|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
(a) She longs for him to come to the bar and invite her back
(b) She wonders if she could leave Tomas for him
(c) She prays she will never see him again
(d) She hopes she could find a way to forget about him
2. What did Tomas hint to the doctor after he informed him that he would not retract his statement?
(a) to stand up to those pressuring him to make a retraction
(b) to find him another way where he could clear up his name
(c) that a threat by all his colleagues to resign would sufface
(d) to find him a good job replacement
3. What did Tereza feel she was doing by going to the engineer's house?
(a) She was deceiving Tomas
(b) She was changing her life for good
(c) She was following Tomas's command
(d) She was breaking free from Tomas
4. What did making love with the engineer in the absence of love do to Tereza?
(a) it liberated her
(b) it confined her soul
(c) it restored her soul's sight
(d) it darkened her soul's sight
5. What was the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
(a) making love on a special quilt she'd made
(b) making love in a bathtub while there was a storm outside
(c) making love on a rug while there was a storm outside
(d) making love on the kitchen floor
6. Why didn't Tomas and Tereza have children?
(a) Tomas could not have children
(b) Tereza could not have children
(c) Tereza did not want them
(d) Tomas did not want them
7. What did Tereza fear it meant by the engineer never showing up again?
(a) He was sent by the secret police
(b) He was sick minded and had lured her there to take pictures
(c) He was sent by one of Tomas's women
(d) He was sent by the drunk bald headed man
8. What did Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
(a) a leash
(b) a camera
(c) a roll
9. Sabina liked America...
(a) because she had no trouble selling her paintings
(b) only when she went there with Franz
(c) because it gave her complete freedom
(d) only on the surface
10. What did the bald headed man at the bar accuse Tereza of that caused the engineer to step in?
(a) selling alcohol to a minor
(b) flirting with a 16 year old boy
(d) being disrespectful to customers
11. In what condition did Tereza and Karenin find the black crow under?
(a) From neck down, buried in dirt
(b) Lying on dirt, its wings cut off
(c) One of its feet cut off
(d) Wounded and bleeding
12. What did Tomas catch Tereza do that upset him?
(a) read his letters
(b) search his desk
(c) give Karenin chocolate
(d) make a grave for Karenin
13. How did Tereza feel about Tomas's son?
(a) she prefered they let him alone
(b) she was upset Tomas had never mentioned him before
(c) she wanted Tomas to invite him over
(d) she wanted to go visit him and his family
14. What had Simon done since childhood?
(a) searched for his father
(b) forgave his father's wrongdoings
(c) be angry with his father
(d) believe that his mother was the victim in the relationship
15. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
(a) the manner in which their statesmen beamed from the height of their reviewing stand
(b) the way they showed affection to children when in front of cameras, in order to influence people
(c) the maske of beauty if tried to wear
(d) the way they transformed ruined castles into cow sheds
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Tomas realize the strange man was interrogating him?
2. How did Tomas's hospital colleagues react when he saw Tomas at the window shop?
3. What did Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
4. What happened when the interpreter that headed the march requested permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
5. In Part 5, chapter 19, what did the editor say to Tomas when he approached him?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)