|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
(a) He was tall
(b) He was fat
(c) He was skinny
(d) He was short
2. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Electra
(b) Sophocles' Antigone
(c) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(d) Sophocles' Oedipus
3. What path did Simon take that he believed his father secretly agreed with?
(a) a practicing Catholic
(b) working on a collective farm
(c) married with children
(d) an anti-communist
4. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why was it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
(a) the town's sign posts had disappeared because during the invasion people pulled them down
(b) the town was still very affected by the days of the Soviet invasion
(c) all its street signs were taken from Russian geography and history
(d) the hotel where they normally stayed resembled a miniature Russia
5. What was Franz's initial reaction when he was invited to go to Cambodia?
6. Why did Tereza respond as she did to the engineer's advances?
(a) She didn't want the engineer to fall in love with her
(b) She refused to take any responsibility for what was happening
(c) She hoped to quickly get through the experience
(d) She wanted to stop herself from making a mistake
7. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
(a) She wonders if she could leave Tomas for him
(b) She longs for him to come to the bar and invite her back
(c) She prays she will never see him again
(d) She hopes she could find a way to forget about him
8. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
(a) did not really love Tereza
(b) had been led to Tereza by a chain of laughable coincidences
(c) he should have run away from his cage, not return to it
(d) was destined to always remain with Tereza
9. What were Soviet films saturated with?
(a) family sagas
(b) political themes
(c) incredible innocense and chastity
(d) conflict and resolution
10. What did Tomas feel the first day he reported to the window washer job?
11. In one of her dreams, what was it that Tereza saw floating downstream as she stared at the river?
(a) Prague's street signs
(b) Prague's secret police
(c) Prague's park benches
(d) Prague's castles and churches
12. What episode proved that Tomas was as tired mentally as physically - from having too many erotic engagements?
(a) forgetting about an engagement he had made that same day
(b) running into one of his recent lovers and not recognizing who she was
(c) scheduling an engagement on a Sunday, Tereza's and his only day off
(d) Get sick at one of the woman's homes
13. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
(a) writing articles
(b) performing surgery on people
(c) leading demonstrations
(d) digging a half-buried crow out of the ground
14. Why did Franzy initially reject the invitation to march in Cambodia?
(a) he didn't want to leave his mistress alone
(b) his mistress's eyes were begging him not to go
(c) he did not believe going to Cambodia could make a difference
(d) he wanted to start living for a real cause
15. In Part 4, Chapter 8, what did Tereza know had become of her and Tomas?
(a) She had become a burdon on him
(b) They had become a burdon on each other
(c) Their love had died
(d) He grew more and more distant as time went on
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sabina rebel agains?
2. What did the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
3. What Czech text was written on the poster hanging on the editor's wall?
4. In Part 5, chapter 19, what did the editor say to Tomas when he approached him?
5. What concerned Tomas about moving to the country?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)