|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the engineer undressed Tereza, how did she respond?
(a) She asked him to stop
(c) She assisted him
(d) She resisted him
2. What was Tomas's reaction when one of his mistresses reminded him of an intimate incident he couldn't recall?
(a) he thought it funny
3. What happened when the interpreter that headed the march requested permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
(a) they were told to go back where they came from
(b) they were greeted by silence
(c) they were told only the doctors could enter
(d) they were strip searched
4. Why did Tereza respond as she did to the engineer's advances?
(a) She hoped to quickly get through the experience
(b) She wanted to stop herself from making a mistake
(c) She refused to take any responsibility for what was happening
(d) She didn't want the engineer to fall in love with her
5. What did Tomas catch Tereza do that upset him?
(a) give Karenin chocolate
(b) search his desk
(c) make a grave for Karenin
(d) read his letters
6. How did Tomas feel about his window washing job after a while?
(a) he enjoyed hit
(b) he hated it
(c) pity for himself
7. Standing in the anteroom, what saved Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
(a) his unpleasant voice
(b) his harsh voice
(c) his crude manners
(d) his arrogance
8. How did Tereza feel in the country?
9. What was the one thing Tomas associated the words "helping people" with?
10. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
(b) Two hundred
(c) four hundred
(d) a hundred
11. What type of work did Tomas do on the farm?
(a) drove a truck
(b) raised pigs
(c) looked after the cows
12. In Part 5, chapter 19, what did the editor say to Tomas when he approached him?
(a) Careful! Don't come any closer!
(b) Don't try the old-pals act on us!
(c) Watch out! We're being filmed!
(d) If you talk to us, you'll face interrogation!
13. The author describes kitsch as the absolute denial of
14. What did Sabina rebel agains?
(a) the Soviet films with happy endings
(b) current conventional interpretation of Soviet films
(c) Soviet films with political themes
(d) the reality of the Communist regime
15. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what did Tereza brood about?
(a) If she should pay the engineer a visit
(b) Tomas's continuous fidelity
(c) Naked pictures of her and the engineer
(d) Why the engineer never returned to the bar
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tereza's dream, what did Karenin give birth to?
2. What disease did Karenin have?
3. How did Tomas end up being a window washer?
4. Why did Franzy initially reject the invitation to march in Cambodia?
5. Why didn't Tomas and Tereza have children?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)