|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the answer to #46 discover when he finds Miss Burden?
(a) That her head has been almost severed from her body
(b) That she is incoherent
(c) That she has been burned almost beyond recognition
(d) That she is still alive
2. Who befriends Hightower after twenty years of his seclusion?
(a) Byron Bunch
(b) Joe Christmas
(c) Lena Grove
(d) Miss Atkins
3. What is the intention of the four boys?
(a) They want to meet some wild girls from out of town.
(b) They are going to have sex with a Negro girl waiting inside the sawmill.
(c) They want to smoke some dope inside the sawmill.
(d) They want to get drunk.
4. What is in the six metal tins which Christmas digs up in a nearby ditch?
5. Byron tells Hightower that a ______________ discovered the fire at the Burden place yesterday morning.
(c) traveling salesman
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Christmas shocked when he arrives at Bobbie's?
2. What do the men do to Christmas?
3. What happens as Christmas comes to in Bobbie's room?
4. Who is Christmas meeting on this night?
5. What does Christmas do when he returns to the spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the townspeople believe that the former Reverend Hightower's wife had disgraced him?
2. How do the other men at the planing mill learn more about Christmas' background?
3. What is the irony of McEachern beating Christmas for not memorizing his catechism lesson?
4. How does trouble find Byron anyway?
5. Who does the dietician turn to in her plans to ruin Christmas?
6. What is Christmas' final act of naivete regarding Bobbie?
7. What is the symbolism of the polished shoes in this chapter?
8. Why does Byron regret telling Lena that the man in town named Joe Brown is the man she knows as Lucas Burch?
9. Why is McEachern's death symbolic in this chapter?
10. Why does the fourteen-year-old Christmas beat the Negro girl instead of having sex with her like the other boys do?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)