|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the engineer's house, which book in particular makes Tereza feel as though Tomas has purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Antigone
(b) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(c) Sophocles' Electra
(d) Sophocles' Oedipus
2. What is Tereza's and Tomas's love supported on?
(a) Her fidelity.
(b) Her innocent ways.
(c) Her honesty.
(d) Her sense of justice.
3. In Part 5, Chapter 2, who does the author attribute the works of the Communist regime of Central Europe?
(a) Enthusiasts who are convinced they have discovered the only road to paradise.
(b) Criminals who care only about themselves.
(c) Enthusiasts who want power.
(d) Criminals who are after wealth.
4. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a nightmare where certain words prevent a man from shooting her. What are her words?
(a) Don't do it!
(b) But it wasn't my choice!
(c) Help me, please!
(d) You don't have the right!
5. What does the U.S. Senator Sabina is riding with consider happiness?
(a) Living in America.
(b) The sight of children.
(c) Having a religious belief.
(d) Having freedom of speech.
6. In Part 5, Chapter 12, what is the incident that Tomas could not recall with his lover?
(a) The two of them making love in a bathtub while there is a storm outside.
(b) The two of them making love on a special quilt she'd made.
(c) The two of them making love on a rug while there is a storm outside.
(d) The two of them making love on the kitchen floor.
7. What privilege does Tomas want to grant Karenin that is forbidden to humans?
(a) Death in the guise of his loved ones.
(b) A peaceful death.
(d) Unconditional love.
8. What desire leads to Tomas's pursuit of women?
(a) A desire for pleasure.
(b) A desire to possess the world.
(c) A desire to accumulate different experiences.
(d) A desire for power.
9. What does Tomas feel the first day he reports to the window washing job?
(a) He feels disappointment.
(b) He feels shock.
(c) He feels fear.
(d) He feels anxiety.
10. Approximately how many women has Tomas known?
(a) A hundred women.
(b) Two hundred women.
(c) Four hundred women.
(d) Fifty women.
11. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague...
(a) He is destined to always remain with Tereza.
(b) He should have run away from his cage, not return to it.
(c) He felt he had been led to Tereza by a chain of laughable coincidences.
(d) He does not really love Tereza.
12. What does Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
(a) She sees that the world is a lonely place.
(b) She sees that the world is a cruel place.
(c) She sees that it is a good thing to not have children.
(d) She sees a reflection of her own fate.
13. In Part 5, Chapter 28, on their way back to Prague, what does Tereza brood about?
(a) Naked pictures of her and the engineer.
(b) Why the engineer never returned to the bar.
(c) If she should pay the engineer a visit.
(d) Tomas's continuous fidelity.
14. Sabina likes America...
(a) Only on the surface.
(b) Only when she goes there with Franz.
(c) Because she has no trouble selling her paintings.
(d) Because it gives her complete freedom.
15. What is the one thing Tomas associates the words "helping people" with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work does Tomas do on the farm?
2. What does Tereza feel she is doing by going to the engineer's house?
3. What does Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
4. What expression does Tomas have, when concentrating, that he sees in his son?
5. What does Tomas hint to the doctor after he informs him that he will not retract his statement?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)