|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christmas take from the McEachern house?
(a) Food for a long trip
(b) All the money that Mrs. McEachern has hidden
(c) His Bible
(d) Enough clean clothes for a long weekend
2. Mr. McEachern tells Christmas that the name "Christmas" is _________ and the boy will be called McEachern.
(a) too seasonal
(d) too holiday-sounding
3. What does the dietician tell the janitor about Christmas
(a) That he is a nigger and will have to be sent to a nigger orphanage
(b) That he will never be adopted
(c) That he is too old to stay in this orphanage
(d) That he will be adopted soon
4. What does Christmas do with the answer to #77?
(a) He refuses the offering.
(b) He makes her set it outside the door.
(c) He accepts the gesture from Mrs. McEachern.
(d) He throws it on the floor.
5. What happens one day when Christmas is taking some of the answer to #61?
(a) Christmas falls asleep.
(b) Christmas breaks a valuable keepsake.
(c) The dietician and her lover enter her room for an amorous encounter.
(d) Christmas soils his clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Christmas comes to in Bobbie's room?
2. Where did Mrs. Hightower go on Saturday nights?
3. Who is Bobbie?
4. What do the other mill workers discover that Joe Christmas has been doing?
5. Why does Mr. McEachern then go to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lena rationalize the fact that Lucas has not yet sent for her?
2. How do the other men at the planing mill learn more about Christmas' background?
3. Why are the people of Jefferson not sure that Reverend Hightower is interested in them?
4. Why does Christmas lose control when he sees Bobbie with another man?
5. How does trouble find Byron anyway?
6. What is Christmas' final act of naivete regarding Bobbie?
7. Two men give Lena a ride in their wagon but one of them is especially concerned about what people might say. What misgivings do the men have about the situation?
8. How does the Hightower marriage eventually end?
9. How do the people get their first indications that something is awry in the Hightower marriage?
10. Why is Bobbie attracted to Christmas?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)