|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 23, Tomas has a dream of a woman he'd never met before, who was...
(a) the woman of his dreams
(b) resembles Tereza in appearance but not in personality
(c) is strong like his mother
(d) resembles Sabina
2. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
(a) She wonders if she could leave Tomas for him
(b) She prays she will never see him again
(c) She longs for him to come to the bar and invite her back
(d) She hopes she could find a way to forget about him
3. What desire led to Tomas's pursuit of women?
(b) possession of the world
(c) accumulation of different experiences
4. In one of her dreams, what was it that Tereza saw floating downstream as she stared at the river?
(a) Prague's park benches
(b) Prague's castles and churches
(c) Prague's secret police
(d) Prague's street signs
5. What did Tereza do the moment after she had sex with the engineer?
(a) Spit in his face
(b) Think of suicide
(c) Sob in his arms
(d) Beg him not to tell anyone
6. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
(a) he should have run away from his cage, not return to it
(b) was destined to always remain with Tereza
(c) had been led to Tereza by a chain of laughable coincidences
(d) did not really love Tereza
7. What concerned Tomas about moving to the country?
(a) he would never be able to escape Tereza
(b) he could no longer practice medicine
(c) he would have difficulty finding a new woman every week
(d) he would be bored by the slow lifestyle
8. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what did Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
(a) someone very tired
(b) someone broken
(c) someone wise
(d) someone kind
9. What was Sabina's fantasy about her and Tomas?
(a) Tomas being seated on the toilet while she watches
(b) She being seated on a toilet while he watches
(c) Tomas watching her make love to another man
(d) Tomas tearing off her clothes
10. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
(a) He feared they would print the statement with or without his consent
(b) he wanted to first talk it over with Tereza
(c) he was afraid of losing his job
(d) he wanted time to convince himself to sign
11. Who were many of Tomas's private customers?
(a) his former patients
(b) people who needed medical help
(c) his women lovers
(d) old friends
12. When did Tomas realize the strange man was interrogating him?
(a) when he asked for the editor's name
(b) when he asked to meet him alone after work
(c) when he asked him very personal questions
(d) when he offered him a job with the government
13. How did Tomas feel after the petition was published?
(a) he was glad he had not signed
(b) he wished he had signed
(c) he questioned whether or not he should have signed
(d) he considered writing an article about the petition
14. What distinguished the woman Tomas met in chapter 10 from other women?
(a) She had red hair
(b) She had a masculine voice
(c) She was very plump
(d) She was taller than him
15. What did Franz come to realize was his real life?
(c) his student-mistress
(d) his wife and daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the engineer respond to Tereza's resistance?
2. What was Tomas's reaction when one of his mistresses reminded him of an intimate incident he couldn't recall?
3. What did Tereza fear it meant by the engineer never showing up again?
4. What did the bald headed man at the bar accuse Tereza of that caused the engineer to step in?
5. What were Soviet films saturated with?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)