|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christmas do when he asks the waitress out and she wants to return home because she has her monthly period?
(a) He never talks to her again.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He tells her that they can make a date for another night.
(d) He hits her, runs away to the woods and vomits.
2. What does the answer to #46 discover when he finds Miss Burden?
(a) That she has been burned almost beyond recognition
(b) That she is incoherent
(c) That her head has been almost severed from her body
(d) That she is still alive
3. Why do the two men in the wagon, Armstid and Winterbottom, give Lena a ride?
(a) So she can give them directions
(b) So she can pay them for the ride
(c) So she can find Lucas
(d) So she can rest awhile
4. How did Mrs. Hightower die?
(a) She had a heart attack.
(b) She either fell or jumped from a Memphis hotel room.
(c) She took an overdose of sleeping pills.
(d) She was in a car accident.
5. Why is Joe ashamed when he places an order for pie and coffee?
(a) He does not have enough money.
(b) He stutters when he talks.
(c) He is too young to drink coffee.
(d) He spills the coffee on his shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Christmas decide to sleep in the stables instead of the cabin?
2. What happens one day when Christmas is taking some of the answer to #61?
3. What does Mrs. McEachern bring Christmas after Mr. McEachern leaves?
4. Why does Christmas feel that something powerful is taking over his body and something irreversible is about to happen?
5. What does Christmas take from Mrs. McEachern's secret hiding place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the details of the murder as told by Byron in this chapter?
2. Why does Christmas sleep in the stables that night?
3. Why does Christmas know that something is going to happen to him on this night?
4. What drives Lena to keep moving on her quest?
5. Why does the dietician set out to destroy Christmas after the toothpaste incident?
6. How does Christmas realize that racial prejudice is not as strong in the North as it is in the South?
7. Why is Bobbie attracted to Christmas?
8. Why are the people of Jefferson not sure that Reverend Hightower is interested in them?
9. What internal conflict does Christmas begin to experience this night?
10. How does the Hightower marriage eventually end?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)