|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The story transitions from an eight-year-old Christmas to Christmas at ___________________.
2. When Christmas' position in the room is revealed, the dietician accuses him of __________.
3. What does Christmas do when he earns some more money?
(a) He goes to a movie.
(b) He returns to the restaurant and pays the waitress the balance of what he owed for his pie and coffee.
(c) He takes his friends out drinking.
(d) He buys some girlie magazines.
4. What do the townspeople do after Mrs. Hightower's death?
(a) They send him on a much-needed vacation.
(b) They force Hightower to resign, lock him out of the church and give him momey to relocate.
(c) They send him to a sanitorium,
(d) They tell him to get his act together.
5. What is the intention of the four boys?
(a) They want to smoke some dope inside the sawmill.
(b) They want to meet some wild girls from out of town.
(c) They are going to have sex with a Negro girl waiting inside the sawmill.
(d) They want to get drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christmas do when the horse he is riding back to town runs out of energy?
2. Why is Lena walking down the dusty road?
3. Where does Hightower now spend all his time?
4. What does Mrs. McEachern bring Christmas after Mr. McEachern leaves?
5. Where is Christmas headed with his three friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christmas sleep in the stables that night?
2. Why are the people of Jefferson not sure that Reverend Hightower is interested in them?
3. How does the dietician attempt to thwart disaster in the toothpaste incident?
4. Why does Christmas take Mrs. McEachern's hidden money as she watches him do it?
5. How do the people get their first indications that something is awry in the Hightower marriage?
6. What is Christmas' final act of naivete regarding Bobbie?
7. How does Christmas realize that racial prejudice is not as strong in the North as it is in the South?
8. Why do the townspeople believe that the former Reverend Hightower's wife had disgraced him?
9. Why does Christmas wish that McEachern would discover his absence in the house this night and try to stop him?
10. The author uses the literary technique of a flashback at this point in the book. What purpose does this serve?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)