|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lena carry to prevent them from getting dirty?
(a) Her raincoat
(b) Her boots
(c) Her gloves
(d) Her shoes
2. What does Mr. McEachern want Christmas to do?
(a) Learn how to farm
(b) Memorize his catechism studies
(c) Chop more wood for the house
(d) Become a better fisherman
3. Who is Lena's brother?
4. In the morning, Christmas returns to the cabin and dresses in _____________________.
(b) formal suit and suspenders
(c) t-shirt and jeans
(d) suit pants, white shirt and bow tie
5. Why does Byron think that he and Hightower continue to lead such solitary lives?
(a) Because they do not like team events.
(b) Because they have had disastrous experiences with women before.
(c) Because man is more afraid of change than of the troubles he already has experienced and those familiar to him.
(d) Because they have anti-social personalities
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christmas do after he awakens?
2. Why has Lena left Doane's Mill?
3. Joe begins to work very hard at the farm and soon Mr. McEachern gives him a new _________.
4. What does Christmas do when the horse he is riding back to town runs out of energy?
5. What is in the six metal tins which Christmas digs up in a nearby ditch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is McEachern's death symbolic in this chapter?
2. Why is Byron so skittish as he leads Lena through town to get her settled in a boardinghouse?
3. How does Christmas realize that racial prejudice is not as strong in the North as it is in the South?
4. Why do the townspeople believe that the former Reverend Hightower's wife had disgraced him?
5. Why does Byron regret telling Lena that the man in town named Joe Brown is the man she knows as Lucas Burch?
6. Why does Christmas lose control when he sees Bobbie with another man?
7. Why does Christmas sleep in the stables that night?
8. How does the dietician attempt to thwart disaster in the toothpaste incident?
9. Why does Christmas think that his killing McEachern will make him seem heroic in Bobbie's eyes?
10. The author uses the literary technique of a flashback at this point in the book. What purpose does this serve?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)