|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What affect does the first week of the Russian occupation have on Tereza?
(a) It leads her to want to leave Prague for good.
(b) It puts her into a deep depression.
(c) It causes her to tremble out of fear.
(d) It brings her the closest she has ever been to happiness.
2. Who does Sabina's bowler hat belong to?
(b) An old boyfriend.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her grandfather.
3. Where does Tomas first meet Tereza?
(a) He meets her at the train station where she works.
(b) He meets her at a hotel they're both staying at.
(c) He meets her at the hotel restaurant where she works.
(d) He meets her at the bar during his lunch break.
4. What is the first piece of furniture Franz ever buys for himself?
(a) A couch.
(b) A desk.
(c) A table.
(d) A bed.
5. In Part 4, Chapter 6, looking in the mirror, why does Tereza feel disgusted by her body?
(a) Unlike the other women in the spa, she feels she has no curves.
(b) It reminds her of her mother.
(c) It makes her feel like a weak child.
(d) She feels her chest does not look like other women's in the spa.
6. What is the command Tomas uses on both Sabina and Tereza?
(a) Get naked.
(c) Take off your clothes.
(d) Get undressed.
7. Why does Tereza's mother marry Tereza's father?
(a) She gets pregnant.
(b) She falls madly in love with him.
(c) She wants to leave her father's home as quickly as possible.
(d) He is the best option for her.
8. What would cause Tereza to do anything for her mother?
(a) Her mother asking for forgiveness.
(b) Her mother having admitted her wrongdoing.
(c) Her mother showing any kind of approval.
(d) Her mother asking in a loving voice.
9. What is Franz's attitude when it comes to love and strength?
(a) Strong people don't know how to love.
(b) Being in love makes one strong.
(c) Using one's strength on a loved one is considered violence.
(d) Love means renouncing strength.
10. While Tereza lives at home, what does her mother forbid her to do?
(a) She forbids her to spend time alone in her room.
(b) She forbids her to move in with Tomas.
(c) She forbids her to go out with friends.
(d) She forbids her to lock the bathroom door.
11. Why does Tomas oppose Tereza visiting her mother when she hears she has cancer?
(a) He knows Tereza is lying.
(b) He dislikes her mother and worries she will cause trouble between him and Tereza.
(c) He fears Tereza is using this as an excuse to leave him.
(d) He discovers her mother is lying.
12. Why is Marie-Claude so rude to Sabina?
(a) To get revenge on her husband, who she knew loves Sabina.
(b) Because that's the type of person Marie-Claude is.
(c) To make clear to Sabina (and others) that she has the upper hand.
(d) To take revenge on Sabina, who she knew was having an affair with her husband, by embarrassing her.
13. What does Tereza's mother appear to be casting off with her immodesty?
(a) She is casting off an old fashioned mentality.
(b) She is casting off youth and beauty.
(c) She is casting off the ways of the Communist regime.
(d) She is casting off her daughter's modest ways.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 21, what does Tereza propose that Sabina do?
(a) She proposes that she helps her find a job in photography.
(b) She proposes to take nude pictures of Sabina.
(c) She proposes that they try to be friends, despite everything.
(d) She proposes to leave Tomas for good.
15. Kundera writes that Sabina is stirred by her own...
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what aroma does Tereza notice on Tomas's hair?
2. What is Marie-Claude's reaction upon hearing of her husband's infidelity?
3. After Sabina settles in Paris, what are her thoughts about Franz?
4. In Tereza's eyes, what do books represent?
5. What does Marie-Anne and her mother do when they have a party?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)