|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does True Son know that killed himself?
2. What made True Son forget about killing himself?
3. True Son felt that the Indian fathers and mothers would be proud of them during the claiming of the captives for what reason?
4. Why does True Son attack Del?
5. Which uncle does True Son like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe True Son's first meeting with his mother.
2. Describe Fort Pitt as Del Hardy sees it.
3. True Son is humiliated because he hides in attempt to avoid going to the whites. How is he humiliated?
4. What are some of the things that the white soldiers do that True Son, Little Crane, and Half Arrow think are strange?
5. True Son sees a tree on the march from the camp. Describe the tree and explain what it means to True Son.
6. When Cuyloga leaves True Son in the white's camp, True Son thinks about his home in the tribe. How does he remember it?
7. Uncle George tells True Son that they have taken the law into their own hands for what reason?
8. Describe how True Son is dressed when brought into camp and why, according to Del's point of view.
9. True Son envisions how his funeral will be when he kills himself. Describe his vision.
10. When Del and True Son are arguing about whether True Son is white or Indian, True Son holds out his arm and says, "You call this White?" How does Del try to counter this argument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After fleeing from the Butler's barn, True Son realizes that he can not go back to that town, or he will be hanged or imprisoned. At the end of the story, True Son can no longer go into Indian territory. Do you think that he regrets either or both actions that have put him in this situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This story includes many metaphors. Explain what a metaphor is and name at least two from the story. Explain the meaning of the examples that you have picked.
Essay Topic 3
After the failed ambush, what do the Indians do to True Son's face? What does it symbolize, and what following events does it alert True Son to? What does Cuyloga do to his own face in response, and why?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)