|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Half Arrow give to True Son?
2. Where does True Son tell Del that he is going?
3. When Half Arrow shows up, who does he say that he is?
4. Why was True Son taken by his Indian Father?
5. Who does True Son know that killed himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. True Son envisions how his funeral will be when he kills himself. Describe his vision.
2. What did the spell that Cuyloga placed on True Son do?
3. What does True Son tell his father about the Susquehanna River?
4. What does True Son think about the white village that the party camps near?
5. What are some of the things that the white soldiers do that True Son, Little Crane, and Half Arrow think are strange?
6. True Son is surprised that he must go with the whites, even though he know that his tribe must give up all white prisoners. Why is he surprised?
7. When Cuyloga leaves True Son in the white's camp, True Son thinks about his home in the tribe. How does he remember it?
8. Explain the reasoning for Cuyloga sending the message for True Son not to resist the whites.
9. How does True Son compare his white father to Cuyloga?
10. Half Arrow presents True Son with gifts. What are they and what messages do they hold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After fleeing from the Butler's barn, True Son realizes that he can not go back to that town, or he will be hanged or imprisoned. At the end of the story, True Son can no longer go into Indian territory. Do you think that he regrets either or both actions that have put him in this situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationships between True Son and the Butler family. Compare those to the relationships between True Son and his Indian family.
Essay Topic 3
Why does True Son call out a warning to the boat? Do you think that True Son felt the way he did because of Cuyloga's influence, Gordies, something within himself, or a combination? Explain.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)