|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
(a) He is fat.
(b) He is tall.
(c) He is skinny.
(d) He is short.
2. The image of the abandoned child Tomas has of Tereza reflects on which ancient myth?
(a) Sophocles' Philoctetes.
(b) Sophocles' Antigone.
(c) Sophocles' Electra.
(d) Sophocles' Oedipus.
3. Sabina likes America...
(a) Only on the surface.
(b) Because she has no trouble selling her paintings.
(c) Only when she goes there with Franz.
(d) Because it gives her complete freedom.
4. What distinguishes the woman Tomas meets in Part 5, Chapter 10 from other women?
(a) She is taller than him.
(b) She has red hair.
(c) She is very plump.
(d) She has a masculine voice.
5. In Part 5, Chapter 20, what emotion does Tomas's hospital colleague portray when he sees Tomas working at the window shop?
(a) He is happy to see Tomas after so many years.
(b) He is sympathetic towards Tomas's situation.
(c) He is ashamed about Tomas's condition.
(d) He is supportive of Tomas's decisions.
6. For Karenin, everything that comes from Tereza...
(a) Is the truth.
(b) Is loving.
(c) Is strong.
(d) Is bassed on kindness.
7. What helps ease Tereza's anxiety when she enters the engineer's house?
(a) Her seeing he has book shelves.
(b) Him listening to Beethoven,
(c) Her drinking a glass of wine.
(d) Her having a cup of soup,
8. What is the one thing Tomas associates the words "helping people" with?
9. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what does Tereza brood about?
(a) Tomas's continuous fidelity.
(b) Why the engineer never returned to the bar.
(c) If she should pay the engineer a visit.
(d) Naked pictures of her and the engineer.
10. What does Sabina rebel against?
(a) The Soviet films with happy endings.
(b) The current conventional interpretation of Soviet films.
(c) The reality of the Communist regime.
(d) The Soviet films with political themes.
11. What type of work does Tomas do on the farm?
(a) He drives a truck.
(b) He becomes a veterinarian.
(c) He looks after the cows.
(d) He raises pigs.
12. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a nightmare where certain words prevent a man from shooting her. What are her words?
(a) You don't have the right!
(b) But it wasn't my choice!
(c) Help me, please!
(d) Don't do it!
13. What has Simon done since childhood?
(a) He believed that his mother was the victim in the relationship.
(b) He searched for his father.
(c) He was angry with his father.
(d) He had forgiven his father's wrongdoings.
14. What desire leads to Tomas's pursuit of women?
(a) A desire to possess the world.
(b) A desire for power.
(c) A desire to accumulate different experiences.
(d) A desire for pleasure.
15. What is Tomas's reaction when one of his mistresses reminds him of an intimate incident he cannot recall?
(a) He thinks it's funny.
(b) He is annoyed.
(c) He is appalled.
(d) He feels burdoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Standing in the anteroom, what saves Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
2. Tomas had come to medicine by...
3. How does Tomas feel about his window washing job after a while?
4. What does Tereza do the moment after she has sex with the engineer?
5. When asked to sign the letter, why doesn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)