|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Franz's initial reaction when he was invited to go to Cambodia?
2. What episode proved that Tomas was as tired mentally as physically - from having too many erotic engagements?
(a) Get sick at one of the woman's homes
(b) forgetting about an engagement he had made that same day
(c) scheduling an engagement on a Sunday, Tereza's and his only day off
(d) running into one of his recent lovers and not recognizing who she was
3. What did Tereza fear it meant by the engineer never showing up again?
(a) He was sent by the secret police
(b) He was sent by one of Tomas's women
(c) He was sick minded and had lured her there to take pictures
(d) He was sent by the drunk bald headed man
4. What expression did Tomas have, when concentrating, that he saw in his son?
(a) he slightly raised the left side of his upper lip
(b) he slightly raised his left brow
(c) he slightly moved his nose left to right
(d) he twitched his eyes
5. Who does Franz end up belonging to in death?
(a) his wife
(c) his student-mistress
6. At the engineer's house, what made Tereza feel as though TOmas had purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Antigone
(b) Sophocles' Oedipus
(c) Sophocles' Electra
(d) Sophocles' Philoctetes
7. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
(a) She prays she will never see him again
(b) She wonders if she could leave Tomas for him
(c) She longs for him to come to the bar and invite her back
(d) She hopes she could find a way to forget about him
8. What did Tereza do the moment after she had sex with the engineer?
(a) Spit in his face
(b) Sob in his arms
(c) Think of suicide
(d) Beg him not to tell anyone
9. What privilege did Tomas want to grant Karenin that was forbidden to humans?
(a) unconditional love
(b) death in the guise of his loved ones
(d) a peaceful death
10. What helped ease Tereza's anxiety when she entered the engineer's house?
(a) Having a cup of soup
(b) Drinking a glass of wine
(c) Seeing he had book shelves
(d) Listening to Beethoven
11. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
(a) did not really love Tereza
(b) had been led to Tereza by a chain of laughable coincidences
(c) was destined to always remain with Tereza
(d) he should have run away from his cage, not return to it
12. In Part 5, Chapter 23, Tomas has a dream of a woman he'd never met before, who was...
(a) is strong like his mother
(b) resembles Sabina
(c) resembles Tereza in appearance but not in personality
(d) the woman of his dreams
13. What did Tereza feel she was doing by going to the engineer's house?
(a) She was changing her life for good
(b) She was deceiving Tomas
(c) She was following Tomas's command
(d) She was breaking free from Tomas
14. Sabina liked America...
(a) because it gave her complete freedom
(b) only when she went there with Franz
(c) only on the surface
(d) because she had no trouble selling her paintings
15. What desire led to Tomas's pursuit of women?
(a) accumulation of different experiences
(c) possession of the world
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel's bar?
2. What happened when the interpreter that headed the march requested permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
3. What was the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
4. What did Tereza understand the benches floating downstream to mean in her dream?
5. What did Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)