|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Franz respect and worship?
(a) His wife
(b) His mother
(d) His daughter
2. What novel was Tereza reading when she went to visit Tomas?
(a) The Scarlett Letter
(b) Anna Karenina
(c) Pride and Prejudice
(d) War and Peace
3. At the party, what did Marie-Claude call Sabina's ceramic pendant?
4. What may have attributed to the female puppy, Karenin, falling in love wtih Tereza rather than Tomas?
(a) Being given a boy's name
(b) Tomas's long absence from home
(c) Tereza's familiarity with pets
(d) Tereza's attachment to the dog
5. What does Franz worry about daily?
(a) His mistress leaving him
(b) His wife finding about his mistress
(c) His wife having an affair
(d) His wife leaving him
6. What happened to Franz when he started living alone in a tiny flat?
(a) He gained the admiration of Sabrina
(b) He stopped loving Sabina and met someone else
(c) He stopped being a little boy
(d) He eventually gained the respect of his wife and daughter
7. When was the only time Tereza and Tomas could talk to each other when they worked opposite shifts?
(a) When he visited her at work
(b) When she visited him at work
(c) During lunch breaks
(d) During breakfast
8. What is Franz's attitude when it comes to love and strength
(a) Using one's strength on a loved one is considered violence
(b) Love means renouncing strength
(c) Strong people don't know how to love
(d) Being in love makes one strong
9. What happened to Tereza's father after her mother left him?
(a) He remarried
(b) He was imprisoned
(c) He left town
(d) He died in a car accident
10. What was Tereza training for since childhood?
(a) Stroking her the hair of the man she loved while he lay asleep
(b) During sleep, holding hands of the man she loved
(c) Falling asleep while in the embrace of the man she loves
(d) In the morning, buying breakfast for her husband
11. What did Franz feel with regards to his love for Sabina?
12. What did Franz say about New York?
(a) The height of its buildings is disturbing
(b) Its beauty is not original
(c) Its beauty is unintentional
(d) It is very youthful
13. What did Franz do during sex that Sabina disliked?
(a) He asked if she loved him.
(b) He turned off the light
(c) He told her he loved her
(d) He closed his eyes.
14. What did Tereza purchase every morning for Karenin?
(a) Slice of cake
(b) A bisquit
(c) A sandwich
(d) A roll
15. Tereza has a dream where she marches around a pool of naked women who are overjoyed by their sameness. What does this part of her dream represent?
(a) The fear that once she has an affair, she will resemble Tomas's other women
(b) Her fear that one day Tomas will not recognize her from among his many women
(c) The desire to be as strong as other women
(d) Her need to escape her mother's world, where all bodies are equal
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did Tereza use to express how she felt about life with her family?
2. What is Franz's profession?
3. What did Tomas initially feel when he discovered Tereza had left for Prague?
4. What was Marie-Claud's reaction upon hearing of her husband's infidelity?
5. When they were living in Zunich, what incident caused Tereza to pack her suitcase, take Karenin and leave for Prague while Tomas was at work?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)