|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tereza respond as she did to the engineer's advances?
(a) She didn't want the engineer to fall in love with her
(b) She refused to take any responsibility for what was happening
(c) She hoped to quickly get through the experience
(d) She wanted to stop herself from making a mistake
2. What episode proved that Tomas was as tired mentally as physically - from having too many erotic engagements?
(a) scheduling an engagement on a Sunday, Tereza's and his only day off
(b) forgetting about an engagement he had made that same day
(c) Get sick at one of the woman's homes
(d) running into one of his recent lovers and not recognizing who she was
3. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Oedipus
(b) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(c) Sophocles' Antigone
(d) Sophocles' Electra
4. How did Tereza feel about Tomas's son?
(a) she wanted to go visit him and his family
(b) she wanted Tomas to invite him over
(c) she was upset Tomas had never mentioned him before
(d) she prefered they let him alone
5. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
(a) Sophocles' Oedipus
(b) Sophocles' Electra
(c) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(d) Sophocles' Antigone
6. What did the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
(a) to sign a letter
(b) to tell the truth about who the editor was
(c) to make a public apology
(d) to transfer to another clinic
7. What happened when the interpreter that headed the march requested permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
(a) they were strip searched
(b) they were greeted by silence
(c) they were told to go back where they came from
(d) they were told only the doctors could enter
8. What concerned Tomas about moving to the country?
(a) he would be bored by the slow lifestyle
(b) he would have difficulty finding a new woman every week
(c) he could no longer practice medicine
(d) he would never be able to escape Tereza
9. What did making love with the engineer in the absence of love do to Tereza?
(a) it confined her soul
(b) it liberated her
(c) it restored her soul's sight
(d) it darkened her soul's sight
10. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why was it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
(a) all its street signs were taken from Russian geography and history
(b) the town's sign posts had disappeared because during the invasion people pulled them down
(c) the hotel where they normally stayed resembled a miniature Russia
(d) the town was still very affected by the days of the Soviet invasion
11. In Part 4, Chapter 8, what did Tereza know had become of her and Tomas?
(a) Their love had died
(b) They had become a burdon on each other
(c) She had become a burdon on him
(d) He grew more and more distant as time went on
12. How did the engineer respond to Tereza's resistance?
(a) He pressed himself onto her even harder
(b) He became frustrated and hostile
(c) He asked her if she wanted to stop
(d) He soothed her by stroking her face
13. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a nightmare where certain words prevent a man from shooting her. What were her words?
(a) But it wasn't my choice
(b) You don't have the right
(c) Don't do it!
(d) Help me, please!
14. How did Tereza feel in the country?
15. Who does Franz end up belonging to in death?
(a) his wife
(d) his student-mistress
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza feel she was doing by going to the engineer's house?
2. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
3. What had Simon done since childhood?
4. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
5. What expression did Tomas have, when concentrating, that he saw in his son?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)