|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the chief surgeon request of Tomas?
(a) to consider his family when making a public retraction
(b) to make a public retraction of his past statement
(c) to consider his colleagues when deciding whether or not to make the retraction
(d) not to make a public retraction of his past statement
2. What did Tereza understand the benches floating downstream to mean in her dream?
(a) a farewell
(b) something bad was about to happen
(c) she was no longer going to be a burdon
3. Approximately how many women had Tomas known?
(a) four hundred
(b) a hundred
(c) Two hundred
4. How did Tomas describe the editor to the man from the Ministry?
(a) He was fat
(b) He was short
(c) He was skinny
(d) He was tall
5. What did Tereza refuse to bring along on her walk with Tomas and Karenin?
(b) a roll
(c) a camera
(d) a leash
6. Standing in the anteroom, what saved Tereza from the temptation to burst out crying in the engineer's presence, and thus, fall in love with him?
(a) his crude manners
(b) his harsh voice
(c) his unpleasant voice
(d) his arrogance
7. Why did Franzy initially reject the invitation to march in Cambodia?
(a) his mistress's eyes were begging him not to go
(b) he wanted to start living for a real cause
(c) he did not believe going to Cambodia could make a difference
(d) he didn't want to leave his mistress alone
8. How did Tomas end up being a window washer?
(a) by not signing a letter the secret police requested of him
(b) by signing a petition
(c) by having his conversation about Communists wired and publicized
(d) by saying terrible things about the secret police in front of the man from the Ministry
9. What Czech text was written on the poster hanging on the editor's wall?
(a) Help Politcal Prisoners
(b) End the Russian Occupation
(c) Free Intellectuals from Going into Prison
(d) Have you signed the Two Thousand Words?
10. Why did Tomas's son write a letter to Tomas when they were living in the country?
(a) he wanted his father to focus his eyes on his life
(b) he wanted his father to know his wife and children
(c) he wanted to visit him
(d) he missed him terribly
11. What was Sabina's fantasy about her and Tomas?
(a) She being seated on a toilet while he watches
(b) Tomas tearing off her clothes
(c) Tomas being seated on the toilet while she watches
(d) Tomas watching her make love to another man
12. What did Tomas feel the first day he reported to the window washer job?
13. Sabina liked America...
(a) only on the surface
(b) because she had no trouble selling her paintings
(c) because it gave her complete freedom
(d) only when she went there with Franz
14. What was Franz's initial reaction when he was invited to go to Cambodia?
15. The man who visited Tomas at the clinic where Tomas was a general practitioner introduced himself as...
(a) Ministry of Health
(b) Ministry of Education
(c) Ministry of the Interior
(d) Ministry of Culture
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the man from the Ministry want from Tomas?
2. What distinguished the woman Tomas met in chapter 10 from other women?
3. In Part 5, Chapter 7, Tomas recalls how after leaving Zurich for Prague, he felt he...
4. What had Simon done since childhood?
5. What did the U.S. Senator Sabina was riding with consider happiness?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)