|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tereza try to see herself through?
(a) Her body
(b) Tomas's love
(c) Her childhood
(d) Her faith
2. At the party, what did Marie-Claude call Sabina's ceramic pendant?
3. What may have attributed to the female puppy, Karenin, falling in love wtih Tereza rather than Tomas?
(a) Tereza's familiarity with pets
(b) Tereza's attachment to the dog
(c) Tomas's long absence from home
(d) Being given a boy's name
4. Which was NOT one of the fortuities that gave Tereza the courage to leave home and change her fate?
(a) The book
(c) A necklace
(d) The number 6
5. What did Sabina refuse to do in life?
(a) Be unjust
(b) Keep silent
(c) Stir an argument
(d) Deep ranks
6. What was the one thing that Tereza's mother did not allow to exist in her home?
7. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what aroma did Tereza notice on Tomas's hair?
(b) a woman's groin
8. Why was Marie-Claude so rude to Sabina?
(a) To take revenge on Sabina, who she knew was having an affair with her husband, by embarrassing her
(b) Because that's the type of person she is
(c) To get revenge on her husband, who she knew loves Sabina
(d) To make clear to Sabina (and others) what the real balance of power was between the two of them
9. After the encounter with the immigrants, which stirred her up quite a bit, how did Sabina react when she saw Franz sitting on a couchette?
(a) She was relieved, sat beside him and told him what had happened earlier
(b) She was taken aback and asked to be left alone for a few minutes
(c) She threw her arms around him and smothered him with kisses
(d) She hugged him and begged,
10. In chapter 1, where does Franza want to take Sabina?
(d) New York
11. What made Tomas jealous at the bar, where he and Tereza met with friends to celebrate Tereza's promotion?
(a) Noticing Tereza flirt with a colleague
(b) Seeing her leaning against a colleague's shouldes as she talked to him
(c) Seeing Tereza talk to a stranger
(d) Watching Tereza dance with a colleague
12. What is the meaning of Tereza's secret vice, her long looks and frequent glances in the mirror?
(a) A longing to be a body unlike other bodies
(b) A desire to be admired by men
(c) A yearning to physically fit into society
(d) A longing to be as beautiful as her mother
13. What was Sabina's views of modern music?
(a) It lacked the rythm and beat that American music had
(b) She disliked it because it was difficult to dance to
(c) It was loud noise masked as music
(d) She disliked it because it reminded her of the occupation
14. After Sabina settled in Paris, what were her thoughts about Franz?
(a) She was sorry to have been so impatient with him
(b) She wished he had never publicized their affair
(c) She felt guilty for having left him without a word
(d) She imagined the possibility of them one day uniting
15. What did Sabina unexpectedly meet in the village church?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the only time Tereza and Tomas could talk to each other when they worked opposite shifts?
2. What did Tereza's mother when she found Tereza's diary
3. What does Franz worry about daily?
4. Tereza has a dream where she marches around a pool of naked women who are overjoyed by their sameness. What does this part of her dream represent?
5. What did Marie-Claude do to spend her time while in the hospital?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)