|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tomas end up being a window washer?
(a) by not signing a letter the secret police requested of him
(b) by having his conversation about Communists wired and publicized
(c) by saying terrible things about the secret police in front of the man from the Ministry
(d) by signing a petition
2. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
(a) She wonders if she could leave Tomas for him
(b) She longs for him to come to the bar and invite her back
(c) She hopes she could find a way to forget about him
(d) She prays she will never see him again
3. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why was it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
(a) the town's sign posts had disappeared because during the invasion people pulled them down
(b) the hotel where they normally stayed resembled a miniature Russia
(c) all its street signs were taken from Russian geography and history
(d) the town was still very affected by the days of the Soviet invasion
4. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
(a) had been led to Tereza by a chain of laughable coincidences
(b) was destined to always remain with Tereza
(c) did not really love Tereza
(d) he should have run away from his cage, not return to it
5. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
(a) Ministry of Education
(b) Ministry of Health
(c) Ministry of Culture
(d) Ministry of the Interior
6. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what did Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
(a) someone broken
(b) someone very tired
(c) someone kind
(d) someone wise
7. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
(a) leading demonstrations
(b) writing articles
(c) digging a half-buried crow out of the ground
(d) performing surgery on people
8. What expression did Tomas have, when concentrating, that he saw in his son?
(a) he slightly raised the left side of his upper lip
(b) he twitched his eyes
(c) he slightly raised his left brow
(d) he slightly moved his nose left to right
9. What did the U.S. Senator Sabina was riding with consider happiness?
(a) freedom of speech
(b) living in America
10. What was Tomas's reaction when one of his mistresses reminded him of an intimate incident he couldn't recall?
(c) he thought it funny
11. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
(a) he wanted time to convince himself to sign
(b) he was afraid of losing his job
(c) he wanted to first talk it over with Tereza
(d) He feared they would print the statement with or without his consent
12. Why did Franzy initially reject the invitation to march in Cambodia?
(a) he did not believe going to Cambodia could make a difference
(b) his mistress's eyes were begging him not to go
(c) he wanted to start living for a real cause
(d) he didn't want to leave his mistress alone
13. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
(a) four hundred
(c) Two hundred
(d) a hundred
14. What did the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
(a) to transfer to another clinic
(b) to sign a letter
(c) to make a public apology
(d) to tell the truth about who the editor was
15. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 8, what did Tereza know had become of her and Tomas?
3. What did making love with the engineer in the absence of love do to Tereza?
4. What distinguished the woman Tomas met in chapter 10 from other women?
5. How did Tereza feel about Tomas's son?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)