|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What calms True Son down enough to sleep on his first night in the Butler house?
2. True Son tells himself that he will have to listen to whose counsel from now on?
3. True Son compares white people and Indian people to what?
4. Who is True Son's favorite cousin?
5. Half Arrow says what, as an apology to a guard after True Son attacks Del?
Short Essay Questions
1. Uncle George tells True Son that they have taken the law into their own hands for what reason?
2. Describe Fort Pitt as Del Hardy sees it.
3. Half Arrow presents True Son with gifts. What are they and what messages do they hold?
4. What does True Son think about the white village that the party camps near?
5. What does True Son tell his father about the Susquehanna River?
6. Del describes Colonel Bouquet as the peacefullest man but mad as a wolverine. What is meant by this?
7. Compare/contrast Del Hardy's reaction to seeing Fort Pitt to True Son's reaction to the same.
8. Explain the reasoning for Cuyloga sending the message for True Son not to resist the whites.
9. True Son sees a tree on the march from the camp. Describe the tree and explain what it means to True Son.
10. The guards are amazed at the outpouring of love and grief for the whites that were given up. Although they are astonished at this, what is it that they can't get over? Why do you think that it surprised them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships between True Son and the Butler family. Compare those to the relationships between True Son and his Indian family.
Essay Topic 2
List at least one instance of foreshadowing. What is the role of foreshadowing in literature? Is the author successful in the use of foreshadowing in this story?
Essay Topic 3
After fleeing from the Butler's barn, True Son realizes that he can not go back to that town, or he will be hanged or imprisoned. At the end of the story, True Son can no longer go into Indian territory. Do you think that he regrets either or both actions that have put him in this situation? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)