|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Franzy initially reject the invitation to march in Cambodia?
(a) he did not believe going to Cambodia could make a difference
(b) his mistress's eyes were begging him not to go
(c) he wanted to start living for a real cause
(d) he didn't want to leave his mistress alone
2. When asked to sign the letter, why didn't Tomas give the secret policeman an immediate and unconditional "no"?
(a) he wanted to first talk it over with Tereza
(b) He feared they would print the statement with or without his consent
(c) he was afraid of losing his job
(d) he wanted time to convince himself to sign
3. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
(a) a poetic scene
(b) a surrender
(c) happy memories
4. In Part 7, Chapter 6, what animal does Tereza dream of?
(a) a rabbit
(b) a horse
(c) a dog
(d) a mouse
5. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what did Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
(a) someone very tired
(b) someone kind
(c) someone wise
(d) someone broken
6. What had Simon done since childhood?
(a) believe that his mother was the victim in the relationship
(b) be angry with his father
(c) searched for his father
(d) forgave his father's wrongdoings
7. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
(a) She longs for him to come to the bar and invite her back
(b) She wonders if she could leave Tomas for him
(c) She prays she will never see him again
(d) She hopes she could find a way to forget about him
8. What were Soviet films saturated with?
(a) political themes
(b) family sagas
(c) incredible innocense and chastity
(d) conflict and resolution
9. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
(a) had been led to Tereza by a chain of laughable coincidences
(b) was destined to always remain with Tereza
(c) did not really love Tereza
(d) he should have run away from his cage, not return to it
10. In Part 5, chapter 19, what did the editor say to Tomas when he approached him?
(a) Careful! Don't come any closer!
(b) Watch out! We're being filmed!
(c) If you talk to us, you'll face interrogation!
(d) Don't try the old-pals act on us!
11. Standing in the anteroom, what saved Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
(a) his crude manners
(b) his harsh voice
(c) his arrogance
(d) his unpleasant voice
12. What did Tereza fear it meant by the engineer never showing up again?
(a) He was sick minded and had lured her there to take pictures
(b) He was sent by the secret police
(c) He was sent by the drunk bald headed man
(d) He was sent by one of Tomas's women
13. When did Tomas realize the strange man was interrogating him?
(a) when he asked for the editor's name
(b) when he asked to meet him alone after work
(c) when he offered him a job with the government
(d) when he asked him very personal questions
14. How did Tomas feel after the petition was published?
(a) he questioned whether or not he should have signed
(b) he wished he had signed
(c) he considered writing an article about the petition
(d) he was glad he had not signed
15. Who does Franz end up belonging to in death?
(b) his wife
(d) his student-mistress
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tomas's son write a letter to Tomas when they were living in the country?
2. Why did Tereza respond as she did to the engineer's advances?
3. In what condition did Tereza and Karenin find the black crow under?
4. What episode proved that Tomas was as tired mentally as physically - from having too many erotic engagements?
5. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)