|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tereza's eyes, what do books represent?
(a) They represent a fair and just world.
(b) They represent a world of intellectuals.
(c) They represent a secret world of schools.
(d) They represent an emblem of the secret brotherhood.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 2, why are Sabina and Tomas touched by the sight of the bowler hat?
(a) It has been lost and only recently found.
(b) It reminds them of Prague.
(c) It connects them to the depth of their friendship.
(d) It is a memento of Sabrina's father and grandfather.
3. Why does Tereza's mother marry Tereza's father?
(a) He is the best option for her.
(b) She wants to leave her father's home as quickly as possible.
(c) She gets pregnant.
(d) She falls madly in love with him.
4. What does Tereza's mother appear to be casting off with her immodesty?
(a) She is casting off an old fashioned mentality.
(b) She is casting off the ways of the Communist regime.
(c) She is casting off youth and beauty.
(d) She is casting off her daughter's modest ways.
5. How does Tomas avoid falling in love with the women he becomes intimate with?
(a) He only meets the women at their place.
(b) He does not see any woman more than once a month.
(c) He stops seeing a woman after three encounters.
(d) He never spends the night with a woman.
6. What did Marie-Claude threaten her husband with twenty years prior?
(a) She threatened to have an affair.
(b) She threatened to get revenge for an affair he'd had.
(c) She threatened to commit suicide.
(d) She threatened him with a divorce.
7. With regards to love, what is Sabina's nature?
(d) Open and honest.
8. Why does Franz like music?
(a) His mother was a music lover.
(b) Music helps him be less of a serious man.
(c) Music has been part of his life since childhood.
(d) Music has no words.
9. What was Tereza training for since childhood?
(a) Her holding hands of the man she loves during sleep.
(b) Her stroking her husband's hair while he lay sound asleep.
(c) Her buying breakfast for her husband each and every morning.
(d) Her falling asleep while in the embrace of the man she loves.
10. What feelings does Sabina portray towards the immigrants she sat with?
11. Why does Tomas oppose Tereza visiting her mother when she hears she has cancer?
(a) He knows Tereza is lying.
(b) He dislikes her mother and worries she will cause trouble between him and Tereza.
(c) He discovers her mother is lying.
(d) He fears Tereza is using this as an excuse to leave him.
12. What does Tereza remember most about Dubcek's speech, the one he makes after his return from Moscow?
(a) The trembling of his voice.
(b) His words which carry much humiliation.
(c) The awful pauses in the middle of his sentences.
(d) His courageous tone.
13. Which is NOT one of the objects that gives Tereza the courage to leave home and change her fate?
(a) A necklace.
(b) The book.
(c) The number six.
14. What is the first piece of furniture Franz ever buys for himself?
(a) A bed.
(b) A couch.
(c) A desk.
(d) A table.
15. What does Franz like to take part in?
(a) Writing political articles
(c) Getting involved with peace organizations.
(d) Giving political lectures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Tomas jealous at the bar, where he and Tereza meet with friends to celebrate Tereza's promotion?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 1, where does Franz want to take Sabina?
3. Tereza has a dream where she marches around a pool of naked women who are overjoyed by their sameness. What does this part of her dream represent?
4. What does Sabina do to get back at Tomas for looking at his watch while they made love?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what does Sabina say to the distinguished immigrant that upsets him?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)