|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Franz come to realize was his real life?
(c) his wife and daughter
(d) his student-mistress
2. What was Sabina's fantasy about her and Tomas?
(a) Tomas being seated on the toilet while she watches
(b) She being seated on a toilet while he watches
(c) Tomas tearing off her clothes
(d) Tomas watching her make love to another man
3. What did Tereza understand the benches floating downstream to mean in her dream?
(a) she was no longer going to be a burdon
(b) a farewell
(d) something bad was about to happen
4. What distinguished the woman Tomas met in chapter 10 from other women?
(a) She had red hair
(b) She was taller than him
(c) She was very plump
(d) She had a masculine voice
5. What did Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
(a) that it was a good thing not to have children
(b) that the world was a lonely place
(c) a reflection of her own fate
(d) that the world was a cruel place
6. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what did Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
(a) someone kind
(b) someone broken
(c) someone very tired
(d) someone wise
7. At the end of the novel, Tereza feels that if she really had loved Tomas with a great love, she would have...
(a) not been jealous of his affairs
(b) been more appreciative of his love
(c) allowed Tomas to resume his medical practice
(d) stuck it out with him abroad
8. In Part 5, Chapter 12, the author states that love begins with a...
(b) happy memories
(c) a surrender
(d) a poetic scene
9. What did Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
(b) a roll
(c) a leash
(d) a camera
10. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
(a) a hundred
(b) four hundred
(d) Two hundred
11. What did Tereza's suggestion about moving to the country do to Tomas?
12. What most repelled Sabina of Communism?
(a) the way they transformed ruined castles into cow sheds
(b) the maske of beauty if tried to wear
(c) the way they showed affection to children when in front of cameras, in order to influence people
(d) the manner in which their statesmen beamed from the height of their reviewing stand
13. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
(a) did not really love Tereza
(b) had been led to Tereza by a chain of laughable coincidences
(c) was destined to always remain with Tereza
(d) he should have run away from his cage, not return to it
14. When the engineer undressed Tereza, how did she respond?
(a) She resisted him
(b) She assisted him
(d) She asked him to stop
15. How did Tereza feel in the country?
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerned Tomas about moving to the country?
2. In Part 5, Chapter 2, who does the author attribute the works of the Communist regime of Central Europe?
3. The image of the abandoned child Tomas had of Tereza reflected on which ancient myth?
4. What expression did Tomas have, when concentrating, that he saw in his son?
5. In Part 5, Chapter 28, what did Tereza want to tell Tomas on their way back to Prague?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)