|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sabina did not share Franz's passion for...
2. What did Marie-Claude's say about the serious car accident she once had?
(a) She'd never had more fun than when she was in the hospital
(b) The accident helped her appreciate her husband and daughter
(c) The accident caused her to never want to drive again
(d) She'd never had more rest than when she was in the hospital
3. What did Tereza do six to seven months after she and Tomas moved to Switzerland?
(a) Pay Sabina a visit
(b) Return to Prague
(c) Return to live with her mother
(d) Get a job as a photographer
4. When they were living in Zunich, what incident caused Tereza to pack her suitcase, take Karenin and leave for Prague while Tomas was at work?
(a) Shes aw Tomas with another woman
(b) An unknown woman had called asking for Tomas
(c) A letter from her mother begging her to return to her
(d) Tomas coming home very late when they were to have had dinner together
5. What did Tereza remember most of Dubeck's speech, the one he made after his return from Moscow?
(a) The trembling of his voice
(b) His courageous tone
(c) The awful pauses in the middle of his sentences
(d) His words which carried much humiliation
6. What did Franz like to take part in?
(b) Getting involved with peace organizations
(c) Giving political lectures
(d) Writing political articles
7. What did Franz's words about love and strength do to Sabina?
(a) Disqualify him from her life
(b) Caused her to trust him more than any man she'd ever known
(c) Caused her to question his love
(d) Made him more attractive in her eyes
8. Whose quartet is based on the following two motifs: "Must it be?" "It must be."
9. After Sabina settled in Paris, what were her thoughts about Franz?
(a) She wished he had never publicized their affair
(b) She felt guilty for having left him without a word
(c) She was sorry to have been so impatient with him
(d) She imagined the possibility of them one day uniting
10. What world evoked in Sabina a sweet, nostalgic memory of her homeland?
11. What was the one thing that Tereza's mother did not allow to exist in her home?
12. In Part 4, Chapter 6, looking in the mirror, why did Tereza feel disgusted by her body?
(a) Compared to other women in the spa, she had very small breasts with large nipples
(b) It reminded her of her mother
(c) It made her feel like a weak child
(d) It didn't have the power to become the only body in Tomas's life
13. After she returned home to her small Czech town, how did Tereza re-enter Tomas's life?
(a) He couldn't stop thinking about her and called her to come visit
(b) She phoned him from the railway station, claiming she was in Prague to find a job
(c) She came to Prague on a business trip and stayed at his home
(d) They ran into each other at a mutual friend's house
14. What incident led Franz to tell his wife about his affair?
(a) Hearing his wife's remarks about Sabina's pendant
(b) Wanting to spend the rest of his life with Sabina
(c) His wife disrespecting him at the party
(d) Having an incredible urge to change his life
15. Why did Tereza refuse the job offer as photographer?
(a) She had no interest photographing cactuses
(b) She was afraid her job would keep her away from Tomas
(c) She wanted a more prestegious job
(d) She didn't like the woman editor at the magazine
Short Answer Questions
1. Sabina understood Franz's...
2. What did Sabina like to do when she felt low?
3. What would have caused Tereza to do anything for her mother?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what aroma did Tereza notice on Tomas's hair?
5. Why did Franz like music?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)