|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tomas end up being a window washer?
(a) by signing a petition
(b) by not signing a letter the secret police requested of him
(c) by saying terrible things about the secret police in front of the man from the Ministry
(d) by having his conversation about Communists wired and publicized
2. In Part 5, Chapter 2, who does the author attribute the works of the Communist regime of Central Europe?
(a) criminals who were after wealth
(b) enthusiasts who wanted power
(c) criminals who cared only about themselves
(d) enthusiasts convinced they had disvoered the only road to paradise
3. What did Tomas say is much more important than sending petitions to a president?
(a) digging a half-buried crow out of the ground
(b) performing surgery on people
(c) leading demonstrations
(d) writing articles
4. What did Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
(a) a roll
(c) a leash
(d) a camera
5. What did the bald headed man at the bar accuse Tereza of that caused the engineer to step in?
(a) selling alcohol to a minor
(b) flirting with a 16 year old boy
(d) being disrespectful to customers
6. Standing in the anteroom, what saved Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
(a) his harsh voice
(b) his arrogance
(c) his crude manners
(d) his unpleasant voice
7. What did Tomas catch Tereza do that upset him?
(a) give Karenin chocolate
(b) read his letters
(c) search his desk
(d) make a grave for Karenin
8. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
(a) a poetic scene
(c) happy memories
(d) a surrender
9. What did the U.S. Senator Sabina was riding with consider happiness?
(b) living in America
(c) freedom of speech
10. What did Sabina rebel agains?
(a) the reality of the Communist regime
(b) Soviet films with political themes
(c) current conventional interpretation of Soviet films
(d) the Soviet films with happy endings
11. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Electra
(b) Sophocles' Oedipus
(c) Sophocles' Antigone
(d) Sophocles' Philoctetes
12. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
(a) Ministry of the Interior
(b) Ministry of Health
(c) Ministry of Education
(d) Ministry of Culture
13. How did Tomas feel after the petition was published?
(a) he was glad he had not signed
(b) he questioned whether or not he should have signed
(c) he considered writing an article about the petition
(d) he wished he had signed
14. Sabina liked America...
(a) because it gave her complete freedom
(b) because she had no trouble selling her paintings
(c) only when she went there with Franz
(d) only on the surface
15. Tomas had come to medicine by...
(a) a deep desire
(b) need for prestige
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tomas's reaction when one of his mistresses reminded him of an intimate incident he couldn't recall?
2. When the engineer undressed Tereza, how did she respond?
3. What was Franz's initial reaction when he was invited to go to Cambodia?
4. What was Tereza's and Tomas's love supported on?
5. What happened to Tomas's son as a result of the petition campaign?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)