind
(c) someone very tired
(d) someone broken
3. In what condition did Tereza and Karenin find the black crow under?
(a) Lying on dirt, its wings cut off
(b) Wounded and bleeding
(c) From neck down, buried in dirt
(d) One of its feet cut off
4. What was the only reason Simon became involved with the editor?
(a) he knew the could help his father regain his job
(b) the editor's fate reminded him of his father
(c) he really believed in the idea of helping political prisoners
(d) he knew he would be able to convince his father to sign the petition
5. What did Tereza understand the benches floating downstream to mean in her dream?
(a) a farewell
(b) something bad was about to happen
(c) she was no longer going to be a burdon
6. How did Tomas feel about his window washing job after a while?
(b) pity for himself
(c) he hated it
(d) he enjoyed hit
7. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
(a) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(b) Sophocles' Electra
(c) Sophocles' Antigone
(d) Sophocles' Oedipus
8. Why did Tomas's son write a letter to Tomas when they were living in the country?
(a) he wanted his father to focus his eyes on his life
(b) he wanted to visit him
(c) he wanted his father to know his wife and children
(d) he missed him terribly
9. In Part 7, Chapter 6, what animal does Tereza dream of?
(a) a mouse
(b) a rabbit
(c) a horse
(d) a dog
10. What did Tomas hint to the doctor after he informed him that he would not retract his statement?
(a) to stand up to those pressuring him to make a retraction
(b) that a threat by all his colleagues to resign would sufface
(c) to find him another way where he could clear up his name
(d) to find him a good job replacement
11. In one of her dreams, what was it that Tereza saw floating downstream as she stared at the river?
(a) Prague's secret police
(b) Prague's street signs
(c) Prague's park benches
(d) Prague's castles and churches
12. What was Sabina's fantasy about her and Tomas?
(a) Tomas watching her make love to another man
(b) Tomas being seated on the toilet while she watches
(c) Tomas tearing off her clothes
(d) She being seated on a toilet while he watches
13. What was the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
(a) making love on the kitchen floor
(b) making love in a bathtub while there was a storm outside
(c) making love on a rug while there was a storm outside
(d) making love on a special quilt she'd made
14. At the end of the novel, Tereza feels that if she really had loved Tomas with a great love, she would have...
(a) been more appreciative of his love
(b) stuck it out with him abroad
(c) allowed Tomas to resume his medical practice
(d) not been jealous of his affairs
15. What did Sabina rebel agains?
(a) the Soviet films with happy endings
(b) Soviet films with political themes
(c) current conventional interpretation of Soviet films
(d) the reality of the Communist regime
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza feel she was doing by going to the engineer's house?
2. What did Tereza long to end?
3. What expression did Tomas have, when concentrating, that he saw in his son?
4. What did making love with the engineer in the absence of love do to Tereza?
5. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)