|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the engineer's house, which book in particular makes Tereza feel as though Tomas has purposely left a trace?
(a) Sophocles' Oedipus
(b) Sophocles' Antigone
(c) Sophocles' Philoctetes
(d) Sophocles' Electra
2. What does the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
(a) He wants him to transfer to another clinic.
(b) He wants him to sign a letter.
(c) He wants him to tell the truth about who the editor was.
(d) He wants him to make a public apology.
3. What privilege does Tomas want to grant Karenin that is forbidden to humans?
(a) Death in the guise of his loved ones.
(c) A peaceful death.
(d) Unconditional love.
4. Who does Franz end up belonging to in death?
(a) He belongs to himself.
(b) He belongs to his wife.
(c) He belongs to Sabina.
(d) He belongs to his student-mistress.
5. How does Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
(a) He is fat.
(b) He is short.
(c) He is tall.
(d) He is skinny.
6. In Part 5, Chapter 20, what emotion does Tomas's hospital colleague portray when he sees Tomas working at the window shop?
(a) He is supportive of Tomas's decisions.
(b) He is happy to see Tomas after so many years.
(c) He is ashamed about Tomas's condition.
(d) He is sympathetic towards Tomas's situation.
7. How does the engineer treat Tereza during their lovemaking?
(a) He soothes her by stroking her face when she cries.
(b) He becomes frustrated and hostile when she asks him to stop.
(c) He assures her they can stop whenever she wants.
(d) He presses himself onto her even harder when she resists him.
8. When the engineer undresses Tereza, how does she respond?
(a) She resists his advances.
(b) She assists him.
(c) She asks him to stop.
(d) She remains neutral.
9. In Part 4, Chapter 8, what does Tereza know has become of her and Tomas?
(a) Their love has died.
(b) She has become a burden on him.
(c) They have become a burdon on each other.
(d) He grew more and more distant as time went on.
10. In Part 7, What does Tomas catch Tereza doing that upsets him?
(a) Her reading his letters.
(b) Her searching his desk.
(c) Her making a grave for Karenin.
(d) Her giving Karenin chocolate.
11. What does Tereza long to end?
(a) Her dependence on Tomas.
(b) Her insecurities.
(c) Her jealousy.
(d) Her weakness.
12. Why does Tomas's son write a letter to Tomas during the time they are living in the country?
(a) He wants his father to focus his eyes on his life.
(b) He wants to visit him.
(c) He wants his father to know his wife and children.
(d) He misses him terribly.
13. Why don't Tomas and Tereza have children?
(a) Tomas does not want them.
(b) Tereza cannot have children.
(c) Tomas cannot have children.
(d) Tereza does not want them.
14. What is Franz's initial reaction when he is invited to go to Cambodia?
(a) He is bothered.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is thrilled.
(d) He is indifferent.
15. What does making love with the engineer in the absence of love do to Tereza?
(a) It restores her soul's sight.
(b) It darkens her soul's sight.
(c) It liberates her.
(d) It confines her soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why is it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 13, Tereza has a nightmare where certain words prevent a man from shooting her. What are her words?
3. In what condition does Tereza and Karenin find the black crow under?
4. What does Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
5. How does Tomas end up being a window washer?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)