|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chief surgeon request of Tomas?
(a) To consider his colleagues when deciding whether or not to make the retraction.
(b) Not to make a public retraction of his past statement.
(c) To make a public retraction of his past statement.
(d) To consider his family when making a public retraction.
2. Why don't Tomas and Tereza have children?
(a) Tereza does not want them.
(b) Tereza cannot have children.
(c) Tomas cannot have children.
(d) Tomas does not want them.
3. In Part 5, Chapter 27, what does Tereza find in the farm worker's face that she had not seen in ages?
(a) Someone very tired.
(b) Someone broken.
(c) Someone kind.
(d) Someone wise.
4. What does Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
(a) A leash.
(b) A roll.
(c) A camera.
5. What does making love with the engineer in the absence of love do to Tereza?
(a) It liberates her.
(b) It confines her soul.
(c) It darkens her soul's sight.
(d) It restores her soul's sight.
6. In the hospital, Tomas is considered...
(a) The best colleague.
(b) The best surgeon.
(c) The most amiable surgeon.
(d) The most respected doctor.
7. What does Tereza understand the objects floating downstream to mean in her dream?
(a) Something bad is about to happen.
(b) She is no longer going to be a burden to Tomas.
(c) A farewell.
(d) A death.
8. In Part 5, Chapter 25, why is it impossible for Tereza and Tomas to spend the night at the little town outside of Prague?
(a) The hotel where they normally stay resembles a miniature Russia.
(b) The town is still very affected by the days of the Soviet invasion.
(c) The town's sign posts have disappeared because during the invasion people pulled them down.
(d) All its street signs are taken from Russian geography and history.
9. What happens when the interpreter that heads the march requests permission to enter the territory of Cambodia?
(a) he is told only the doctors can enter.
(b) The group is strip searched.
(c) He is told to go back where he came from.
(d) He is greeted by silence.
10. What does Tereza claim to Tomas during their dance at the hotel bar?
(a) She is very happy they are finally together alone.
(b) She regrets having been so jealous all those years.
(c) It is her fault he ended up in the country.
(d) From the start of their relationship, she had tried to get him away from Sabina.
11. What has Simon done since childhood?
(a) He believed that his mother was the victim in the relationship.
(b) He was angry with his father.
(c) He had forgiven his father's wrongdoings.
(d) He searched for his father.
12. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague...
(a) He should have run away from his cage, not return to it.
(b) He does not really love Tereza.
(c) He is destined to always remain with Tereza.
(d) He felt he had been led to Tereza by a chain of laughable coincidences.
13. What does Tereza see in the crow's solitude and desolation?
(a) She sees a reflection of her own fate.
(b) She sees that it is a good thing to not have children.
(c) She sees that the world is a cruel place.
(d) She sees that the world is a lonely place.
14. What about Communism most repels Sabina?
(a) The manner in which their statesmen beam from the height of their reviewing stand.
(b) The way they transformed ruined castles into cow sheds.
(c) The way they show affection to children when in front of cameras, in order to influence people.
(d) The mask of beauty if tries to wear.
15. In Part 5, chapter 19, what does the editor say to Tomas when Tomas approaches him?
(a) Careful! Don't come any closer!
(b) If you talk to us, you'll face interrogation!
(c) Don't try the "old pals" act on us!
(d) Watch out! We're being filmed!
Short Answer Questions
1. What Czech text is written on the poster hanging on the editor's wall?
2. In Part 4, Chapter 22, Tereza's thoughts about the engineer are...
3. In Part 5, Chapter 2, who does the author attribute the works of the Communist regime of Central Europe?
4. What are Soviet films saturated with?
5. What is the only reason Simon becomes involved with the editor?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)