|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Sabina, what did the bowler hat NOT represent?
(a) Reminder of a forgotten grandfather
(b) A sentimental object while she was abroad
(c) Reminder of the men whom she'd loved
(d) Memento of her father
2. Sabina is stirred by her own...
3. What affect did the first week of the Russian occupation have on Tereza?
(a) Led her to want to leave Prague for good
(b) Brought her closest she'd ever been to happiness
(c) Caused her to tremble out of fear
(d) Put her into a depression
4. What did Sabina like to do when she felt low?
(a) Attend mass
(b) Walk through gardens
(c) Walk through cemetaries
(d) Take a long walk
5. What happened at night that caused Tereza to fear that time of the day?
(a) She trembled
(b) She had nightmares.
(c) She dwelt on Tomas's infidelities
(d) She dwelt on Tomas abandoning her
6. In Part 3, Chapter 9, what does Sabina do after she and Franz return from Rome?
(a) She asks Tomas to move in with her
(b) She moves out of her apartment
(c) She tells Tomas she wants to break off the relationship
(d) She asks Tomas what his future plans with her are
7. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what did Sabina say to the distinguished immigrant that upset him?
(a) His immigration assisted teh Russian occupation
(b) He had absolutely no appreciation for the arts
(c) He was a rude unintelligent man who was supported the occupation
(d) He resembled Communist President Novotny
8. Why did Tereza stay at Tomas's home for a week during her initial visit?
(a) She caem down with the flu
(b) She sprained her ankle
(c) She asked to stay, dreading returning to her mother's home
(d) He invited her to stay
9. In Tereza's eyes, what did books represent?
(a) A secret world of schools
(b) An emblem of the secret brotherhood
(c) A world of intellectuals
(d) A fair and just world
10. What did Franz try to create for the woman he had fallen in love with?
(a) an adventerous lifestyle that would keep her from getting bored with him
(b) a warm and trusting atmosphere she could always turn to
(c) an independent space for her in his life
(d) the perfect relationship, in order that she would never have a reason to leave him
11. What was Sabina's views of modern music?
(a) It lacked the rythm and beat that American music had
(b) She disliked it because it reminded her of the occupation
(c) It was loud noise masked as music
(d) She disliked it because it was difficult to dance to
12. What did Franz do during sex that Sabina disliked?
(a) He told her he loved her
(b) He asked if she loved him.
(c) He turned off the light
(d) He closed his eyes.
13. What term did Tereza use to express how she felt about life with her family?
(a) concentration camp
(c) boarding house
14. What happened to Tereza's father after her mother left him?
(a) He died in a car accident
(b) He remarried
(c) He left town
(d) He was imprisoned
15. What does Tereza's mother appear to be casting off with her immodesty?
(a) Youth and beauty
(b) An old fashioned mentality
(c) The communist regime's ways
(d) Her daughter Tereza's modest ways
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tereza do with half of the undeveloped roll of films?
2. Why was Tomas attracted to Tereza?
3. What happened once Tomas followed Tereza to Prague?
4. What did Marie-Claude's say about the serious car accident she once had?
5. Whose quartet is based on the following two motifs: "Must it be?" "It must be."
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)