|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Franz do during sex that Sabina disliked?
(a) He turned off the light
(b) He asked if she loved him.
(c) He told her he loved her
(d) He closed his eyes.
2. What was Tereza training for since childhood?
(a) During sleep, holding hands of the man she loved
(b) Stroking her the hair of the man she loved while he lay asleep
(c) Falling asleep while in the embrace of the man she loves
(d) In the morning, buying breakfast for her husband
3. Why did Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
(a) He invited her to stay
(b) She asked to stay, dreading returning to her mother's home
(c) She sprained her ankle
(d) She caem down with the flu
4. In Tereza's eyes, what did books represent?
(a) An emblem of the secret brotherhood
(b) A world of intellectuals
(c) A secret world of schools
(d) A fair and just world
5. What may have attributed to the female puppy, Karenin, falling in love wtih Tereza rather than Tomas?
(a) Tereza's familiarity with pets
(b) Tereza's attachment to the dog
(c) Tomas's long absence from home
(d) Being given a boy's name
6. Why was Tomas attracted to Tereza?
(a) He opened up to her like he did with no one else
(b) She seemed a child to him
(c) Her beauty was unlike any other
(d) She was submissive
7. Franz had given up scores of women because of what misunderstanding?
(a) He was afraid he could not keep a secret
(b) He had been affraid of wounding his wife
(c) He thought his wife had been faithful to him
(d) He thought being a virtuous and faithful man would help improve his marriage
8. What did Tereza remember most of Dubeck's speech, the one he made after his return from Moscow?
(a) The trembling of his voice
(b) His courageous tone
(c) His words which carried much humiliation
(d) The awful pauses in the middle of his sentences
9. What affect did the first week of the Russian occupation have on Tereza?
(a) Led her to want to leave Prague for good
(b) Brought her closest she'd ever been to happiness
(c) Put her into a depression
(d) Caused her to tremble out of fear
10. What novel was Tereza reading when she went to visit Tomas?
(a) Anna Karenina
(b) The Scarlett Letter
(c) War and Peace
(d) Pride and Prejudice
11. What did Tereza propose to Sabina?
(a) That they try to be friends, despite everything
(b) To take nude pictures of her
(c) That she leave Tomas for good
(d) That she helps her find a job in photography
12. Where did Tomas and Tereza meet?
(a) Bar where Tomas hung out during his work breaks
(b) Train stattion where Tomas was departing for Prague
(c) Hotel restaurant where Tereza worked
(d) Hotel where they were both staying
13. In Part 4, Chapter 6, looking in the mirror, why did Tereza feel disgusted by her body?
(a) It reminded her of her mother
(b) Compared to other women in the spa, she had very small breasts with large nipples
(c) It didn't have the power to become the only body in Tomas's life
(d) It made her feel like a weak child
14. What happened to Tereza's father after her mother left him?
(a) He left town
(b) He died in a car accident
(c) He remarried
(d) He was imprisoned
15. What did Sabina unexpectedly meet in the village church?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie-Anne and her mother do when they have a party?
2. Which was NOT one of the fortuities that gave Tereza the courage to leave home and change her fate?
3. What did Sabina like to do when she felt low?
4. At the party, what did Marie-Claude call Sabina's ceramic pendant?
5. When they were living in Zunich, what incident caused Tereza to pack her suitcase, take Karenin and leave for Prague while Tomas was at work?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)