|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tereza remember most of Dubeck's speech, the one he made after his return from Moscow?
(a) The trembling of his voice
(b) The awful pauses in the middle of his sentences
(c) His words which carried much humiliation
(d) His courageous tone
2. What was the one thing that Tereza's mother did not allow to exist in her home?
3. After Sabina settled in Paris, what were her thoughts about Franz?
(a) She felt guilty for having left him without a word
(b) She imagined the possibility of them one day uniting
(c) She was sorry to have been so impatient with him
(d) She wished he had never publicized their affair
4. What does Tereza's mother appear to be casting off with her immodesty?
(a) Youth and beauty
(b) The communist regime's ways
(c) Her daughter Tereza's modest ways
(d) An old fashioned mentality
5. What did Tomas initially feel when he discovered Tereza had left for Prague?
6. Why did Franz like music?
(a) Music had been part of his life since childhood
(b) It helped him be less of a serious man
(c) Because it had no words
(d) His mother was a music lover
7. What happened to Franz when he started living alone in a tiny flat?
(a) He stopped being a little boy
(b) He eventually gained the respect of his wife and daughter
(c) He stopped loving Sabina and met someone else
(d) He gained the admiration of Sabrina
8. What did Franz's words about love and strength do to Sabina?
(a) Caused her to trust him more than any man she'd ever known
(b) Made him more attractive in her eyes
(c) Caused her to question his love
(d) Disqualify him from her life
9. What happened once Tomas followed Tereza to Prague?
(a) He questioned their love
(b) He fell deeper in love with her
(c) He was happy to be back in Prague
(d) He apologized for his affairs
10. Sabina understood Franz's...
(a) His need to be a part of her world
(b) His love for his wife and daughter
(c) Distaste for America
(d) His desire to fight Communism
11. Which was NOT one of the fortuities that gave Tereza the courage to leave home and change her fate?
(a) A necklace
(b) The number 6
(c) The book
12. For Sabina, what did the bowler hat NOT represent?
(a) A sentimental object while she was abroad
(b) Memento of her father
(c) Reminder of the men whom she'd loved
(d) Reminder of a forgotten grandfather
13. When they were living in Zunich, what incident caused Tereza to pack her suitcase, take Karenin and leave for Prague while Tomas was at work?
(a) A letter from her mother begging her to return to her
(b) Shes aw Tomas with another woman
(c) An unknown woman had called asking for Tomas
(d) Tomas coming home very late when they were to have had dinner together
14. Whose quartet is based on the following two motifs: "Must it be?" "It must be."
15. What did Sabina like to do when she felt low?
(a) Attend mass
(b) Walk through cemetaries
(c) Walk through gardens
(d) Take a long walk
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Franz respect and worship?
2. What did Franz do during sex that Sabina disliked?
3. At the party, what did Marie-Claude call Sabina's ceramic pendant?
4. What was Sabina's views of modern music?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what aroma did Tereza notice on Tomas's hair?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)