|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his lifetime, Franz has never...
(a) Lost a fight
(b) Fought anyone
(c) Won a fight
(d) Wanted to fight
2. What did Franz's words about love and strength do to Sabina?
(a) Caused her to question his love
(b) Caused her to trust him more than any man she'd ever known
(c) Disqualify him from her life
(d) Made him more attractive in her eyes
3. What was the one thing that Tereza's mother did not allow to exist in her home?
4. What was Tereza training for since childhood?
(a) In the morning, buying breakfast for her husband
(b) Stroking her the hair of the man she loved while he lay asleep
(c) During sleep, holding hands of the man she loved
(d) Falling asleep while in the embrace of the man she loves
5. What did Tereza do with half of the undeveloped roll of films?
(a) Gave them to Sabina
(b) Destroyed them
(c) Hid them from the Russians
(d) Gave them to foreign journalists
6. What did Sabina refuse to do in life?
(a) Deep ranks
(b) Stir an argument
(c) Be unjust
(d) Keep silent
7. For Sabina, what did the bowler hat NOT represent?
(a) Memento of her father
(b) Reminder of the men whom she'd loved
(c) A sentimental object while she was abroad
(d) Reminder of a forgotten grandfather
8. What did Tereza purchase every morning for Karenin?
(a) A sandwich
(b) A bisquit
(c) Slice of cake
(d) A roll
9. After she returned home to her small Czech town, how did Tereza re-enter Tomas's life?
(a) She came to Prague on a business trip and stayed at his home
(b) She phoned him from the railway station, claiming she was in Prague to find a job
(c) He couldn't stop thinking about her and called her to come visit
(d) They ran into each other at a mutual friend's house
10. When was the only time Tereza and Tomas could talk to each other when they worked opposite shifts?
(a) During lunch breaks
(b) When she visited him at work
(c) When he visited her at work
(d) During breakfast
11. What did Franz say about New York?
(a) Its beauty is not original
(b) The height of its buildings is disturbing
(c) Its beauty is unintentional
(d) It is very youthful
12. What did Tereza propose to Sabina?
(a) To take nude pictures of her
(b) That she helps her find a job in photography
(c) That they try to be friends, despite everything
(d) That she leave Tomas for good
13. What did Franz like to take part in?
(b) Getting involved with peace organizations
(c) Writing political articles
(d) Giving political lectures
14. What is the meaning of Tereza's secret vice, her long looks and frequent glances in the mirror?
(a) A yearning to physically fit into society
(b) A longing to be as beautiful as her mother
(c) A longing to be a body unlike other bodies
(d) A desire to be admired by men
15. Whose quartet is based on the following two motifs: "Must it be?" "It must be."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Tereza better understand photography?
2. Franz had given up scores of women because of what misunderstanding?
3. What may have attributed to the female puppy, Karenin, falling in love wtih Tereza rather than Tomas?
4. Why did Tereza refuse the job offer as photographer?
5. What did Marie-Claude's say about the serious car accident she once had?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)