|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Franz say about New York?
(a) The height of its buildings is disturbing.
(b) Its beauty is not original.
(c) It is very youthful.
(d) Its beauty is unintentional.
2. What does Tereza try to see herself through?
(a) Her faith.
(b) Her body.
(c) Tomas's love.
(d) Her childhood.
3. What was Tereza training for since childhood?
(a) Her falling asleep while in the embrace of the man she loves.
(b) Her buying breakfast for her husband each and every morning.
(c) Her holding hands of the man she loves during sleep.
(d) Her stroking her husband's hair while he lay sound asleep.
4. Why is Tomas attracted to Tereza?
(a) He opens up to her like he does with no one else.
(b) She seems like a child to him.
(c) She is submissive.
(d) Her beauty is unlike any other.
5. What does Tereza do six to seven months after she and Tomas move to Switzerland?
(a) She returns to Prague.
(b) She returns to live with her mother.
(c) She gets a job as a photographer.
(d) She pays Sabina a visit.
6. What does Karenin hate?
(a) Cold weather.
(b) Other animals .
7. Who does Sabina's bowler hat belong to?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her brother.
(c) An old boyfriend.
8. After she returns home to her small Czech town, how does Tereza re-enter Tomas's life?
(a) He can't stop thinking about her and calls her to come visit.
(b) She phones him from the railway station and claims she is in Prague to find a job.
(c) They run into each other at a mutual friend's house.
(d) She comes to Prague on a business trip and stays at his home.
9. Where does Tomas first meet Tereza?
(a) He meets her at the bar during his lunch break.
(b) He meets her at the hotel restaurant where she works.
(c) He meets her at a hotel they're both staying at.
(d) He meets her at the train station where she works.
10. Whose quartet is based on the following two motifs: "Must it be?" "It must be."
11. Why does Franz like music?
(a) His mother was a music lover.
(b) Music has been part of his life since childhood.
(c) Music helps him be less of a serious man.
(d) Music has no words.
12. In Part 2, Chapter 21, what does Tereza propose that Sabina do?
(a) She proposes to leave Tomas for good.
(b) She proposes that she helps her find a job in photography.
(c) She proposes that they try to be friends, despite everything.
(d) She proposes to take nude pictures of Sabina.
13. After her encounter with the immigrants, Kundera writes that Sabina's behavior is due to her refusal to do what in life?
(a) Stir an argument.
(b) Be unjust.
(c) Keep ranks.
(d) Keep silent.
14. Why is Marie-Claude so rude to Sabina?
(a) To get revenge on her husband, who she knew loves Sabina.
(b) Because that's the type of person Marie-Claude is.
(c) To take revenge on Sabina, who she knew was having an affair with her husband, by embarrassing her.
(d) To make clear to Sabina (and others) that she has the upper hand.
15. Why does Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
(a) He invites her to stay.
(b) She sprains her ankle.
(c) She asks to stay, dreading returning to her mother's home.
(d) She comes down with the flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sabina does not share Franz's passion for...
2. Why does Tomas oppose Tereza visiting her mother when she hears she has cancer?
3. For Sabina, what does the bowler hat NOT represent?
4. Why does Tereza visit Sabina's studio?
5. What does Franz try to create for the woman he has fallen in love with?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)