|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bobbie call Christmas?
(a) A fraud
(b) A juvenile
(c) A liability
(d) A nigger
2. What does the dietician tell the janitor about Christmas
(a) That he is a nigger and will have to be sent to a nigger orphanage
(b) That he is too old to stay in this orphanage
(c) That he will never be adopted
(d) That he will be adopted soon
3. What does Mrs. McEachern bring Christmas after Mr. McEachern leaves?
(a) Some clean clothes
(b) A Bible
(c) A tray of food
(d) Some hot chocolate
4. Who does McKinley think is the father of Lena's baby?
(a) Lucas Burch
(b) Carlton Howard
(c) Larry MacKenzie
(d) Mike Bowers
5. What happens to Lena after she sneaks out of McKinley's house one night?
(a) She goes roller skating.
(b) She goes to a dance.
(c) She gets pregnant.
(d) She studies with a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christmas' plan?
2. What topic about girls do Christmas' friends tell him about which he finds very repugnant?
3. Why is Joe ashamed when he places an order for pie and coffee?
4. Why does Mr. McEachern then go to church?
5. What happens when Mr. McEachern calls Bobbie a harlot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christmas realize that racial prejudice is not as strong in the North as it is in the South?
2. How do the other men at the planing mill learn more about Christmas' background?
3. Why does the fourteen-year-old Christmas beat the Negro girl instead of having sex with her like the other boys do?
4. Why is Bobbie attracted to Christmas?
5. What is the symbolism of the polished shoes in this chapter?
6. Why does Christmas wish that McEachern would discover his absence in the house this night and try to stop him?
7. Why do the townspeople believe that the former Reverend Hightower's wife had disgraced him?
8. Two men give Lena a ride in their wagon but one of them is especially concerned about what people might say. What misgivings do the men have about the situation?
9. Why is Christmas attracted to Bobbie?
10. Why does Christmas think that his killing McEachern will make him seem heroic in Bobbie's eyes?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)